Dave Chappelle: The Closer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I watched part of the show based on the recommendation, I thought it was mediocre. I stopped at da baby murder at walmart. I thought that crossed a line. His comedy used to be about himself, but that was lashing out at celebrities like an amateur snl writer.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I watched the special. I have been a fan of Dave Chappell for some time--"Killing them Softy" and "For What its Worth" being my two favorites. Dave has never been a stranger to controversy or offense; his joke from the 2004 special "How Old is 15 Really" being an example. But this special just wasn't funny. It lacked the heart or spark of his previous work--it felt more manufactured out of an assembly line.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
I watched the special. I have been a fan of Dave Chappell for some time--"Killing them Softy" and "For What its Worth" being my two favorites. Dave has never been a stranger to controversy or offense; his joke from the 2004 special "How Old is 15 Really" being an example. But this special just wasn't funny. It lacked the heart or spark of his previous work--it felt more manufactured out of an assembly line.

He said the trans bombed with her standup. IMO he bombed with this standup. It just wasn't Chappelle like to me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
It was good. Unlike some I like that he goes in on cancel culture. Artists should never be censored. Like Dave says sometimes the most uncomfortable stuff is the funniest stuff. If trans are offended don’t watch, but some of the outrage how he shouldn’t have a show on Netflix is silly. Why do some people’s feelings mean more.

There was nothing genuinely or intelligently funny about some of the discomfort he tried to create. It’s not a question of some people’s feelings meaning more. It’s a matter of being aware that we all have feelings. Attacking people for expressing their feelings is as toxic as “cancel culture”.
His poking and prodding is part of this particular act. he hasn't been about only trying to make people laugh for a while. He wants to make you feel uncomfortable. Attacking people for expressing their feelings shouldn't get people canceled when delivered from his platform.

Creativity should make people think. If someone walks away from show disgusted or laughing that's good.

Eh, I'm of the generation that was around when "cancel culture" meant guys like Lenny Bruce getting arrested for doing comedy and pushing the limits. So I am well aware of edgy comedy and trying to get a reaction as a performance.

That's not what much of this special was about. There was nothing "creative" about the parts of this last special that I am referring to. It wasn't about "making people think" or even just making people laugh uncomfortably. It was about lashing out at a specific group who pissed him off—and even Dave himself acknowledges that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:

Because that's exactly what it was. It wasn't about doing a comedy special as much as it was about punching back out of anger. He structured much of it not to be funny, but to be hurtful towards a group of people who called him out. We can all agree that his previous comedy was about pushing people's buttons for performances sake. But this clearly exceeded that in intent and content.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
It was good. Unlike some I like that he goes in on cancel culture. Artists should never be censored. Like Dave says sometimes the most uncomfortable stuff is the funniest stuff. If trans are offended don’t watch, but some of the outrage how he shouldn’t have a show on Netflix is silly. Why do some people’s feelings mean more.

There was nothing genuinely or intelligently funny about some of the discomfort he tried to create. It’s not a question of some people’s feelings meaning more. It’s a matter of being aware that we all have feelings. Attacking people for expressing their feelings is as toxic as “cancel culture”.
His poking and prodding is part of this particular act. he hasn't been about only trying to make people laugh for a while. He wants to make you feel uncomfortable. Attacking people for expressing their feelings shouldn't get people canceled when delivered from his platform.

Creativity should make people think. If someone walks away from show disgusted or laughing that's good.

Eh, I'm of the generation that was around when "cancel culture" meant guys like Lenny Bruce getting arrested for doing comedy and pushing the limits. So I am well aware of edgy comedy and trying to get a reaction as a performance.

That's not what much of this special was about. There was nothing "creative" about the parts of this last special that I am referring to. It wasn't about "making people think" or even just making people laugh uncomfortably. It was about lashing out at a specific group who pissed him off—and even Dave himself acknowledges that.

Fortunately art is subjective. If the only way people can speak their minds without cancel culture whining about everything is to brand it a comedy special then that’s great. Everyone has the right to voice their opinions.

So now people can’t claim stupidity or cry outrage when he talks about trans. I know Dave is transphobic and I still find him to be great entertainment without being transphobic.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I watched part of the show based on the recommendation, I thought it was mediocre. I stopped at da baby murder at walmart. I thought that crossed a line. His comedy used to be about himself, but that was lashing out at celebrities like an amateur snl writer.

LOL. He wasn't lashing out at Dababy. What are you talking about?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Funny special AND he's in the wrong. Both are true in my opinion.

You can't tell someone they're not allowed to be hurt or offended by your comments.

Dave left $50 mill on the table because he was hurt and offended. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

I've said it a million times. Everyone has their own "line" that once you cross it. It's too far. It's stupid to criticize someone else's "line" when you yourself have your own.

I guarantee you there are some "jokes" that would anger/hurt/upset/piss off Dave the same way he's made others feel.

All that said. I still thought his special was funny.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

You can't tell someone they're not allowed to be hurt or offended by your comments.

Dave left $50 mill on the table because he was hurt and offended. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

I've said it a million times. Everyone has their own "line" that once you cross it. It's too far. It's stupid to criticize someone else's "line" when you yourself have your own.

I guarantee you there are some "jokes" that would anger/hurt/upset/piss off Dave the same way he's made others feel.

he left 50 on the table because he didn't want to conform and he thought some of his skits were starting to cross the line according to his Oprah interview IIRC. Could be wrong.

Its funny people get offended by comics. Thats part of the deal. I know there are the seinfelds out there but that's few and far between.

Eddie Murphy and Chris rock had racists jokes but no one ever called them out. Eddie is a comic god.

People need to chill. All of these pronouns are a new thing and literally changing every day. If something an artist does is offensive deal with it. If Netflix wants to stifle creativity they can do so, but all of those people over there marching in protest should have done that every time a Weinstein film showed up in the queue.

Does anyone claiming outrage disagree with his Caitlyn jab?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:

he left 50 on the table because he didn't want to conform and he thought some of his skits were starting to cross the line according to his Oprah interview IIRC. Could be wrong.

Its funny people get offended by comics. Thats part of the deal. I know there are the seinfelds out there but that's few and far between.

Eddie Murphy and Chris rock had racists jokes but no one ever called them out. Eddie is a comic god.

People need to chill. All of these pronouns are a new thing and literally changing every day. If something an artist does is offensive deal with it. If Netflix wants to stifle creativity they can do so, but all of those people over there marching in protest should have done that every time a Weinstein film showed up in the queue.

I feel like the proper response to your take is my original post.

He has the right to test social norms and boundaries in his comedy. And people also have the right to express how his comments made them feel.

Whether that expression comes in the form of talking to him in person, boycotting him, or encouraging Netflix to take down the special.

It's pretty simple. Anybody complaining about cancel culture is a hypocrite. Unless they are willing to say ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING is fair game. If you feel that is true. Let me know. I'll give you examples of stuff and we'll test your tolerance level.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I feel like the proper response to your take is my original post.

He has the right to test social norms and boundaries in his comedy. And people also have the right to express how his comments made them feel.

Whether that expression comes in the form of talking to him in person, boycotting him, or encouraging Netflix to take down the special.

It's pretty simple. Anybody complaining about cancel culture is a hypocrite. Unless they are willing to say ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING is fair game. If you feel that is true. Let me know. I'll give you examples of stuff and we'll test your tolerance level.

I'm not of the belief he should be censured or cancelled. My basis of contention is that celebrating him for "engaging in art" totally misses his own stated intention and demonstrates a total misunderstanding of art versus petty attacks based on vindictiveness.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject:

I thought it was pretty funny and I can see how some might be offended, but I think he wrapped it up rather nicely and only pushed those buttons to show the parallels between the LGBTQ movement and empathy given to that group versus the BLM movement and way other minorities are treated. Requires some reading between the lines, but it was pretty evident to me.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I'm not of the belief he should be censured or cancelled. My basis of contention is that celebrating him for "engaging in art" totally misses his own stated intention and demonstrates a total misunderstanding of art versus petty attacks based on vindictiveness.

Personally, I don't believe he should be either. But at the same time. I'm not going to say it's wrong for the people he hurt to push for that. I put that under freedom of speech. People have the right to voice their opinions. And since the Supreme Court said companies are people and $ is speech. Netflix has the right to pull his stuff if its in their best interest too.

I do think the line between art and petty attacks is subjective more often than not. On the extremes you can get consensus though.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject:

Dave has been accused. I would like to see him answer the accusations. Explain his mindset. What he conveyed may not have been his intentions.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Dave has been accused. I would like to see him answer the accusations. Explain his mindset. What he conveyed may not have been his intentions.

I thought I heard him say during his special that his problem is they claim to be a minority group but the second they have the chance they will revert to their "privileged" status when it benefits them.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

Other than "Head Detective" and "Homey the Clown" I am not a huge fan of Damon wayans but he did say something interesting on TMZ.

He felt dave's special opened the door for other comics to push away the need to be PC. Dave is the first guy that wasn't chicken bleep to do so.

If that does in fact happen we should thank him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I thought I heard him say during his special that his problem is they claim to be a minority group but the second they have the chance they will revert to their "privileged" status when it benefits them.

If he said that it would explain his intentions but I think he has it wrong. I don't think that community is privileged without explained context. I think that community is looked down on.

Do you think the LGBTQ community has a privileged status?

LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If he said that it would explain his intentions but I think he has it wrong. I don't think that community is privileged without explained context. I think that community is looked down on.

I think the exact example he used was a confrontation he had with a gay white person who called the cops on him and made it into a white vs black confrontation rather than two minorities.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Haven't seen it
Read some thorough reactions
Feel he pushed the envelope to intentionally force people to talk about
Dude doesn't have much hate in his whole body that I know of
But if people hating on him gets their community into dialogue he'll do it
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I think the exact example he used was a confrontation he had with a gay white person who called the cops on him and made it into a white vs black confrontation rather than two minorities.

That makes sense. It also blurs slamming the LGBTQ community. If his intention was to confront the gay White I think he failed.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I thought it was pretty funny and I can see how some might be offended, but I think he wrapped it up rather nicely and only pushed those buttons to show the parallels between the LGBTQ movement and empathy given to that group versus the BLM movement and way other minorities are treated. Requires some reading between the lines, but it was pretty evident to me.

I think it is important to remember that there is a difference between being offended by something, and taking issue with it. I wasn't offended by anything Dave said, I just think it was unnecessarily unkind. It's kind of like witnessing a selfish jerk yelling at a store clerk. It's not a matter of being offended, it a question of why should someone be subjected to that.

As for what you point out about some of his points, I totally agree. There are just ways to make those points without the mean spiritedness, and in fact, that ultimately detracts from the message.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

doesn't the need to explain oneself defeat the purpose of art?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No. Abstract art. An art form that begs explanation. What is the artist trying to convey?

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No. Abstract art. An art form that begs explanation. What is the artist trying to convey?

Abstract art is to make you think.

The minute an artist has to tell us why, changes everything. He is a black man who has had a life of dealing with issues probably similar to LGBQT community. However, from his show he would say worse. So his perspective is only his.

The best part is that Netflix employees want to march. We stifle everything as a society. The minute art...which it already has in some respects, stops being able to be whatever it wants , it's curtains.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Is the rest of it really that monotonous? I can't wait to finish it after work. I'm still at the part where he talks about the unmasked lady. Up to that point it was constant belly laughs.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: