OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD (Shams: Lakers to sign Sekou Doumbouya)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7043, 7044, 7045 ... 7068, 7069, 7070  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 5188

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:
Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?


I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 8844

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:
Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?


I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight


Disagree that nobody is topping that team. Prime LeBron and bubble AD, sure. But I think the reason LeBron (and AD to a lesser extent) obviously campaigned for Rob to make Westbrook happen is that he knows he can't be that guy going forward. He'll still be a top 5 player but him just controlling a game for 48 mins for 82 games + 16 the way he has in the past seems unlikely and thus Russ.

I think in the end had we just kept AC via rights and used Nunn's money on a big wing who can defend and shoot, the outlook would be much better. But I do think eventually Russ/LeBron/AD will figure out that balance. Just might take awhile. Enough to beat a loaded Nets team? Hate to say it but nope. Enough to beat Nets without Kyrie? I think it might be. Either way, Russ is going to have to figure out how to move off the ball when James has it in his. Also AD and Bron are going to have to be high 30's 3% shooters to give Russ the space to get to the basket bc so far Russ seems to drive to the basket only to find congestion and then force a bad pass.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
carjoch831
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Jul 2019
Posts: 635

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight


Include Damian Jones in the Hield trade and we don't have to settle with DJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 5188

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:
Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?


I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight


Disagree that nobody is topping that team. Prime LeBron and bubble AD, sure. But I think the reason LeBron (and AD to a lesser extent) obviously campaigned for Rob to make Westbrook happen is that he knows he can't be that guy going forward. He'll still be a top 5 player but him just controlling a game for 48 mins for 82 games + 16 the way he has in the past seems unlikely and thus Russ.

I think in the end had we just kept AC via rights and used Nunn's money on a big wing who can defend and shoot, the outlook would be much better. But I do think eventually Russ/LeBron/AD will figure out that balance. Just might take awhile. Enough to beat a loaded Nets team? Hate to say it but nope. Enough to beat Nets without Kyrie? I think it might be. Either way, Russ is going to have to figure out how to move off the ball when James has it in his. Also AD and Bron are going to have to be high 30's 3% shooters to give Russ the space to get to the basket bc so far Russ seems to drive to the basket only to find congestion and then force a bad pass.


1) NBA players have egos and want to play with other stars. They don't think about fit and let friendships get in the way of making the right basketball moves. Lebron and AD also know that WB increases media attention and their brand.

2) The idea that the Lakers need Lebron to control a game for 48 minutes is just pure BS. In the regular season, the Lakers need Lebron to control a game for 32 minutes, similar to what he was doing the last 2 seasons when the Lakers have had the best regular season record when everyone is healthy.

Adding WB may decrease Lebron's court time from 32 to 28 minutes, yet the irony is it will make those 28 minutes much tougher because he won't have space to operate and may make us play closer games.

Adding Buddy would have given the Lakers an elite shooter that can also be that 3rd scorer. We haven't had a player like him on the roster since Lebron has been here. Nunn, IMO a better player than Schroder, would have given the Lakers another scorer/creator. He also hits 3s unlike Schroder and better without the ball.

That roster would have it all. Defense, shooting, individual scorers in Buddy/Nunn, size and if the necessary, pieces to make a trade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4482

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

All these injuries may hurt the Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 8844

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:
Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?


I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight


Disagree that nobody is topping that team. Prime LeBron and bubble AD, sure. But I think the reason LeBron (and AD to a lesser extent) obviously campaigned for Rob to make Westbrook happen is that he knows he can't be that guy going forward. He'll still be a top 5 player but him just controlling a game for 48 mins for 82 games + 16 the way he has in the past seems unlikely and thus Russ.

I think in the end had we just kept AC via rights and used Nunn's money on a big wing who can defend and shoot, the outlook would be much better. But I do think eventually Russ/LeBron/AD will figure out that balance. Just might take awhile. Enough to beat a loaded Nets team? Hate to say it but nope. Enough to beat Nets without Kyrie? I think it might be. Either way, Russ is going to have to figure out how to move off the ball when James has it in his. Also AD and Bron are going to have to be high 30's 3% shooters to give Russ the space to get to the basket bc so far Russ seems to drive to the basket only to find congestion and then force a bad pass.


1) NBA players have egos and want to play with other stars. They don't think about fit and let friendships get in the way of making the right basketball moves. Lebron and AD also know that WB increases media attention and their brand.

2) The idea that the Lakers need Lebron to control a game for 48 minutes is just pure BS. In the regular season, the Lakers need Lebron to control a game for 32 minutes, similar to what he was doing the last 2 seasons when the Lakers have had the best regular season record when everyone is healthy.

Adding WB may decrease Lebron's court time from 32 to 28 minutes, yet the irony is it will make those 28 minutes much tougher because he won't have space to operate and may make us play closer games.

Adding Buddy would have given the Lakers an elite shooter that can also be that 3rd scorer. We haven't had a player like him on the roster since Lebron has been here. Nunn, IMO a better player than Schroder, would have given the Lakers another scorer/creator. He also hits 3s unlike Schroder and better without the ball.

That roster would have it all. Defense, shooting, individual scorers in Buddy/Nunn, size and if the necessary, pieces to make a trade.


Rob said the primary objective this summer was getting another playmaker. CP3 and Lowry weren't options. Russ was the only one who's contract situation made him acquirable. So while you make think that the roster you posted "had it all", LeBron and Rob saw differently. They had the Buddy deal done and all parties notified before switching course. So you tell me why? LeBron can't be that guy for all 32 mins he plays nor is there the ability to just bring him back in as needed when things are getting sloppy or out of rhythm (which was the point by my 48 mins comment).

Hindsight is 20/20 but maybe the Lowry trade last deadline was the correct move.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Oct 2017
Posts: 895

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:
Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?


I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight


Disagree that nobody is topping that team. Prime LeBron and bubble AD, sure. But I think the reason LeBron (and AD to a lesser extent) obviously campaigned for Rob to make Westbrook happen is that he knows he can't be that guy going forward. He'll still be a top 5 player but him just controlling a game for 48 mins for 82 games + 16 the way he has in the past seems unlikely and thus Russ.

I think in the end had we just kept AC via rights and used Nunn's money on a big wing who can defend and shoot, the outlook would be much better. But I do think eventually Russ/LeBron/AD will figure out that balance. Just might take awhile. Enough to beat a loaded Nets team? Hate to say it but nope. Enough to beat Nets without Kyrie? I think it might be. Either way, Russ is going to have to figure out how to move off the ball when James has it in his. Also AD and Bron are going to have to be high 30's 3% shooters to give Russ the space to get to the basket bc so far Russ seems to drive to the basket only to find congestion and then force a bad pass.


1) NBA players have egos and want to play with other stars. They don't think about fit and let friendships get in the way of making the right basketball moves. Lebron and AD also know that WB increases media attention and their brand.

2) The idea that the Lakers need Lebron to control a game for 48 minutes is just pure BS. In the regular season, the Lakers need Lebron to control a game for 32 minutes, similar to what he was doing the last 2 seasons when the Lakers have had the best regular season record when everyone is healthy.

Adding WB may decrease Lebron's court time from 32 to 28 minutes, yet the irony is it will make those 28 minutes much tougher because he won't have space to operate and may make us play closer games.

Adding Buddy would have given the Lakers an elite shooter that can also be that 3rd scorer. We haven't had a player like him on the roster since Lebron has been here. Nunn, IMO a better player than Schroder, would have given the Lakers another scorer/creator. He also hits 3s unlike Schroder and better without the ball.

That roster would have it all. Defense, shooting, individual scorers in Buddy/Nunn, size and if the necessary, pieces to make a trade.


Rob said the primary objective this summer was getting another playmaker. CP3 and Lowry weren't options. Russ was the only one who's contract situation made him acquirable. So while you make think that the roster you posted "had it all", LeBron and Rob saw differently. They had the Buddy deal done and all parties notified before switching course. So you tell me why? LeBron can't be that guy for all 32 mins he plays nor is there the ability to just bring him back in as needed when things are getting sloppy or out of rhythm (which was the point by my 48 mins comment).

Hindsight is 20/20 but maybe the Lowry trade last deadline was the correct move.


If the "primary" objective was to get another playmaker... then why was trading for Buddy Hield the first major move we pursued? As you said, it was already a done deal until we pulled out last minute.
_________________
Plan A - Schroder/Hield/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Plan B- Schroder/Powell/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 5188

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:


Rob said the primary objective this summer was getting another playmaker. CP3 and Lowry weren't options. Russ was the only one who's contract situation made him acquirable. So while you make think that the roster you posted "had it all", LeBron and Rob saw differently. They had the Buddy deal done and all parties notified before switching course. So you tell me why? LeBron can't be that guy for all 32 mins he plays nor is there the ability to just bring him back in as needed when things are getting sloppy or out of rhythm (which was the point by my 48 mins comment).

Hindsight is 20/20 but maybe the Lowry trade last deadline was the correct move.


As I said, LeGM could have multiple reasons, some that aren't even related to basketball for going after WB. Plenty of star players try to team up and then realize it doesn't work out - if it always worked out, WB wouldn't be on his 4th team in 4 years.

Lebron and Rob have also made a lot of really bad roster decisions over the years. They have mostly got it wrong rather than right, but when you have Lebron and AD, it doesn't really matter.

Let us just review some of Rob's great decisions:
1) He surrounded Lebron with Stephenson, Beasley and overpaid Rondo instead of bringing back Randle and Lopez. Wasted year 1 of Lebron.
2) Bought Deng out a year before it was required to win the press release.
3) Picked Harrell over Dwight, hard capping the team and signing a player that didn't fit (shades of the WB trade - name over fit. AD and Lebron where also big fans of this signing)
4) Schroder (btw, if you want to see LeGM in action, go read all the quotes last year about how badly Lebron wanted Schroder. We also offered him $20m a year for 4 years)
5) Gasol - Cost us 2 2nd round picks to sign him and then trade him away
6) Drummond - (another AD and Lebron special where we went with name over fit)

My guess is next year we will add trading for WB and letting Caruso walk to this list of bad decisions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 12465

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:
Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?


I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight

I wouldnt say no one is stopping it but I as I said 100 times before I (and pretty much every NBA analyst) liked the Buddy trade so much more. People keep saying Lebron needs someone to take the load off of him well Buddy would do just that because Lebron can take possessions off by playing quarterback, passing to Buddy off screens for easy 3 pointer assists. He used to always do this when he had a legit 3 point specialist he could truly count on like with Ray Allen, Korver, etc.
And then Monk and Nunn would provide enough bucket getting punch as far as having other perimeter players who can create their own shot.
_________________
(bleep) Kawhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 19178

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:
Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?


I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight

I wouldnt say no one is stopping it but I as I said 100 times before I (and pretty much every NBA analyst) liked the Buddy trade so much more. People keep saying Lebron needs someone to take the load off of him well Buddy would do just that because Lebron can take possessions off by playing quarterback, passing to Buddy off screens for easy 3 pointer assists. He used to always do this when he had a legit 3 point specialist he could truly count on like with Ray Allen, Korver, etc.
And then Monk and Nunn would provide enough bucket getting punch as far as having other perimeter players who can create their own shot.


To get Buddy, it would need KCP+Kuz
Without a starting PG, most likely DS would've been resigned
Buddy + DS salary = WB
So THT/AC would've played out similarly
The bigs however, unless Lakers can unload opting in Trez, no money for Dwight/DeAndre

So prob WB or Buddy+DS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 25543

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
If the "primary" objective was to get another playmaker... then why was trading for Buddy Hield the first major move we pursued? As you said, it was already a done deal until we pulled out last minute.


Yes, that's the problem with a lot of attempts to make sense of this offseason. In fairness, I think the thought processes were more nuanced. Here is my speculation. Getting a upgrade for Schroder was a major priority, but there weren't any high level PGs available at a good price point. So the focus shifted to the other major need, which was three point shooting. Then Westbrook became available. He has a lot of warts, but that's what Lebron wanted to do. Jeanie was on board with it, because loading up on names is a Laker tradition. So that was that.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Oct 2017
Posts: 895

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:
Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?


I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.


No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight

I wouldnt say no one is stopping it but I as I said 100 times before I (and pretty much every NBA analyst) liked the Buddy trade so much more. People keep saying Lebron needs someone to take the load off of him well Buddy would do just that because Lebron can take possessions off by playing quarterback, passing to Buddy off screens for easy 3 pointer assists. He used to always do this when he had a legit 3 point specialist he could truly count on like with Ray Allen, Korver, etc.
And then Monk and Nunn would provide enough bucket getting punch as far as having other perimeter players who can create their own shot.


To get Buddy, it would need KCP+Kuz
Without a starting PG, most likely DS would've been resigned
Buddy + DS salary = WB
So THT/AC would've played out similarly
The bigs however, unless Lakers can unload opting in Trez, no money for Dwight/DeAndre

So prob WB or Buddy+DS


Sacramento traded Delon Wright for Tristan Thompson right after the deal fell through. There's a good chance that we included Montrezl Harrell in the package with Kuz and KCP for Buddy and Wright.

Wright would have been a capable secondary ball handler/playmaker alongside Lebron filling the Schroder role while being a better 3pt shooter and defender than Schroder. Schroder is a better scorer but we wouldn't need that much from Wright with Buddy being our 3rd scorer.

So the real comparison should be Westbrook vs Buddy + Wright + AC or Westbrook vs Buddy + KCP + AC.

I don't think we would have traded all 3 of Kuz, KCP and Harrell for Buddy by himself.
_________________
Plan A - Schroder/Hield/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Plan B- Schroder/Powell/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 12465

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

^^^ Buddy trade was Trez+Kuz+1st round pick
and even so, Caruso is basically is better than KCP at everything except shooting (KCP good 3% on high volume Caruso good 3% on low volume) so he is not irreplaceable with the players already on the team.
I'd actually look to trade KCP for a good 3 and D wing if we already have Caruso,Buddy,Monk,Nunn,Rondo,Ellington
_________________
(bleep) Kawhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 5188

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
To get Buddy, it would need KCP+Kuz
Without a starting PG, most likely DS would've been resigned
Buddy + DS salary = WB
So THT/AC would've played out similarly
The bigs however, unless Lakers can unload opting in Trez, no money for Dwight/DeAndre

So prob WB or Buddy+DS


It has been widely reported the deal was just Trez and Kuz for Buddy, which IMO is a steal.

Why do the Lakers need a starting PG? We won a championship 12 months ago starting KCP and Danny Green. We had the best record in the regular season starting Avery Bradley at PG. Lebron James teams don’t need a star or even starting caliber PG.

Buddy and Nunn would have filled the role of secondary creators / scorers and been an upgrade over Schroder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 32201

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
3baller wrote:
If the "primary" objective was to get another playmaker... then why was trading for Buddy Hield the first major move we pursued? As you said, it was already a done deal until we pulled out last minute.


Yes, that's the problem with a lot of attempts to make sense of this offseason. In fairness, I think the thought processes were more nuanced. Here is my speculation. Getting a upgrade for Schroder was a major priority, but there weren't any high level PGs available at a good price point. So the focus shifted to the other major need, which was three point shooting. Then Westbrook became available. He has a lot of warts, but that's what Lebron wanted to do. Jeanie was on board with it, because loading up on names is a Laker tradition. So that was that.


Rob revealed the "objectives" after all the moves were made, so I take them with a grain of salt.

My guess is if we had gotten Buddy, Rob would have said the "primary objective" of the offseason was improving the outside shooting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Oct 2017
Posts: 895

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
^^^ Buddy trade was Trez+Kuz+1st round pick
and even so, Caruso is basically is better than KCP at everything except shooting (KCP good 3% on high volume Caruso good 3% on low volume) so he is not irreplaceable with the players already on the team.
I'd actually look to trade KCP for a good 3 and D wing if we already have Caruso,Buddy,Monk,Nunn,Rondo,Ellington


Thanks for the correction. Didn't know that. Got the 2 for 1 correctly though. Should have included KCP for Wright. KCP's the better 3pt shooter but Wright can playmake and slash better than KCP and is more disruptive on defense than him.
_________________
Plan A - Schroder/Hield/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Plan B- Schroder/Powell/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 32201

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

No one is stopping this team. We also would have had flexibility to package KCP, THT or AC with the player drafted at 22nd to fill a need.

KCP / Nunn/ Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza (or Otto)
AD / Melo
DJ / Dwight


I think that team is one of the top contenders, just the current team is one of the top contenders.

But I wouldn't rubber stamp that team to a ring, or even to the finals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scout_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 22 Oct 2020
Posts: 643

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

Should of sign Otto .....


We are missing that swiss knife 6"9 athlete
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 10480
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Should of sign Otto .....


We are missing that swiss knife 6"9 athlete


Yea Porter is looking like a miss. Guy is shooting the ball well. If he stays healthy he definitely will have been a miss. Not sure if he signed for the min, but if so he would’ve been better than Ellington or Bazrmore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 36170

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Should of sign Otto .....


We are missing that swiss knife 6"9 athlete


We can’t sign any 1 we want just because that player is intriguing, maybe Porter Jr wanted to play for the Warriors, everyone isn’t gonna line up and play for us just because we are the Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 17689

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

At the time, I thought the Lakers were interested but maybe Otto just wanted to go play in GS system and get his career back on track.

GS system fits his game.
_________________
My main focus is we win, nothing else matters.
-Rajon Rondo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
gng930
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 9181

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Otto would have been much less redundant than Nunn with that MLE and could've started if AD was indeed going to play the 5. My best guess is that they didn't want to blow the MLE on a player so recently limited by injury. He probably also saw a chance to start for a contender while they work Klay back in to the starting lineup.
_________________
Luxury Tax/FA Spreadsheet (Save to your Google Drive to edit)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 26462

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
At the time, I thought the Lakers were interested but maybe Otto just wanted to go play in GS system and get his career back on track.

GS system fits his game.


Not impugning Lebron here, but since he came here, no free agent has really raised their value here except Caruso and Rondo. Almost every other player (including the ones we drafted) saw their value decline. Dwight resuscitated his career but didn’t make more money. OPJ’s camp might have factored this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 3053

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Many criticisms on roster construction by LeGM/Rob.

Just from another point of view.

Pat Riley would not let Lebron have more say in the direction of the roster. Since leaving Miami LeGM 2 titles Riles ZERO

In LeGM's 3 years as designated Lakers defacto GM as proclaimed by a few posters here:

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

Sure I don't agree with all the decisions LeGM/Rob has made but what GM has not made questionable moves and fallen under scrutiny of their fan base? The majority here still believe that barring injuries the Lakers were one of the prohibitive favorites to hang banner 18 from the rafters last season.

Am I wrong to say many here were elated with the Harrell and Schroder signings at this time last season? Also lets not put some of the decisions made during Magic's tenure as President of Basketball Ops solely on Rob. Magic had the final say from my understanding. Also no one can overstate the job LeGM/Rob did in pulling the Lakers out from the avalanche of ridicule hurled on them by the media when Tragic trashed the Lakers upon his departure.

Who wants to go back to being the Lakers pre-Lebron?


Last edited by PlantedTanks on Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 3053

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
At the time, I thought the Lakers were interested but maybe Otto just wanted to go play in GS system and get his career back on track.

GS system fits his game.


Not impugning Lebron here, but since he came here, no free agent has really raised their value here except Caruso and Rondo. Almost every other player (including the ones we drafted) saw their value decline. Dwight resuscitated his career but didn’t make more money. OPJ’s camp might have factored this.


Doesn't this statement apply to 99.9% of all superstar led teams? Bucks, GSW, Clips, Trailblazers, Mavs. These are usually vet FA's who have peaked as players on the court and offer a specific skill set to complement the stars. Maybe not necessarily increase in value but those that do benefit are the young teammates of the superstars who receive nice paydays on their next contracts usually with the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7043, 7044, 7045 ... 7068, 7069, 7070  Next
Page 7044 of 7070
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB