OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject:

Rob has a tendency to fix things that are not broken.

Last years team was fine and had an elite defense.
And shooting was not that bad.

Pelinka needs another advisor like Magic to give him a second opinion.

His mistakes are too obvious to understand.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Seriously?
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

He's got two advisors in LBJ and AD how are you going to remove these?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

Now we could ask him that obvious question "if it ain't broke, why'd he fix it?"

Lebron, AD, and Green were a good combo. Green didn't have his best year but he was still a good decoy to spread the floor for Lebron. If we were to maintain that same recipe of Lebron/AD + shooter, why did Rob trade DS? DS wasn't a good shooter. Now, he traded for WB, which is just a faster version of DS. "If DS didn't work, we're gonna try it again this year." Makes perfect sense.

Having someone to take the load off of Lebron is just plain idiocy. You have the best ballhandler in the game, why would you not let him handle the ball the entire game? If he gets tired, then just play him every other game. That's how you load manage him correctly.

Caruso/KCP/Heild would have kept our team young and scary but since Rob is incompetent, he couldn't see it. Wishful thinking. Now we're stuck with an average team and no draft picks. At least, we still have Lebron. The future is bright.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
laker50 wrote:

He's got two advisors in LBJ and AD how are you going to remove these?

The biggest mistake the Lakers made was not rewarding Mr. Clutch a lifetime contract or if they let Magic buy a piece of team why not Jerry West the best talent evaluator ever! Grooming Mitch once he got to comfortable with Jimmy became a disaster & we basically got lucky getting Pau. Even though LBJ brought us a title look at the cost & what we have to go through every year. Rob has two things going for him, first LOS ANGELES LAKERS, second LBJ for now…

Jerry got burnt out, but as soon as he hinted in coming back they shoulda offered him the part ownership & I believe he would’ve accepted instead of going to Memphis, like I said he is a heck’va advisor & who better knows the NBA…
HC: Riley
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Rob is such a bad GM until he proves otherwise. The level of idiocy in the moves he makes is really unbearable. If I wasn't such a loyal, life long supporter, I would leave this team, because it is so frustrating to understand the mistakes he and Jeanie make countless of times.

50 years, and this is the least attached I've ever felt to the team. The lack of foresight, loyalty, and random stat chasing has left me under enthused and I can barely identify who my favorite player is (probably don't have one). For the first time ever, it doesn't bother me when they lose. Watching this team with their high expectations reminds me of the beginning of Covid. It seems to me this is not going to end well.

This is how I feel. I still don't understand how talent falls into our lap and we squandle it away. Zo, DLO, BI, Randle, JC fell into our laps and we said, "this is not the Lakers. Let's spread the love around the league, trade them all away for an older superstar and a soft, glassman in AD. AD's statistics look really good on a losing team. Who cares about sustainable success. We will win 1 championship, but we will be stuck in the middle of a rock and a hard place. That is the lakers." SMH it's hard to get over idiocy.

It's hard to watch and enjoy the games. There's nothing really exciting about them. I get so frustrated watching the games. It's like I know when losing is gonna come and if we win, I'm not joyful. I'm not down neither, I just move on.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

i think the lakers knew they were trading the longterm for short term success to get a chip with LBJ.

question is would Zo, BI and Hart get your a chip with LBJ? no idea. at least in the moment, Zo kinda sucked that season. BI couldn't hit a 3 to save his life, but my gut says if Bron was at least 4 years younger, they might have grinded out a ring with that crew.

but Bron's window is very short. AD is better than any of those guys. he was better than all 3 combined AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME. Zo is finally getting his ish together and BI can hit a 3 with regularity now. so now it's a different story.

i feel magic was the reason we lost randle. but it was a combo of we wouldn't give him more than a 1 year contract and he didn't really want to be Bron's backup. still ridiculous we let him walk as a restricted FA. should have just made him suck it up and see how the season played out.

Dlo is still wildly inconsistent. haven't watched him in a while? does he play any semblance of D now? that trade was fine, got us out of mozgov, gave us lopez and kuz. magic still let brook walk which will always be a mystery to me.

trading Zu? another magi head scratcher. not like Zu is alonzo mourning or anything, but still...

JC? yup, why didn't we keep him? no idea. he did get A LOT better with the jazz. i think it was "more of the same" with the cavs though?

but i get what you are saying, these cats were (and still are) young. they are still developing, learning. BUT if you have elder LBJ, there's no time to wait.

and any of these guys might find their way back to the lakers at some point in their careers. never say never.

Outspoken wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Rob is such a bad GM until he proves otherwise. The level of idiocy in the moves he makes is really unbearable. If I wasn't such a loyal, life long supporter, I would leave this team, because it is so frustrating to understand the mistakes he and Jeanie make countless of times.

50 years, and this is the least attached I've ever felt to the team. The lack of foresight, loyalty, and random stat chasing has left me under enthused and I can barely identify who my favorite player is (probably don't have one). For the first time ever, it doesn't bother me when they lose. Watching this team with their high expectations reminds me of the beginning of Covid. It seems to me this is not going to end well.

This is how I feel. I still don't understand how talent falls into our lap and we squandle it away. Zo, DLO, BI, Randle, JC fell into our laps and we said, "this is not the Lakers. Let's spread the love around the league, trade them all away for an older superstar and a soft, glassman in AD. AD's statistics look really good on a losing team. Who cares about sustainable success. We will win 1 championship, but we will be stuck in the middle of a rock and a hard place. That is the lakers." SMH it's hard to get over idiocy.

It's hard to watch and enjoy the games. There's nothing really exciting about them. I get so frustrated watching the games. It's like I know when losing is gonna come and if we win, I'm not joyful. I'm not down neither, I just move on.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Rob to me, does not know what he is doing. Rather than bringing in Jerry West to mentor him, Jeanie rejected him because she is harboring ill feelings towards him because he didn't approve of her and phil. So Rob has to keep making these mistakes, until he learns. Though he keeps making countless mistakes.

Yes, we won a championship, but now we are stuck in purgatory due to his mistakes he has made. And it's gonna depend on Rob's moves from here on out to see if we move to heaven or closer to hell.

Going back to our young core, I think that a lot of times we get stuck on individuals, and not the collective. How would they play as a unit?

PG.) Zo
SG.) DLo
SF.) BI
PF.) Randle
C.) Moz

6th Man JC

I know people here for whatever reason don't like Jim and now mitch possibly becuase of what the tabloids and media would say. They believe everything they read and hear. Jim is the bad guy, Jeanie is the good guy. Though, Jim and mitch's plan was to have more sustainable success than the momentarily quick fix. Homegrown talent. That was the reason for Deng's and Moz's, they were putting their chips on the young core to be successful.

It's not about who they were presently, but who they could develop to be. We seen flashes of who they can be vs teams like the warriors, when they blew them out and played as a team before Zo. Before BI got traded, he was playing his best ball. Then he got the bloodclots. Zo didn't even get his feet wet.

It's not that Laker fans are spoiled, they just appreciate other teams talent more than their own, unless it is a superstar. They don't care for the process of a player becoming a superstar or a team becoming a dynasty.

And we just traded them away because the FO felt sod was better than watering the soil.

I wasn't for getting LeBron. I knew what came with it, and also, he's not a Laker type of talent to me, at the point of his career we got him. Yes, he is extremely talented, but he is very soft to me - in terms of always flopping, being a drama queen, I don't feel he is mentally tough, and I don't really care to watch his game. He just rubs me wrong. He doesn't come off as real and he depletes team. Getting Bron isn't a recipe for sustainable success.

I wasn't for getting AD because getting him, in how much we were giving, isn't a recipe for sustainable success. And then when I seen that we valued Kuz more than Zo and BI, and didn't even negotiate. We said we will give you Zo, BI, Hart, and 1st's.... then people say we weren't getting AD without that. Even though we didn't negotiate to be sure and we were in the driving seat. He already told other teams he wouldn't re-sign with them. I knew it was gonna hurt this team. But he is a Laker type in terms of excitement, but he too is also soft. He was also having great success, statistically on a losing team.

We got Bron and AD, whatever. Time to move forward. In moving forward, we win a championship. Great. But then right after winning a championship, we break up a championship team after their 1st championship. I have never seen that done in the history of sport, but with Rob, he will be the 1st.

Fast forward to this year. I actually like the potential of this team, but they have to give the keys to Westbrook, if we want any success with this team. Vogel has to also get his rotation together, but of Westbrook isn't in the driver seat, it'll be hard for us to win.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I have never seen a young team stockpile as much young talent as OKC did. But even though they had 3 MVPs, a host of picks and young players, they still end up with 0 titles.

We never had even 1 MVP level talent, who could lead a team to a title. I'm not saying we got great value out of the young guys, but I've seen teams with 3 future MVPs who didn't win together when they were all young and together.

It's tough, because you need that MVP level player for sure. Not sure Lakers ever even had a top 10 player, a perennial all-star, let alone a MVP that could lead the team to a title. They should take the title and run. Anything they get on top of this is gravy, IMO. Again, see the Thunder, 0 titles despite having 3 future MVPs (2 with them) and they never end up winning a title.

Meanwhile Giannis, one MVP level guy and a mix bag of vets and some players they brought up in the system, won a title. It's hard to say really. I think you have to first get that player you think can lead you to a title. Which to be honest, I don't think we ever drafted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

OKC went to the finals once with the young 3, was always in contention and was 1 game from going to the finals again, against Warriors. Just Durant didn't step it up. If they had went that year, I feel they would have won it all. OKC made the wrong move by putting chips in on Serge and not Harden. That is what hurt them in the long run.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
This. Dude. Right. Here.

Out > > > In

Schroder >>> Westbrook
KCP >>> Nunn
Kuz >>> Melo
AC >>> Monk
Trezz >>> Dwight
Drummond >>> DJ
Kieff >>> Ariza
McLemore >>> Bazemore
McKinnie >>> Ellington
Cook >>> Rondo

He is killing it on the buyout market. Low risk and high reward.

Low risk and no reward would be more accurate.

Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
This. Dude. Right. Here.

Out > > > In

Schroder >>> Westbrook
KCP >>> Nunn
Kuz >>> Melo
AC >>> Monk
Trezz >>> Dwight
Drummond >>> DJ
Kieff >>> Ariza
McLemore >>> Bazemore
McKinnie >>> Ellington
Cook >>> Rondo

He is killing it on the buyout market. Low risk and high reward.

Low risk and no reward would be more accurate.

That was really funny.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
OKC went to the finals once with the young 3, was always in contention and was 1 game from going to the finals again, against Warriors. Just Durant didn't step it up. If they had went that year, I feel they would have won it all. OKC made the wrong move by putting chips in on Serge and not Harden. That is what hurt them in the long run.

That's the problem with young players though is that they usually can't close the deal and actually win the Championship since they have to go against other great teams with guys that are seasoned veterans and have been in those situations many times already. The OKC model is a 1 in a million too, they basically hit the lottery multiple years in a row and were absolutely flooded with talent yet still didn't win. It doesn't matter if they came "close" or maybe could have won "next year" they came away with 0 Championships at the end of the day.

I feel we would have been back2back Champions for sure if not for our extreme bad luck with injuries to both of our Superstars but that's part of the game and at the end of the day we didn't win it all.

Lakers are about winning Championships not sustaining mediocrity with a solid young core. I'd say they have done a pretty amazing job of this over the last 30 years when you look at the rest of the league.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Regarding Jim's plan... it was himself who put a clock on his plan. Maybe he had higher expectations and it didn't pan out, but IIRC he said something along the lines of "give me X years to make the playoffs" and the team didnt deliver.
Lakers are about rings. Hindsight is 20/20 but LBJ delivered a ring, you may argue we could be in better position to get more, but in the end of the day, the ring we have is what counts.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
This. Dude. Right. Here.

Out > > > In

Schroder >>> Westbrook
KCP >>> Nunn
Kuz >>> Melo
AC >>> Monk
Trezz >>> Dwight
Drummond >>> DJ
Kieff >>> Ariza
McLemore >>> Bazemore
McKinnie >>> Ellington
Cook >>> Rondo

I think so far it looks like
Westbrook > Schroeder
KCP > Nunn (TBD)
Kuz > Reaves
AC > Baze
Dwight > Trez
DJ > Drummond
Melo = Kief
Monk > McLemore
Ellington (TBD)> McKinney

And the biggest one:
AD (with WB) >>> AD (with DS)
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

That's the problem with young players though is that they usually can't close the deal and actually win the Championship since they have to go against other great teams with guys that are seasoned veterans and have been in those situations many times already. The OKC model is a 1 in a million too, they basically hit the lottery multiple years in a row and were absolutely flooded with talent yet still didn't win. It doesn't matter if they came "close" or maybe could have won "next year" they came away with 0 Championships at the end of the day.

I feel we would have been back2back Champions for sure if not for our extreme bad luck with injuries to both of our Superstars but that's part of the game and at the end of the day we didn't win it all.

Lakers are about winning Championships not sustaining mediocrity with a solid young core. I'd say they have done a pretty amazing job of this over the last 30 years when you look at the rest of the league.

Though, OKC made it to the finals and were 1 game away from going to the finals again...... Warriors won a championship with their youth and still contention with their youth. We don't even know what this team could have done with the youth because we traded away all our young talent. We could have also put veterans around the youth. We could have kept the promising ones and traded away the ones that we felt weren't. Most the teams that are winning now, aren't veteran teams; like been in the league for a while. They are Superstar veterans; Super teams.

Lakers aren't about winning championships. Jerry Buss and Jerry West were about winning championships. Jerry West Understood how to sustain success. This FO isn't about sustaining success, otherwise, they wouldn't have traded away the youth prematurely and over bided for Anthony Davis, while feeling like Kuz was the best out of the bunch. We traded them a way, whatever. We happened to won a championship and now stuck in purgatory. But if this FO was about winning championships, they wouldn't have dismantled a championship squad after their 1st championship. If this FO was about winning championships, they wouldn't have hired Magic. If they were about winning championships, they wouldn't have rejected Jerry West to mentor Rob. The list goes on.....

They don't have a formula, they are just hoping to get lucky.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Ignoring that none of the players the Lakers had were on Steph Curry (all time greatest shooting point in league history) or Durant (greatest wing scorer outside of Kobe and MJ). Ingram, Randle, DLo, Ball. All really good but none of those guys are touching Curry/Durant.

Even in this hypothetical dream where we pay and keep 6 max players (look at the salaries of those dudes) it still means Lakers need the Lebron, Curry, Durant level player to get it done. Which they don’t have in this scenario. I dunno, i don’t see what’s so bad in having a ring, AD and Bron, and now adding a 3rd all star in Westbrook. We won a ring, and have a decent shot at maybe another one. Most franchises would kill for one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

The only Genius GM that kept making the team worst each year.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
The only Genius GM that kept making the team worst each year.

So this may end up being true, but right now it’s just hard to say.

It’s actually LeBron/Klutch that have a history of this happening at every stop…
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

Lay off Pelinka..

This is all Lebron/Clutch

Lebron got his whole crew to the lakers and what is Pelinka supposed to do?

This is what happens with every lebron led team.

Generational players like LeBron run the team.. Thats just how it is
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

Not closing on Lue as coach…was that Rob or Bron?
Not closing on 3rd max guy in 2019…was that Rob or Bron?
Not offering longterm deals to retain assets resulting in massive roster overall every season…was that Rob or Bron?
Avoiding the tax like a plague AFTER trading for a 3rd max and knowing you still had a 5m dead cap hit on your books…was that Rob or Bron?
Speaking of which, decision to stretch Deng even after that cap space wasn’t realized in 2018…was that Rob or Bron?

Bron couldn’t even have his boy Dudz brought back as an assistant coach. I mean, even Kawhi was able to do that with the cLips.

Couldn’t even bring in his boy Melo on a minimum deal 3yrs ago when he first joined up and after the Thunder/Hawks buyout.

Did LeDon come in and make one of his capos a Laker bball ops exec?

Dude has a say in personnel, but he is at the mercy of what Rob/Kurt/Buss ultimately decide. Otherwise he would have green lit Caruso and forced ownership to pay up as part of a Klutch tax.
FYI: THT as an early bird player Klutch klient was eligible for a starting yr1 max of 10.5m, but instead he reupped at a starting of 9.5m saving the Lakers roughly 3.5m in taxes this year.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

He should step down by himself. Its obvious he doesn't have any control over any decisions. At this point Lebron is taking shots and Pelinka is there for nothing. Save some pride and leave. I wish that for him because I actually like his approach to things but just he cant do anything with Lebron as part of the squad.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
This. Dude. Right. Here.

Out > > > In

Schroder >>> Westbrook
KCP >>> Nunn
Kuz >>> Melo
AC >>> Monk
Trezz >>> Dwight
Drummond >>> DJ
Kieff >>> Ariza
McLemore >>> Bazemore
McKinnie >>> Ellington
Cook >>> Rondo

I think so far it looks like
Westbrook > Schroeder
KCP > Nunn (TBD)
Kuz > Reaves
AC > Baze
Dwight > Trez
DJ > Drummond
Melo = Kief
Monk > McLemore
Ellington (TBD)> McKinney

And the biggest one:
AD (with WB) >>> AD (with DS)

the biggest issue now is
AD of 2019 >> AD of now
LBJ of 2019>LBJ of now
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Not closing on Lue as coach…was that Rob or Bron?
Not closing on 3rd max guy in 2019…was that Rob or Bron?
Not offering longterm deals to retain assets resulting in massive roster overall every season…was that Rob or Bron?
Avoiding the tax like a plague AFTER trading for a 3rd max and knowing you still had a 5m dead cap hit on your books…was that Rob or Bron?
Speaking of which, decision to stretch Deng even after that cap space wasn’t realized in 2018…was that Rob or Bron?

Bron couldn’t even have his boy Dudz brought back as an assistant coach. I mean, even Kawhi was able to do that with the cLips.

Couldn’t even bring in his boy Melo on a minimum deal 3yrs ago when he first joined up and after the Thunder/Hawks buyout.

Did LeDon come in and make one of his capos a Laker bball ops exec?

Dude has a say in personnel, but he is at the mercy of what Rob/Kurt/Buss ultimately decide. Otherwise he would have green lit Caruso and forced ownership to pay up as part of a Klutch tax.
FYI: THT as an early bird player Klutch klient was eligible for a starting yr1 max of 10.5m, but instead he reupped at a starting of 9.5m saving the Lakers roughly 3.5m in taxes this year.

Not closing on Lue as coach…was that Rob or Bron? why do we want Lue as coach?
Not closing on 3rd max guy in 2019…was that Rob or Bron? that is on snake Kawhi
Not offering longterm deals to retain assets resulting in massive roster overall every season…was that Rob or Bron? we offered deals to KCP/Kuz/THT, who else do you want? DS?
Avoiding the tax like a plague AFTER trading for a 3rd max and knowing you still had a 5m dead cap hit on your books…was that Rob or Bron? tax is kind of Jeanie's issue
Speaking of which, decision to stretch Deng even after that cap space wasn’t realized in 2018…was that Rob or Bron? Magic was the GM at the time, and we should never give Deng that contract in the first place
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
He should step down by himself. Its obvious he doesn't have any control over any decisions. At this point Lebron is taking shots and Pelinka is there for nothing. Save some pride and leave. I wish that for him because I actually like his approach to things but just he cant do anything with Lebron as part of the squad.

even if this is true, the next guy will be the same, so Rob stepping down or not doesn't change a thing. why should he give up the job for free?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 143 of 243
Jump to: