JESSE BUSS for GM.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
He’s definitely more bball savvy than Rob.

I am not sure about that. I think old man Rob can still beat Jesse one on one.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Why exactly are we armchair quarterbacking a replacement for a front office that just won an NBA Championship a little over a year ago?

And some of these names. Jesse Buss? Ryan West? Good God.

EDIT: Wow, didn't even realize the date on this thread. Neeeeevermind.

Last edited by Username on Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Why exactly are we armchair quarterbacking a replacement for a front office that just won an NBA Championship a little over a year ago?

There's a GM vacancy. Rob got promoted to President of BBall op.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:

Since when? Last I saw his title was Vice President of Basketball Operations and General Manager.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:

Jesse Buss as post-Pelinka Lakers GM doesn't really sound too farfetched, does it?
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Username wrote:

Jesse Buss as post-Pelinka Lakers GM doesn't really sound too farfetched, does it?

I don't think there's going to be a "post-Pelinka" era for a long time. He's 51 and likely not going anywhere anytime soon.

Jesse will always be around, obviously, because he's a Buss. But it's hard to say where things will sit 5-10 years from now with the team and its ownership.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:

EDIT: Wow, didn't even realize the date on this thread. Neeeeevermind.

Oh yeah and I got sucked in. Too funny.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Username wrote:

I don't think there's going to be a "post-Pelinka" era for a long time. He's 51 and likely not going anywhere anytime soon.

Jesse will always be around, obviously, because he's a Buss. But it's hard to say where things will sit 5-10 years from now with the team and its ownership.

Pelinka's rich. Rich as Nazis. And the post-LeBron Lakers might not go through a smooth transition towards sustained success with AD + sidekick TBD.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Username wrote:

I think Rob will eventually shed the GM title and just be head of Basketball Ops and Jesse moves up and answers to Rob. I just wonder what Joey will do.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Username wrote:
Username wrote:

I think Rob will eventually shed the GM title and just be head of Basketball Ops and Jesse moves up and answers to Rob. I just wonder what Joey will do.

I think that's more likely than Pelinka walking away.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Username wrote:
Username wrote:

It's possible. A big part of the GM job going forward is going to be fostering relationships with agents around the league, most specifically with Klutch - even post-LeBron. Pelinka has done a great job of that and the Lakers are once again a top free agent destination. I don't know whether or not Jesse Buss can keep that going, but the next GM needs to be able to.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Username wrote:

Pelinka's rich. Rich as Nazis. And the post-LeBron Lakers might not go through a smooth transition towards sustained success with AD + sidekick TBD.

He + Bryant family will eventually be minority owners. I give that 5-10 years time. By that point, Jesse will be fully ready to run the show, with Joey ready to undergo whatever grooming he needs to polish him up for the next few rungs on the ladder.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

well, why can't jesse and Rob coexist? Rob as president, jesse as GM?

but yeah, regardless of whether or not Rob needs the money (he doesn't), he obviously loves his job. i'm sure running the Lakers is a hell of a lot more rewarding than getting players the most money possible.

Rob's not going anywhere. don't' forget, he's still a basketball player at heart. he's living his dream

Cutheon wrote:
Username wrote:
Username wrote:

He + Bryant family will eventually be minority owners. I give that 5-10 years time. By that point, Jesse will be fully ready to run the show, with Joey ready to undergo whatever grooming he needs to polish him up for the next few rungs on the ladder.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:

Negative.

He's both Vice-President of Basketball Operations and GM.

Source: The official 2021-22 Lakers Media Guide, page 10.
https://bit.ly/2YVIYf9
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:

Negative.

Im curious about this, if Rob is Vice President of Basketball Ops, then who is the President of Basketball Ops?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Stop it. The cult of Rob hatred is just ridiculous.

Rob played at a high level (like in the Final Four) and Rob earned all of his positions, he didn't inherit them.

Jesse's done a good job - there's no need to crap on Rob for Jesse's sake.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:

Negative.

Im curious about this, if Rob is Vice President of Basketball Ops, then who is the President of Basketball Ops?

Most likely, Jesse skips GM and goes to PBO (that's what Jim did}.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

seriously. do you guys need to see a Rob vs. Jesse 1-on-1 game or something?

Rob is 6' 6" for God's sake!

Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Rob played at a high level (like in the Final Four) and Rob earned all of his positions, he didn't inherit them.

DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

As much as I love Jesse's talent evaluation and another Buss along with Jennie that I actually like and support. I just don't know he is GM material, you need savvy negotiator and good public speaker as a GM, not just a good eye for talent. I don't see Jesse being that, but I can see leap frogging Rob in title because of his last name.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
As much as I love Jesse's talent evaluation and another Buss along with Jennie that I actually like and support. I just don't know he is GM material, you need savvy negotiator and good public speaker as a GM, not just a good eye for talent. I don't see Jesse being that, but I can see leap frogging Rob in title because of his last name.

I am not sure Jeanie will let Jesse leapfrog Rob. Though Jeanie hasn't been public about it, from her actions she appears to have complete trust in Rob by giving him Magics VP of Basketball Ops title and retaining him after all the serious allegations that were made. Keeping Rob on with a promotion in the face of the Lakers becoming the laughing stock in the media after Magic's inflated ego tour says a lot.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Username wrote:
Username wrote:

Who do you expect to sell their shares in the organization to them? It isn’t a crazy idea, I never expected AEG to sell.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Username wrote:

Is AD + Jayson Tatum enough to sustain a championship contender. Just a feeling Tatum is destined to be a Laker.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

No you & the RobMob need to stop. He got the job due to Kobe. Check the 1hr15min mark of her most recent interview:

https://link.chtbl.com/oa5Xz9OD

She hired 2 Laker lifers in Magic & Kobe (by proxy via Rob). Magic was big picture and really just the public face for the organization while Rob was supposed to be the guy ironing out minutiae in accomplishing that big picture. So I take it as Magic telling Rob, I envision sitting in Bron’s driveway waiting till free agency hits in convincing him to become a Laker….can you get us the capspace? And Rob then proceeds to renounce a Restricted Jules and trade Zu to the cLips to get off his caphold.

Quote:
“Excellence is what the Lakers stands for, what Jeanie Buss and Earvin Johnson embody, and what coach (Luke) Walton demands from our players. That obsession for greatness is what will bring Lakers basketball back to a championship level. With Jeanie and Magic guiding the vision, I am thrilled to help architect the future. I am really excited to get to work.”

In Jeanie Buss’ vision, Johnson will be the Lakers’ big-picture leader and public face with final say on basketball decisions, while Pelinka will handle the mechanics of contracts and salary cap management.

“Rob’s knowledge of the NBA landscape and the CBA, as well as his relationships with GMs around the league, are invaluable,” Johnson said. “After running a successful sports agency, and as someone who truly understands the inner workings of salary caps and player negotiations, he will bring the additional skills and experience needed in the Lakers’ executive office.

Imho, Magic took one for his “sis”. He surely didn’t hire Rob and that’s blatantly obvious since he would be able to outright fire Rob for “backstabbing” him if that dude was his indeed his hire. Magic was forced in a relationship with that guy and there was even backlash as to why there wasn’t more due diligence in the hiring of another black man at the executive level.

Quote:
As word got out that new Los Angeles Lakers president Magic Johnson quickly hired a general manager that doesn’t look like the former NBA superstar, there was a collective groan from qualified and aspiring NBA general managers who do.

Although the league was 74.5 percent black in 2015, the only black team president was Los Angeles Clippers president and coach Doc Rivers. Currently, the NBA only has three black general managers among 30 teams: New Orleans Pelicans’ Dell Demps, the New York Knicks’ Steve Mills and Nigerian Masai Ujiri of the Toronto Raptors. Just hours after the Johnson news broke, surprising news followed that NBA agent Robert Pelinka, who is white, would soon be hired as the Lakers’ next general manager.

Pelinka represents former Lakers star Kobe Bryant, a future Hall of Famer and the franchise’s all-time leading scorer. Even in early retirement, Bryant still has major influence on the Lakers.

“Los Angeles has always been about hype,” one high-ranking black NBA team executive said. “Kobe obviously had influence in getting Pelinka pushed through the door.”

“I heard that this was coming,” another high-ranking black NBA team executive said. “He has a real connection with Kobe.”

Pelinka has no previous experience in an NBA front office. His pending hiring by the Lakers has been compared to the Golden State Warriors’ hiring of general manager Bob Myers, who went from agent to front office. However, Myers originally joined the Warriors on April 14, 2011, as assistant general manager/vice president of basketball operations after a 14-year stint as an NBA agent. The former UCLA forward actually worked under then-Warriors general manager Larry Riley during his first season concentrating on contract negotiations, talent evaluation, roster management, scouting and collective bargaining agreement compliance. It was Riley who drafted two-time NBA MVP Stephen Curry and NBA All-Star Klay Thompson. But as general manager, Myers guided the Warriors to a 2015 NBA championship, re-signed Thompson and Draymond Green, orchestrated a blockbuster signing of 2014 NBA MVP Kevin Durant, signed one of his former clients in Andre Iguodala and was the 2015 NBA Executive of the Year.

For Pelinka, there will be no season to be an understudy.

https://theundefeated.com/features/magic-johnson-lakers-gm-rob-pelinka/

As for Rob’s bball savvy…he’s clearly well rehearsed with building relationships with affluent athletes and he’s been very exploitive when opportunities arise (stars demanding trades, buyouts, etc)….but in terms of really constructing a roster, yeah I would say he’s not too savvy.

Quote:
If Pelinka was telling people that Magic was mostly MIA, he wasn’t exactly spilling state secrets. This had been a topic of great discussion for quite some time, with innumerable other sources who saw it first-hand saying the same thing. One agent who deals with the Lakers, for example, found all the handwringing about Magic’s exit comical at the time because – duh – Pelinka had been running the front office without Johnson the entire time as it was. -Sam Amick of The Athletic

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Username wrote:
Username wrote:

Who do you expect to sell their shares in the organization to them? It isn’t a crazy idea, I never expected AEG to sell.

The Dodger guys. Soon-Shiong's money is in safer, more stable pots, while the Dodgers guys are more subject to market influences. PSS' net worth is poised to balloon in the next few years - he's locked up the vaccination market for South Africa and other places.

The bigger questions: where do the Bryants get the money and is Vanessa that geeked about owning a sports team?

PSS' stake in the Lakers is worth about $250 million, and the Dodger guys are in at over a billion. The rarity of the asset almost certainly will command a premium above the base value.

Last time I checked, Kobe's estate was in the $400 million range. Much of it was illiquid or in future contract payments. While Kobe's estate generates millions, Vanessa would likely have to borrow close to her entire net worth just to get 4.5% of the team . . . and pay a mortgage on it. To buy the Dodger guys out, she'd need to borrow a billion dollars more than she's worth.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: JESSE BUSS for GM.

OdomGrab wrote:
We need to start a movement to take back the lakers from
1. magic
2. jennie
3. rob
4. lebron

I always predict these things and I know that Jesse will eventually become the Lakers managing person.

5 missed payoffs enough is enough.
As laker fans we need to ppl writing articles to push for jesse buss in a leadership role instead of entitled baby #2

randle was amazing and instead we have kcp
dlo was talented instead we have lonzo

why is magic shipping all the talent away for trash?
he likes guys who are in his circle like kcp
i will never forgive him for letting randle go for 9 mill

we liquidate and move forward with ingram kuz hart and lebron
rest of these guys are rentals and garbage

Since when did we start shutting down half way through the season?
These guys should leave themselves oout of embarrassment.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: