JESSE BUSS for GM.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: JESSE BUSS for GM.

LGFan wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:
We need to start a movement to take back the lakers from
1. magic
2. jennie
3. rob
4. lebron

I always predict these things and I know that Jesse will eventually become the Lakers managing person.

5 missed payoffs enough is enough.
As laker fans we need to ppl writing articles to push for jesse buss in a leadership role instead of entitled baby #2

randle was amazing and instead we have kcp
dlo was talented instead we have lonzo

why is magic shipping all the talent away for trash?
he likes guys who are in his circle like kcp
i will never forgive him for letting randle go for 9 mill

we liquidate and move forward with ingram kuz hart and lebron
rest of these guys are rentals and garbage

Since when did we start shutting down half way through the season?
These guys should leave themselves oout of embarrassment.

At least the DLO hype has died down. When Randle retires, some LGer will start a thread to retire his Lakers number.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

He + Bryant family will eventually be minority owners. I give that 5-10 years time. By that point, Jesse will be fully ready to run the show, with Joey ready to undergo whatever grooming he needs to polish him up for the next few rungs on the ladder.

The only way I see that happening is in the Buss family decides to sell out to a consortium, and Rob is in the consortium. That strikes me as unlikely.

I don't see the Bryant family ever becoming involved.

Right now, buying even a 2% share of the Lakers would probably cost you at least $80 million; a 5% share would cost at least $250 million. I doubt Rob has that much money, and I doubt the Bryant family would want to spend that much money for a tiny share of the franchise.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
He’s definitely more bball savvy than Rob.

Stop it. The cult of Rob hatred is just ridiculous.

Rob played at a high level (like in the Final Four) and Rob earned all of his positions, he didn't inherit them.

Jesse's done a good job - there's no need to crap on Rob for Jesse's sake.

Because he was a role player on a Final Four team 30 years ago, he must be a bball expert? Lmao. Literally anyone can say “Hey Lebron how about this guy?”

He “earned” his position because he was Kobe’s agent and Jeannie is the most nepotistic owner in the history of sports.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Rob played at a high level (like in the Final Four) and Rob earned all of his positions, he didn't inherit them.

Because he was a role player on a Final Four team 30 years ago, he must be a bball expert? Lmao. Literally anyone can say “Hey Lebron how about this guy?”

He “earned” his position because he was Kobe’s agent and Jeannie is the most nepotistic owner in the history of sports.

How did Jesse Buss get his job?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

He was a nepotistic hire for sure. But he’s the rare hire that actually put in the work and has proven his acumen time and again. Finding Larry Nance Jr, Kuzma, Josh Hart at the end of the first round. THT, Thomas Bryant, Bonga and Svi in the second round. Austin Reeves undrafted.

What Rob move stands out? Blowing a 1st on Wagner? The Danny Green trade? The Schroeder trade? Giving up a first for Russ when Washington might have GIVEN us a first to shed his salary? Releasing Gasol to sign Deandre Jordan? Promising starting jobs to DS and Drummond? Giving up everything the Pels wanted in an AD trade where there were zero other suitors (and already in motion before he took over)?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:
Why exactly are we armchair quarterbacking a replacement for a front office that just won an NBA Championship a little over a year ago?

And some of these names. Jesse Buss? Ryan West? Good God.

There's a GM vacancy. Rob got promoted to President of BBall op.

Negative.

He's both Vice-President of Basketball Operations and GM.

Source: The official 2021-22 Lakers Media Guide, page 10.
https://bit.ly/2YVIYf9

Because we have no GM, so he covers both. Once we get a GM, he'll oversee the position and the GM will answer to him. Same thing when Magic was president of bball op and Rob was GM or Jim and Mitch.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:
Why exactly are we armchair quarterbacking a replacement for a front office that just won an NBA Championship a little over a year ago?

Negative.

Because we have no GM, so he covers both. Once we get a GM, he'll oversee the position and the GM will answer to him. Same thing when Magic was president of bball op and Rob was GM or Jim and Mitch.

There's no requirement for a team to have both a VP of basketball operations and GM. A number of teams have one person who fills both jobs.

It's not a given the Lakers intend to split the titles into two jobs, even if they have done so in the past.

Teams use all sorts of different titles for people involved in roster/player management, There is no precise definition of the duties of any particular title. It varies from organization to organization.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

well that's still a hell of a lot more than jesse buss as far as BBall experience. (as in playing organized basketball on a high level) it's still more than our coach, daryl morey, Pop, shall i go on?

do you know how hard it was to be even on that Michigan team?

sh*t, i bet Rob smokes nearly all your asses on the court... still. LOL!

believe me i'm not a Rob jock sniffer, i just have a problem with a bunch of internet GMs actually thinking they know something on a professional level. even if you had the right idea on a trade, i bet NONE of you actually have the acumen to pull it off. period.

pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

He was a nepotistic hire for sure. But he’s the rare hire that actually put in the work and has proven his acumen time and again. Finding Larry Nance Jr, Kuzma, Josh Hart at the end of the first round. THT, Thomas Bryant, Bonga and Svi in the second round. Austin Reeves undrafted.

What Rob move stands out? Blowing a 1st on Wagner? The Danny Green trade? The Schroeder trade? Giving up a first for Russ when Washington might have GIVEN us a first to shed his salary? Releasing Gasol to sign Deandre Jordan? Promising starting jobs to DS and Drummond? Giving up everything the Pels wanted in an AD trade where there were zero other suitors (and already in motion before he took over)?

Dude, are you even seeing what you're posting? You credit Jesse for picking Svi Myhailuk and blast Rob for picking Mo Wagner . . . in the same draft!

You don't think maybe they worked together? You've clearly lost all objectivity.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:

Negative.

There's no requirement for a team to have both a VP of basketball operations and GM. A number of teams have one person who fills both jobs.

It's not a given the Lakers intend to split the titles into two jobs, even if they have done so in the past.

Teams use all sorts of different titles for people involved in roster/player management, There is no precise definition of the duties of any particular title. It varies from organization to organization.

What was the point of given Rob that title then? Why not just keep it as a GM?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:

Negative.

The Lakers made up a new position for Magic, President of Basketball Ops. The Executive VP was left open after Jim left. They did away with the President title and promoted Rob to Executive VP while retaining GM. This left a clear message to the media that Rob was here to stay and they would not hire another executive above him. In other words, Rob is the boss.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Dude, are you even seeing what you're posting? You credit Jesse for picking Svi Myhailuk and blast Rob for picking Mo Wagner . . . in the same draft!

You don't think maybe they worked together? You've clearly lost all objectivity.

From everything i read, Rob took credit on the Wagner pick. You can find the article where he asked Kuzma and Hart if it looked like fun to play with him. It’s the only he pick he ever took credit for (and it was only because he went to the same school as Rob, but apparently that makes you a basketball genius according to others). Jesse Buss talked about finding all the guys i mentioned above. Never mentioned Wagner and i recall reading somewhere he didn’t want him. I’m not gonna find the articles for you to convince someone who himself doesn’t seem much interested in objectivity. But google jesse buss and any of those names.

Jesse has long been credited for back of the draft picks. Scouting college players without immediate physical talents is one of the hardest things to do. Anyone can ask Lebron what he thinks about established role player X or 2013 allstar Y.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I mean seriously, we added like 5 2-guards this offseason. One of them was undrafted player that Jesse Buss scouted (Reeves). The others were established vet Rob signings. Who’s the one you want on the floor to close a game?

Imagine if someone who sees the game on the level that Jesse does got to build out the whole roster instead of letting Lebron do it because you’re trying to minimize your own liability if it doesn’t work out? Rob mentioning how much Kuzma and Josh Hart liked Wagner sticks out to me. Every move has to have a “but he liked it too!!” safety net. Can never be his own man. Grow some balls (and a basketball brain)!
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
From everything i read, Rob took credit on the Wagner pick. You can find the article where he asked Kuzma and Hart if it looked like fun to play with him. It’s the only he pick he ever took credit for (and it was only because he went to the same school as Rob, but apparently that makes you a basketball genius according to others). Jesse Buss talked about finding all the guys i mentioned above. Never mentioned Wagner and i recall reading somewhere he didn’t want him. I’m not gonna find the articles for you to convince someone who himself doesn’t seem much interested in objectivity. But google jesse buss and any of those names.

Jesse has long been credited for back of the draft picks. Scouting college players without immediate physical talents is one of the hardest things to do. Anyone can ask Lebron what he thinks about established role player X or 2013 allstar Y.

Rob states Mo was a big target of Magic within the first minute.

The scouting staff reportedly wanted Omari Spellman who has busted out of the league.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/5/28/18643253/lakers-rumors-scouts-2018-nba-draft-moe-wagner-omari-spellman-rob-pelinka-magic-johnson-espn-story
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:

Negative.

The Lakers made up a new position for Magic, President of Basketball Ops. The Executive VP was left open after Jim left. They did away with the President title and promoted Rob to Executive VP while retaining GM. This left a clear message to the media that Rob was here to stay and they would not hire another executive above him. In other words, Rob is the boss.

That seems as good a guess as any. With an organizational as untransparent and political as the Lakers are, I don't even try to guess what the rationale behind decisions are. It could be as simple as Rob asked for the title and Jeanie said, sure, why not.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

That seems as good a guess as any. With an organizational as untransparent and political as the Lakers are, I don't even try to guess what the rationale behind decisions are. It could be as simple as Rob asked for the title and Jeanie said, sure, why not.

Well I try to use common sense although sometimes it only makes sense to me
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: JESSE BUSS for GM.

Dr. Laker wrote:
LGFan wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:
1. magic
2. jennie
3. rob
4. lebron

I always predict these things and I know that Jesse will eventually become the Lakers managing person.

As laker fans we need to ppl writing articles to push for jesse buss in a leadership role instead of entitled baby #2

At least the DLO hype has died down. When Randle retires, some LGer will start a thread to retire his Lakers number.

Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:

Negative.

Lol true.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

Trudell sits with Jesse and you can find more of the interview within the link….

Quote:
We sat down with Buss, the youngest of Dr. Jerry Buss’s six children, to discuss the usage of two-way contracts, draft strategy in the late first and second rounds, LAL’s 2022 draft pick, Max Christie, and more:

MT: With the trading of several of the team’s draft picks across the past few seasons, you’ve still managed to unearth first Alex Caruso, and then Austin Reaves as undrafted free agents. I know you typically have a board of 60 players in order on draft day; how has that evolved?
Jesse Buss: I think our board has expanded naturally over time due to the addition of two-way contracts. Once those were available for us to use, we had to go past the 60, because we want to look at so many more players, and have a bigger master list. Luckily, we had Austin on our board, and we were able to secure a deal with him on a two-way once he went undrafted, so we felt pretty good about that from the jump.

MT: How did you first become familiar with his game? I assume at Wichita State, before his transfer to Oklahoma?
Buss: We were familiar with him at Wichita State, and he had a very different role there. He was more of an off-ball shooter, and asked to be more of a glue guy for that program. Once he came to Oklahoma, his junior year, he started to show more capability with the ball in being more of a scoring option on offense. We were pretty familiar with him then, obviously being in the Big 12, he got a lot more exposure and was playing against a lot of good programs. He was on our radar as a guy we felt could translate to a good role player, though we weren’t sure what level after his junior year. But once he came back for his senior year, early on, I watched a game of his against TCU, and I think it was his best game of the season. He had a season high in points, 32, a season high in assists, nine, and he really just did everything. Not just from an offensive standpoint, because he was the No. 1 option for Oklahoma, but obviously, coming into our team, his role was going to be different. I felt it was the little things he did; he competed the entirety of the game. He wasn’t a guy taking plays off, especially defensively; he really got after it on defense. Even though he was the No. 1 option, he showed a big-time motor for hustle plays. He was diving for loose balls, trying to draw charges, getting his teammates involved. It really became apparent to me that he had the talent of a first round pick after that game; it was because he was a complete package. There are still areas he can grow, and really expand his offensive game. For us last season, he didn’t get to show a lot of what he can do with the ball, like he did at Oklahoma.

MT: This past draft, the Lakers purchased the No. 35 pick in the second round from Orlando, leading to the selection of Max Christie. With (VP of Basketball Operations) Rob Pelinka leading the way,
Buss: This year, we were very aggressive. Typically, when making calls to other GM’s and assistant GM’s, a lot of times teams are unwilling to part with their draft picks, especially in the second round, until they know who’s available with that selection. So you see a lot of those picks move on the clock. It’s typically a last minute thing where another team may not be comfortable using that pick because the players they were prioritizing were off the board. So it was kind of unique in the sense that we were able to acquire that pick before the draft. We did have some time to continue to study film, even though we pretty much had our board finalized. But really zeroing in on the four or five players that we thought would be available there.

MT: I remember texting some folks after the trade with Orlando that the Lakers were now in “Jesse Buss Range,” since you’ve had a strong track record in the late first, and early second rounds. Players like Kyle Kuzma (No. 27) and Larry Nance, Jr. (No. 27), or Josh Hart (No. 30) and Ivica Zubac (32). Even including later picks like Jordan Clarkson (No. 46) and Talen Horton-Tucker (No. 46), and about the only guy who isn’t still in the NBA is Anthony Brown (No. 34). Looking back, any connective tissues for you in finding players at those spots?
Buss: A lot of times when we’re discussing the board, it comes down to potential vs. production. In the particular cases of the guys we’ve had success on that were older in college, we felt their production and who we thought they’d be as NBA players were just too high to pass on. What I mean by that is, in comparison, there were players with upside that were available at those picks. But we felt that even if those guys hit their upside, the player we were getting with those selections was going to be a better player five years from now. That’s really what we focus on when we’re ranking these guys. We want whoever is going to be the best long-term player for the Lakers. My philosophy is that any time we draft a player for the Lakers, I want him to finish his career here. I want him to make the case that he’s a player here for the long run.

MT: To zoom in on this year’s pick, what was the thought process on draft day?
Buss: We were looking at two or three players, all who we had first round grades on. Max was highest on the board. But it was definitely close. There were a lot of talented guys left on the board. We felt comfortable with Max because getting him here with Coach Ham and his staff, Max is going to develop into a pretty good player, long term, for us.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/jesse-buss-qa-220919

Sorry, but I had to lol at this part….

Quote:
Buss: From a talent perspective. There was a lot of room for growth with him. At a young age, he had a pretty good handle, a pretty good mid-range game. I think he can develop into a pretty good shooter at the NBA level. (Legendary scout and Lakers assistant coach/advisor) Bill Bertka always says, “He has true size for his position.” For a two guard with Christie’s height (6’6’’) and length, he really is true to his position. He’s not a guy that’s undersized. And we think he can guard multiple positions once he’s able to get stronger. He’s a good athlete – he tested as one of the best athletes at his position at the combine, vertically and agility wise, and we think he has pretty good length. He can be a disruptor on that end.

Clearly, they ain’t valuing Bill’s opinion on positional length in regards to constructing the rest of the roster.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: JESSE BUSS for GM.

OdomGrab wrote:
1. magic
2. jennie
3. rob
4. lebron

He’s a great talent scout for drafts but I don’t know if that would make him a great GM
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: JESSE BUSS for GM.

Car54 wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:
1. magic
2. jennie
3. rob
4. lebron

He’s a great talent scout for drafts but I don’t know if that would make him a great GM

IF the Lakers depart from Rob they need to bring in a talented and
experienced NBA GM. This little circus of putting the wrong person in
the wrong position needs to end.
Again, IF Rob is gone otherwise, nada to do...
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Asking Jeanie to hire outsiders would be like giving hair gel to a bald man. It's pointless. Rob would make a great assistant GM for his background in negotiation as a play agent. Jesse would make a great GM for his experience in scouting. Talent evaluation is the most important trait for a GM.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Asking Jeanie to hire outsiders would be like giving hair gel to a bald man. It's pointless. Rob would make a great assistant GM for his background in negotiation as a play agent. Jesse would make a great GM for his experience in scouting. Talent evaluation is the most important trait for a GM.

Wow, that's a stretch lol...
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

OK - we don't know whether or not Jesse Buss would have the humility and wisdom to hire true professionals at the GM and other key Front Office positions while he sticks to his strengths and puts the organization first. All we know is that he's had a great track record at scouting late round picks, which means he knows a little about players who can make a team competitive.

What we also know is that Jeannie shows none of those traits.

Purely academic discussion here, we're not lucky enough at the moment for this to be anything more.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: