The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Really enjoyed Last Night in SoHo. Not perfect, some parts could have baked a bit more, but it was fun and the pay off is well worth it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Any Dune watchers on LG.com?

Is Zendaya in Dunes 2021?

Yep. She's reprises Sean Young's role in the movie.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Really enjoyed Last Night in SoHo. Not perfect, some parts could have baked a bit more, but it was fun and the pay off is well worth it.

This fall is crazy with stuff I want to see. Going to try and catch both Last Night and The French Dispatch this weekend.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

House of Gucci will likely do solid business, get a few Oscar nominations, and be much worse than The Last Duel.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

This fall is crazy with stuff I want to see. Going to try and catch both Last Night and The French Dispatch this weekend.

Looking forward to your thoughts on both. I probably won't catch French Dispatch until next week.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

House of Gucci will likely do solid business, get a few Oscar nominations, and be much worse than The Last Duel.

So true
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

So true

It's such an Oscar bait movie, but I hope Ridley finally gets his Best Director win for what looks like a fun trash movie.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I never watched original or read the books

It was beautiful, A bit long but I liked it. I was in a vegetative state when I watched it so It was good for that mood. It said it was part 1 so I will definitely follow it. I don't want to give anything away. Was weird to see mamoa without a beard.

lol huge spoilers I keed, I keed.

I want to see it on a big screen first so holding off to catch it with some friends who are diehards later this week. I'm not enamored with Lynch's 1984 movie (it's become a cult classic for some folks) and I've never read the books, but excited to see what Denis V. can come up with.

Just saw it an IMAX

Freaking fantastic. Loved it.

Pacing was good. Unlike the David Lynch Dune (which you can basically see here for free on Youtube, it's a "fan edit" but has like 95% of original content
) it does not try to narrate alot of back story, instead the world is brought to life with the characters - which means more depth, but obviously need more than 1 film to get through.

If you want sort of abridged version of the story, the Lynch Dune does that. It's pretty clear this new one they intended to take their time and get more detailed.

In sum, it's the type of movie you go to a movie theater for. The soundtrack is incredible, you feel the ground shake when the sand worms appear, and you get to take in both the beauty and deadliness of the desert. The actors did a great job, the actors all owned their part, nothing really parroted the prior film other than, of course, some of the lines from the book had to be repeated as they are key to the story.

Can't wait for when they release part 2. Likely will go see again.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject:

Just saw Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit the movie on Amazon Prime, simple predictable but pretty entertaining
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

So true

It's such an Oscar bait movie, but I hope Ridley finally gets his Best Director win for what looks like a fun trash movie.

Just saw the trailer……wow, what a complete and utterly expensive piece of (bleep)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Halflife wrote:

It was beautiful, A bit long but I liked it. I was in a vegetative state when I watched it so It was good for that mood. It said it was part 1 so I will definitely follow it. I don't want to give anything away. Was weird to see mamoa without a beard.

I want to see it on a big screen first so holding off to catch it with some friends who are diehards later this week. I'm not enamored with Lynch's 1984 movie (it's become a cult classic for some folks) and I've never read the books, but excited to see what Denis V. can come up with.

Just saw it an IMAX

Pacing was good. Unlike the David Lynch Dune (which you can basically see here for free on Youtube, it's a "fan edit" but has like 95% of original content
) it does not try to narrate alot of back story, instead the world is brought to life with the characters - which means more depth, but obviously need more than 1 film to get through.

If you want sort of abridged version of the story, the Lynch Dune does that. It's pretty clear this new one they intended to take their time and get more detailed.

In sum, it's the type of movie you go to a movie theater for. The soundtrack is incredible, you feel the ground shake when the sand worms appear, and you get to take in both the beauty and deadliness of the desert. The actors did a great job, the actors all owned their part, nothing really parroted the prior film other than, of course, some of the lines from the book had to be repeated as they are key to the story.

I've never read the novels, I'm not an apologist for Lynch's more idiosyncratic, if far messier 1984 version, and it's not a fictional universe that interests me much, but DV's Dune is a flat out rad movie.

This is what Hollywood blockbusters should be. Villeneuve's control of visual scale really shines, it's stylish as hell, and everything is made with obvious talent and care from the huge physical sets to the CGI design, costuming, sound, and score. It's a marvel to see on a big screen.

Eric Roth seems to have been brought in to rein in some of Villeneuve's more dour, self-serious tendencies (see the commercial flop, BR2049), which makes the final product less distinctively his, but he remains a gifted image-maker with shots reminiscent of Apocalypse Now, David's The Death of Marat, and of course Lawrence of Arabia. When so many blockbusters these days seem like same-y colorless, weightless, quip heavy 4-quadrant mush, the look and feel of Dune's universe are refreshingly unique even if the hero's journey plot is familiar.

Is it a great movie? No. But it's a big, loud, cool, well-made blockbuster when those are in short supply. Hopefully Dune's box office success leads to more weird sci-fi epics getting greenlit.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Everybody who isn't the Fremen in Dune:

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Did you go? I have tickets to The French Dispatch for this Saturday
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject:

25 days from Licorice Pizza and nothing is out yet. Come on Alamo, get your act together.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Did you go? I have tickets to The French Dispatch for this Saturday

Missed out on French Dispatch over the weekend, but planning on it by the end of this week.

Soho was solid - a tentative thumbs up from me. Wright loses control of tone in a few places where his Gialli source material is more effectively unnerving (Argento's stuff) or offsets campiness with sheer nastiness (Fulci). Some of the CGI design on the "faceless" reminded me too much of The Frightners and the mean girls subplot made the opening weak, but the stylish flashback sequences were really impressive and push it into positive territory for me.

I've read some harsh critical backlash against the twist, which seems like obtuse misreading. I appreciate Wright staying true to genre roots while trying to add some contemporary depth, though the CGI-fest that follows the twist goes from gonzo fun to outright silly in spots. Basically, the middle two-thirds really work, and whereas some critics feel the twist ending undermines what came before, I thought it was an interesting attempt that just doesn't quite hit.

Also, Stamp and Rigg (RIP) were awesome.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I have a ticket to see The Doors Live at the Bowl 1968 at the Collection in Oxnard. They are playing it all over on Thursday night only. My sisters are seeing it in Riverbank and Livermore.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I have a ticket to see The Doors Live at the Bowl 1968 at the Collection in Oxnard. They are playing it all over on Thursday night only. My sisters are seeing it in Riverbank and Livermore.

Should have a happier ending than Gimme Shelter.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Someone is having a bit of cheeky fun with Alfonso Arau's Wikipedia page:
Quote:
Among a plethora of roles in his career, Arau played "Captain Herrera", a lieutenant of Federal general "Mapache", in Sam Peckinpah's 1969 western The Wild Bunch, chief bandit "El Guapo" in Three Amigos (USA, 1986), a comedy with Martin Short, Steve Martin, and Chevy Chase, shady businessman Manuel in the comedy Used Cars (USA, 1980), and the smuggler "Juan" in Romancing the Stone (USA, 1984) starring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.

Anyway, dude was great as El Guapo.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Spoiler alert: Jim dies a few years later.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject:

If you can catch Todd Haynes' Velvet Underground doc in a theater, absolutely go for it. The opening notes of Venus in Furs over the title card rattled my teeth and the unique imagistic, sonic collage of avant garde art, rare performance footage, voice overs and distorted guitars Haynes has assembled overwhelmed me on a big screen. A true celebration of the band's music but also of the mid-60s NY artistic environment in which they formed, Haynes' film is the kind of art that makes you want to go out and create art.

A+ hippie bashing, everyone acknowledging Lou Reed was a brilliant prick, and Jonathan Richman being the generous, beautiful genius he is gushing about his favorite childhood band are highlights.

The Card Counter is the best new movie I've seen in 2021. Haynes' VU doc is easily second. Then the rest.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject:

15 minutes into Netflix's The Harder They Fall, and I'm 99% sure this is a movie Jodeke would like.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Spoiler alert: Jim dies a few years later.

Or did he?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject:

W.C. Fields was a genius and a madman.

"A hearty hand clasp"

DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Just saw it an IMAX

I've never read the novels, I'm not an apologist for Lynch's more idiosyncratic, if far messier 1984 version, and it's not a fictional universe that interests me much, but DV's Dune is a flat out rad movie.

This is what Hollywood blockbusters should be. Villeneuve's control of visual scale really shines, it's stylish as hell, and everything is made with obvious talent and care from the huge physical sets to the CGI design, costuming, sound, and score. It's a marvel to see on a big screen.

Eric Roth seems to have been brought in to rein in some of Villeneuve's more dour, self-serious tendencies (see the commercial flop, BR2049), which makes the final product less distinctively his, but he remains a gifted image-maker with shots reminiscent of Apocalypse Now, David's The Death of Marat, and of course Lawrence of Arabia. When so many blockbusters these days seem like same-y colorless, weightless, quip heavy 4-quadrant mush, the look and feel of Dune's universe are refreshingly unique even if the hero's journey plot is familiar.

Is it a great movie? No. But it's a big, loud, cool, well-made blockbuster when those are in short supply. Hopefully Dune's box office success leads to more weird sci-fi epics getting greenlit.

Watched it again on HBO Max so we could catch some of the missed dialogue (which helped), but gotta say watching that film outside of the big screen [and IMO an IMAX] is like watching Avatar in non 3-d: Just not the same feel.

I actually really liked Blade Runner 2049, so maybe his ominous tones he set in that film [and to an extent in Dune] strike a chord with me.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Just saw it an IMAX

Watched it again on HBO Max so we could catch some of the missed dialogue (which helped), but gotta say watching that film outside of the big screen [and IMO an IMAX] is like watching Avatar in non 3-d: Just not the same feel.

I actually really liked Blade Runner 2049, so maybe his ominous tones he set in that film [and to an extent in Dune] strike a chord with me.

Villeneuve was right on about seeing this on the biggest screen possible. I still liked it on an HBOMax re-watch, especially since, like you wrote, the subtitles helped to catch some missed dialogue.

I'm a big BR2049 fan and it's my favorite Villeneuve movie ahead of Sicario and Dune and Enemy. Given the box office struggles of that movie it seems like Warner Brothers stepped in to try and lighten the mood in Dune. I love well-earned ominous tones, especially in contrast to the Joss Whedon "wink at the camera" ironic joke influence on contemporary American pop cinema.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 136 of 189
Jump to: