Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 289, 290, 291 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Science is kicking COVID's ass rn. F U coronavirus!

Yeah but some people are kicking sciences' ass. F U some people.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

The QAaron meltdown today on the Pat McAfee show was epic. I posted a bunch of quotes from it in the NFL thread
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
UPDATE: Pfizer's oral COVID-19 antiviral cuts hospitalization, death by 85%, sending team barreling to FDA

Pfizer’s oral COVID-19 antiviral Paxlovid has cut the risk of hospitalization or death by 85% in a late-phase trial, prompting the Big Pharma to stop the study and race to seek emergency use authorization from the FDA.

Merck showed oral antivirals can make a difference in COVID-19 around one month ago, presenting late-phase data showing its candidate halved the risk of hospitalization and death. Comparing results from different studies can give a misleading impression, but, on the surface, it appears Pfizer may have reset expectations of efficacy for oral antivirals.

Pfizer’s phase 2/3 trial randomized non-hospitalized adult COVID-19 patients who were at high risk of progressing to severe illness to receive placebo or Paxlovid, a combination of the protease inhibitors PF-07321332 and ritonavir. The efficacy analysis is based on 1,219 patients.

There were six hospitalizations and no deaths among the 607 patients who received Paxlovid within five days of symptom onset, compared to 41 hospitalizations and 10 deaths in the placebo cohort. The rates of hospitalization or death in the Paxlovid and control arms were 1% and 6.7%, respectively, resulting in a risk reduction of 85%.

[...]

As a protease inhibitor, Paxlovid is free from the theoretical DNA-alteration risk tied to the mechanism of action of Merck’s molnupiravir.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/pfizer-s-oral-covid-19-antiviral-cuts-hospitalization-death-by-85-sending-team-barreling-to
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Moderna stock tanking— down 18% in back to back days.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
UPDATE: Pfizer's oral COVID-19 antiviral cuts hospitalization, death by 85%, sending team barreling to FDA

Pfizer’s oral COVID-19 antiviral Paxlovid has cut the risk of hospitalization or death by 85% in a late-phase trial, prompting the Big Pharma to stop the study and race to seek emergency use authorization from the FDA.

Merck showed oral antivirals can make a difference in COVID-19 around one month ago, presenting late-phase data showing its candidate halved the risk of hospitalization and death. Comparing results from different studies can give a misleading impression, but, on the surface, it appears Pfizer may have reset expectations of efficacy for oral antivirals.

Pfizer’s phase 2/3 trial randomized non-hospitalized adult COVID-19 patients who were at high risk of progressing to severe illness to receive placebo or Paxlovid, a combination of the protease inhibitors PF-07321332 and ritonavir. The efficacy analysis is based on 1,219 patients.

There were six hospitalizations and no deaths among the 607 patients who received Paxlovid within five days of symptom onset, compared to 41 hospitalizations and 10 deaths in the placebo cohort. The rates of hospitalization or death in the Paxlovid and control arms were 1% and 6.7%, respectively, resulting in a risk reduction of 85%.

[...]

As a protease inhibitor, Paxlovid is free from the theoretical DNA-alteration risk tied to the mechanism of action of Merck’s molnupiravir.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/pfizer-s-oral-covid-19-antiviral-cuts-hospitalization-death-by-85-sending-team-barreling-to

This could be an outstanding development.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

[...]

This could be an outstanding development.

After reading about this pill, it looks like it brings the hospitalization rate down to 1%, which is similar to the flu. And that's in unvaccinated people who are high-risk.

I've been thinking that once we get to the point that COVID is no worse than the flu, at least in terms of severity and the chances of bad outcomes, we can start to get back to normal, at least when new case numbers go down a lot more.

It would be interesting to look at how this pill reduces the severity and duration of symptoms overall, not just how it cuts your risk of hospitalization.

I also hope that once it gets approved, anyone who tests positive can get it, not just high-risk people.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

No. They are not "kicking science's ass". They are ignoring the science, which is absolutely the opposite of kicking its ass, and they are winning by doing so. In fact, most of them are losing, sometimes including their life.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject:

The idiots who refuse to believe in science aren't disproving its validity.

I can refuse to believe in gravity, but if I jump off my roof, head-first, gravity will still apply to me . . . and my broken neck.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

Geraldo slams Fox News personalities for being vaccinated while encouraging viewers to fight mandates

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Geraldo slams Fox News personalities for being vaccinated while encouraging viewers to fight mandates

LINK

It felt good seeing Rivera make Hannity squirm for being a dangerous hypocrite.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No. They are not "kicking science's ass". They are ignoring the science, which is absolutely the opposite of kicking its ass, and they are winning by doing so. In fact, most of them are losing, sometimes including their life.

In reality, they are kicking their own asses and the asses of other asses like them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That better describes what I was trying to say.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

In reality, they are kicking their own asses and the asses of other asses like them.

And I hope they continue on their quest for their delusional idea of pyrrhic victory.

I mean that's the kind of voter suppression I can get behind.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

Fauci says boosters for all key to U.S. reaching COVID-19 endemic level

LINK

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Future not looking so great. Both natural and vaccine immunity seems to have a pretty short shelf life.

Either we have a lot of boosters in our future or we're going to have to invest heavily in our medical infrastructure as the herd gets continually trimmed with each roll of the dice.

Hope I'm wrong.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Future not looking so great. Both natural and vaccine immunity seems to have a pretty short shelf life.

Either we have a lot of boosters in our future or we're going to have to invest heavily in our medical infrastructure as the herd gets continually trimmed with each roll of the dice.

Hope I'm wrong.

If the oral antiviral from Pfizer (linked above in this thread) is as good as it appears, in conjunction with vaccines, that may be what gets us out of this mess.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Hope I'm wrong.

If the oral antiviral from Pfizer (linked above in this thread) is as good as it appears, in conjunction with vaccines, that may be what gets us out of this mess.

Unfortunately, regardless of whatever medical relief we come up with, we won't be out of this mess as long as ignorant fools and malignant tools on the right decide to ignore it out of horribly misguided political spite.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Got the Pfizer booster today. Arm is sore but I’m enjoying my surge of antibodies.

How were the side effects this time if I may ask? I just hit my 6 month since 2nd dose today.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

I had no side effects from Pfizer booster. But I didn’t have any side effects from the first two shots either. My wife didn’t have any side effects either.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
I had no side effects from Pfizer booster. But I didn’t have any side effects from the first two shots either. My wife didn’t have any side effects either.

Thanks. I'm interested to hear from people who had side effects from the second shot, as I did, so I can plan when to get it done.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Thanks. I'm interested to hear from people who had side effects from the second shot, as I did, so I can plan when to get it done.

I initially had the JJ 1 shot. A few side effects. Felt sickish and was a run down for a couple of days.

Had the booster with a similar reaction maybe a little less sick but worn down.

They had a healthcare professional on NPR say it's good if you have a reaction. it means it's working its way through your body. I don't buy that but hey.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
They had a healthcare professional on NPR say it's good if you have a reaction. it means it's working its way through your body. I don't buy that but hey.

That's not entirely accurate, but it's not far off. Most of what you feel when you're sick isn't the "sick" itself, but rather your immune system's reaction to the pathogen. For example, a virus doesn't cause a fever, the immune system causes it as a reaction to the virus (trying to create a less hospitable environment for the virus).

This is why many people (who hadn't already had COVID) have a much stronger reaction to the second dose than the first dose. The first dose primes the immune system to recognize signs of the virus, so when those same signs are introduced in the second dose, the immune system immediately reacts. The same is true for third doses (immunocomprimised) or boosters (the rest of us).

So yeah, the post-vaccine side effects are the result of your immune system recognizing signs of the virus and doing its thing. But "working its way through your body" doesn't really mean anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

What determines whether someone should get the half or full dose? The fact that they leave this decision up to the person is kind of crazy.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That's not entirely accurate, but it's not far off. Most of what you feel when you're sick isn't the "sick" itself, but rather your immune system's reaction to the pathogen. For example, a virus doesn't cause a fever, the immune system causes it as a reaction to the virus (trying to create a less hospitable environment for the virus).

This is why many people (who hadn't already had COVID) have a much stronger reaction to the second dose than the first dose. The first dose primes the immune system to recognize signs of the virus, so when those same signs are introduced in the second dose, the immune system immediately reacts. The same is true for third doses (immunocomprimised) or boosters (the rest of us).

So yeah, the post-vaccine side effects are the result of your immune system recognizing signs of the virus and doing its thing. But "working its way through your body" doesn't really mean anything.

the more you know. Thanks for the education. Now I can even sound smart. Sort of.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

The wife went with 2XPfizer and now a Moderna booster. Pretty strong fever reaction with the booster. She tried to tough it out without a fever reducer, but finally took one and it quickly subsided.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 289, 290, 291 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 290 of 318
Jump to: