Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Really enjoyed Last Night in SoHo. Not perfect, some parts could have baked a bit more, but it was fun and the pay off is well worth it.

This fall is crazy with stuff I want to see. Going to try and catch both Last Night and The French Dispatch this weekend.

Did you go? I have tickets to The French Dispatch for this Saturday

Missed out on French Dispatch over the weekend, but planning on it by the end of this week.

Soho was solid - a tentative thumbs up from me. Wright loses control of tone in a few places where his Gialli source material is more effectively unnerving (Argento's stuff) or offsets campiness with sheer nastiness (Fulci). Some of the CGI design on the "faceless" reminded me too much of The Frightners and the mean girls subplot made the opening weak, but the stylish flashback sequences were really impressive and push it into positive territory for me.

I've read some harsh critical backlash against the twist, which seems like obtuse misreading. I appreciate Wright staying true to genre roots while trying to add some contemporary depth, though the CGI-fest that follows the twist goes from gonzo fun to outright silly in spots. Basically, the middle two-thirds really work, and whereas some critics feel the twist ending undermines what came before, I thought it was an interesting attempt that just doesn't quite hit.

Also, Stamp and Rigg (RIP) were awesome.

All the critics missing on the De Palma parallels has been surprising. I don't think Wright is consciously channelling BDP, but as both directors are drawing on similar influences from Hitchcock, Bava, Argento, etc., Soho seems more and more like a mid-tier De Palma flick people will positively reevaluate 10 years from now.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
15 minutes into Netflix's The Harder They Fall, and I'm 99% sure this is a movie Jodeke would like.

It has great reviews from critics I respect.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
15 minutes into Netflix's The Harder They Fall, and I'm 99% sure this is a movie Jodeke would like.

Haven’t had the chance to finish it yet. But I’ve enjoyed this 30ish minutes I’ve seen. And I normally don’t care for westerns. The bits I’ve seen gave me some Tarantino vibes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Haven’t had the chance to finish it yet. But I’ve enjoyed this 30ish minutes I’ve seen. And I normally don’t care for westerns. The bits I’ve seen gave me some Tarantino vibes.

This is a first, a Black Spaghetti Western with a Rap, Reggae, and a little blues soundtrack. I enjoyed it. Westerns are my kind of movie. The end was a real surprise. I enjoyed the movie. You got me again kik.

Has anyone seen The Shaft A 2001 science fiction horror film. On a 1 to 10 I rate it 7.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:

This is a first, a Black Spaghetti Western with a Rap, Reggae, and a little blues soundtrack. I enjoyed it. Westerns are my kind of movie. The end was a real surprise. I enjoyed the movie. You got me again kik.

Has anyone seen The Shaft A 2001 science fiction horror film. On a 1 to 10 I rate it 7.
Gonna finish it now. Kinda dreading it. I like all the actors in both gangs. Why cant they get along?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I watched Army of Thieves prequel to Army of the dead. I enjoyed it. I have to go back and watch AOTD again.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Villeneuve was right on about seeing this on the biggest screen possible. I still liked it on an HBOMax re-watch, especially since, like you wrote, the subtitles helped to catch some missed dialogue.

I'm a big BR2049 fan and it's my favorite Villeneuve movie ahead of Sicario and Dune and Enemy. Given the box office struggles of that movie it seems like Warner Brothers stepped in to try and lighten the mood in Dune. I love well-earned ominous tones, especially in contrast to the Joss Whedon "wink at the camera" ironic joke influence on contemporary American pop cinema.

Hey Baron:

One thing I like with both BR2049 and Dune is how Villeneuve uses music / sound to really embrace the audience into the film; he also appears to like giving contrast nuggets, and other "read between the lines" sorts of layers to his films.

So in Dune, as one poster on reddit was discussing, the entire fight v Jamis - if you notice it takes a few sequences before he finally stabs Jamis in the back. This is apparently similar to bull fighting, and this Dune went out of its way to give hints about Paul's grandfather being a bull fighter. So, my understanding is in bull fighting there will be several feints / passes similar to how Paul had with his opponent but did not kill him. Then, like bull fighting, the final blow is like what Paul did - the opponent charged, and he side stepped, stabbing him in the back. Granted, Paul's journey there was one of reluctance, but an interesting comparison when watching the film.

As for music, I noticed Dune loves to use this musical bit from 2:30-4:30 in this piece from the movie:

It comes in different tones, but the same notes are played several moments in the movie (the one above is when they leave Caladan). Have not figured out yet what the "theme" is Villanueve and Zimmer have with it as its a very up/down piece, going between a momentous rising to melancholy. I thought it might be a house atreides theme, but they actually have a completely different one (which at its peak is scottish bagpipes). Can't tell if its a "Paul" theme, "destiny" or what not. But got a feeling its going to cue in something good in the second flick.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Ashes and Diamonds (1958): How dare Wajda, Wòjcik, and Cybulski go this hard. What an incredible capper to Wajda's exceptional war trilogy.

Streaming on Criterion Channel and HBOMAX.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

Watched No Time To Die last night. James Bond died. How do they plan to continue the franchise? It's my understanding they're looking for another James Bond. What's the plan for his daughter? I'm not clear about his marital status in No Time To Die. Was he or was he not? Will the next James Bond be Black? It's been tossed around Idris Elba may be the next James Bond. He played a badass cowboy in The Harder They Fall.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Watched Finch . . . totally skippable movie.

Which a shame, because I like Miguel Sapochnik. I got to work with him several years ago. Talented director and good guy.

Kept waiting for some kind of actual story to develop. It hinted at it at moments, but it never delivered.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Which a shame, because I like Miguel Sapochnik. I got to work with him several years ago. Talented director and good guy.

Kept waiting for some kind of actual story to develop. It hinted at it at moments, but it never delivered.

I dropped out at the beginning. I'll go in again later. I'll push myself to watch at least 20 minutes of the film.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

thank you for this. I may still watch but you are the 3 person to say blah.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

FINCH Went back in, stayed the course. It's not a classic but I think it's worth a peek. Tom Hanks was Tom Hanks. Had to take talent to act with a robot and a dog. 1 to 10 I give it 6.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I dropped out at the beginning. I'll go in again later. I'll push myself to watch at least 20 minutes of the film.

After 20 minutes, you've pretty much seen the whole movie.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Tom Hanks just doing straight to video movies now. What a terrible entertainment business.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject:

How would you guys rate Gal Gadot's acting ability? 1 - 10.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

2. I know ww84 was supposed to be campy but she has a franchise built around her and she can barely pull that off.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I’d give her a four. She has good physicality and she can deliver the lines, she just doesn’t have any real depth or connection that comes across (her looks notwithstanding, the camera doesn’t like her as a character as much as it does as a model). She’s pretty wooden, and doesn’t emote anything particularly well.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Some time last year I praised the look of My Cousin Vinny directed by solid, if unremarkable, comedy flick yeoman Jonathan Lynn, and it hit me that the DP for that film was Peter Deming who also shot Mulholland Drive and the first Austin Powers movie. Credit to that guy for understanding color and lighting.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Spencer

Steven Knight's heavy-handed, metaphor leadened script weakens what could've been a great movie while director Pablo Lorrain also lays it on thick at times - one lengthy montage reminded me of the Simpsons "rake joke" - but Kristen Stewart is exceptional and elevates this to something better than the talents of her screenwriter and director. Claire Mathon as DP (a slightly faded tone that doesn't forget color), another sharp Johnny Greenwood score, and sumptuous costuming and production design also do a lot of heavy lifting.

- Overall: good, but a performance as wonderful as Stewart's deserved something great.

- Sally Hawkins may get overlooked, but delivers in a supporting role that deserves awards attention.

- There's a moment of restraint that reveals this to be a sneakily horny movie.

- The clothes! The food! The doggies!

- Would pair well with The Swimmer (1968).
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Red Notice IMHO was arguably the worst movie of 2021. but that's just me.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I like Ryan Reynolds.
The Rock is alright.
But Gal Gadot's acting, it's ... rough.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I like Ryan Reynolds.
The Rock is alright.
But Gal Gadot's acting, it's ... rough.

I like ryan. I wish he would get out of his shtick here and there.

The rock is eh .

Gal can not act
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject:

I never realized until now that the inciting incident in Warerworld is Kevin Costner's character refusing to impregnate a teenage girl - offered up by her parents to diversify the local gene pool in the film's depopulated dystopia - because he's a fish man.

Good times!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

I liked the Rock in Hobbs & Shaw. He teamed up with Jason Statham. If you're into action movies that have martial arts scenes, you may like this one.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 137 of 189
Jump to: