PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
I'll probably be alone on this one but I think the Lakers need
to play their size. Going small ball against good small ball teams
is playing to their strengths not ours.

A 2 foot dunk against a smaller opponent is easier than a long
ball. Push it in when you can, hit the easy pt ones from FT depth
and let the good 3 point shooters take the open shot you've
created with the movement (Lakers ice cold last night though).

Lakers are not a "young" run and gun team...Play defense or die;
looks like die right now.

Just my O, anyway....
Donovan had a good plan.

Anticipated that they would go through AD, hence double/triple-teamed or had a "wall" to make him work in space while taking their chance with their outside shooters. It work

They can't use DJ/Howard a great deal because they are not a threat on offense

When the shooters are missing wide open shots

Game Theme - No Energy = No Movement
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: BULLS -at- LAKERS - 11/15 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
I'm not writing this one up. Bulls are an excellent team, but Lakers, wow. Just an awful mix of hoop IQ and effort.

AD got ejected with a couple minutes left in the third. He didn't seem like he wanted to play anyway tonight. He was very adverse to imposing his size on the Bulls small ball.

With no shotblocking, you've got to attack the rim relentlessly on drives and use your size for putbacks on the ones you miss. Go hard. Impose yourself. Sheesh. There were moments by Russ, Melo, THT, maybe a little Dwight imposing his size.

Defensively, yikes. The Bulls got super comfortable out there. The Lakers had some inconsistent coverages that caused problems before they had their backs broken completely.

Lowkey bright spot for the Lakers, though, is THT's first two games this season. Some good scoring punch, including a couple throwdowns. That three ball is super important to his game, but also the rosters we can play him in. He got a little heat-checky with the shot, but I like seeing the confidence instead of the alternative.

WOW.....even DB is fed up!!!!!

I was planning on taking a game off soon. This felt like a good one. I didn't expect a win., just wanted a little more intelligent effort out there and got very little of that. Those are the hardest to write up. Frustrating for sure.

I don't mind some of the individual defensive issues because we just didn't have some of our tools available in key areas. So matchups didn't bother me. The inconsistent team D schemes did.

Offensively, when you overplay on D, you give something else up. When you double, someone is open or can be more open with the right actions. We have no clue 75% of the time what to do. Additionally, if you've got size, impose it. Go beast mode on the offensive glass. If there is no rim protection, get down hill as an attacking guard, don't settle, good things will happen.

Going to be an interesting next few games. Hopefully, they get their second wind and their focus for this trip.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

...and, well, LeBron.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
...and, well, LeBron.

DB - honestly, this team has been extremely frustrating to watch. I would even say most of the time not even fun to watch.

They make mistakes and go on long stretches of bad play that I'd expect out of a lotto team, but they are full of veterans.

I cannot figure out what they want to be for team identity. I can say that after watching them get picked apart by an over the top double team scheme, I'm even more frustrated - why is no one cutting to allow AD a pass, and for AD, why is it when he gets double teamed he tends to look completely baffled and starts losing the ball. There's an easy 2, or a wide open 3, when a team played like the Bulls did on defense.

What's probably the most deflating is I cannot recall how long its been since this team has been so poor on both ends that they go extended stretches at times in games getting blown off the floor by opponents. OKC did that in their comebacks. Portland, Chicago did it more recently. I mean the Lakers do not even seem remotely competitive for really long stretches.

I'm just baffled.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
...and, well, LeBron.

DB - honestly, this team has been extremely frustrating to watch. I would even say most of the time not even fun to watch.

They make mistakes and go on long stretches of bad play that I'd expect out of a lotto team, but they are full of veterans.

I cannot figure out what they want to be for team identity. I can say that after watching them get picked apart by an over the top double team scheme, I'm even more frustrated - why is no one cutting to allow AD a pass, and for AD, why is it when he gets double teamed he tends to look completely baffled and starts losing the ball. There's an easy 2, or a wide open 3, when a team played like the Bulls did on defense.

What's probably the most deflating is I cannot recall how long its been since this team has been so poor on both ends that they go extended stretches at times in games getting blown off the floor by opponents. OKC did that in their comebacks. Portland, Chicago did it more recently. I mean the Lakers do not even seem remotely competitive for really long stretches.

I'm just baffled.

I feel all these also.

This team is not fun to watch. I will continue to watch, because I am a die hard fan, but apart from the feel good Carmelo renaissance story, there is not a lot to like here.

I've sat around with friends discussing the Lakers' woes, but we truly cannot come up with a realistic solution. We turnover the ball, and refuse to defend.

The disaster that this season is unfolding to be, is a direct result of the mistakes made in the offseason.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BULLS -at- LAKERS - 11/15 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
I'm not writing this one up. Bulls are an excellent team, but Lakers, wow. Just an awful mix of hoop IQ and effort.

AD got ejected with a couple minutes left in the third. He didn't seem like he wanted to play anyway tonight. He was very adverse to imposing his size on the Bulls small ball.

With no shotblocking, you've got to attack the rim relentlessly on drives and use your size for putbacks on the ones you miss. Go hard. Impose yourself. Sheesh. There were moments by Russ, Melo, THT, maybe a little Dwight imposing his size.

Defensively, yikes. The Bulls got super comfortable out there. The Lakers had some inconsistent coverages that caused problems before they had their backs broken completely.

Lowkey bright spot for the Lakers, though, is THT's first two games this season. Some good scoring punch, including a couple throwdowns. That three ball is super important to his game, but also the rosters we can play him in. He got a little heat-checky with the shot, but I like seeing the confidence instead of the alternative.

Yes and this guy suffered duing the era, believe me!
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: BULLS -at- LAKERS - 11/15 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

How about a Caruso write-up, for old time's sake?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
DrDent wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
...and, well, LeBron.

I'm just baffled.

I feel all these also.

This team is not fun to watch. I will continue to watch, because I am a die hard fan, but apart from the feel good Carmelo renaissance story, there is not a lot to like here.

I've sat around with friends discussing the Lakers' woes, but we truly cannot come up with a realistic solution. We turnover the ball, and refuse to defend.

The disaster that this season is unfolding to be, is a direct result of the mistakes made in the offseason.

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. I stay close enough to watch most of the games when I can, but so far this has not been a fun squad to watch. Then again I like seeing solid team defense, and we had that before this season.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: BULLS -at- LAKERS - 11/15 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

LakerLanny wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Yes and this guy suffered duing the era, believe me!

This subject is forbidden, don't bring it up again please
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Can't do a write up as didn't watch the game with notes, but off the top of my head what stood out.

1) We don't have a wing defender for DeRozan. We needed Bron on him. Ariza may have helped too.
2) Bulls made a ton of tough shots from 3. LaVine was closed out and still hit them.
3) We missed all our open looks. Kind of the story of the season so far, when our role guys (Melo, Ellington, Monk etc) hit their 3s, we win, when they can't, we lose.
4) Bulls took AD out of the game as a scorer with all the doubles and zones too. We got open looks, but didn't make them.
5) Russ played well, individually. Very well. At least in the 1st. Just didn't like the 3s.
6) THT is looking awesome. Like a guy we "stole" at the MLE. He's not going to have this role when Bron is back, but damn can the guy create off the dribble and is not at all shy from shooting anymore. Confidence level is different.

This isn't about soft AD, dumb WB etc. We lost to a better team, as without Bron, we're basically a .500 level team for the moment. We needed our role guys to make their shots from outside especially with AD being doubles/tripled, and instead they had a very cold night.

Melo 0-4
Ellington 1-6
Monk 0-3
Bradley 1-3

I'm thinking 80-90% of those shots were good looks open looks. We make those at 40-45% and this is a different game.

WB taking 6 three pointers is just plain wrong, though. Can't wait for Bron to be back and we get some IQ into our offense again.
We lost against a better team but it shouldn't have been by this much. Even if they shoot 40% the Bulls are probably maintaining a comfortable double-digit lead the entire game.
With Caruso in the game, it highlights one of two things that this squad is desperately trying to find, beyond the Xs & Os

Energy and Youth
Reeves and THT, when out of the game, team looks 5-6 steps slow and very old. With them in, acknowledging that they will be making rookie/youg player mistakes, they bring an enthusiasm that is missing and extremely exposed when playing teams that have tese elements (i.e. Bulls, OKC, etc.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: