STAPLES CENTER CHANGING NAMES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Horrible name. Stupid decision. And no one will call it that.

Not much of a decision when someone offers you $700M for it

They have no integrity, if they did it just for the money and not what they believe in.

You think they called it "Staples Center" not just for the money, but because the really believed in toner cartridges?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

I wonder if when the building was first created, people mocked the "Staples Center" name. I mean, an office supply store as the venue for the great Lakers?

Now, it's a venerated part of history.

Point is, in 20 years, when whatever this arena is called is part of history, no one will take umbrage at it. It's not the Lakers owned facility.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

They have no integrity, if they did it just for the money and not what they believe in.

You think they called it "Staples Center" not just for the money, but because the really believed in toner cartridges?

Don't be silly. It had nothing to do with toner cartridges. It was staples. AEG was taking a principled stand against paper clips and binder clips. Then they sold out by letting the other Clips into the arena. It's sad, really.
lmaster65
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

The ".com" part really tanks the name. Otherwise I don't mind just Crypto. The name Staples was around so long that it became embedded in our heads so we accepted it. But it was still the name of an office supplies store.

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Imagine having to explain the Bitcoin fad to your kid 15 years from now when you go to a Lakers home game.

Well, it's named Crypto.com. Not bitcoin arena or something. Unless you're under the delusion that crypto itself is a fad.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
Going from one of the cooler names for an arena to one of the worst...

Wait, what? You thought an office supply chain was one of the cooler names for an arena?
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Don't be silly. It had nothing to do with toner cartridges. It was staples. AEG was taking a principled stand against paper clips and binder clips. Then they sold out by letting the other Clips into the arena. It's sad, really.

I literally lol'd, nicely done.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
This is Westbrook's fault .

No definitely Bazemore
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

I'm not surprised. If this partnership with Crypto helps the Lakers so be it. I got over the Lakers no longer playing in the Great Western Forum when they built Staples Center and I'll get over a name change.

Word on the street is they will give the stadium a renovation ala how they Knicks did with MSG. If that's the case, Jeannie had to do it. Isn't Ballmer opening up a new domed arena for the toenail Clippers? Lakers gotta stay ahead of the game.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

Leif wrote:
Quote:
"I’m told Staples Center will undergo a massive renovation following this record naming rights deal. AEG officials view this as Staples Center’s version of Madison Square Garden’s $1 billion renovation. Everything from the concourse to the seats to the concessions will be changed."

https://twitter.com/arashmarkazi/status/1460982788283256840?s=21

They are also doing a massive renovation as part of the deal.

Yup, heard the same thing. I saw the blueprint of the new Clippers arena. It's mindblowing tbh. Jeannie had to okay this venture IMO. Lakers gotta stay up with the changing times.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

Mamba Center

BangBros.com Arena

Haha
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

BangBros.com Arena

BangBros only offered $10M for the naming rights in Miami. We got $700M
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

This was very creative. I didn't expect the ending. Lol
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Leif wrote:
Quote:
"I’m told Staples Center will undergo a massive renovation following this record naming rights deal. AEG officials view this as Staples Center’s version of Madison Square Garden’s $1 billion renovation. Everything from the concourse to the seats to the concessions will be changed."

Yup, heard the same thing. I saw the blueprint of the new Clippers arena. It's mindblowing tbh. Jeannie had to okay this venture IMO. Lakers gotta stay up with the changing times.

Why you think Jeanie had anything to do with this? Lakers don’t own the arena, and AEG is no longer a lakers owner, they cashed out their stake for 1.5 B to the dodgers owners. Sure the lakers might get something, but this is very different than Lakers owning the arena and get the full pie.
Only GS owns their arena at the moment, clippers will be next.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
BangBros.com Arena

BangBros only offered $10M for the naming rights in Miami. We got $700M

I didn't know this was a real thing.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
Leif wrote:
Quote:

Why you think Jeanie had anything to do with this? Lakers don’t own the arena, and AEG is no longer a lakers owner, they cashed out their stake for 1.5 B to the dodgers owners. Sure the lakers might get something, but this is very different than Lakers owning the arena and get the full pie.

Not to mention, Jeanie isn't the only share holder more is she majority share holder Lol they would have to vote.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject:

I’m surprised one of the truly big companies didn’t jump on this opportunity (Apple, Microsoft, Google/Alphabet, Amazon, Tesla, etc).

I hate the new name as a whole, but “The Crypt” could be fun. Some great graphic’s could be created with that name, so I bet it catches on (much to the dislike of Crypto.com). However, The Crypt is an odd name to be associated with America’s Basketball Team which the Lakers clearly are. You’d think something less scary sounding would be better. I guess now we become the most hated team ever (maybe we are already?). Lot’s of black in our futures.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject:

Hard_Butter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Hard_Butter wrote:
Staples Center will always be Staples Center to me. Just like the Forum was always Fabulous and never Great Western. I'm gonna still say Eskimos f your Inuites. Dwarfs will always be midgets to me.

So glad that the Dodgers never succumbed to this cooperate bs.

Dodgers Stadium, Fenway, Wrigley......stay you.

Funny thing is Staples Center went corporate at the beginning so there was no backlash because nobody knew of its non corporate branding.

Well..I cited Wrigley and I'm pretty sure Wrigley Field is named after the gum. Talk about going cooperate long before it became a thing.

"Cooperate" FU Micosoft Edge and your auto-dumb-spell check making me look stupid.

No it was named after their owner William Wrigley Jr. His name was plastered on everything he owned.
https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2020/6/20/21297343/wrigley-field-named-after-cubs-owner-not-the-gum-company-proof
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

Hard_Butter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Hard_Butter wrote:
Staples Center will always be Staples Center to me. Just like the Forum was always Fabulous and never Great Western. I'm gonna still say Eskimos f your Inuites. Dwarfs will always be midgets to me.

So glad that the Dodgers never succumbed to this cooperate bs.

Dodgers Stadium, Fenway, Wrigley......stay you.

Funny thing is Staples Center went corporate at the beginning so there was no backlash because nobody knew of its non corporate branding.

Well..I cited Wrigley and I'm pretty sure Wrigley Field is named after the gum. Talk about going cooperate long before it became a thing.

"Cooperate" FU Micosoft Edge and your auto-dumb-spell check making me look stupid.

No it was named after their owner William Wrigley Jr. His name was plastered on everything he owned.
https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2020/6/20/21297343/wrigley-field-named-after-cubs-owner-not-the-gum-company-proof
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
danzag wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Mike drop.

Don't think we'll have a better line for a while.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Mamba Center

BangBros.com Arena

Haha
You got it all wrong....it would've been called the Bang Bros Center.....the BBC...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackjones/2019/09/15/bangbros-bid-10-million-for-miami-heat-arena-naming-rights-oddsmakers-chime-in/?sh=7b283baa7770
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
Leif wrote:
Quote:

Not to mention, Jeanie isn't the only share holder more is she majority share holder Lol they would have to vote.

I must have misread Cryto's tweet:
Quote:
We're extremely proud to announce that Staples Center, Los Angeles' most iconic arena is getting a new name:

https://t.co/vCNztATkNg Arena

As part of this 20 year partnership, we're also excited to welcome the @Lakers & @LAKings as our newest partners! https://t.co/KCfYKySDRt

https://twitter.com/cryptocom/status/1460840630779887616?t=LSuiHEmN1cMlz5-2o6U8eg&s=19
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

lmaster65 wrote:
The ".com" part really tanks the name. Otherwise I don't mind just Crypto. The name Staples was around so long that it became embedded in our heads so we accepted it. But it was still the name of an office supplies store.

Imagine having to explain the Bitcoin fad to your kid 15 years from now when you go to a Lakers home game.

Well, it's named Crypto.com. Not bitcoin arena or something. Unless you're under the delusion that crypto itself is a fad.

I'm going to steal all your NFTs, bro.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

Boston Garden --->Fleet Center ---->TD Bank North Garden

Locals just call it "the Garden."

No one is ever going to say, "I'm going to Crypto.com Arena tonight!"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: