DWIGHT HOWARD Officially Back Part III Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Dwight Howard two 3 Pointers vs Pistons
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Kudos to DH!
He gave us some solid minutes tonight and even entertained us all by going 2-2 from deep.
    Dwight Howard, the NBA's most unlikely stretch 5!

Well…

He also confidently hit another one toward the end of a half / game(?) in the recent past. Clearly he’s been working on it. Now that he’s made several of them, I have more confidence in him taking those shots than AD. Of course, we’ll probably see if Dwight is legit when he gets up a few more volume shots. Apparently he’s been putting in some work, trying to earn some additional pt.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Truth be told he hits those threes pretty consistently in warm ups. I sat right behind laker bench for the t-wolves game and he must have hit 9 in a row from that side of the court. I remember wondering why he didn’t take more in games. Maybe we will see him shoot more from now on.

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Truth be told he hits those threes pretty consistently in warm ups. I sat right behind laker bench for the t-wolves game and he must have hit 9 in a row from that side of the court. I remember wondering why he didn’t take more in games. Maybe we will see him shoot more from now on.

It's nice to see that Dwight is still ready and willing to expand his game.
He could add an entire new dimension to his game and perhap lengthen his career if he could take and make that shot anywhere near the league average.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject:

Should be starting over Deandre Jordan.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I mentioned this is the DA thread. How does Vogel not see this crap and the fans do? Maybe it was a lesson, Dwight played a good game without fouling like a maniac.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I mentioned this is the DA thread. How does Vogel not see this crap and the fans do? Maybe it was a lesson, Dwight played a good game without fouling like a maniac.

Do you feel he fouls like a maniac because he doesn't really play along side AD, he comes in for AD, so he constantly has to help? Because I think that he wouldn't be fouling like that, along side AD.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject:

We need this Dwight every game if we’re going to make a title run. He impacts the game the way he dominates in the paint. Hard screens, playing physical, rebounding, defense. We need it.

Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject:

The question is, why isn't he starting over Jordan? It seems Vogel likes to space out talent and feel it is the best for the team. Keep starting potential on the bench to play against the 2nd unit of the other team. I don't know how good of a plan that is because the right fit may be with the 1st unit, rather than forcing them to be with the 2nd unit. He thinks D'Andre gives you the same level of play as Javele did, when he doesn't.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject:

Dwight's best game of the season. He was a beast last night.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
The question is, why isn't he starting over Jordan? It seems Vogel likes to space out talent and feel it is the best for the team. Keep starting potential on the bench to play against the 2nd unit of the other team. I don't know how good of a plan that is because the right fit may be with the 1st unit, rather than forcing them to be with the 2nd unit. He thinks D'Andre gives you the same level of play as Javele did, when he doesn't.

Exactly....I've been saying this since we signed him....HE SHOULD START AND PLAY 20-24 MINUTES A GAME!....He impacts the defense so much and alongside AD they form a defensive twin tower...I'm sick and tired of "spread the floor so Russ and Bron have lanes." OFFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM!! It's defense and Dwight by far is the best defensive big we have. I will tell you we definitely miss Caruso, KCP and Dennis on the PNR defense. It was constant last night on the high PNR...Dwight was picking up the guard and no one would guard or slide over to pick up the center. At least with Dwight and AD...when the center rolls one of the two can slide over and defend the paint. The small guards and Melo are worthless in this situation.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
We need this Dwight every game if we’re going to make a title run. He impacts the game the way he dominates in the paint. Hard screens, playing physical, rebounding, defense. We need it.

He’s old. We will get these game sporadically but not consistent
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Probably not...but we'll get more games like this from Dwight than DJ...DJ should be out of the rotation.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

The problem isn’t the age, it’s the fact that Vogel seems to love the idea of starting Jordan instead of Howard, Howard can have these kind of games if he got the minutes but he doesn’t.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

^DJ starting is obviously just politics.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

The problem isn’t the age, it’s the fact that Vogel seems to love the idea of starting Jordan instead of Howard, Howard can have these kind of games if he got the minutes but he doesn’t.

No. Its age. he's old, has had gnarly back injuries throughout career. Vogel feels he is better served coming off bench.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

I think Frank would ride Dwight if he could. He's Frank's kinda player. Dwight's back is shot, so we are being careful with how many more miles we put on him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

No. Its age. he's old, has had gnarly back injuries throughout career. Vogel feels he is better served coming off bench.

There is no reason why Howard so far this season is averaging a whopping 13-14MPG this season, he should be playing around 20-22MPG, we do need another big man though, someone mentioned going after Jonas Valanciunas, the Pelicans are rebuilding and might be intrigued with THT, Zion is gonna be coming back soon they might be sellers at the trade deadline, another possibility is Christian Wood, lots of scenarios to look at.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

There is no reason why Howard so far this season is averaging a whopping 13-14MPG this season, he should be playing around 20-22MPG, we do need another big man though, someone mentioned going after Jonas Valanciunas, the Pelicans are rebuilding and might be intrigued with THT, Zion is gonna be coming back soon they might be sellers at the trade deadline, another possibility is Christian Wood, lots of scenarios to look at.

so if he's less effective with more minutes will he called a bum?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That's false...has nothing to do with his age although he's obviously not as athletic as he once was. Vogel prefers Dwight to match up against the other teams second unit and provide energy off the bench....even though he's older he's still 10x better than DJ and it's not even close.,
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject:

He probably starts DJ because he can manage DJs negatives better with the starters. I guess DJ with the bench would be a pure disaster.

As he mentioned it could also be that he wants to get DJ more accustomed to the system they want to play, the starters might be the better place to do that as well...
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

There's a reason why some guys are "bench" players. That isn't meant in a demeaning way, just that there is something about said players which makes them better/more effective coming off the bench.

Some reasons for this can be:
1) their "game" does not mesh well with the group starting the games.
2) there's a big deficiency somewhere in their on-court contribution (scoring, defense, stamina, commits too many fouls, etc)
3) they're a "really good" player who can dominate against second units, but are not an elite, all-star talent that can do that while playing "starter" minutes.

At this point of Dwight's career (years/age/injuries), I think #2 and #3 are very fitting descriptions for him. Again, not a knock, just being realistic with my expectations from him when he's 35 years old, multiple significant injuries, and also playing in his 18th season.

If we had TWO Dwight's, sure, I'd LOVE for him to start. But the fact of the matter is Dwight has shown he can have a strong impact for us coming off the bench. Whatever we would gain from Dwight starting would result in a much greater dropoff in what DeAndre provides in a bench role because he'd likely be playing more with Melo/Rondo/Reaves instead of Bron/Westbrook/AD.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
There's a reason why some guys are "bench" players. That isn't meant in a demeaning way, just that there is something about said players which makes them better/more effective coming off the bench.

Some reasons for this can be:
1) their "game" does not mesh well with the group starting the games.
2) there's a big deficiency somewhere in their on-court contribution (scoring, defense, stamina, commits too many fouls, etc)
3) they're a "really good" player who can dominate against second units, but are not an elite, all-star talent that can do that while playing "starter" minutes.

At this point of Dwight's career (years/age/injuries), I think #2 and #3 are very fitting descriptions for him. Again, not a knock, just being realistic with my expectations from him when he's 35 years old, multiple significant injuries, and also playing in his 18th season.

If we had TWO Dwight's, sure, I'd LOVE for him to start. But the fact of the matter is Dwight has shown he can have a strong impact for us coming off the bench. Whatever we would gain from Dwight starting would result in a much greater dropoff in what DeAndre provides in a bench role because he'd likely be playing more with Melo/Rondo/Reaves instead of Bron/Westbrook/AD.

Okay...lets go with your theory. There's no reason he should be playing only 13-14 minutes...at them minimum it should be 20-24. He does everything better than DJ. DJ should be out of the rotation or get 10-12 minutes tops.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
I think Frank would ride Dwight if he could. He's Frank's kinda player. Dwight's back is shot, so we are being careful with how many more miles we put on him.

Very good point, it's probably best to be careful with Dwight. Also he's a major foul magnet, so I doubt he could consistently play big minutes anyway. Love everything he brings when he's on the court though.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

DH can play. He knows the system too. He just need to be focused on winning like before
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17
Jump to: