2012 Lakers vs 2021 Lakers: Which Team Was More Infuriating to Watch?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team is/was more disappointing?
2012 Lakers
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
2021 Lakers
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 26

3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: 2012 Lakers vs 2021 Lakers: Which Team Was More Infuriating to Watch?

I remember being a 24-year old who was super stoked for the 2012 team.

I knew Nash was almost at the end of his career but hoped he still had some juice left for one last push. Then Dwight was at his prime. He was coming from a back injury though but I was pretty optimistic about our chances.

And we still had Kobe and Pau. We also had Antawn Jamison and Metta. It was a solid cast. Yet it never clicked. Of course there's the Achilles injury to Kobe but even with a healthy Kobe, the outlook wasn't really too good for our team all throughout the season while we kept losing winnable games.

Fast-forward to today, this 2021 team is full of vets who should know how to play great, winning basketball. I know injuries have plagued us and that could cost some chemistry issues but when you watch all of the games, you just get the sense that it's not working or maybe it's not even gonna work at all even if we tried harder.

There might be a recency bias somehow, but I remember how I hated all of the losing that was going on in 2012. I think that, for me is more infuriating but this 2021 team is a close 2nd.

2004 team doesn't count. They were fun to watch and made the finals.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Wut? You realize this team has Lebron and AD and were ranked second to win the championship behind the Nets before the season started? With where we are right now, it is a MASSIVE disappointment.

Yes, this is VERY hard to watch considering the expectation for this team.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Wut? You realize this team has Lebron and AD and were ranked second to win the championship behind the Nets before the season started? With where we are right now, it is a MASSIVE disappointment.

I totally understand the circumstance, man. And on paper, the 2021 roster seems more start-studded than the 2012 team but prime dwight + Kobe and Pau was supposed to be a beast big 3.

I am massively disappointed with this year's team. But I actually expected (bleep) to go down after the Westbrook acquisition. The doubts were there. I don't remember having the same doubts with the 2012 team at the beginning.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Kobe at least was entertaining to watch. 2021 team is just a bunch of old hobos trying to string together consistent play for 48 minutes...
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Kobe at least was entertaining to watch. 2021 team is just a bunch of old hobos trying to string together consistent play for 48 minutes...

lmao. yes, this one I agree. Still getting 27.3 ppg. Still very consistent at age 34.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject:

2021 and it's not even close.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject:

2021 because on paper we look loaded. However, this team is just frustrating and not enjoyable to watch.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject:

2012, that moment when Kobe came out to the bench in crutches after Dwight was ejected from the game.

That moment alone was better than all of 2021 and what remains.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject:

2021 thinks they can show up and teams will Roll Over because they are “The Lakers”. In actuality teams get up to beat them and come at them
every game. 2021 think about rest and the post season even before they have earned a spot. They are too bored to try to destroy teams , sleepwalking on defense, not engaged for the full 48 minutes. Vogel has gotten lazy too. He relied on his players talent to win, and now he’s actually forced to coach. He is all over the place with his changing lineups, and not only because of injuries He hasn’t done very a good job appeasing egos without it costing us wins..
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject:

Not even close. 2021's team is massively underperforming, and just playing like a team full of rookies some times..

It's crazy when an undrafted rookie is seriously one of the smarter guys and better defenders on the team.

Also honestly, Kobe single-handedly makes the 2012 team less infuriating to watch.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject:

2021, because we had a legit title contender with a few small adjustments, and we threw away several quality role players who legitimately contributed for a very expensive third superstar who appears, at least so far, to subtract from the team, not add to it. Old, extremely unbalanced roster, nobody able to guard tall wings, way too many short guards, most of whom don't scrap for every possession or even play organized on defense. But hey they can shoot 3's right? SMFH.

We went from never losing games we led through 3 quarters to no lead being safe, with major runs by opponents being the norm, not the exception. Now we have some of the most uninspiring basketball I've ever seen a squad in Laker uniforms play.

2021 by a long ways so far.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject:

2012 had Kobe so they weren’t hard to watch.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
2021 and it's not even close.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

I'd say the expectations for the 2012-13 team were just as high or maybe even higher. The preseason odds put the 2012-13 team #2 behind Miami, just as this year's team was #2 behind Brooklyn.

We added Nash and Howard (both coming off all-star seasons) to Kobe and Bryant.

For Phoenix the previous season, Nash put up 13-11 on 53-39-89 shooting. He was second in the league in assists.

For Orlando the previous season, Howard put up 21-15 on 59% shooting while being all-NBA first team and all-NBA defense. Just the year before he was #2 in the MVP vote.

In the decade that has passed, I think some fans locked it into their minds that Nash and Howard were washed when they got here, but that wasn't the sense when the season started -- that team was gunning for a championship as much as this one.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I'd say the expectations for the 2012-13 team were just as high or maybe even higher. The preseason odds put the 2012-13 team #2 behind Miami, just as this year's team was #2 behind Brooklyn.

For Phoenix the previous season, Nash put up 13-11 on 53-39-89 shooting. He was second in the league in assists.

For Orlando the previous season, Howard put up 21-15 on 59% shooting while being all-NBA first team and all-NBA defense. Just the year before he was #2 in the MVP vote.

In the decade that has passed, I think some fans locked it into their minds that Nash and Howard were washed when they got here, but that wasn't the sense when the season started -- that team was gunning for a championship as much as this one.

My new favorite nickname for the Mamba.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Yes. This was what I was pointing out. We were "stacked" on paper. And Jamison wasn't really washed back then too. Maybe a year or two past his prime?

Plus Dwight was supposed to be a beast when we got him. I was so damn frustrated that they couldn't get it to work. And I think Nash had that pesky injury on his leg. The potential of that team was tremendous but it never came together.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

2012 was so much of a headscratcher. I couldn't fathom at the time that Nash was going to be done and Howard wouldn't be the same.

I believed in Kobe and knew he'd get us in, but when he went down it just seemed like the end of an era. Still living in shock from that season so this season is nothing comparatively.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: