Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like Taylor turned down more money, and if so, what a legend! Very happy to have him back, and I'm very comfortable with the 4/60 term. Heck, if he's still playing great, we even have a 5th year option at $13MM.

I'll put it a different way. Seager just got $325MM. Taylor got $60MM. So we are giving Taylor 18.5% of what Seager got. Taylor's first full season with the Dodgers was 2017. I realize that Seager missed most of the 2018 season, so I'm going to give you their respective WAR per plate appearance since the start of the 2017 season:

Seager: 1,910 PA's, 14.5 WAR, or 1 WAR per 131 PA's
Taylor: 2,382 PA's, 14.8 WAR, or 1 WAR per 161 PA's

So while Seager has been more valuable when healthy, he hasn't been that much more valuable, and, in fact, Taylor was worth more to the Dodgers from a pure value perspective than Seager since the start of the 2017 season. And we just got him for 18.5% of what the Rangers are committing to Seager.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It sounds like Taylor turned down more money, and if so, what a legend! Very happy to have him back, and I'm very comfortable with the 4/60 term. Heck, if he's still playing great, we even have a 5th year option at $13MM.

I'll put it a different way. Seager just got $325MM. Taylor got $60MM. So we are giving Taylor 18.5% of what Seager got. Taylor's first full season with the Dodgers was 2017. I realize that Seager missed most of the 2018 season, so I'm going to give you their respective WAR per plate appearance since the start of the 2017 season:

So while Seager has been more valuable when healthy, he hasn't been that much more valuable, and, in fact, Taylor was worth more to the Dodgers from a pure value perspective than Seager since the start of the 2017 season. And we just got him for 18.5% of what the Rangers are committing to Seager.

Taylor was the second guy we really needed to keep (after Scherzer) and hopefully he maintains his steady level of production.

Hopefully Atlanta keeps screwing around with Freeman like Orlando did with Shaq - leaving an opportunity
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Since theres a lockout I assume there won't be any player movement until it gets resolved?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Plus there's the whole playoff Chris Taylor thing.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I am 100% with you guys and I will never dispute the numbers.

My opinion is this: as important as numbers are in baseball there is still that window of superstar intangibles that are nice to have. I always felt Seager had them. And I 100% believe we won that World Series literally only because of Seager. He took that next step and then some. And I know guys like David Freese have done it and heck even Steve Pearce did it. But when a guy you think or had thought at some given point of their careers that this guy is going to win us a World Series and be a superstar, it’s very fulfilling to witness that. Keep in mind I always felt this way about him even when he was in the gutter and a lot of people felt this way as well. I feel like that was the IT factor in Seager you try to keep on your team. This way, we would have 2 position players in Mookie and Seager that would have “IT”.

And this is what makes Seager 4-5x more worth it than Ct3. Again this is just my opinion. So If we Kept Corey for 10/325 I’d be very happy.

Anyways the heart is sometimes right but mainly wrong. I and many were devastated with the Kemp trade. Look how that turned out.

History is on our side..these long term deals are rarely worth it, especially when taking WAR and other statistics into consideration. But man will I miss having Seager.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject:

^
He really was exceptional in the 2020 season and postseason run, so for that alone I'll be extremely grateful that he wore the Blue. That said, I always had issues with his approach at the plate. I know his stats look very good overall. But similar to a Vladdy Guerrero, I just felt like really good pitchers could exploit that approach at the dish. I know he's young still, so perhaps there's another level he can get to as a hitter. But given his injury history and defensive shortcomings, I would have been very uncomfortable with the deal that he ended up getting.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sheldon Neuse was designated for assignment as the corresponding move on the Los Angeles Dodgers’ 40-man roster in order to officially re-sign Chris Taylor to a four-year contract. His deal worth a reported $60 million and includes a $12 million team option ($4 million buyout) for 2026.

Under normal circumstances, Neuse would have clarity on his future within a week’s time. However, with MLB team owners imposing a lockout, Neuse will remain in DFA limbo until a new collective bargaining agreement is in place.

Man, Neuse was like our no. 14 rated prospect coming into the season. Now, he's DFA'd.

Also, re: Chris Taylor, we get a cheap 5th year option for $8M more, not bad.

So, Chris Taylor's contract is basically 4 yrs $56M ($14M per year). Then, we get a 5th year option for $12M, making it 5 yrs $68M or, we give him a $4M buyout and his contract becomes 4 yrs $60M.

If we pick up that 5th year option, his AAV becomes $13.6M over 5 years. Not bad at all.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Seager: 264 PA's: .236/.318/.459/.777

Taylor: 236 PA's: 259/.364/.478/.842

Nuff said
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Nuff said

Friedman continues to play a moneyball game even with one of (if not always) the highest payrolls in the MLB. Not a criticism, just another example of him trying to spend money wisely instead of recklessly saddling the team with several decade-long 300+ million contracts that rarely age well.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Padres, Nick Martinez Agree Upon Four-Year, $20M Deal
DEC 2, 2021 8:08 AM

The San Diego Padres have agreed to a four-year, $20 million deal with right-hander Nick Martinez, according to sources.

Martinez's deal includes opt-outs after his first and second year.

The 31-year-old spent the past four seasons in Japan. He previously played four seasons in the Major Leagues, all with the Texas Rangers from 2014-17, and went 17-30 with a 4.77 ERA.

How is this possible with the lockout? Unless they did this before the deadline? Or since he's been playing in Japan, he's not a part of MLBPA, so he's not locked out? Who knows.

That means the Seiya Suzuki bidding is still going on? Nope:

Quote:
However, should the lockout happen, that 30-day signing window would freeze and teams would not be able to sign Suzuki, according to The New York Times.

“While some details will need to be finalized, the expectation is that Suzuki will be afforded the standard 30 negotiating days in total, with his clock pausing for a lockout and resuming upon a settlement,” The Time reported. “Since he was posted on Nov. 22, he would have 20 days remaining upon a resolution.

Here's another article saying the Nick Martinez deal failed to complete before the lockout:

Quote:
Report: Padres, Nick Martinez fail to complete deal before lockout

The San Diego Padres and right-hander Nick Martinez seemed to have a four-year, $20-million contract in place Wednesday evening, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan.

However, the deal wasn't completed before the collective bargaining agreement expired Thursday and a lockout was implemented, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

It remains to be seen whether the two sides will reconvene to complete the deal once the new CBA is ratified, but there is reason to believe the contract will be finalized, according to MLB Network's Jon Heyman.

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
The paperwork on the Nick Martinez $20M, 4-year Padres deal didn’t quite make it before the 11:59 deadline last night (though both sides were hustling) so he is still technically a free agent. No reason to think it won’t be finalized after the CBA is done however.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Scherzer blames Dodgers limiting his pitch count for his dead arm in the CS... what?????

LOL
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Scherzer blames Dodgers limiting his pitch count for his dead arm in the CS... what?????

LOL

Can't wait for the Mets to visit the Ravine next season (assuming there's a 2022 campaign).

Last edited by MookieBetts50 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Snipes wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Speaking of Butler, reminds me of the last strike in 1994.

* We traded Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields in the prior offseason theoretically having two all star caliber speed demons at the top of the lineup in DeShields and Butler - Butler lived up to his end, DeShields...we all know about him.
* Surprisingly, Wallach turned back the clock and had an all star caliber year and was one of the top third baseman
* Darryl Strawberry ends his disappointing tenure with Dodgers - man if Eric Davis and Strawberry with their hometown stories disappointed as much today as they did back then....they would want to leave LA ASAP. Making it worse - Strawberry and Davis are THE two most talented baseball players of the late 80s and early 90s before Bonds gets into his groove.
* Orel's real last season with the Dodgers to be replaced by Nomo the next season and yes we consciously replaced Orel with Nomo
* Would have been interesting to see how far the Expos would have gone....my thinking is they were too young and were extremely talented but that team of Grissom, Walker, Martinez, Lansing, Wetteland and Fassero doesnt strike me as a team with playoff grit - they are upset in the division series or NLCS.
* Braves would have been my guess to make the world series that year to go against the Yankees
* Jeff Bagwell and Matt Williams incredible years
* Bonds and Griffey Jr best players in the league

Yes yes yes, I remember ALL of those just like was yesterday. Damn I’m old.

I’m in my 30s and even I’ll say you guys are way 2 old

Its funny because we led the really weak NL West. We would have played the Expos in the NLDS and I feel that series is one where our inferior team could have pulled 1988 off again with our core of veteran pitchers like Orel, Ramon, Kevin Gross and Candiotti giving the young Expos a shell-shock. Of course, there is no damn way I think we would beat the winner of the Braves-Reds series in the NLCS but for some funny reason, I feel we could have upset the untested young Expos.

I think we would have lost to the Expos. Some reasons off the top of my head:

1. They owned us in the regular season. If I counted correctly we were 3-9 against them. I remember feeling pessimistic when we would play them.

2. That 94 Dodgers team had probably the worst Dodger bullpen I had ever seen. The team finally had some serious offense, and there were a lot of times the starting pitching and hitting would get a lead only to watch the bullpen blow it. Vin Scully complained constantly that no lead was safe. Fans started booing when the pitching coach walked to the mound to possibly pull the starter. Unfortunately leaving starters in longer backfired too.

3. Players like Piazza, Karros, Mondesi and Delino DeShields in future years showed us they weren’t big playoff performers.

4. We were not the 88 Dodgers. The 88 Dodgers finished 27 games above .500. The 94 Dodgers finished 2 games above .500.

5. Todd Worrell. Even if things went really well, this guy could blow a series by himself. I would rather see Broxton pitch and I’m not kidding.

Reasons we might win:

1. The Division Series is a crapshoot. If we take one of the first two games maybe it puts extra pressure on the Expos. And then who knows what happens?

2. The offense in 94 was definitely superior to the 95 and 96 offenses. I think Karros started terribly but was hitting better when the season stopped, and having Tim Wallach crushing the ball takes pressure of Piazza (and protects him better, forcing pitchers to throw him better pitches to hit).

3. We weren’t going to face Braves starters Smoltz, Maddux and Glavine like we did in 96.

4. Expectations are low for us. If we get swept we’re supposed to get swept. If we start playing the Expos tough after getting owned by them in the season, it could be a big confidence booster.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

* We traded Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields in the prior offseason theoretically having two all star caliber speed demons at the top of the lineup in DeShields and Butler - Butler lived up to his end, DeShields...we all know about him.
* Surprisingly, Wallach turned back the clock and had an all star caliber year and was one of the top third baseman
* Darryl Strawberry ends his disappointing tenure with Dodgers - man if Eric Davis and Strawberry with their hometown stories disappointed as much today as they did back then....they would want to leave LA ASAP. Making it worse - Strawberry and Davis are THE two most talented baseball players of the late 80s and early 90s before Bonds gets into his groove.
* Orel's real last season with the Dodgers to be replaced by Nomo the next season and yes we consciously replaced Orel with Nomo
* Would have been interesting to see how far the Expos would have gone....my thinking is they were too young and were extremely talented but that team of Grissom, Walker, Martinez, Lansing, Wetteland and Fassero doesnt strike me as a team with playoff grit - they are upset in the division series or NLCS.
* Braves would have been my guess to make the world series that year to go against the Yankees

I love this post and agree with almost everything here. I was so excited to watch Davis and Strawberry play, only to end up seriously disappointed. Same with DeShields. I expected a lot out of those guys.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Snipes wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Yes yes yes, I remember ALL of those just like was yesterday. Damn I’m old.

I’m in my 30s and even I’ll say you guys are way 2 old

Its funny because we led the really weak NL West. We would have played the Expos in the NLDS and I feel that series is one where our inferior team could have pulled 1988 off again with our core of veteran pitchers like Orel, Ramon, Kevin Gross and Candiotti giving the young Expos a shell-shock. Of course, there is no damn way I think we would beat the winner of the Braves-Reds series in the NLCS but for some funny reason, I feel we could have upset the untested young Expos.

I think we would have lost to the Expos. Some reasons off the top of my head:

1. They owned us in the regular season. If I counted correctly we were 3-9 against them. I remember feeling pessimistic when we would play them.

2. That 94 Dodgers team had probably the worst Dodger bullpen I had ever seen. The team finally had some serious offense, and there were a lot of times the starting pitching and hitting would get a lead only to watch the bullpen blow it. Vin Scully complained constantly that no lead was safe. Fans started booing when the pitching coach walked to the mound to possibly pull the starter. Unfortunately leaving starters in longer backfired too.

3. Players like Piazza, Karros, Mondesi and Delino DeShields in future years showed us they weren’t big playoff performers.

4. We were not the 88 Dodgers. The 88 Dodgers finished 27 games above .500. The 94 Dodgers finished 2 games above .500.

5. Todd Worrell. Even if things went really well, this guy could blow a series by himself. I would rather see Broxton pitch and I’m not kidding.

Reasons we might win:

1. The Division Series is a crapshoot. If we take one of the first two games maybe it puts extra pressure on the Expos. And then who knows what happens?

2. The offense in 94 was definitely superior to the 95 and 96 offenses. I think Karros started terribly but was hitting better when the season stopped, and having Tim Wallach crushing the ball takes pressure of Piazza (and protects him better, forcing pitchers to throw him better pitches to hit).

3. We weren’t going to face Braves starters Smoltz, Maddux and Glavine like we did in 96.

4. Expectations are low for us. If we get swept we’re supposed to get swept. If we start playing the Expos tough after getting owned by them in the season, it could be a big confidence booster.

Worrell is hilarious and I know exactly what u mean....this guy puts up good numbers and even his postseason ERA looks nice but he seems to always have a knack for blowing a key save at the worst times. Its kinda Kenley-ish. But that 1994 BP......yea it was horrific and Worrell too had a bad year just like 1993.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers: Justin Turner Reveals How Zack Greinke Helped Turn Him into the Hitter He is Now

These days, when you hear the name Justin Turner you immediately think of Dodgers All-Star third baseman. But he wasn’t always that guy. Flashback about 7-8 years and he was a utility infielder that was cut by the New York Mets (lolmets). Turner signed with the Dodgers during the 2013-2014 offseason and, after making the team out of spring training, went on to post the best season of his career up to that point.

Now, we’ve heard much over the years about JT’s swing changes from that offseason and working with swing guru Doug Latta among others that helped alter the trajectory of his batted balls and career. But it seems that Turner has another guy to thank.

Earlier this year in a chat with Jomboy Media’s Chris Rose, the veteran recalled a conversation he had with then-teammate Zack Greinke that not only helped him become a two-time National League All-Star, but also the all-time hit by pitch lead for the Dodgers’ franchise.

Greinke and Turner were teammates in 2014 and 2015. Over that time, JT transformed himself from high quality utility man to starting third baseman for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"The Zack Greinke story. He helped me kind of become the hitter that I am today because I actually sat next to him on the bench one night and I asked him, I said, ‘Greinke, if you were pitching to me, how do you get me out?’

And in Greinke fashion, he’ll be like, well, he won’t answer you. He’ll say, ‘let me go look at something — I’ll go look it up and then I’ll get back to you.’

So the next day he gets back to me and I’m like, ‘well, what do you got?’ And he’s like, ‘I would throw you 100 straight fastballs away.’

And I said, ‘what are you talking about? Like, 70% of my hits are the other way.’ And he’s like, ‘yeah, but all your hits are closer to you. You take the ball that’s close to you and you shoot it the other way. You don’t do anything on the ball out over.’

And I asked if he thought I should get on top of the plate, and he said, ‘if I were you, I’d get as close to the plate as you possibly can.’ And from that day forward, I stood on top of the plate and now I’m the all-time hit by pitch leader for the Dodgers. Because of Greinke."

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

^^^ Good for Greinke, but what does this say about all the coaches he had? ^^^
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Nuff said

You don’t win a World Series without Seager and Seager alone. Nuff said.

Approving Taylor does not mean we put down Seager. Broken hand Seager .900ops. All star season Taylor? Not even .800 ops.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Nuff said

Approving Taylor does not mean we put down Seager. Broken hand Seager .900ops. All star season Taylor? Not even .800 ops.

All Star Taylor showed up in the playoffs this year. Broken hand Seager did not.

If the stats were reversed, I’d imagine it would have been pointed out as well.

Quote:

Does it also work in reverse? Approving Seager does not mean we put down Taylor?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tigers Offered Carlos Correa 10-Year, $275M Deal

At one point this offseason, the Detroit Tigers offered Carlos Correa a 10-year, $275 million deal.

Wow, Correa might not get as much as Seager.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

At one point this offseason, the Detroit Tigers offered Carlos Correa a 10-year, $275 million deal.

That might be the cheater tax he's going to have to pay.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

That might be the cheater tax he's going to have to pay.

That, and I think teams could be scared of his previous back problems, worried that could pop up again. Seager has had various injuries, but he doesn't seem to have a chronic injury that I'm aware of.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Some rumors that the Red Sox might be in on Correa and move Bogaerts to 2nd because Bogaerts will most likely be opting out of his contract next year (remaining 3 yrs $60M).

If they sign Correa, they basically gave Betts’ money to Correa.

--------------------

On another note, I've never seen so many quality SSs in my life.

This is the list of SSs who've gotten paid (or are guaranteed to get paid soon) so far:

1) Lindor ($341M)

-------------------

This year was an amazing year for free agent shortstops but next year looks pretty formidable as well:

1) Trea Turner
2) Xander Bogaerts
3) Dansby Swanson.

I wonder how much Swanson will get?

2) Tatis ($340M)
3) Seager ($325M)
4) Wander Franco ($182M)
5) Semien ($175M)
6) Baez ($140M)
7) Bogaerts ($120M)

8) Correa
9) Trea Turner
10) Trevor Story

And, you can probably count Brandon Crawford (who took a very team friendly deal) and Marcus Semien (who's really a SS but looks like he'll be playing 2nd base).
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject:

Correa is not in the same realm hitting wise as Seager. Defense? Sure that’s a different argument? With the bat? No sir. And let’s not forget the cheater tax + floating arrogance. Seager is the perfect face for a franchise. Correa is a (bleep).
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Nuff said

All Star Taylor showed up in the playoffs this year. Broken hand Seager did not.

If the stats were reversed, I’d imagine it would have been pointed out as well.

Quote:

Does it also work in reverse? Approving Seager does not mean we put down Taylor?

He showed up but only to his limitations. Even at his best he’s not ever carrying you to win a series let alone the whole thing. Seager sure can even if it happens 1:6 years I’ll take it. Btw I love CT3…just think he’s become severely overrated and Seager was sent to the dumpsters by this thread. Again just how I feel and my opinion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 9 of 434
Jump to: