LAKERS -at- TWOLVES - 12/17 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- TWOLVES - 12/17 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Lack of Continuity... That has been the most consistent issue for the Lakers this season. As the health and safety protocols put multiple Lakers on the sideline (and two Laker announcers), the team tried to shift gears and keep momentum rolling. It wasn’t to be.

The Lakers scored just 16 points in the first quarter. They went 0-10 from three in the first quarter with 5 turnovers. But in the process briefly lost AD to a painful looking ankle sprain.

As fouls mounted, Vogel tapped newcomer Isaiah Thomas, who just signed a 10-day. While he gave the Lakers some much-needed scoring punch. Turnovers by Rondo/LeBron to end the half had the Lakers trailing by 9. (The Lakers had 11 turnovers in the first half and were getting killed on the offensive boards).

The Lakers cut the lead down to just a possession in the third quarter, but when AD had a Timberwolves player roll into his knee, he was down for good. From there, the TWolves steamrolled them. At one point in the second half, Vogel was running a Westbrook, Rondo, IT combination as he searched for warm bodies to throw on the court. The Lakers fell 110-92.

There’s not a lot to take away from this one. The real worry is AD’s health.

LeBron -- -- Felt like a December game in Minnesota from LeBron. Not a particularly great effort in any part of the game. Just 7 points in the first half on 2-5 shooting. He got more aggressive offensively in the second half, but defensively it was a challenge. He racked up fouls. Still props to him stepping in down 19 to take a hard charge. The lack of bigs available in this game didn’t help us from getting outrebounded. I’m not sure I’ve seen him blocked more in a single game, either. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 5-13 shooting (2-6 from three, 6-8 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 5 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 4 turnovers and 5 fouls in 36 minutes. He was a -11.

Davis -- -- Wish we could have seen a full battle with him and KAT. KAT was taking it to AD early on. I wanted to see some of AD giving it back, but the injuries derailed the chance for that. In the second quarter, he attacked on the dribble and stepped on a foot, twisting his ankle on a pretty severe looking angle. He came back with four minutes left in the first half to test it out. He was able to go again. Midway through the third when the Lakers had a 11-3 run, and were showing some fight, he had a player roll into his knee and went straight to the locker room. Hopefully, he gets through these injuries. The Lakers got destroyed on the glass tonight without him and Howard and even guys like Reaves doing the little things, like boxing out. We probably need to take it easy with AD. Sometimes those little injuries become a chain reaction as you compensate. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-7 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a -8.

Westbrook -- -- He had 8 points in the first half, aggressively attacking the rim. Unfortunately, he picked up 3 fouls and that limited his playing time. That seemed to slow him down a little. I don’t think these patchwork lineups help him, either. He’s played well lately but couldn’t get on track tonight. The Lakers gave up 15 offensive boards. Our bigs get pulled out on the perimeter with KAT. The Lakers guards really need to help control the boards when that happens, by cracking back, boxing out and helping contain the other guys crashing. We didn’t play physical enough on that end of the floor and when we got to these smaller guard lineups, Russ really needs to make an effort to play bigger. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 4-7 shooting (0-1 from three, 6-11 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a -15.

Ellington -- -- Struggles from the perimeter got the Lakers in a hole early as we couldn’t get the ball through the hoop. He missed all four of his attempts from behind the arc in the first half. He finally sank a wide open corner three in the second half. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-10 shooting (2-9 from three) to go with 2 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 3 turnovers and 1 foul in 29 minutes. He was a -9.

Bazemore -- -- Good game from him. Just seeing the ball go through the hoop from three is important. He was key during our stretch in the third where we had it rolling before AD’s injury. He hit a couple of threes and drew a charge. Late in the game, though, he gave up a couple offensive boards in a row and was about to give up a third, when he got away with hard foul to prevent the third offensive board. His first start since we opened the season. Good to see a contribution. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 4-8 shooting (3-5 from three) to go with 7 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals and 5 fouls in 23 minutes. He was -6.

Anthony -- -- He had 8 points on 3-8 shooting in the first half, sinking the Lakers first three of the half after 11 Laker attempts. He sunk another corner three in transition. He’d miss his shots in the second half and his minutes climbed to 28 as a result of our depleted roster. Ideally, we have a healthy lineup and we’re getting less minutes not more. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-11 shooting (2-9 from three) to go with 2 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnovers and 2 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a -7.

Jordan -- -- Well, a -17 in 10 minutes. That’s a painful stat. He scored on a lob from Rondo. Kat’s a little too mobile for him. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 2 boards, 1 block and 1 foul in 10 minutes. He was a -17.

Rondo -- -- While he led the Lakers in assists, including some nice ones like finding DJ for a lob as we were mindlessly swinging the ball around the perimeter, he had some awful turnovers in this game. Probably should give him the benefit of the doubt because he hasn’t played much lately, but also the lineup mixing didn’t help. He made a three for his points. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-3 shooting from three to go with 5 boards, 8 assists, 4 turnovers and 1 foul in 22 minutes. He was a -19.

Thomas -- -- Your leading scorer for the Lakers. He led the Lakers with a +2 in the first half as he had 7 points (getting to the line 6 times). He was immediately scored upon right after his first score, but he actually had some moments defensively during this stretch. He went vertical to force a miss on a rotation (lol). He strip-blocked a player on a drive, got the ball back and threw a perfect pass over the D right to Bazemore leaking out for the layup. He’d find some more scoring opportunities in the second half and it looked like we even set up an ATO for him as a shooter to just catch and shoot. Offensively, he looked good. Definitely has that NBA level offensive game. The three ball was dropping. He got into the midrange for floaters or a pull up. He drew tons of fouls. Defensively, you’ve got the challenges with the size. You have to avoid switching. Vogel likes having the bigger guards who can challenge from behind on drop coverages when they fight over the top of screens. He was at least a little disruptive tonight. Glad to see him back on the floor, getting minutes and showing he’s still got the skills. The Stats: He scored 19 points on 5-12 shooting (2-6 from three, 7-9 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 22 minutes. He was a -1.

Brown -- -- He got some early run in this game when Bazemore picked up some foul trouble in the first quarter. He missed several shots and we didn’t see him until garbage time. Game seemed to be going a bit fast for him. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-6 shooting (0-3 from three) to go with 1 board in 15 minutes. He was a +0.

Huff -- -- He came in for 5 minutes of garbage time. The Stats: He had 1 steal and 1 foul in 5 minutes. He was a +3.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: The Lakers fell back by their biggest lead of the game early in the third quarter. They rallied back with an 11-0 run to cut it to three. Bazemore was big during this stretch, but had a three that went down and out that would have tied it up. Shortly later, AD went down with the injury and the Wolves quickly took control of the game to lead by double-digits.

Key Substitution: Let’s give IT some props for his 19 points and -1 in 22 minutes. Some of the scoring was in garbage time, but he was in the thick of it and gave the team some spark. Still, at one point Vogel and Russ, Rondo and IT on the floor. We’re in the bizarro hoop world at the moment. Never would have guessed that trio a week ago.

Key Stats: A 15-1 advantage on the offensive glass for the TWolves. The Lakers had 18 turnovers. They lost the battle of possessions.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Not too worried about the loss given the situation. Just hope AD's injury is of the mild variety.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Look like the team just got deflated after AD's injury...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I fell asleep during halftime and then partially woke up and wondered how we were down 20+.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject:

Team lacked any intensity from the stars and others

Hope that AD is ok

Every game provide additional confirmation that the order/importance of our stars starts with LBJ to Westbrook then AD

The fragile but Uber-Talented AD is still learning how to be a leader and acquiring the Mamba Mentality

TWolves had a specific plan - give the ball to KAT because AD can’t stop him. Probably wise to help AD on D by doubling his man if the player is an elite player like KAT, Greek Freak, Luka, Joker, Desmond, Embiid and a few others. If AD is not being dependent on being The Man but a valuable and lethal weapon at the disposal of LBG and Westbrook - as noted during the past 3 game winning streak

Appeared that the two teams were trying to see how many air balls were attempted in one game

Good to see IT get some run

Fascinating to note that if players are not playing with focus and intensity, that’s when injuries happen many times

Again, hope that AD is ok
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject:

Hope AD is okay.

Last edited by pio2u on Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Quote:
Key Stats: A 15-1 advantage on the offensive glass for the TWolves. The Lakers had 18 turnovers. They lost the battle of possessions.

-That's incredible

I only watched the 1st half, but the writing was on the wall. We're missing too many pieces and this team is built around Lebron and AD asserting themselves on both sides of the court. KAT sure had his way AD.

Lebron looks like an MVP candidate against awful defenses. Facing a young competent defensive team, he looks old. AD just straight up isn't the same guy from 2019-20. Hope the knee is ok
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject:

Yeah I know we're depleted, but this was a big 3 effort game. Bron/Westbrook didn't play with that extra intensity, and AD was hobbled (as is becoming a trend).

It was early on where you saw the signs. Open 3s missed. Bron not establishing consistent paint touches. Neither was AD.

In general though, thought this game showed the value of the guys like Avery, Austin, Dwight. No way KAT does that with Dwight in there. And the energy we get from Austin/Avery is huge.

Ellington is who he is, he's not a starting level player. He'll have a big game with a 2-way effort and then a dud. He's not a consistent defensive effort guy either.

Can't believe the team is so heavily reliant on role guys like Austin/Avery/Dwight to provide that balance and energy with the team. A team with AD/Bron/WB should be able to will enough effort and energy to win games like this. We're just having a ton of misfortune this year. No rhythm for the big 3 on a consistent basis.

BTW - Thought the best part of the 1st half was with Bron at the 5. Those Bron at the 5 lineups are really interesting. In the 1st half, I felt that lineup had the most impact of any against the high energy Wolves team. Wondering if Frank will need to resort to a lot of Bron/Ariza/THT/Reaves/WB type of lineups eventually to get Ws against the most athletic and younger teams.

It just is such a pain not having a chance to have a look at this team with THT/Ariza/Reaves/Bradely/Dwight all in around the big 3. Not even conisdering Nunn or Monk. That's just crazy. All our higher impact role players have not had a run of 5-7 games with a healthy big 3. Just been a crazy season from this perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject:

Russ, Melo, Dwight, Rondo, Jordan and Davis all live nine figure lives. Bron lives a ten figure life. They're effectively top level executives. How much lunch pail still exists with that group?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Thanks DB! Not too worried about the loss given the situation. Just hope AD's injury is of the mild variety.

+1.

Stay heallthy.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

With healthy 2 of Bron-Brodie-Brow, man, can’t lose to a non playoff team no matter whose on the floor, ever
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

Losing twice in a season to the Timberwolves.

Not cool.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

I said I'd evaluate the team after 20 games. Evaluation; 1st round exit.

The signing of Isaiah Thomas was the tipping point. It signaled, throwing in the towel.

Team lethargy enforced my belief in that exit. The Lakers play last night gave me the impression they've given up.

The return of Kyrie Irving has me looking at a Golden State - Nets finals.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

Older teams pace themselves
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The signing of Isaiah Thomas was the tipping point. It signaled, throwing in the towel.

Team lethargy enforced my belief in that exit. The Lakers play last night gave me the impression they've given up.

Keep the faith. We switched off against Memphis, too. Let’s just hope that Davis didn’t suffer a major injury.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Keep the faith. We switched off against Memphis, too. Let’s just hope that Davis didn’t suffer a major injury.

I'm a KEEP THE FAITH instigator. I hope I'm wrong but the team seems to have lost the faith. Even with AD I envision a 1st round exit.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The signing of IT is a nothing-burger, several guards are out so they gave a recognized name a 10-day contract. This is a complete no-op in the grand scheme of things - a short term reactionary move responding to unforeseen/unfortunate circumstances purely to field a team and avoid league penalties and loss of revenue. It changes nothing - the team construction is as it was - if you thought it was terrible before, it's still terrible; if you thought it was good, it's still good. IT changes absolutely nothing.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The signing of IT is a nothing-burger, several guards are out so they gave a recognized name a 10-day contract. This is a complete no-op in the grand scheme of things - a short term reactionary move responding to unforeseen/unfortunate circumstances purely to field a team and avoid league penalties and loss of revenue. It changes nothing - the team construction is as it was - if you thought it was terrible before, it's still terrible; if you thought it was good, it's still good. IT changes absolutely nothing.

Thanks for that perception. I hadn't looked at it that way. His signing may have been a good business move.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: