SPURS -at- LAKERS - 12/23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: SPURS -at- LAKERS - 12/23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Farewell, Staples... The final night for the “Staples” name before it went into retirement.

The Lakers gave up quarters of 33, 33, 39 and 33 again to the Spurs. Yeah, we are going to miss AD’s defensive work in the middle for quite a while.

Garbage defense all night. The team trailed by 13 heading into the fourth. There was still a chance… if AD, Reaves and Bradley suited up and returned to the floor.

LeBron carried the team in the first half, Russ gave them a lift late in the third. Outside of that, trash basketball. The Lakers fell to the Spurs 138-110.

Farewell, Staples.

LeBron -- -- Dude has been bringing his hard hat and lunch box. Unfortunately, we’re letting everyone eat his lunch. He had 23 of the Lakers 55 first half points and assisted on 4 of the other hoops. (Only Laker in double digits, Spurs had 4.) The Spurs didn’t have great rim protection, so if he could get downhill he was going to overpower folks. So the Spurs tried to cut off the driving lanes and send help. He made a couple of threes, catching a big on iso on one and forcing Pop to call a timeout. The highlight play of the half was one of his first scores where he attacked and threw in a layup over his head. You name it, he did it. He had 23 points on 10-16 shooting in his first 19 minutes. He looked a little tired when the fourth came around, but there was very little to get fired up about. The Stats: He scored 36 points on 15-26 shooting (2-7 from three, 4-6 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a -23.

Westbrook -- -- He got better as the game went along. But early on, yuck. Turnover prone and not really joining the fight in the first half. The first play of the game always seems like an instant Russ turnover at least every other game. He had three turnovers in the first half, including blowing a break with a bad lob pass. He had 9 points on 8 shots in the first half. To start the second half, he didn’t even get it past half court before another turnover. He gave the Lakers some second wind offensively late in the third. Sine attacks, a three and a bank jumper. Of course, he ended the quarter by not defending his man to give up an easy one. We needed a better first half, imposing his will early. The Stats: He scored 30 points on 12-20 shooting (1-2 from three, 5-9 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 5 turnovers and 3 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a -14.

Howard -- -- He started hacking on D in the third and sat for Melo down 14. After going small for the rest of the quarter, we went to DJ for the fourth down by double digits and not making any stops. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 1-2 shooting (2-4 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 2 assists, 2 blocks and 3 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a -8.

Horton-Tucker -- -- He didn’t take any threes in the first half, instead attacking. He drew FTs on a drive, scored a reverse and had another backhand layup. They want him to play smarter. We did see him position himself in the dunker spot and told other guys on that weakside to spread out. Second half, some good attacks, getting to the rim with some consistency. Defensively, he missed some rotations. I think he just needs to get some reps in to get back in the flow on both ends. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-13 shooting (0-1 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -16.

Ellington -- -- He airballed a three, bricked another deep one, missed a wing on a pick and pop three, etc., etc., going 0-5 from three in the first half. Second half, kills me with a double team on the perimeter to create an advantage where there wasn’t one and the Spurs score a layup. Defensively, several miscues. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-9 shooting (1-7 from three) to go with 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a -15.

Anthony -- -- The Lakers just had a steal and an And-1 by Russ under the hoop. He complained about a foul while clearly holding the jersey of the Spurs player. He picked up a tech (in addition to the two FTs for the loose ball foul). We reviewed, didn’t win. Melo suckered the coach into the wasted challenge. He picked up another foul and more FTs on the next defensive play. Meanwhile, Melo was missing FTs himself. We need a third and fourth guy to step up. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 3-8 shooting (1-5 from three, 2-5 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 steal, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 4 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a -4.

Jordan -- -- He came in for a few seconds at the end of the third, then ran at the C to start the fourth. We weren’t getting stops anyway. THT found him open for a dunk. He also drew some FTs battling on the offensive glass. He dunked off a screen-roll with IT. Certainly not his worst minutes tonight, but we continue to bleed whenever he’s out there. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-3 shooting (1-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards in 7 minutes. He was a -7.

Rondo -- -- Russ, IT, Rondo lineups. I despise this combo. There was a point where Rondo gave up a straight line drive for a score where it looked like LeBron just deflated. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting from three to go with 3 boards, 3 assists and no fouls in 12 minutes. He was a -8.

Thomas -- -- His defense in the first half was awful. He missed rotations, was caught on switches or guys just straight shot over him. He had a team-low -11 in 10 minutes. Second half, they shot over him again. Best play might have been his garbage time lob assist to DJ for a dunk. Really, really looking bad the last couple. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-5 shooting (0-3 from three) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 block and 2 foul sin 21 minutes. He was a -20.

J. Jones -- -- Some good moments of hustle, keeping offensive boards alive early. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting to go with 1 board, 1 steal and 1 foul in 12 minutes. He was a -15.

Huff -- -- Last one in with 3:50 left. Nothing to report. The Stats: He had 1 board and 1 turnover in 4 minutes. He was a -7.

M. Jones -- -- He came in late for garbage time. He got his one bucket attacking off the three line for a layup. He missed three point blank layups. After the third, which was on a breakaway, uncontested, he blew it and Stu said, “That’s what will keep him in the G-League.” Ouch. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-5 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 board and 1 foul in 6 minutes. He was a -6.

Fizdale -- -- Key Moment: None. Vogel may want to take his time coming back, lol.

Key Substitution: None. There was a brief stretch late in the third when LeBron sat and Russ helped cut the lead down a little, but we couldn’t quite sustain it.

Key Stats: 138 points! Just stupidly bad on D.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Programming Alert: I think I'm going to skip the next one and enjoy Christmas.

Happy Holidays!!!

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

I think I’m going to take break until this team can manage 5 games over .500

We will see how it goes. That Rockets game is easily an L the way they are playing.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Best Decision

Was going to see the game, but decided not to.

Watching the game on tv allowed me to leave at halftime and escape watching this Laker team look lethargic, making countless bad decisions, out-hustled, inept at making very doable shots for legitimate NBA players and lacking the minimum effort to play defense

Understand that the current and ongoing COVID situation has placed this team in a funk, but every team in the NBA faces the same struggles

Since LBJ/AD were very influential in the composition of the major components of this team and the leaders, it will be interesting to see what will happen in the upcoming months
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

We will see how it goes. That Rockets game is easily an L the way they are playing.
Wise Move

If this team (in its totality, minus LBJ) doesn’t care, why should I

Many might ask what NBA team can this team beat

The most relevant question could be the following, what G League team can this team beat

Maybe the Lakers’ best hope is for Adam Silver put this season on “pause” right after the Christmas games. Seeing inferior product on a consistent basis is worst than having the season on pause. Of course, the players and teams still want their $$$$$$$ so this won’t happen until the general public shows it’s disgust by not showing up

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2021/12/23/22851987/lakers-vs-spurs-covid-protocols-update-trevor-ariza-out
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, and yes, you deserve a break.

Giving write-ups like you do when the team plays like hot garbage must take incredible will power. I can barely get through a few sentences in just discussing the team.

Frustrating way to see the Staples name sent off...being blown off the floor. I mean, I get it, team missing lots of guys; but still, four 30+ quarters to an opponent? Just...wow.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject:

Basura
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

That isn't happening till AD is back and this roster can play more than 3 consecutive games together.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

Good call. You deserve a break from watching all this garbage.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

You deserve it! Have a great Christmas.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Basura

Completamente !

Anyway; 18+% from 3 Pts land?, about 56% from FT's? 14 to 6 To's ? No way to win when we can't hit "FREE" throws, we missed over 80% of the · pt'rs, can't keep the rock safe or guard.

This is a terrible team and there is not much the FO can do about it now.

Lakers will have some good games but we can't expect to be in the championship conversation; even when AD comes back...

Anyway, Thanks DB !!!
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

I hate to go here, but we did play non-NBA players for about 62 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, we haven't been a great team even when healthy-ish, but this is not our team.

We've had over 16 unique starting lineups, while Golden State and Phoenix have had 3 and 4, respectively.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks for as always for the write ups and happy holidays.
whether they win or lose I will always watch the Lakers… I recommend peeps do the same- it’s no fun to just watch them win, think of game seven in Portland when Shaq and Kobe were down big! it was fun when they persevered in the end amirite?!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
governator wrote:
Basura

Completamente !

Anyway; 18+% from 3 Pts land?, about 56% from FT's? 14 to 6 To's ? No way to win when we can't hit "FREE" throws, we missed over 80% of the · pt'rs, can't keep the rock safe or guard.

This is a terrible team and there is not much the FO can do about it now.

Lakers will have some good games but we can't expect to be in the championship conversation; even when AD comes back...

Anyway, Thanks DB !!!

The 1-2 punch is good but not 2019 good and that's just not good enough, everybody else including Westbrook are complementary pieces. I'm clinging on 'Bron-Brow' healthy in playoff and making noise. Chip or bust
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Thanks DB!

I hate to go here, but we did play non-NBA players for about 62 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, we haven't been a great team even when healthy-ish, but this is not our team.

We've had over 16 unique starting lineups, while Golden State and Phoenix have had 3 and 4, respectively.
Maybe somebody (Vogel or Fitzdale) should do a “Pop”

Translation
At one of their typical slow starts in the first and third quarters, sub out all five players on the court and replace them with the “end of the bench” guys

They can do the same thing as the veterans - can’t shoot, can’t rebound, miss free throws and miss defensive assignments. However, they WILL bring energy and effort because they are hungry

Is the COVID situation an acceptable excuse for lack of effort and energy
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

I posted this in the game thread which I didn't follow. It seems apropos here.

What is, is. This Lakers squad as constructed without injury issues had a great chance to win the Larry O'Brien.

COVID, injuries (bad coaching) have decimated this team. I honestly, along with many basketball aficionados, thought this would be a Lakers vs Nets finals. The return of Kyrie gives the Nets a chance.

Having said that, I don't think the Lakers will make it out of the 1st round if they make the playoffs. Reality is a beach but if it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, it's a duck.

You guys know me of Oh Ye Of Little Faith. Sorry, I have little faith. I hang on to a glimmer of hope. It's gonna take a miracle.

I'll cheer for the team to win every game. My heart will cheer loudly my mind will be in despair.
MERRY CHRISTMAS GO LAKERS !!! 🎅 🎄

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

I could only stomach watching the first half, but the energy level was clearly lacking.

This is the worry with an "old" roster and unfortunately it appears to be playing out this way.

These guys aren't playing hard enough defensively to win, before we even worry about scheme, they are going to need to play with a lot more consistent effort or this season will continue to disappoint.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

That isn't happening till AD is back and this roster can play more than 3 consecutive games together.

Then it’s not a good team. Russ and Lebron without AD should be able to manage 5 games over .500

I mean isn’t that why they are “max” players.

The clippers are going to end up 5+ games over with a breaking down PG13 and role players. The Lakers can’t muster 5 games over .500 with Lebron, Russ and a bunch of role players? Yikes.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

Then it’s not a good team. Russ and Lebron without AD should be able to manage 5 games over .500

I mean isn’t that why they are “max” players.

The clippers are going to end up 5+ games over with a breaking down PG13 and role players. The Lakers can’t muster 5 games over .500 with Lebron, Russ and a bunch of role players? Yikes.

Sure we could if we had Ariza, Nunn, Monk, and Reaves. We lose only our most impactful players.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject:

well at least Vogel is getting some job security with Fiz at the helm. LOL!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

I'd just arrived at my family's for Christmas and i was tired, and then the game was wack so I fell asleep FOR REAL on this one. Thanks for the write-up DB

DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

Good call. Merry Christmas 🎄
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

The wheels are falling off the Lakers Buss.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

The wheels are falling off the Lakers Buss.

Heading into Christmas, we are 27th in ORtg, 11th in DRtg, and 26th in SOS. We’re 29th in FT%, 27th in turnover percentage, 26th in ORB%, and 23rd in DRB%. These numbers are strikingly similar to ‘19, when we finished 37-45. 538’s RAPTOR model projects us at 35-47 with a 20% chance of making the playoffs.

There’s going to be a lot of coal in those stockings.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I'd just arrived at my family's for Christmas and i was tired, and then the game was wack so I fell asleep FOR REAL on this one. Thanks for the write-up DB

DancingBarry wrote:

Happy Holidays!!!

Good call. Merry Christmas 🎄

I'm going to relatives in Reseda for Christmas dinner. My niece does not allow any television during dinner. I'll be spared a likely disappointment.

Still hoping Santa will bring me a Lakers victory. I'm a die hard, ride or die, Lakers fan. I'm gonna ride the Lakers Buss till the wheels fall off.

Taking the optimistic route I'm gonna WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS 🎅🎄 HAPPY NEW YEAR 🍸 🥳

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: