NETS -at- LAKERS – 12-25-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: NETS -at- LAKERS – 12-25-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DIY Night. As mentioned I’m taking this one off. Hope this of you celebrating had a Merry Christmas.

Russ, man. Killing me. The +/- between him and LeBron — +9 vs -23. Wow.

Stanley Johnson fitting in well on the fly.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject:

WB lost us the game.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I really like Stanley and hope ownership doesn't get cheap.

Russ was great in the 2nd quarter, playing primarily to his skills as a playmaker. Other than that, woof. He shot 4/15 from within 3ft, 4-20 from the field against a very depleted roster.

Really fun 4th quarter but it wasn't meant to be. This team even if healthy is a mess, so I guess I better get used to the losses.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Russ played good basketball for 5 minutes then decided that it wasn't fun.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Johnson did well on his defensive assignment considering how long he has been out.

Collision did not fit well IMO. Not a shooter.

Glad to see Rondo not play. I would have played IT some.

My biggest issue with the game was the coaching. Harden and Mills were the two main scorers. JVG said it. Make them pass the ball and make the scrubs try and beat you. I just didn’t see enough effort to take the ball out of their hands.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Johnson did well on his defensive assignment considering how long he has been out.

Collision did not fit well IMO. Not a shooter.

Glad to see Rondo not play. I would have played IT some.

My biggest issue with the game was the coaching. Harden and Mills were the two main scorers. JVG said it. Make them pass the ball and make the scrubs try and beat you. I just didn’t see enough effort to take the ball out of their hands.
Team wasn’t sticking to its defensive principals

They were stunting, doubling and not staying attached to Patty Mills (hello Westbrook)

Coaching staff was not telling anybody to do that and “Hero Ball” on defense.

Johnson, Bradley, Reeves, Monk and LBJ - the Lakers’ most effective defensive lineup?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject:

This was not your typical bad Russ game. Usually when he hurts the team it's because he had too many turnovers.

Tonight his decision making was OK and he had only 3 turnovers, along with 12 rebounds and 11 assists. The problem was that he missed TONS of layups and chippies.

Otherwise he would've made 9 or 10 of his 20 shots and had a great game.

I feel like lack of effort/attitude/intensity is a bigger problem for us on D than lack of personnel. I wonder if AD getting hurt destroyed this team's attitude, because until then they had won 3 in a row and 6 of 8, and they were showing real signs of progress, even on the defensive end.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject:

DIY T&R.

The team is poorly constructed and plays with no heart.

The end.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
This was not your typical bad Russ game. Usually when he hurts the team it's because he had too many turnovers.

Tonight his decision making was OK and he had only 3 turnovers, along with 12 rebounds and 11 assists. The problem was that he missed TONS of layups and chippies.

I feel like lack of effort/attitude/intensity is a bigger problem for us on D than lack of personnel. I wonder if AD getting hurt destroyed this team's attitude, because until then they had won 3 in a row and 6 of 8, and they were showing real signs of progress, even on the defensive end.
Westbrook leaving Patty Mills free was a big problem

AD was has been providing good stats. If AD is consistently getting outplayed and overmatched against the likes of KAT, the Greek Freak, Luka, Embiid and others (never mind playing against the Warriors and Suns), the Lakers will not be serious contenders to get another ring

If opposing teams can have their PGs consistently beat ours at the point of attack, along with players missing their assignment or double teaming/stunting the wrong players, giving up 30+ points per quarter will be a regular thing with little chance to go deep in the playoffs

Having Stanley Johnson effectively defending Harden showed what could happen if somebody actually plays D
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Anytime you lose a guy like AD on the defensive end, it will suffer big time. I know AD has not been 2020 AD… But the guy is still one of the best defensive bigs on the court. They also lost most of their defensive wings in Bradley/Reaves/Ariza/Baze at the same time since AD went down. On top of that they lost their head coach Vogel. Which now clearly shows that Vogel is important on this team because Fizdale just flat out have no clue what line-up to use out there.
lts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject:

Short, slow, brick, that's what this team is.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject:

Having to play Melo 38 mins. IS NOT a formula for success.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject:

Caught bits and pieces of the game.

My thoughts:

1) The 4th Q really showed how much we miss the players from last year that brought energy and defensive plays. Even though we ran the smaller Bron at the 5 lineup, and Melo at the 4, you saw that energy from the guys around them. Even if it was Monk/Johnson, in this one. Just goes to shows the kind of effort is required.

2) Fizdale is a really bad coach on defense. Since Vogel has been out, our defense looks much worse.

3) Westbrook could not buy anything, but kept forcing. Is this because AD is out? Is this because when AD is out he feels he needs to do more. 0-4 since AD was out. What was Westbrook's big added value, that he could create and take the toll off the stars. Well, when we have needed him the most, we certainly aren't getting it consistently.

4) Monk, Johnson, and guys like Reaves, Bradley fit well on this team. The Nets athleticism gap was obvious. We don't have enough athletic players to match up with some teams. We need more athletic active players.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject:

Lakers are NOT a good 3pt team but took 35 attempts compared to a
better 3pt shooting team took 32 shots. We have slashers, they have
gunners. Again, we fail to play to our strengths.

When we won last ring, teams complained about out length; what
do we do? go small ball.

This team is not well built at all...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Caught bits and pieces of the game.

My thoughts:

1) The 4th Q really showed how much we miss the players from last year that brought energy and defensive plays. Even though we ran the smaller Bron at the 5 lineup, and Melo at the 4, you saw that energy from the guys around them. Even if it was Monk/Johnson, in this one. Just goes to shows the kind of effort is required.

2) Fizdale is a really bad coach on defense. Since Vogel has been out, our defense looks much worse.

3) Westbrook could not buy anything, but kept forcing. Is this because AD is out? Is this because when AD is out he feels he needs to do more. 0-4 since AD was out. What was Westbrook's big added value, that he could create and take the toll off the stars. Well, when we have needed him the most, we certainly aren't getting it consistently.

4) Monk, Johnson, and guys like Reaves, Bradley fit well on this team. The Nets athleticism gap was obvious. We don't have enough athletic players to match up with some teams. We need more athletic active players.
You are “On Point”

Stu has mentioned several times that Westbrook has “No Fear of Failure” and LBJ shared that Russ trust his skills based on his great amount of work he has done during the offseason

Yes - Russ and Lebron feel that they have to step up their games with AD gone

AD’s acceptance that he can’t compete against the top players (KAT, Greek Freak, Luka, Embiid, etc) at his position (in fact, players such as KAT are going directly and targeting AD with consistent success) and not presently a Top 5 NBA players - despite his uber athletic skills will help tweak the defensive/offensive schemes and rev UP his motor on a consistent basis to have stats/numbers that actually have IMPACT on games if he has aspirations of being The Face of this team

Amazing that guys that bring energy to this team are instantly noted and complimented since it is a stark contrast to how any player not LBJ and Russ are playing on a consistent basis.

Silver lining on the NBA/Adam Silver’s response to COVID is that it allows Rob to bring in players that have the potential to be a match for this team (Johnson, Collison)

Glad that Melo is stepping up his game and leadership role - as shared by LBJ
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
Having to play Melo 38 mins. IS NOT a formula for success.

This, and it isn’t an indictment on Melo
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Hope Lakers keep Stanley Johnson around and cut DJ.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

We went on a 29-8 run in the 4th quarter, ultimately tying the game with 45 seconds left.
That was at least entertaining.
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
WB lost us the game.

Most games.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/thepettiestla/status/1475182110428123139?s=21

(bleep) clown. Hope he never sniffs a chip.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: