DWIGHT HOWARD Officially Back Part III Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
As has been pointed out on Twitter, the timing of this announcement is curious. Vogel doesn't have to announce starters until tomorrow. Basically telling DAJ *and* the FO "i'm not playing this dude anymore." You haven't done a ton right Vogel, but this

And you saw the result.

A loss, without DAJ starting or AB starting.

Basketball is a team sport. While I agree certain players are better fits. This is not the issue with the team. We need to get lineups in that play together and give full effort. Bradley gives a lot of effort, but is undersized and can go cold on O. In the end the real issue is that Vogel just doesn't have starting caliber players around the big 3. And the big 3 isn't playing like a big 3 until Bron decides to play properly. If we get the actual big 3 we hoped we would, then it will negate some of the lack of starting level talent. You're so focused on DAJ, when DAJ isn't the one forcing Bron to play no defense and shoot 8-12 three pointers a game as if he's Steph Curry. Bron does this with Dwight, too.

What is vital though, we get effort. And I don't see with Bron regularly. AD too has been guilty this season of slacking. We have to get a real big 3, because the depth just isn't there. We can't have slacking as the talent around the big 3 is not starting worthy. This is the case for Dwight and DAJ. Case for Bradley and THT. They are all not starting level players at this point in their careers. THT has upside but until he shows it regularly, he's just that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DWIGHT HOWARD!!
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
[Cranjis] Dwight and Drummond this season (Dwight left, Drummond right)

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1470416791805603854

D39 >>>>>> Drummond
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject:

Kudos Dwight Howard!
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject:

Free Dwight!!!

I know Lebron will be playing center but let him anchor the 2nd team for 15-20mpg.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Kudos Dwight Howard!

He is really trying to give back in big ways. I hope good people assist him in achieving these goals.. good on you Big Man..

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."

His Foundation
https://grandchampionsfoundation.org/
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Free Dwight!!!

I know Lebron will be playing center but let him anchor the 2nd team for 15-20mpg.

Bron High Center and Dwight down low..

Popavich had Duncan and Robinson - Bron and Dwight

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Kudos Dwight Howard!

He is really trying to give back in big ways. I hope good people assist him in achieving these goals.. good on you Big Man..

His Foundation
Thanks, I was looking for that!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

pio2u wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Kudos Dwight Howard!

His Foundation
Thanks, I was looking for that!

An assist?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I love Dwight's effort, but it does seem like maybe he's about at the end of the line. He's not quite in DJ territory yet but if you take a look at his per 36 numbers over the past few yeras and compare them to this season and he is definitely on a downtrend despite playing limited minutes.

Two years ago the Lakers got 14.3 points, 14 rebounds, 2.2 blocks from Dwight per 36. He actually saw upticks in both his points (14.5) and rebounding (17.5) per 36 with the Sixers last season.

This season though he has a career low 11.6 points and the lowest rebounds/36 since he was 20 years old at 12.5. His blocks are down to 1.6/36.

From the eyeball test he seems a lot less springy, as you'd expect at his age. But we aren't seeing much in the way of lobs or finishing around the basket any more.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Yeah JC I have mentioned the same a few times regarding Dwight. 2 years ago any time we went to him on lobs or off the ball plays, he was money for at least a catch and drawing fouls. Now he's not even regularly getting up on those catches. He is possibly finally hitting that time.

But, defensively, he still has value. For example when Towns was ripping us apart, we need a guy like Dwight. I think his value comes up in the playoffs or situations like that where you face a team multiple times in a series and need a defender to match up with him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Geez I would've played him at least for a few minutes tonight, if only just to see how he did on Reid

Not the player he was two years ago for us, but still has value
#18 next...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah JC I have mentioned the same a few times regarding Dwight. 2 years ago any time we went to him on lobs or off the ball plays, he was money for at least a catch and drawing fouls. Now he's not even regularly getting up on those catches. He is possibly finally hitting that time.

But, defensively, he still has value. For example when Towns was ripping us apart, we need a guy like Dwight. I think his value comes up in the playoffs or situations like that where you face a team multiple times in a series and need a defender to match up with him.

I guess Dwight is not quite the athletic freak LeBron is.

Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Geez I would've played him at least for a few minutes tonight, if only just to see how he did on Reid

If he (or DJ) cant even get a few minutes against a team that kills the Lakers on the boards - especially against their backup center and with AD out, then why even have them on the roster?

Do the center position matchups get easier in the playoffs and so, they don’t need run big before that? Do they really think running LBJ and Melo at center is worthwhile lineup to “work on” in these regular season games? Is running LBJ at center more or less likely to get him injured (again)?

These types of wins against crappy teams is confirmation bias that the Lakers are getting better - spoiler - they aren’t. Keep playing WB,THT and small ball heavy minutes for the second half and it’s going to be a first or second round exit.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

If he (or DJ) cant even get a few minutes against a team that kills the Lakers on the boards - especially against their backup center and with AD out, then why even have them on the roster?

Do the center position matchups get easier in the playoffs and so, they don’t need run big before that? Do they really think running LBJ and Melo at center is worthwhile lineup to “work on” in these regular season games? Is running LBJ at center more or less likely to get him injured (again)?

These types of wins against crappy teams is confirmation bias that the Lakers are getting better - spoiler - they aren’t. Keep playing WB,THT and small ball heavy minutes for the second half and it’s going to be a first or second round exit.

Vogel seems to want them there for certain matchups, but I would've thought it'd be obvious to adjust to putting Dwight on the floor after Reid kept eating on the inside? That failure to adjust tonight wasn't good

AD being back in a bit will help our small ball woes, it'll mean the end of Melo center minutes at least. Bron center minutes can still work in certain contexts. Hopefully Davis can stay healthy for the rest of the season, so that we don't have to see us consistently go super small, like we're seeing now
#18 next...
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

The reason is as DB mentioned: Vogel is catering to Westbrook.
Now, as many posters have wondered, why Vogel can't rotate in Howard for 5-10 minutes and just see what happens with Westbrook on the bench, I have no idea. A lineup like Howard, LBJ, Ariza, Monk, Bradley should have been OK against the TWolves.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Vogel seems to want them there for certain matchups, but I would've thought it'd be obvious to adjust to putting Dwight on the floor after Reid kept eating on the inside? That failure to adjust tonight wasn't good

AD being back in a bit will help our small ball woes, it'll mean the end of Melo center minutes at least. Bron center minutes can still work in certain contexts. Hopefully Davis can stay healthy for the rest of the season, so that we don't have to see us consistently go super small, like we're seeing now

This will end up being a disaster that will bite Vogel is the azz. They only won last night because it was a depleted, weak Minny team. A legit team would have blown us out by half time with small ball the entire half. Phoenix, Utah, Philly, Denver...Reid looked like an all star last night...Vogel is happy because we beat Minny, Portland and Houston...a combined 39-69 record...LMAO!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Awesome double-double tonight; 14 points, 14 rebounds (+11)!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject:

He needs to play, Ariza is not working
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
He needs to play, Ariza is not working

I agree Dwight needs minutes especially when we play against height but I think Ariza will be fine if he stays healthy now.. He's hardly even got to play at all this season with the injury and Covid.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Awesome game tonight, a great situational center to have when small ball isn’t working
#18 next...
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Free Dwight!!!

Like I said “Free Dwight”…

He still a game changer and needs to play 20mpg
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Oh, yeah….there is a hall of fame center on the bench. Maybe he can impact the game more than either 37 year old 6’8 forward can against the other centers. Who wouldda thunk?
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Even a 50% athleticism Dwight from his peak is miles better than a washed DAJ because Dwight actually knows how to basketball unlike DAJ - a low-iq player who got away with it with his amazing athleticism. Seriously front office and VOGEL, it takes u that long to figure out what most of Lakersground knew from the very beginning - that u should have never played DAJ over Dwight. During our title run, I always said Dwight is miles better than Shaqtin McGee and sure enough i was right. This one is even more obvious
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Even a 50% athleticism Dwight from his peak is miles better than a washed DAJ because Dwight actually knows how to basketball unlike DAJ - a low-iq player who got away with it with his amazing athleticism. Seriously front office and VOGEL, it takes u that long to figure out what most of Lakersground knew from the very beginning - that u should have never played DAJ over Dwight. During our title run, I always said Dwight is miles better than Shaqtin McGee and sure enough i was right. This one is even more obvious

In their primes, Dwight was light years better than DJ. DJ was at best a C who could jump and block some shots here and there. Dwight was the all time most athletic center and one of the best defenders ever. You can see even with a fraction of his athletic ability, he is always in the right places.

Time for DJ to go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17
Jump to: