Podcast Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Podcast Thread

Anybody got some podcasts they'd recommend?

I currently discovered The Dropout.

Super long form (been on since 2019) documenting Elizabeth Holmes and the Theranos scam. It's pretty good. I know nothing about it. I'm only on episode 4 out of 27 (most recent one came out Wednesday).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is really, REALLY good if you're into that sort of thing. He does an excellent job.

I just discovered another Youtube channel called Fall of Civilizations about the collapse of different empires including some that predate written history. There's so much we don't know about our ancient, ancient ancestors. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact someone in Ancient Sumeria from it's onset had a life that probably wasn't much different than someone in that empire 1000 years later. Life must have been miserable for a peasant having to spend your life carrying giant stones for some slapdick God-King. In comparison my Dad has gone from bikes and candles (didn't have electricity), to cars, to planes to phones, to radio, to TV to the internet and has just recently sat in a Tesla. Crazy to think what the next few decades will look like.

As you can tell, I've had time on my hands, being bed ridden with a horrific flu for the last week lol.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject:

The limited series "Renegades: Born in the USA" with Bruce Springsteen and Barack Obama is by far the most compelling I've listened to over the last few years.

Marc Maron's WTF is my all-time favorite. He's great at the conversational "interview" because he does his research and along with knowledge on many subjects he is able to really get people tp relate and interact rather than just answer questions. He is at his best when he has musicians on, and he's had some legends, because he can talk the nuts and bolts technical stuff, the history of the different forms and still revel in the soul of it all. But I'll listen no matter who the guest is, even if it's someone I haven't heard of and would seemingly have no interest in because he's great at getting people to just open up and talk.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The limited series "Renegades: Born in the USA" with Bruce Springsteen and Barack Obama is by far the most compelling I've listened to over the last few years.

Marc Maron's WTF is my all-time favorite. He's great at the conversational "interview" because he does his research and along with knowledge on many subjects he is able to really get people tp relate and interact rather than just answer questions. He is at his best when he has musicians on, and he's had some legends, because he can talk the nuts and bolts technical stuff, the history of the different forms and still revel in the soul of it all. But I'll listen no matter who the guest is, even if it's someone I haven't heard of and would seemingly have no interest in because he's great at getting people to just open up and talk.

What do they talk about? I grew up always knowing Springsteen's hits but the older I got and the more I listened to him in interviews and speeches and what not....he's one of the RARE true bards. His U2 Hall of Fame Induction speech brought out the entire emotional gamut. I've rewatched it several times.

NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Blank Check

Revisionist History

How Did This Get Made?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

What do they talk about? I grew up always knowing Springsteen's hits but the older I got and the more I listened to him in interviews and speeches and what not....he's one of the RARE true bards. His U2 Hall of Fame Induction speech brought out the entire emotional gamut. I've rewatched it several times.

Everything . . . politics, music, life experiences growing up, racism, marriage, parenting, cars . . . two very articulate, thoughtful and the coolest of men with great respect and a fondness for each cover it all. And one doesn't have to be a fan of Bruce's music to enjoy listening to him shoot the (bleep) with arguably one of the greatest Presidents ever.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Everything . . . politics, music, life experiences growing up, racism, marriage, parenting, cars . . . two very articulate, thoughtful and the coolest of men with great respect and a fondness for each cover it all. And one doesn't have to be a fan of Bruce's music to enjoy listening to him shoot the (bleep) with arguably one of the greatest Presidents ever.

Okay, this is amazing. 6 hours-ish of content? I'm in. Miss the 44th.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Then if you haven't seen Springsteen on Broadway, watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Then if you haven't seen Springsteen on Broadway, watch it.

Just listened to the first part. So comforting. I'll have to check out your rec LC.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: