What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject:

The biggest ‘tell’ is the word ‘believe’.
Do you believe in _____?
The answer is always no.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
The biggest ‘tell’ is the word ‘believe’.
Do you believe in _____?
The answer is always no.

I believe you are correct.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Stories of paranormal activity only interest me if multiple people describe the same event. But even then. It's interesting not necessarily because I believe it. It's interesting in the same way as reading about shared delusions and shared psychotic disorder.

I'd be interested in hearing about stories about the same paranormal phenomenon, experienced by different people, at different times, who had limited to no common knowledge to bias the observerations.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I may look into the earliest bermuda triangle events. Even though I'm not sure it fits the description.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Given the accolades it's getting...I did not enjoy Don't Look Up.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Given the accolades it's getting...I did not enjoy Don't Look Up.

Thank you. Felt like someone watched Idiocracy and Silicon Valley and tried to riff off of Judge's style, which is a shame, because McKay can be just as funny. It sucked.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Korean TV series done pass Chinese/Indian/British/France Tv series
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

@OL & LC I'm not being confrontational, I'm earnestly interested in your answers. How do you explain the sensation of me being in such pain I couldn't bear it and asking "Lord if you love me take me" and something was taking the life from my body then releasing it when I said, "Wait a minute, wait a minute?"

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
@OL & LC I'm not being confrontational, I'm earnestly interested in your answers. How do you explain the sensation of me being in such pain I couldn't bear it and asking "Lord if you love me take me" and something was taking the life from my body then releasing it when I said, "Wait a minute, wait a minute?"

The short answer is similar to why feverish people hallucinate, deeply grieving people see their dead loved ones, and people who almost die see lights and other phenomena. Because the brain is an organic instrument that is not particularly reliable to begin with, and under stress even less so. Power of suggestion among other psychological and physiological causes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The short answer is similar to why feverish people hallucinate, deeply grieving people see their dead loved ones, and people who almost die see lights and other phenomena. Because the brain is an organic instrument that is not particularly reliable to begin with, and under stress even less so. Power of suggestion among other psychological and physiological causes.

I think I understand. The pain made me think my request was being met and the reversal the same. It makes sense. If I were unconscious it would make more sense. However, this is another hill. Thanks for the response.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
It's unfair how much we demonize farting. Some people's stomachs really be hurtin, man.

I watched a Modern Marvels on Ben Franklin's inventions a lil while back (nerd) and Benjamin conceived of the need for a Beanolike food additive way back then. Sthg that could be applied to food before consumption. He wrote the notion down in a letter, so it's a documented brainfart of that Yankee Doodle Dandy. Big Ben obviously liked his starches.

To be totally clear, I have no gastrointestinal issues. I'm a healthy, non-smelly boy. I'm worried about other people he said

Gotcha, Cuth, yer directly referring to VLF and CC.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Jaegermeister shouldn't exist. It's like drinking green NyQuil w/ a black licorice straw. You people are sick and demented.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I would add an out of body experience to your list. I swore I could see them reviving me but I knew it was something my brain had manifested.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Jaegermeister shouldn't exist. It's like drinking green NyQuil w/ a black licorice straw. You people are sick and demented.

Fitting that they drink it with Red Bull, another useless abomination.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Jagr bomb is fun but Irish car bomb and Sake bomb is better
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I would add an out of body experience to your list. I swore I could see them reviving me but I knew it was something my brain had manifested.

One of the odd things about our brains is that they have a center whose function is to give us the perception of being inside our own heads. When those centers glitch -- out of body experience. Sometimes it happens because the brain is lacking oxygen, or there's a seizure or stroke in that area. It can also be turned off with drugs, and it can be turned off very precisely with trans-cranial magnetic stimulation. You can literally walk into a lab and receive an out-of-body experience.

One extra component to this and to OL's response to Jo is the total unreliability of memory. Every time we recall memories we change them. We conflate things, we telescope time, and do a hundred other things with them. We remember things in a way that fit our narratives, and not the other way around. Suggestion from others get integrated into our memories -- and we can't tell the difference. Our brains are absolutely not reliable recorders of events.

And during traumatic events it gets worse. If there's a gap in time, our brains go back and fill it in. For example, some of the aforementioned near-death experiences, when the person's brain was hypoxic and shutting down (and incapable of forming memories anyway) there were reliable video records of the experience and the recovery. The patients had taken bits & pieces from the recovery -- long after the event -- consolidated them and filled-them into the missing time. The result is that they fully remembered an "experience" that never happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Meh. Basically alluding the brain just makes things up is a cop out and doesn’t always explain the full story. I believe most paranormal experiences/ufo experiences can be explained but there’s a small percentage that can’t. Id even argue human life is paranormal.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Jaeger Girls . . . even more fun . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

There should be an age maximum for running for office. If you're too old. You aren't personally invested in the future enough. And you should be disqualified.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
There should be an age maximum for running for office. If you're too old. You aren't personally invested in the future enough. And you should be disqualified.

You make the false assumption that older people don't have an investment in the future. As an older person, I can assure you that I have feel a deep investment that my kids and their kids have a good life in the future. And I am convinced I will feel the same when I am 77 versus 57.

Age is not blockade to wanting better things for the future.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

. . . unless you're a Republican.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:
Meh. Basically alluding the brain just makes things up is a cop out and doesn’t always explain the full story. I believe most paranormal experiences/ufo experiences can be explained but there’s a small percentage that can’t. Id even argue human life is paranormal.

Maybe just me, but when you started your erudite rebuttal with the casual dismissive “meh”, I sat forward, eager for what was sure to be an education. Getting past the apparent use of a word you don’t understand definitionally (it means refer to without saying) or grammatically (it’s like walk, you walk to school, you don’t walk school) to get to your devastating conclusion that years of scientific research is merely a cop out. I was intrigued to find out why and how, but a little puzzled where you offer against the research indicating human brains are fallible and inaccurate, leading to false observation, memory, and belief; the non-sequitur “I believe”. That seems a little too on the nose to even be satire. But you’d even argue other stuff too. So there’s that. Meh indeed sir, meh indeed.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:

Since OL already addressed your overall post, I'll just focus on the bolded above. It depends on what you mean by "can't." There has never, ever, ever been a case of "we have full and complete information on this, and there is no explanation within the laws of physics, psychology, sociology, etc." It has always been a case of, "we don't have enough information on this to draw any conclusions." And often the information we do have is clouded by the psychological and social factors I mentioned before.

In the cases where some report is investigated forensically (eg: see Joe Nickell) there always turns out either to be a mundane explanation, or not enough information to draw any conclusions.

But not enough information to draw any conclusions means exactly that. You can't go from "we don't have enough information to explain that" to "that was definitely the ghost of my dead grandmother visiting me" or "that was definitely a spacecraft from another planet."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject:

Or even that it likely was, or even plausibly was.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

You make the false assumption that older people don't have an investment in the future. As an older person, I can assure you that I have feel a deep investment that my kids and their kids have a good life in the future. And I am convinced I will feel the same when I am 77 versus 57.

Two things.
1) You are an extraordinary person DMR. Not trying to blow smoke up your ass. But if every person around your age was like you. Then I wouldn't have made my original comment. And the world would probably look alot different (and better).

2) There's a certain type of personality required to assume higher office. The higher up you go (county, state, federal, Legislative, Judicial, Presidential) the more selfish/ambitious/narcissistic you have to be. Honestly, they can BS all day long about being a public servant and yada yada. When the most powerful of the most powerful (politically) aren't personally invested in the future. Guess what gets pushed down on the priority list consistently. The future.

People, deservingly, highlight Obama being the first AA President. But what was almost as important was his age. That revealed itself in his politics and priorities IMO.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Not controversial. Irish car bombs are the best. Spent many a vomiting nights to those bad boys.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 61 of 80
Jump to: