MVP predictions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
defense wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Curry or KD now.

Two of the best scorers I have ever seen. Yes better than Jordan and Kobe.

There was this one guy in here who kept saying the new flop rules would slow Curry's scoring. I couldn't help but laugh. Curry gets fouled off ball more than anyone because they are trying to keep him from getting any daylight.

Curry is my MVP right now

shooter, 1000%, but i think MJ and Kobe were better at everything else, but in today's NBA, shooting is the key. Curry is probably a little easier to stop compare to KD. the NBA's game has evolved over time, the use of high PnR really puts shooting on top over other iso skills.

Who would you rank as the best five all time pure scorers?

MJ, Kobe, KD, distant fourth Lebron, Curry

Is LeBron that far off tho, his career avg is pretty much same as KD and they play in same era

just imo, Lebron is a great scorer especially when he attacks the basket, and what separates him from the top 3 is that teams will dare him to shoot as their scheme to stop him, where the top 3 has no real way of game planning. you can point out that his 3% is not bad, but what about mid range game? the top 3 all have insane midrange games while lebron is just catching up. with that being said i'd take any one of them any given day.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Westbrick. Triple doubles average, 50% 3-pt fg, 3 stl/gm.

MVP, DPOY, Finals MVP, World Champion. Then I woke up...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
defense wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Curry or KD now.

There was this one guy in here who kept saying the new flop rules would slow Curry's scoring. I couldn't help but laugh. Curry gets fouled off ball more than anyone because they are trying to keep him from getting any daylight.

shooter, 1000%, but i think MJ and Kobe were better at everything else, but in today's NBA, shooting is the key. Curry is probably a little easier to stop compare to KD. the NBA's game has evolved over time, the use of high PnR really puts shooting on top over other iso skills.

Is LeBron that far off tho, his career avg is pretty much same as KD and they play in same era

Lebron is right up there with the other 5. Early in his career, Lebron hesitated to shoot in certain situations, but that hasn't been the case for a while.

What makes Lebron different than those other guys is he's a scorer with a pass-first mentality, which is a rare combination. The other guys' inclination is to shoot first, while Lebron inclination is to look for a better shot.

That said, everyone on this list is a great all-around player, and each of them do some things better and worst relative to the rest of the folks on the list of GOAT scorers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

just imo, Lebron is a great scorer especially when he attacks the basket, and what separates him from the top 3 is that teams will dare him to shoot as their scheme to stop him, where the top 3 has no real way of game planning.

I would say that was true earlier in his career, but it really hasn't been the case for a while.

You are right that Lebron's mid-range shot is the weakest part of his game. That's probably one reason he doesn't take many. By and large, he will either shoot a 3, take it to the rim, or pass.

But then this circles us back to what being a great "scorer" means. Is it someone who can score in the largest number of ways, or someone who can score a lot efficiently. Kareem, for example, really didn't really use a lot of different shots but he was a great scorer -- he did the same thing over and over because it worked.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

If you go by playoffs at his peak, Lebron is often ranked higher than people would assume. Ben Taylor has him behind MJ in the #2 spot. I'd personally have a hard time putting him above KD though.

Quote:
2012-2014 Lebron James: 30.5 PPG, 10% rTS

Pros: All time volume and all time efficiency, could rise up into otherworldly volume and keep efficiency into elite regions, great variety in scoring by his Heat years, all time slashing and finishing, GOAT level transition scoring, great jumpshot, above average 3 point shooting, could catch and shoot to counter drop coverages, elite back to the basket skills in the post, great post scoring and a fadeaway, insane frame and unstoppable athleticism, elite IQ. (Averaged an unadjusted 33.5 PPG on a rTS of 8% without Dwayne Wade in a decent sample size, averaged an unadjusted 26 PPG and 9% rTS with Dwayne Wade in a great sample size.)
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
defense wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Curry or KD now.

Lebron is right up there with the other 5. Early in his career, Lebron hesitated to shoot in certain situations, but that hasn't been the case for a while.

What makes Lebron different than those other guys is he's a scorer with a pass-first mentality, which is a rare combination. The other guys' inclination is to shoot first, while Lebron inclination is to look for a better shot.

That said, everyone on this list is a great all-around player, and each of them do some things better and worst relative to the rest of the folks on the list of GOAT scorers.

What about Carmelo, McGrady, and Iverson? Dirk as well.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
defense wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Curry or KD now.

They are all great, and if you included them in the top 10 scorers of all time I wouldn't bat an eye.

You could also put Larry Bird, James Harden, George Gervin, Dr. J, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Kareem, Wilt, and a few other guys in the mix.

But a lot depends on how you define what "scorer" means. Some people don't think guys who are primarily post players should be eligible. Some people think of "pure scorers" as guys who do little else but score.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
defense wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Curry or KD now.

They are all great, and if you included them in the top 10 scorers of all time I wouldn't bat an eye.

You could also put Larry Bird, James Harden, George Gervin, Dr. J, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Kareem, Wilt, and a few other guys in the mix.

But a lot depends on how you define what "scorer" means. Some people don't think guys who are primarily post players should be eligible. Some people think of "pure scorers" as guys who do little else but score.

Let’s define it as the ability to put the ball into the basket at will.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Let’s define it as the ability to put the ball into the basket at will.

I don't have a meaningful way to rank them myself.

Any ranking I gave you would be an off the cuff whim that could be very different tomorrow.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I hope Curry wins it
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
I hope Curry wins it

I hope Lebron wins it, because that will mean that the Lakers have an amazing turnaround.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
defense wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Curry or KD now.

James isnt a pass first player. Hes 23 all time in apg. Out of the players he played with/against, hes 10th. Guys like Simmons, Doncic, Trae havent played enough yet to be in that list so he will probably finish even lower. I cant find a all time ranking in FGA per game, but out of the top 10 scorers all time, plus guys like Melo, KD, Steph, Harden, Dame, Doncic, he ranks tied for 3rd all time with Kobe, behind MJ and Wilt. All the other guys have a career FGA per game lower than James, and in the playoffs his APG drop while his FGA, 3pt FGA and FTA per game all go up. He is a willing passer, yes, but hes a ball dominant scorer/shot taker first

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject:

MJ led the league in scoring (ppg) 10 times, in total points scored 11 times (all his full Chicago seasons). He led the playoffs in ppg 10 times, in total points 8 times. Hes got the highest career average in the RS. Hes got the highest career average in the playoffs (nearly 4 points above 2nd place). Hes got the 2nd highest finals ppg, 1pt behind Rick Barry. If you look for he best scorer ever, look no further

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject:

predicc checc

still steph

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

Giannis gonna win a bunch of MVPs with all that spacing. No one can contain him in the regular season, nor do they really try. He'll win this year.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

Without Kyrie, it’s KD, NBA been itching to put NY on the map again
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
I hope Curry wins it

I hope Lebron wins it, because that will mean that the Lakers have an amazing turnaround.

AGREED
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
I hope Curry wins it

AGREED
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Without Kyrie, it’s KD, NBA been itching to put NY on the map again

KD has really impressive longevity. Granted, he effectively has had two full seasons off, but still— being able to carry a team with his mileage and injury history is incredible.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject:

The nets are starting to become this team that expects the trophy to be handed to them…seeing some red flags with that team.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: MVP predictions

C M B wrote:
Curry imo

oof

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Should be booker
Might be freak
Probably will be jokic
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Should be booker
Might be freak
Probably will be jokic

Didn't the Joker win last season? I am not sure the voters want to vote for him 2 years in a row. Embiid is my MVP!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Should be booker
Might be freak
Probably will be jokic

Didn't the Joker win last season? I am not sure the voters want to vote for him 2 years in a row. Embiid is my MVP!

I think it's going to be a close race between Jovich, Giannis, and Embiid. Anyone of them can win.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Should be booker
Might be freak
Probably will be jokic

Suns are by far the no.1 team in the league, and they didnt slow down (much) when Paul went down. Last season i felt like Paul had a case, transforming the Suns into the best team in the west. This season it should be Booker, based on being the best player on the best team.

Now, last season they made a exception with Jokic, and this season hes looking even better making it look easy. AND hes without Murray and MPJ.

Embiid was without Simmons but i feel like the Harden acquisition took his chandes down a bit. Hes still a close 2nd to Jokic imo in voters mind.

Giannis was impressive as well, but he doesnt have any narrative going for him. Hes "boring". And most of these voters dont watch games, they go by narrative and headlines.

Doncic deserves a mention, slow start but in 2022, hes been maybe the best in the league. Morant too, althouh they won a lot without him. DeRozan and Tatum are good candidates, but they arent gonna finish top 3.

So 1. Jokic 2. Embiid 3. Giannis/Booker 4. Morant/Doncic 5. DeRozan/Tatum

Others arent really in it

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: