What docs have you been watching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I have Blood Brothers: Malcolm X & Muhammad Ali (Netflix) and In the Same Breath (HBO/MAX) ready to go and hope to get to them over the next week. Anyone watched either?

Did not care much for Blood Brothers.....definitely did not portray Ali in the most positive light.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Just started watching the Amazon docu series LulaRich. It is based on the MLM company LuLaRoe.....which I had never heard of before. So far, really good if you like these type of docs that expose companies/pyramid schemes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Just started watching the Amazon docu series LulaRich. It is based on the MLM company LuLaRoe.....which I had never heard of before. So far, really good if you like these type of docs that expose companies/pyramid schemes.

Next on my list since I've heard lots of good stuff about it and have several friends and acquaintances who have gotten involved in various MLM schemes.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

First part of Beatles documentary by Peter Jackson airing on Disney+ Thanksgiving day.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
First part of Beatles documentary by Peter Jackson airing on Disney+ Thanksgiving day.

That's going to be our post-feast entertainment tonight.

Finally got around to watching If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd last night. It was really good.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Just finished episode 1. Not telling anything about the episode itself, but it's fantastic what Peter Jackson did with the picture quality. And all I can say is after seeing just one episode is, it's worth the wait.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Just finished episode 1. Not telling anything about the episode itself, but it's fantastic what Peter Jackson did with the picture quality. And all I can say is after seeing just one episode is, it's worth the wait.

Thanks! Will definitely watch it when I have time.
Ogrounder
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
First part of Beatles documentary by Peter Jackson airing on Disney+ Thanksgiving day. Some parts of the film I even looped afterwards via online video cutter.

Can't wait to watch it. Peter Jackson is one of my favorite directors.

Last edited by Ogrounder on Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

It starts kind of slow due to the non-narrative, "fly-on-the-wall" format, but about midway through the first episode, it starts to become interesting as the interpersonal dynamics start to reveal themselves. And it's pretty cool to see them noodling around for ideas and hear the first couple of familiar notes of what would become the final songs.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It starts kind of slow due to the non-narrative, "fly-on-the-wall" format, but about midway through the first episode, it starts to become interesting as the interpersonal dynamics start to reveal themselves. And it's pretty cool to see them noodling around for ideas and hear the first couple of familiar notes of what would become the final songs.

Interesting to see the transformation of a song, from some really awful words to the ones we all know and love. I found myself shouting "Tucson, use Tucson ..."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Interesting to see the transformation of a song, from some really awful words to the ones we all know and love. I found myself shouting "Tucson, use Tucson ..."

I definitely had a few, "NO! That's not how the song goes!" moments.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

Life of crime - HBO Max

Wow, raw
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject:

Finally got a chance to watch the Muhammad Ali doc by Ken Burns. It is about 8 hours long over 4 episodes, but worth it if you have the time. It think it gives you most of the good and bad with Ali in a way that allows the viewer to honestly recognize his flaws as a man while still admiring his greatness.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I rewatched The Fog Of War (2003, re: Robert McNamara, JFK/LBJ/Cuban Crisis, etc). He was sharp as a tack to the end. Complex figure, a driving force behind the doings in Vietnam, but he and JFK had announced an orderly withdrawal of US military advisers, but then SV Pres Diem (in a coup) and Kennedy were assassinated 20 days apart. Johnson was too eager to be rash under the domino theory of the time. Made his another tragic presidency because, of the two, he was the rarer domestic policy maven/horsetradeer/intimidator w/ much heavier clout in Congress than Kennedy had. He was a New Deal Democrat holdover from the FDR era.

Beyond that, McNamara's push at Ford Motors to study crash results lead the industry and the resulting safety measures unquestionably saved many American lives. I don't think he was an evil man, but with age/experience (often) comes wisdom, at least for non-narcissistic sociopaths. A few of his well-considered points that I'm morphing together were that intelligence and rationality aren't enough in foreign policy without empathy of the other. Thkfully, Jack was the Pres during the CMC because if Nixon, or maybe Johnson, or maybe Ike were instead, stuff might've gone down. It makes all the intrigue about JFK's libido and medications all the more lame. Simply not taking unilateral advice from Curtis LeMay warmonger types who pissed in his ear to preemptively attack is the point.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Just watched the documentary about Anthony Bourdain, Roadrunner, over the weekend.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Been perusing Frontlines from their YT chan on my telly. Watched the entire one from 2015 on Salmonella var. Heidelberg and its presence in Foster Farms raw chicken packages and their unwillingness to consider Salmonella as an adulterant as the beef industry labeled E. coli after the well-publicized hamburger deaths in 1993. The Frontline was dated 5/12/15. Incidentally, on 5/5 of that year, I got what I think was food poisoning after eating some chicken strips from Popeyes. Thus and so, I can't rule out that the cretin who boxed them up hit me up w/ a Jordan/Kobe playoffs bug. I've never been sicker in a single day in my entire life and was still illin for 2 more days and had a cluster of migraines for at least 10 days. V n D over and over. Being that Salmonella Heidelberg was going around at that exact time, may bee.

Also peeped the 2017 one on football related dementia and the fight to get that worm Roger Goodell to acknowledge the sport as one of the causative factors. Sobering thing was that the doctor responsible for examining the brains of football players found the condition even in the brains of an 18 and a 21 yr old, the 21 year old having committed suicide a la Junior Seau. If you look at the salaries of footballers compared to baseball and basketball, I don't know why on earth any kid once mature enough to see the disparity would wanna continue w/ football and that's even before the debilitating brain condition that they will likely contract starting in HS. They showed a Pee Wee game in the doc where a little kid got his bell rung and he was staggering as they helped him walk off the field.
Macferson
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRuls wrote:
It starts kind of slow due to the non-narrative, "fly-on-the-wall" format, but about midway through the first episode, it starts to become interesting as the interpersonal dynamics start to reveal themselves. And it's pretty cool to see them noodling around for ideas and hear the first couple of familiar notes of what would become the final songs. I even converted the film via Online Video Converter to fit the resolution of my Iphone 6 plus. Very useful!

The Making of The Mob is also gorgeous. Highly recommend!

Last edited by Macferson on Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Night Stalker on Netflix.

Boy, does it take me back. I remember Ramirez's run through East LA and the SGV that summer. It was hotter than hell and not being able to open the windows that summer SUCKED.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

Boy, does it take me back. I remember Ramirez's run through East LA and the SGV that summer. It was hotter than hell and not being able to open the windows that summer SUCKED.

Saw it. Diane Feinstein didn't do the LA detectives a solid by casually leaking the unpublic info about him. Thankfully, for all of us and for her, it wasn't too much longer util they had a name and a picture and he F'd up on his own and was F'd up by his own. It was a nice, fitting touch that he was apprehended by working class Latinos from Boyle Heights. The detective who had him pegged for both kids and adults was hopefully commended in some way because they laughed at him for suggesting it. It's admittedly natural to keep under the assumption that serial rapists/killers stick to an age group above all other things, and then stick to their own racial group. That's true much of the time, but serial killers come in all different forms. Ramirez was that one who no one was safe from. And the cop and his wife/kids whose window Ramirez opened too loudly. Either Ramirez would've been shot or they would've been in for horror. Imagine knowing that freak had opened your front window. He was savvy up until his name and face were out there. Knew his cover was blown. Some of are savvy, some are sloppy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject:

It is a couple years old, but I recently watched Supps: The Movie. It basically explores the sports supplement industry from it's inception to the current era. It is not a very good doc, but if you were one of those guys that wasted too much money on every new supplement (personally guilty) in the '90's, it is somewhat fun and nostalgic to look back at all of the "miracle" products.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Watched the first episode of Kamau Bell's "We Need to Talk About Cosby.".
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

Yeah I watched this doc last year. Really liked it.

I commented on a bunch of Netflix docs I have watched recently on the TV thread, but I should have put it on this thread. I won't post that again, but the ones I mentioned recently seeing were The Devil Next Door, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann, Amanda Knox, The Staircase, and Misha And The Wolves. I enjoyed all of them.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Boeing on Netflix, didn’t expect it to be good but it is, started with the Lion air crash and opened up everything, go watch it
Ava96
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject:

Hbo has a good list of documentary movies, the last one I saw was "Diana,our mother". I installed HBO Max Addon on Kodi, following the instructions from this website, it was easy and quickly. I recommend to use a VPN for added security and privacy reasons. Good luck, and enjoy the show!

Last edited by Ava96 on Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Yeah I watched this doc last year. Really liked it.

I commented on a bunch of Netflix docs I have watched recently on the TV thread, but I should have put it on this thread. I won't post that again, but the ones I mentioned recently seeing were The Devil Next Door, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann, Amanda Knox, The Staircase, and Misha And The Wolves. I enjoyed all of them.

Do you think lovely Amanda did it? I can't see it given her demeanor. But that can be a facade. There are cases of women contributing to murder that is perpetrated by their man. Karla Homolka is the most disturbing. Total sociopath herself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: