'21-'22 Laker mid-season awards

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: '21-'22 Laker mid-season awards

Welp, we've now played 41 games and are exactly at the mid-season point of the schedule. What awards are you handing out to our squad at this point based on what you've seen so far? The categories and recipients are completely up to you. Here's my list:

~ Most Valuable Player: Lebron, with no explanation necessary.

~ Rookie of the Year: AR-15, with no explanation necessary.

~ Most Improved Player (from Game 1 to Game 41): I'm leaning towards THT. He has been terrible for soooo long that it is kinda nice seeing how well he's played for the past three games or so. Hopefully it continues into the second half (or at least until we trade him in a package for a defensive PF)

~ Best Bargain Contract: Malik Monk has been absolutely amazing for the minimum wage he gets paid. He may very well be the best bargain the Lakers have ever been able to snag at a price so low. What a great pick up.

~ Most Awful Contract: There's probably no one on planet earth who thinks Westbrook's play is worth $44m a year, and if he were honest, I'd say that WB would agree to this as well. I mean, we could easily list a dozen point guards who'd be consistently better... and maybe even two dozen. Compared to early season he's calmed down the turnovers and limits his trey attempts, but man is he frustrating to watch.

~ Most Underappreciated Award: I didn't expect much from Wayne Ellington when he was signed. Almost all good shooters regress when they wear the purple 'n gold, and at his age and size I thought there would be nothing else he could contribute, ESPECIALLY on the defensive end. I apologize to him because he has been much better all around as a player. He hustles on defense (even with his limitations) and his shot has been money. Still, he doesn't really get much playing time these days. Hopefully he gets some regular minutes as we move forward.

~ I Miss You the Most Award: Of all the Lakers we've lost since our 2020 championship season, the one I miss the most for this current squad is Markieff Morris. He was perfect as a backup defensive SF/PF that got rebounds, helped guard the paint as well as rotating to affect opposing jump shooters. The offense was spotty at best, but this season's Lakers are suffering more on the defensive end, which is where MM would have the most impact.

~ "See, I Told You Not to Blame Me" Trainer Award: Nina Hsieh was dumped as the head of the team's medical / trainer unit after injuries derailed our season. So far this season under new management we've had every player miss games for one reason or another except for Melo. Even if we put aside Covid absences, we've still dealt with a TON of injuries so far.

~ "OK, I Admit I Was Wrong" Award: This post of mine from the summer turned out to be my worst take in a long time:
joeblow wrote:
KB was one of my main hopefuls for minimum wagers on the team. We desperately need wings and he has both the size and defensive energy to be effective. His shooting is just OK, but we could do a LOT worse for minimum wage.

Welcome back Bazemore!!!

Bazemore's been beyond terribad for us despite looking pretty good in Golden State last season.

~ Most In Need of a Heart Transplant: For someone in the absolute prime of his career, it's been astonishing watching Anthony Davis go through the motions so passively on the court. Maybe he was dealing with nagging injuries before he went down that we were not aware of... I hope that was the case because if the problem was his lack of motivation, we could be in trouble heading into a brutal-looking playoff run.

~ Biggest Fan of "The Hobbit" Award: Rob Pelinka must really love the Shire based on all of the little players 6'4" or smaller that he's brought over to the Lakers in the past six months (ignoring the need for more legit SF/PF sized players in the process). How many is too many? So far we have (or had) WB, Monk, THT, Bradley, Baze, Ellington, Nunn, Rondo, I. Thomas, and D. Collison. How many traditionally-sized forwards of at least 6'7" so far? Lebron, Melo, and Ariza. We were told AD would focus on being a Center this season, but add him too if you want... and that's it! I know the Hobbits saved the day at the end of the movie, but this is real life Rob!

~ Great Attitude Award: Last season Dwight Howard apparently signed a deal away from the Lakers out of anger that we didn't show enough respect to work out a deal with him after the championship. Not only did he dial the hurt feelings down enough to sign with us this year, but he seems to be graciously accepting all of these DNP-CD no shows over the past month or so. When he does get some playing time, he still goes all out to the best of his ability and makes a positive impact. I for one really appreciate him not pouting and staying ready as he cheers on his teammates from the bench.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Biggest Fan of "The Hobbit" Award: Rob Pelinka must really love the Shire based on all of the little players 6'4" or smaller that he's brought over to the Lakers in the past six months (ignoring the need for more legit SF/PF sized players in the process). How many is too many? So far we have (or had) WB, Monk, THT, Bradley, Baze, Ellington, Nunn, Rondo, I. Thomas, and D. Collison. How many traditionally-sized forwards of at least 6'7" so far? Lebron, Melo, and Ariza. We were told AD would focus on being a Center this season, but add him too if you want... and that's it! I know the Hobbits saved the day at the end of the movie, but this is real life Rob!

Hahaha

You been one of the most vocal towards our short comings in roster construction.

Is Chad the bartender still employed by the Lakers? Maybe dude goes by Chode now and got in Rob’s ear. Bruh, he’s lying to you….size does matter!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject:

Outside of Reaves, Monk and LBJ no Lakers should be in the same sentence as the word award.

Honorable mention to Avery Bradley though for just doing his tough job of taking on star guards of the NBA and having to harass them just so the Lakers can somewhat be competitive.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Outside of Reaves, Monk and LBJ no Lakers should be in the same sentence as the word award.

Honorable mention to Avery Bradley though for just doing his tough job of taking on star guards of the NBA and having to harass them just so the Lakers can somewhat be competitive.

Melo for home game 6MOY
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Melo for home game 6MOY

The home game staples/crypto bright lights award
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Worth their spot

Bron MVP offense
AD MVP Defense
Monk 3rd option
Reaves Glue guy
Bradley Best man D
Melo Sniper off bench
Howard Legit useful Big off bench

Literally ok with getting rid of everyone else.

* can’t yet decide on * so to see more of Nunn/Stanley
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Worth their spot

Bron MVP offense
AD MVP Defense
Monk 3rd option
Reaves Glue guy
Bradley Best man D
Melo Sniper off bench
Howard Legit useful Big off bench

Literally ok with getting rid of everyone else.

* can’t yet decide on * so to see more of Nunn/Stanley

Not a fan of Ellington?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: