State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

This season really has been one from hell (understatement).

All I ask from the basketball gods is that the Dodgers owners get majority ownership of Lakers. Buss family just can’t hang with today’s sports $$$ environment.

Not even worried about #18 this season, just please let it work out where the Dodgers owners get control.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

LakerSD wrote:

All I ask from the basketball gods is that the Dodgers owners get majority ownership of Lakers. Buss family just can’t hang with today’s sports $$$ environment.

Not even worried about #18 this season, just please let it work out where the Dodgers owners get control.

i've been saying this for years. mom and pop shop gotta go, NBA is the playground for deep pocket owners.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

i've been saying this for years. mom and pop shop gotta go, NBA is the playground for deep pocket owners.

I don't know if I agree, none of the issues with the Lakers are financial. How will having a deep pocket owner change things?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

al242 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don't know if I agree, none of the issues with the Lakers are financial. How will having a deep pocket owner change things?

Jeannie Buss knows how to mask the fact her family is running on a budget. she'll get your big names, whether they fit or not, or over the hill, doesn't matter, big name sells in LA, she knows that. then, she will penny pinching everywhere else, from medical training staff, to head coach to front office personnel. for regular fans, they just see the big names, wow we have LeBron James, AD and Russ, but basically it's a hollow team from top down.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

al242 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

why didn't they resign AC? it is always Financial. not building their own Arena like the big ballers will come back to hunt us. family mom and pop are nice under the old salary rules, but the new ones are for whales.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

LakerSD wrote:

People have been saying this for at least 20 years.

I've seen no indication the Buss family has any interest in selling the team.

Jeanie is 60. I don't get the impression there is much in her life other than the Lakers, so I don't see her wanting to give up her position anytime soon. The money she'd get from selling the team probably wouldn't change her life much; but losing the job running the Lakers would erase her public identity.

Jim and Jesse Buss have important positions on the team, and they are in their mid-30s. I don't know much about them, but they might be eying their turn for the top seat after Jeanie steps down in -- what? -- 10 or 15 years?
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers choosing Wish as their OG jersey sponsor told me everything I needed to know about their operations
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jeanie is 60. I don't get the impression there is much in her life other than the Lakers, so I don't see her wanting to give up her position anytime soon. The money she'd get from selling the team probably wouldn't change her life much; but losing the job running the Lakers would erase her public identity.

Jim and Jesse Buss have important positions on the team, and they are in their mid-30s. I don't know much about them, but they might be eying their turn for the top seat after Jeanie steps down in -- what? -- 10 or 15 years?

it would change her life forever, her income is from the Lakers, and when divided by family members, she probably gets like 20-30 mil.
selling the team gets her a windfall
lakers are valued at 5B, and i expect a huge premium on top of that. 7B is not unrealistic. 66% of 7B is 4.6B ish. every buss kid gets 700-800 mil.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

2012-2013 vibes.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I think in order to sell the Lakers, all six members of the Buss Family Trust would have to agree but Jeanie is stubborn. She will never give up control. Almost like she's trying to prove something.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I think in order to sell the Lakers, all six members of the Buss Family Trust would have to agree but Jeanie is stubborn. She will never give up control. Almost like she's trying to prove something.

I think it is emotional as well. It is part of her family and upbringing. Like a washed up movie star who can't give up the limelight. Sentimentality and business don't mix in today's business world and hers are always on full display.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/1489471149394182148
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jimbo is 62, believe it or not. He’s actually older than Jeanie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Buss

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I think it is emotional as well. It is part of her family and upbringing. Like a washed up movie star who can't give up the limelight. Sentimentality and business don't mix in today's business world and hers are always on full display.

Imagine your family owning the Lakers for most of your life and then suddenly not anymore. Would be a weird feeling.

It’s strange how the positions of the Clippers and Lakers have reversed. Instead of Sterling, the Clippers now have Ballmer. And instead of Dr. Buss, the Lakers have his idiot children.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jim is over 60. Maybe you mean Joey and Jesse, but I believe that Jeanie could get voted out of her position, just as well as the Buss family could vote to sell the team. Either that, or some of the Buss's could give up their shares to, say the dodgers owner to make them majority share holder.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject:

NBA not gonna do Lakers any favor by doing "Jon Gruden" on Jeannie Buss, or will they LOL
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
strong9 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Imagine your family owning the Lakers for most of your life and then suddenly not anymore. Would be a weird feeling.

It’s strange how the positions of the Clippers and Lakers have reversed. Instead of Sterling, the Clippers now have Ballmer. And instead of Dr. Buss, the Lakers have his idiot children.

No doubt. I get it. And it isn't easy. I have sympathy forbher as a human but as a fan I believe it is a severe impediment fornthe franchise.

I grew up a Bears fan and I see how Halas' daughter and her family have completely neutered a flagship franchise with mismanagement in the same manner.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

LakerSD wrote:

Logistically that has such a small chance of happening that it doesn’t seem likely. Getting a majority of the 7 stakeholders to agree seems impossible when they have spent years backstabbing each other. The younger boys likely want their shot as the top dog, Janie is probably happy with that annual check for doing nothing. Jim would likely vote against anything Jeanie would want and visa versa. It honestly might take some of them kicking the bucket. And unlike MLB, you can’t go out and spend $300 mil on a pitcher.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jim is over 60. Maybe you mean Joey and Jesse, but I believe that Jeanie could get voted out of her position, just as well as the Buss family could vote to sell the team. Either that, or some of the Buss's could give up their shares to, say the dodgers owner to make them majority share holder.

Some of the kids can’t sell their shares, it is all or none.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

mad55557777 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

it would change her life forever, her income is from the Lakers, and when divided by family members, she probably gets like 20-30 mil.
selling the team gets her a windfall
lakers are valued at 5B, and i expect a huge premium on top of that. 7B is not unrealistic. 66% of 7B is 4.6B ish. every buss kid gets 700-800 mil.

My guess is she already has as much money as she needs to live a very comfortable life and pretty much do whatever she wants to do on a personal level. Even if she made a few hundred million dollars after taxes, I question whether there is anything she could do with the money that would give her as much pleasure as running the Lakers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yes I did indeed mean Joey and Jesse. As others have noted, I don't believe individual family members can sell their shares, according to the rules of the family trust.

Sure, at some point the family could decide to sell the Lakers. It's anyone's guess precisely what the internal politics of the family are and who might favor such a move. But I don't get the impression that there's any great momentum toward a sale.

Perhaps the main point is that the family's decision to sell or not sell probably won't be affected at all by what fans want. The Buss family members have heard fans demanding they sell the team most of their lives, and it's probably white noise to them by now.

How the team is doing it any particular moment in time probably won't dramatically affect the price they get, or affect their decision on whether or not to sell. That decision will be based on their own personal needs not the teams performance or the desires of fans

Last edited by activeverb on Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers can have a crap season.... yes I know shocking.

Temper expectations peeps.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I would not be surprised if some of the Buss kids opposed selling the team because they think that would be disrespectful to their father, who wanted it to remain under the control of the family.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Some of the kids can’t sell their shares, it is all or none.

Interesting, but makes sense.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yes I did indeed mean Joey and Jesse. As others have noted, I don't believe individual family members can sell their shares, according to the rules of the family trust.

Sure, at some point the family could decide to sell the Lakers. It's anyone's guess precisely what the internal politics of the family are and who might favor such a move. But I don't get the impression that there's any great momentum toward a sale.

Perhaps the main point is that the family's decision to sell or not sell probably won't be affected at all by what fans want. The Buss family members have heard fans demanding they sell the team most of their lives, and it's probably white noise to them by now.

How the team is doing it any particular moment in time probably won't dramatically affect the price they get, or affect their decision on whether or not to sell. That decision will be based on their own personal needs not the teams performance or the desires of fans

This also makes sense. I definitely don't see Jesse and Joey wanting to sell the team, them being the youngest. They stand to inherit it all, as the others start dropping; not that i'm wishing death on them. I actually don't see them all selling the team neither nor, as a supporter am I for that or if they do, thy do. I would just prefer them getting better in the FO, have a vision, and focus on the product on the floor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: