BUCKS -at- LAKERS - 2-8-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: BUCKS -at- LAKERS - 2-8-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Buckets... The Lakers gave them up tonight.

The Lakers nearly allowed 80 points in the first half. If it wasn’t for a couple of missed FTs by the Bucks, they would have had it. The Lakers gave up a 7-point possession during one defensive stand in that second quarter..

Trailing 78-56 heading into the second half, once again some boo’s came out for Westbrook in the third when he attacked baseline and threw a pass away, moments later on the defensive end, he then got a rebound and threw the outlet away. The Lakers fell back by 27 and Crypto was annoyed.

They weren’t coming back from this one. Not against the Bucks. But it wasn’t without trying.

Down as many as 30, the Lakers cut that back to 10 with 5 minutes left on a Monk slam. There was time enough to make up that 10 points, but how many points did the Bucks really need to score in the fourth of this one? They just needed a few buckets, and they got those to hold onto the 131-116 win.

LeBron -- -- The three ball looked good early on, but we didn’t do much to try to set that up (how about more inverted screens with a shooter?). You could see when he took threes where he was fading back, he’d come up short. Some bully ball in the fourth quarter that was nice to see. He had a reverse jam early on against Giannis that he thought should have been an And-1 in the first half and picked up a rare tech. Funny because there was some discussion between games about how LeBron doesn’t get techs. The ref turned that And-1 into a Minus-1 for him. The small ball seemed a little lost on D tonight. They were inconsistent on switching and didn’t team rebound well. It struggled. The Stats: He scored 27 points on 11-19 shooting (3-7 from three, 2-4 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 8 assists, 4 turnovers and 4 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a -25.

Davis -- -- It seemed like a quiet 10 points in the first half. At times the Bucks were able to ball deny or send help. But he did get rejected badly by Giannis on a jumper on one poor offensive possession where tried to iso. Meanwhile, Giannis was hitting everything on the other end. You could see the energy pick up a bit in that second half to more of the level we’ve been seeing. That helped the Lakers on one of their rare stretches where they got stops and turned that into a small run. In the fourth, another rejection on help D as we cut the lead to 12. Giannis was just too efficient in this game for the Lakers to get the W. He’d score 44 points on 17-20 shooting. Just dominated. We needed better D there by multiple guys. The Stats: He scored 22 points on 8-10 shooting (6-10 from the line) to go with 9 boards (4 offensive), 1 steal, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -8.

Westbrook -- -- Well, awful again. Once he sat in the third, he did not return. To his credit, he didn’t pout. Looked like a good teammate out there praising the effort of his other two stars. His first shift was an 0-4, 2-turnover, -14 outing. Basically, picking up where he left off. What’s not reflected in the stats is the amount of times the defense can ball deny or double off him elsewhere to take away one of our other strengths (which is how you defend Russ teams come playoff time). You use his weaknesses to neutralize other threats by packing the paint or ball denial on others. A lot to get the arena groaning in this one early on. He traveled off the three line. He stepped on the baseline. He badly bricked an 8-footer, trying to bank it I think. In the second half, the boo’s happened again after back-to-back passing turnovers. The Lakers did show some of the things you might do with Westbrook to make him work offensively. They just didn’t show those with any consistency. LeBron found him in the dunker spot for an And-1. Positioning him there you have to keep a body near him and can’t send help as easily. They also ran one of the inverted pick and rolls to find him for FTs. Using him to set screens (like that and other ways) is another method to lessen the 4-on-5 possessions. I liked some of the rebounding better in this game. If you are struggling, find other things and he won some battles down there that he hadn’t been lately. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 3-11 shooting (0-1 from three, 4-7 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 5 assists, 1 block, 4 turnovers and 1 foul in 26 minutes. He was a -16.

Monk -- -- No crazy third quarter scoring in this one to dig the Lakers out of a hole. I don’t like seeing him start with iso with the frequency he did early on in this one. It just means our offense is lost. I want catch-and-shoots, attacking closeouts, good looks. Keep it simple. Get him going first. He’d hit a lefty layup in the fourth cutting to cut the lead to 14. He had a two-hand jam to cut it to 10 with 5 minutes left. That was beastly, blew past a big on the switch. He’d miss a big open three with 4 minutes left, though. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 7-16 shooting (3-10 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnover sand 2 fouls in 32 minutes. He was a -6.

Ariza -- -- Into the starting lineup for this one. We saw a rare score from Ariza after attacking off the three line all the way to the rim for a layup. Usually, you see the defense catch up or rotate to help on those. The ball then slowly moves and the defense catches up to erase whatever advantage we had when he originally caught the ball. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-5 shooting (1-3 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 2 steal and 3 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a -19.

Johnson -- -- He led the team with a +4. Some moments scoring, sinking a three and some finishes at the rim (tip-ins, as well, including a couple off his own misses). Good job putting that pressure on the rim. He bumped off Giannis on one transition drive that the Bucks decided to challenge and failed. I liked seeing that bully ball from him, and against a big guy like Giannis. He gave some of that 16 points he scored back on a single flagrant-1 foul. It was an And-1 on Middleton who made a three and a tech, then the Bucks sank another three on that same possession. So a 7-point possession. When it rains it pours. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 7-13 shooting (1-4 from three, 1-3 from the line) to go with 6 boards (3 offensive), 1 assist, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +4.

Reaves -- -- Again, I like seeing Aggressive Austin. Triple-threat action in the first half tonight. He sank a corner three. He attacked off the a LeBron feed and dunked with both hands. He hit a runner off glass for another score. He’d swish a three in the fourth to cut the lead to 16. Then, he drew a charge on the other end to get a stop. He’d have a big miss on a step-back three, though, later. Then followed that by being unable to secure a defensive board. Again, some of the strength issues he’ll be dealing with until, hopefully, next year. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-6 shooting (2-4 from three) to go with 1 board and no fouls in 20 minutes. He was a -2.

Horton-Tucker -- -- Some good moments on D with steals and blocks, including a rejection out of bounds. That helped the Lakers when we were struggling to find anything on that end. But on the offensive end, kind of annoying to be honest. Attacking crowds, getting caught in the air to shoot it and deciding not to for a turnover. Trying to throw a lob to LeBron who had a crowd around him. Missing a reverse when the team was about to string together some stops. Just kind of frustrating. This is how it goes with young players. Unfortunately, our timeline was, well, more on the Caruso timeline than the THT timeline. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 1-3 shooting (0-1 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +2.

Bradley -- -- A nothing game from AB. The Stats: He missed both threes, had 1 board, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 16 minutes. He was a -5.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Maybe getting suckered into thinking we could come back, so he kept LBJ and AD out there on the first night of a back-to-back. At least we’re going into a crime scene in the next game and should be able to take that game..

Key Substitution: LeBron back in with 5:33 left, no Westbrook as we cut the lead to 12. Vogel played him just 26 in this one.

Key Stats: You need to be giving up 78 points after three quarters, not two.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, I can only imagine how nauseating it is to do a write up after a performance like this ....... regardless, always a good read.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject:

On behalf of Rob/LBJ/AD, sorry Vogel. We were once able to handle a team like the Bucks
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Same story, different day. Here, blown off the floor by a good team. These 4th quarter "runs" are whatever to me...down by a truck load, good luck. You should not be falling behind by a truck load.

Bottom line?

This team sucks.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
Thanks DB, I can only imagine how nauseating it is to do a write up after a performance like this ....... regardless, always a good read.

Painful. The game was over early and it's a bit frustrating to write up when you know that. I'm gonna have to take some mental health days here...
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject:

So is lebron going to tweet out another apology?
We almost beat the Bucks without lebron in Milwaukee, lol (not saying this is his fault)
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
So is lebron going to tweet out another apology?
We almost beat the Bucks without lebron in Milwaukee, lol (not saying this is his fault)

"To Laker fans: I apologize for trading all the teams assets for Russ."

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Has Westbrook lost his confidence??

Even if the team was improving, would they have defeated the Bucks - NO

Elite teams are supposed to badly beat teams like yesterday’s Lakers

How they play tomorrow is the biggest question

Being blown out on national tv and lambasted by the TNT crew, how will Lebron show his leadership in keeping everybody accountable

How will Lebron and AD show up - aren’t the last line of defense??
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject:

My thoughts are: I'm sure glad I did sit thru the torture of this game...
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for writing this up, the brightest light in these dark days.

THT is younger than Luka Doncic, he has potential, but as you said, our timeline was more in sync with Caruso... It just feels they want to win now AND build for the future...

Some bad games, I understand, having a losing preseason and slow start is ok.... but Westbrook at this point looks like he is regressing instead of progressing, he went from awful to serviceable and now back to awful.... I really hope he bounces back and shuts us all up and brings us a parade.... Too optimistic?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject:

Talen forced Giannis into a rare miss at the rim. He was also great at point during the run to start the fourth to get back in the game.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. These are some sad days.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject:

This was the big test before deadline, failed spectacularly at home… we’ll see what happened tmrw
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject:

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB and great job getting this spanking somehow written
down. You mentioned "painful"; that's the right word.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject:

After games like this, the supply of available curse words are insufficient to meet the demands needed for a T&R.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject:

I think we can put to bed the notion that "no team wants to face a healthy AD/LBJ in the playoffs".

We're food
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject:

Everyone was on the bench Bradley wagon. I knew it wouldn't help. Monk is not a starting level player on a contender. He's got a lot of good things to his game that help AD/Bron. But we need defenders. We need guys like Bradley, KCP, Danny Green. They all had limitations. They all had drawbacks. But they always give 100% and they always willing to be held accountable.

Guys like Westbrook, Monk, Melo etc These guys they look great when they're on. You don't win with these dudes. But I expect Frank to be the one that gets the blame.

Yeah, the offense looks like it's reverting from where it was 2 months ago. But there's also a reason for that. We're starting to have AD back, and we're not playing pure small ball anymore. The team is built around AD/Bron, but we're actually playing a style that's somewhere in between a RW team and an AD/Bron team. We have to marry ourselves to one style of team and live with it.

I mean the way we let the Bucks score on us. Come on, that's just unacceptable. But they'll blame Frank. Frank can't even build an elite D because an elite D for him needs 2 rim protection guys and AD to be able to switch on the perimeter. Instead because of WB, AD has to always play 5 or Bron has to play 5. They can't be good on D, or their best, and they can't really benefit in offense. Right in the middle, mediocre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

78 points allowed in a half.

The ABA is back in 2022 in Los Angeles!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

My take away after this game and the Buck-Clipper game is that the Bucks are on a whole different level. No wonder they are the champs.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Oh man how this team as fallen in the last year and a half.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: