Lakers Showtime Series coming to HBO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Adrien Brody already played a mobster in Peaky Blinders. That's a shoe in to play the NBA's Don. Also, his long face and aquiline nose is perfect for the role too.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Adrien Brody already played a mobster in Peaky Blinders. That's a shoe in to play the NBA's Don. Also, his long face and aquiline nose is perfect for the role too.

I'm very excited for this show. TV tends to exaggerate true stories. But from the stories we already know about (from the players and media). It's going to be tough for the show to top that. Only way they could screw this up is if they make AC Green the main character.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I'm very excited for this show. TV tends to exaggerate true stories. But from the stories we already know about (from the players and media). It's going to be tough for the show to top that. Only way they could screw this up is if they make AC Green the main character.

The show wouldn't need to be on HBO if that was the case..
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Don't be putting that ish into the universe lmao.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Can you imagine. They go to practice. Players joking around about how hard they are going to party at a drug and alcohol fueled orgy mansion in Beverly Hills. Celebrities, models, playboy playmates are expected to come.

Next scene. Saturday night. A.C. Green reading the bible and drinking a glass of hot cocoa. Feeling bad he put 5 marshmallows in there and praying for forgiveness. Next day. Shows up to practice. All the players joking around about the last night. Telling inside jokes Green and us (the audience) don't understand. Roll credits.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Can you imagine. They go to practice. Players joking around about how hard they are going to party at a drug and alcohol fueled orgy mansion in Beverly Hills. Celebrities, models, playboy playmates are expected to come.

Next scene. Saturday night. A.C. Green reading the bible and drinking a glass of hot cocoa. Feeling bad he put 5 marshmallows in there and praying for forgiveness. Next day. Shows up to practice. All the players joking around about the last night. Telling inside jokes Green and us (the audience) don't understand. Roll credits.

I strangely think an AC Green character it could be interesting if its told how he's conflicted with temptation... etc but not as the lead.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

How are you going to unpack the entire Showtime era in 1 hour?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
How are you going to unpack the entire Showtime era in 1 hour?

It's a series.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Larry Bird has been cast

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/bo-burnham-larry-bird-hbo-los-angeles-lakers-series-1234937465/
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1405918693087973376?s=21
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

So the Lakers got a series on HBO, comedy on Netflix and another series on Hulu? You go, Jeanie!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/adam-mckay-s-friendship-with-will-ferrell-went-sour-over-upcoming-hbo-los-angeles-lakers-project/ar-AARiWwP

Quote:
Adam McKay’s friendship with Will Ferrell went sour over upcoming HBO Los Angeles Lakers project

The creative split between Adam McKay and Will Ferrell two years ago was one of the more surprising developments in Hollywood culture, and a loss for movie comedy.

With their Gary Sanchez Productions company, the duo collaborated on movies including Step Brothers, The Other Guys, Anchorman 2, and Get Hard, TV series such as Eastbound & Down and Drunk History, and the Funny or Die website of short sketches and films.

Yet when news of McKay and Ferrell separating and shuttering Gary Sanchez Productions became public, it appeared to be the natural step for two creators going in contrasting creative directions. Ferrell recently told The Hollywood Reporter that the two had different ambitions for future projects, with McKay wanting to grow “a sphere of influence.”

McKay was moving into more serious material, directing films like The Big Short, Vice, and the upcoming Don’t Look Up, producing TV series including Succession, and documentaries such as HBO’s Q: Into the Storm. Ferrell continued to act in comedies like Downhill, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, Holmes & Watson, and most recently, the Apple TV+ series The Shrink Next Door. McKay created a new production company, Hyperobject Industries, while Ferrell launched Gloria Sanchez Productions.

But according to a Vanity Fair feature on McKay, what truly broke up the friendship with Ferrell was his upcoming Los Angeles Lakers limited series for HBO. Based on Jeff Pearlman’s 2014 book Showtime about the Lakers’ 1980s championship dynasty, Ferrell — a huge fan of the team — wanted to play team owner Jerry Buss in the series. But McKay, who moved the production to his company, wanted John C. Reilly to play Buss.

As McKay explained to Vanity Fair‘s Joe Hagan:

“‘The truth is, the way the show was always going to be done, it’s hyperrealistic,’ [McKay] says. ‘And Ferrell just doesn’t look like Jerry Buss, and he’s not that vibe of a Jerry Buss. And there were some people involved who were like, ‘We love Ferrell, he’s a genius, but we can’t see him doing it.’ It was a bit of a hard discussion.'”

Perhaps making the matter even more awkward is that Ferrell and Reilly are best friends. McKay tells Hagan that he didn’t want to hurt Ferrell’s feelings by casting Reilly. Yet he ended up doing so without telling Ferrell, who found out about the casting choice from Reilly himself. There were already tensions between Ferrell and McKay going back to the end of Gary Sanchez Productions, but getting passed over for the Buss role angered the actor so much that he and McKay haven’t corresponded since.

“I (bleep) up on how I handled that,” McKay laments. “It’s the old thing of keep your side of the street clean. I should have just done everything by the book.”

Any friendship turning sour seems particularly sad. Perhaps it seems even more surprising from a creative partnership that resulted in memorable comedies as Anchorman and Talladega Nights. The many fans of those movies will surely be disappointed to see that two aren’t likely to make more of them.

But as both McKay and Ferrell have now explained, this is also a familiar story of people naturally drifting apart, creatively and personally, and realizing they want different things. Yet the final blow apparently being McKay’s upcoming Lakers series, and who plays Dr. Jerry Buss, certainly puts that project in a new, curious light. At least we know John C. Reilly is likely to do very well in that role.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/house-of-the-dragon-hbo-in-treatment-casey-bloys-1235183254/

Quote:
Bloys is bullish on “Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty,” which premieres March 6. And he confirms that producers are indeed eyeing multiple seasons — which means perhaps taking the story even beyond the Showtime Lakers era, into the 1990s and 2000s.

“Even before we went into production, it was just one of those realizations that the Lakers dynasty is still going,” he said. “The drama is still ongoing, so there’s no reason why it has to end at the end of the Showtime era. It can keep going. So obviously we’ll see what [the executive producers] want to do. But I think it will be multiple seasons for sure.”

Could that mean we’ll eventually see Kobe and Shaq, or even LeBron? Bloys said hang tight — he doesn’t want to rush the show. “It will probably kind of stay chronological,” he said. “I don’t I don’t see a reason to jump too far ahead. There’s a lot of drama along the way between when this starts in 79 or 1980 through 2022. It’s still ongoing. So that should give you a couple seasons of drama to chronicle.”
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

If the NBA/Lakers are against it this must be more authentic than I thought.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/winning-time-adam-mckay-john-c-reilly-hbo-laker-series-1235097468/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Quote:

How HBO’s Lakers Series Ticked Off the NBA, Ended a Friendship and Became the Most Anticipated Sports Show in Decades
'Winning Time' producer Adam McKay and his cast and crew reveal the big offscreen plays and occasional fouls behind the show they were told was impossible to pull off: "We can't do this with a subpar Magic Johnson."

It was Easter Sunday, back in 2014, when Jim Hecht, a down-on-his-luck screenwriter, arrived at Jeff Pearlman’s door. He needed desperately to catch a break and had just flown 3,000 miles hoping one would come in the form of television rights to Pearlman’s latest best-seller, Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty. His pitch was simple: He wanted to make Friday Night Lights about the 1980s Lakers. Sober for years already, he brought a bottle of nonalcoholic wine along with a block of chocolate and a big tomato, hoping to sweeten the offer, or, at the very least, to be remembered.

“I had no money, so if he’d been like, ‘$30,000,’ I would’ve been screwed,” recalls Hecht, whose résumé — then almost exclusively “talking animal movies” — offered little to convince anyone he was the guy for the job. But Pearlman’s own expectations were swirling somewhere in the basement. “By the time Jim came along, I’d probably had books of mine optioned 10 times,” says Pearlman, “and nothing ever happened.” So he let the guy who’d written an Ice Age movie shop his book around town for a year, and then another, and wasn’t remotely surprised when no one bit.

Related Stories
Casey Bloys
TV
From 'And Just Like That' to 'Westworld': 20 Questions With HBO/Max's Casey Bloys
John C. Reilly, Quincy Isaiah, Jason Clarke
TV
John C. Reilly Builds a Legendary Basketball Franchise in Trailer for Adam McKay's Lakers Series 'Winning Time'
The feedback was consistent: He’d never be able to cast Magic Johnson or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. But Hecht wasn’t ready to give up. In late 2015, he asked Kevin Messick, with whom he’d once developed a kids’ movie, to lunch. Messick wasn’t the die-hard NBA fan that Hecht was, but he liked his idea enough to enlist his own basketball-loving boss, Adam McKay, as a producer and later as a director, and suddenly doors that were previously sealed shut came swinging open.

The Oscar-winning filmmaker behind Don’t Look Up, The Big Short and Succession set up the project at HBO, where it will make its debut with a 10-episode first season starting March 6. In between, McKay filled out the cast with a mix of newcomers like Quincy Isaiah (as Earvin “Magic” Johnson) and Solomon Hughes (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and such heavy hitters as John C. Reilly (as the late Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss), Sally Field (his mother, Jessie), Adrien Brody (Pat Riley), Jason Clarke (Jerry West) and Jason Segel (Paul Westhead); and HBO renamed it Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty (to avoid any brand confusion with rival Showtime). When the first teaser dropped in early December, current Lakers star LeBron James summed up the excitement surrounding the series with six fire emojis, tweeting, “Wow!!!! I can’t wait for this,” to his following of 50 million. Esquire suggested that the nearly two-minute spot — with its fast cars, fur coats and even a little basketball — might just be the greatest trailer of all time.

But the show, for which McKay and company are already prepping a second season, hasn’t been without its share of behind-the-scenes drama, including the proverbial nail in the coffin of one of Hollywood’s most fruitful friendships (more on that later). The Lakers, now run by Jerry Buss’ daughter Jeanie Buss (played by Hadley Robinson), the NBA and the athletes that Winning Time portrays — none of whom are profiting from the series, much less have any creative input — allegedly detest its very existence. League lawyers have reached out about the use of NBA trademarks and logos, HBO confirms; and at least a few associated with the Showtime Lakers era have expressed concerns about a series with no plans to whitewash the unsavory parts of NBA life. Johnson, who has his own docuseries coming to Apple TV+ in the spring, declared he’s “not looking forward to it,” and Abdul-Jabbar (a longtime THR contributor) has said “the story of the Showtime Lakers is best told by those who actually lived through it.” Both will participate in a Lakers-sanctioned docuseries being released by Hulu this year.

“We’re coming at this with good intentions, but these guys don’t know that,” says McKay, who keeps a picture saved on his phone of him with Abdul-Jabbar at a 2019 THR party. “They’re used to a certain degree of media that’s always going after them, and if I could talk to them, I’d say, ‘No, no, don’t worry, we’re going to paint the whole picture,’ but I get it, they don’t know me or [our showrunner] Max Borenstein, and it’s their right to really not like it.”

Hecht, whose Lakers fanaticism was rivaled only by Sally Field’s on the HBO production, remains hopeful that they’ll all watch and ultimately enjoy the series. As for the fuss, he shrugs: “It feels like it’ll be good for the show.”

Lazy loaded image
“I’d been sitting at my kitchen table, thinking, ‘Man, I’m dead in the water, all this work, 80 movies, and I got nothing going on,’ when I got the text from Adam,” recounts John C. Reilly. PHOTOGRAPHED BY MUNACHI OSEGBU

The thing about making a TV series about the Lakers in Los Angeles is that everybody seems to have an opinion, and few are interested in keeping those opinions to themselves. “I’m always like, ‘Wait a minute, I wrote the show, but they know better than me?'” says producer Rodney Barnes, who’s had plenty of friends, including Snoop Dogg, tell him what the show is about, having never seen a frame of it. “It’s almost a slight warning, like, ‘This is what it’d better be.'”

Barnes and his fellow producers are confident that the series delivers, giving audiences all of the things they know they want — “the seminal moments,” he says, “the hug between Magic and Kareem, the championships, the passes, the skyhook” — and plenty more they don’t. It begins in 1979, with Magic being drafted by the Lakers, and season one spans his and Buss’ first year with the team as they resurrected the fabled franchise, commencing one of the greatest runs the game has ever seen and in the process reshaping the sport. The phrase “Showtime” describes the team’s relentless style of play and the razzle-dazzle, sports-as-entertainment atmosphere, with Buss, equal parts huckster, playboy and visionary, the ultimate impresario. Shifting the show from a limited-series format, as HBO initially envisioned, allowed the five writers — which include Hecht — the breathing room to spend more time off the court, exploring themes of class, gender, celebrity and race (and to pack in more sex, drugs and orgies, the staples of premium TV).

“Obviously basketball is a really interesting part of it, but, and I say this as a 50-year-old gay man who’s probably been to five basketball games in my life, it’s much more a human story,” says HBO president of programming Casey Bloys, who served as an informal test of the show’s broad appeal. And to the relief of Bloys’ legal department, the most unbelievable parts of that human story — a freak accident, an unseemly death — actually happened. McKay, who has navigated controversial terrain with projects like Vice and Q: Into the Storm, dismisses any legal concerns. “We know the drill at this point,” he says. “You get the fact-checkers, you check with the lawyers, and there are very clear parameters: You’re never going to create character-defining moments; it’s always going to be within the realm of the true story.”

Early on, the writers made a unilateral decision not to engage any of the series’ central characters, save former Lakers guard Norm Nixon, with whom they’ve forged a casual relationship through his actor son, DeVaughn, who plays a younger version of him in the show. Nixon had only two notes, having visited the L.A. set: He’d never gotten a pedicure, he claimed, and he wouldn’t have worn a fur coat. (Both details remain in the show.) “For us, it was really important to have this balanced version, and we felt, and still feel, that to be beholden to any individual perspective would unbalance it,” says co-creator Borenstein, himself a lifelong Lakers fan. Even Hecht, who keeps a framed picture of himself at age 6 with Magic at a shopping mall meet-and-greet on his desk, acknowledges, “I very selfishly fantasized about [meeting them all], but I think the way we did it is probably better for the project.”

Instead, the room relied heavily on Pearlman: his 496-page book, his decades of reporting and his intimate knowledge of the game. He may have had to Google Adam McKay on their first meeting, but he knew virtually everyone involved in the Showtime era. And until the HBO series was greenlit, he’d maintained what he calls a “great relationship” with the Lakers and president Jeanie Buss. In fact, she’d twice guested at a journalism course Pearlman taught and had been complimentary of Showtime and his 2020 follow-up, Three-Ring Circus: Kobe, Shaq, Phil, and the Crazy Years of the Lakers Dynasty. But now that his work was being adapted for TV, “nobody from the Lakers will have anything to do with me,” he reveals, “and it’s a bit of a bummer.” While Pearlman had no role in the writing of the series, he was sent scripts and cuts and offered notes of the technical variety. And if you watch very closely, you can catch the back of his head in the first episode, in which he plays a reporter. (His wife and children pop up as well.)

Lazy loaded image
Dr. Buss (played by Reilly) with his star point guard Magic Johnson (Isaiah). COURTESY OF WARRICK PAGE/HBO
Several other insiders were brought on as consultants, including at least one person in Jerry Buss’ professional inner circle, famed “Hoops Whisperer” Idan Ravin, who once trained Kobe Bryant and Stephen Curry. Ravin not only coached the actors on the court but also watched multiple edits to be sure the series’ basketball was up to par. They also tapped former Laker Rick Fox, who spent time as a fly on the wall in the writers room, where he’d field questions about player pressures and dynamics. Hecht, who’d met Fox in his partying days, had reached out. “Jim’s a real basketball fan, but he’s never been in the locker room or on the court, and so he needed someone who’d actually breathed that type of air over the course of a career like I did,” says Fox, who was bowled over by the amount of research that was put into getting the story right.

Then it came time for casting, and before it ever began, Winning Time came dangerously close to falling apart. “I turned to Kevin Messick at one point and said, ‘We can’t do this with a subpar Magic Johnson,'” recalls McKay. “I mean, it’s him, Dr. Buss, Jeanie and Kareem, that’s the story. But the smile at the middle of it, what brought it all together, was Magic Johnson. So if we can’t get this guy, we can’t make the show.’ ”

Lazy loaded image
Magic Johnson (left) and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, circa ’84. ANDREW D. BERNSTEIN/ NBAE/ GETTY IMAGES.

The producers saw dozens of potential Magics, and later possible Kareems, in what McKay calls the “craziest casting experience” of his career. The team had enlisted Francine Maisler, who had cast Succession and many of McKay’s movies, to track down a pair of great actors who could convincingly play basketball and bore a strong physical resemblance to hugely iconic stars. And in the case of Magic, one also who oozed charisma.

None made the hair on the back of their necks stand up until a tape came in from Quincy Isaiah, a native of Michigan, like Magic, with no IMDb résumé to speak of. McKay watched it in his office and shouted, “That’s him!” He brought Isaiah in for a callback, for which the newcomer tore through Pearlman’s book, and, later, a basketball audition with Fox, who worked the 6-foot-3 actor so hard he nearly threw up. That had been the goal. “I wanted to see how bad he wanted it,” says Fox, who ran the former college football player through an hour-plus of drills, waiting for any sign of quit. “He’d lean over and grab his shorts, and then he’d see me looking, and he’d stand up quickly and pop that smile like only Magic would. I remember turning to Max and Jim at the end, like, ‘Whoa, this kid’s got it.’ “

Lazy loaded image
“I remember turning to Max and Jim at the end, like, ‘Whoa, this kid’s got it,” Fox said of Quincy Isaiah. PHOTOGRAPHED BY MUNACHI OSEGBU
Not long after, McKay called to say he’d landed the part, at which point Isaiah did what anyone in his position would do: He hit mute and screamed at the top of his lungs. Then he called his mom, who shouted just as loudly. Soon, Isaiah was spending several hours a day training with Ravin and his co-stars. In whatever spare time was left, he devoured everything he could on Magic: his books, his game footage, his favorite music (including Earth, Wind & Fire, Hall & Oates and The Supremes), anything to try to tap into his psyche. People around the actor seemed to think he’d get to meet the real guy, but it hasn’t happened, and Isaiah has tried to put it out of his head. “I just didn’t want to get too hung up on it and psych myself out,” he explains. “Because this thing that we do [as actors] is a mind game, and the slightest thing can throw off your rhythm.”

Lazy loaded image
Solomon Hughes had just wrapped up a gig at Stanford when he landed the role of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. PHOTOGRAPHED BY MUNACHI OSEGBU
Finding their Kareem was every bit as challenging — and in some ways more so. “Kareem’s one of the most complex and interesting people in American history,” says McKay, who was desperate to get his unique combination right. “He’s the all-time leading scorer in the NBA, he’s a voice for a people and a movement, a writer, a thinker and a jazz aficionado.” He’s also 7-foot-2. Nobody they saw was quite right. Then Maisler’s office came across Hughes, a 6-foot-11 Ph.D. in higher education who’d played basketball for the Harlem Globetrotters — he seemed almost too good to be true. In fact, Hughes was sure he was being punked when an actor buddy with whom he’d played basketball at Berkeley told him about the opportunity.

Hughes had harbored aspirations of being an actor for decades; but after a postgrad stint in L.A. didn’t pan out, he played with the Globetrotters and then settled in academia. He’d just wrapped up a gig at Stanford when he landed the role, which he treated as he would any other research project: studying Kareem’s game, his broader interests and his published works. Unlike Isaiah, he also reached out to the man he’d be portraying, via Abdul-Jabbar’s manager, who swiftly shut down any possibility of the two connecting. Hughes, who shed 25 pounds and perfected his famed skyhook, has since made peace with the response.

Lazy loaded image
“Everything is done with such a love and sense of respect for these people, but it would be challenging to watch someone depict your life or a period of your life, if you’re well beyond it, and so I’m sensitive to that,” said Adrien Brody. PHOTOGRAPHED BY MUNACHI OSEGBU
The part of Dr. Buss, the team’s larger-than-life owner, who opens the series espousing the virtues of sex and basketball with a topless coed in his bed, was supposed to be considerably easier to cast. McKay’s then-partner and best pal Will Ferrell, a Lakers megafan, is said to have really wanted the role. And though McKay acknowledges that when the project first came up, “there was some discussion of who will play who,” once he got the pilot script in spring 2019, he tapped Boardwalk Empire’s Michael Shannon. He’d known Shannon for some 25 years — he and McKay’s wife, director Shira Piven, had worked together back in Chicago — and he loved the idea of showcasing the actor’s wickedly funny side. “And Will was good with it,” he says of the decidedly different casting choice. But soon it would become clear it wasn’t working.

“It really bugged Michael that we were breaking the fourth wall,” says McKay, referring to the direct-to-camera format for which the filmmaker is now well-known. “He kept saying, ‘I don’t like this. It throws me. I’m having a hard time.'” Then, about a week before the pilot was scheduled to shoot, and shortly after McKay and Ferrell had dissolved their 25-year creative partnership, Shannon dropped out. The project, which moved with McKay to his new shingle, needed a new Buss, and quickly. But rather than revisit Ferrell, McKay reached out to the actor’s Step Brothers co-star, John C. Reilly, with an offer. “I told him, ‘We’re in a weird spot here, but I’m directing the pilot and I think you’d destroy this,'” says McKay. Reilly had less than 48 hours to make a decision.

He wouldn’t need it. “I’d been sitting at my kitchen table, thinking, ‘Man, I’m dead in the water, all this work, 80 movies, and I got nothing going on,’ when I got the text from Adam,” recounts Reilly, who says it took him all of two hours to read the pilot script and sign on. The role was an opportunity to reunite with McKay, one his closest friends and biggest supporters, and the more that he read, the more he understood and felt defensive of Buss. “Like, for all of his reputation for being a hedonist, he really believed in women,” says the actor, “and he gave a lot of them in his organization big starts when no one else was doing that.” The fact that the late owner hadn’t written a book or doled out too many interviews meant that Reilly would have some freedom within the role, too, though he made a point not to ask which of his storylines actually happened, needing to believe all of them had. He also refrained from getting too far ahead on scripts so that when the audience sees his character thinking to himself, “I’m about to lose everything,” the actor could be doing the same.

But before Reilly signed on — before he grew out his hair and his mustache and got into a physical shape that allowed him to squeeze into Buss’ tight-fitting pants — he reached out to Ferrell. Recalls McKay: “It was at this weird moment where Will and I weren’t exactly hugging each other, even though there was nothing that terrible, and he called Will and said, ‘Hey, McKay just came to me with this.’ And Will was very hurt that I wasn’t the one to call him, and I should have. I (bleep) up.” Reilly is more diplomatic, offering only: “Will is one of my best friends, Adam is one of my best friends, I was delighted to get the job and that’s all I really have to say.”

Three months after Winning Time was ordered to series, the coronavirus pandemic catapulted the world into chaos. Suddenly, a show that relied on a sprawling ensemble and packed arenas seemed almost impossible. So, as The Forum, which they’d reconstructed at L.A. Center Studios, sat frozen in time, the writers room turned its attention back to the scripts, writing and rewriting for another year. Hughes, who’d taken a gig as visiting faculty at Duke in the interim, shaved off another five pounds, as he and his basketball-playing co-stars maintained their game; and McKay set off to shoot his latest Oscar contender. By the time cameras began rolling again, in spring 2021, a dizzying array of protocols had been put in place.

Lazy loaded image
Johnson mopped up Buss after the Lakers eliminated the Sixers in six during the 1980 NBA Finals. BETTMANN/GETTY IMAGES
For Field, whose own Lakers’ fandom began when her boys were young, the host of restrictions meant that she wasn’t able to catch any of the game she loved being played. “I called myself the old woman in the attic because I never got to come out of this one room,” she says, recalling how many of her scenes as Jessie Buss, Jerry’s single mother and a major influence in his life, were shot in the character’s penthouse, away from the action. “And these guys would have days and days of basketball [rehearsals and shoots], but I never got to see any of it, which was the most frustrating thing.” (Meanwhile, Field’s three sons are psyched about the series and have been pumping their mom for spoilers. “This will probably be one of the few projects of mine that they’ll watch,” says the two-time Oscar winner.)

As Winning Time’s premiere looms, HBO is pulling out all the stops to market it. The network shelled out millions for a well-timed Super Bowl spot and then sent its stars to Cleveland for NBA All-Star Weekend, where it hosted a special screening and afterparty — all as the league itself has opted not to engage in any way outside of the legal correspondence that Bloys characterizes as “lawyers doing what they do.” Contacted for this article, a rep for the Lakers said, simply, “We have no comment as we are not supporting nor involved with this project.” Johnson and Abdul-Jabbar declined to comment as well. Still, everyone involved with the series seems genuinely hopeful that those depicted will enjoy what they see, and at least a few seem reasonably confident that they will. “I see it as a celebration of that era, and I think it’s freakin’ great,” exclaims Fox, though he says he’s yet to discuss the project or whatever concerns exist with other former Lakers.

Lazy loaded image
In 1980, Lakers owner Jerry Buss hoisted the Larry O’Brien Championship trophy. RICH PILLING/NBAE VIA GETTY IMAGES
Adrien Brody, who scored the part of Pat Riley after one of his reps sent a savvy email to the producers with side-by-side shots of the Oscar winner and the iconic coach looking remarkably similar, offers a more nuanced perspective: “Everything is done with such a love and sense of respect for these people, but it would be challenging to watch someone depict your life or a period of your life, if you’re well beyond it, and so I’m sensitive to that.” In recent weeks, there had been some spirited debate among the producers and HBO about whether to invite some subsection of the people portrayed to watch before the rest of the world does, but ultimately they’ve decided to let it just roll out as planned.

In the meantime, the writers are back in the room plotting out season two, which hasn’t been given a formal green light, but one seems likely to come soon. What initially was envisioned to conclude with Magic’s HIV announcement in 1991 now seems open-ended. “If the stories are there and the different eras are there, why not keep exploring it?” says Bloys, whose network has quietly optioned Pearlman’s follow-up, which takes readers through the Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal era of the Lakers. Pearlman himself has relocated to Southern California and, on the back of Winning Time, landed a deal to write his first screenplay, about a fictitious school shooting. And Hecht, whose fortunes also changed on Pearlman’s doorstep all those years ago, is happily married for the first time, with a created-by credit on one of the most anticipated shows on television. He also recently celebrated 20 years of sobriety with a party that included members of Winning Time’s cast and crew. Pearlman arrived with a bottle of nonalcoholic wine, a block of chocolate and, yes, a big tomato, the only gift that made sense.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject:

I'm also looking forward to the Hulu series on the showtime teams, especially if it will be similar to The Last Dance and have a lot of archival game footage, including some we haven't seen before.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

Today is the date of the premiere.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Just watched it ... PHENOMENAL.

Magic was great but John C Reilly playing Dr. Buss and breaking the 4th wall was the best.

Jerry West came off as really bad. Just a miserable and angry person.
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Wowowowowowowowowowowow

That was amazing, smiling the whole time

Basketball, History, Humor, Women, Dr. Buss....love this!
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I’ve only watched a few minutes so far, but it’s terrible. If they stick to this silly format they went with I’m hugely disappointed. I know it’s not fair and crazy to say anything this early in watching it, but when it’s this bad I had to say something just to vent. How could they mess it up. All they had to do reenact what actually happened, without all the talking to the camera and stylistic nonsense, and it would of been great. Ugh, at least I lived it so if I have to turn this show off I’ll still have the memories of the most fun team to ever.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
I’ve only watched a few minutes so far, but it’s terrible. If they stick to this silly format they went with I’m hugely disappointed. I know it’s not fair and crazy to say anything this early in watching it, but when it’s this bad I had to say something just to vent. How could they mess it up. All they had to do reenact what actually happened, without all the talking to the camera and stylistic nonsense, and it would of been great. Ugh, at least I lived it so if I have to turn this show off I’ll still have the memories of the most fun team to ever.

At least finish the episode. It was really damn good. That’s the director’s style and has been his specialty when mixing drama and comedy.
BotPoster24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:

I enjoy when movies break the 4th wall. So I feel the exact opposite of how you're feeling.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject:

Jerry West looks really bad in the first episode.The worst offense is of course not wanting the Lakers to draft Magic. Add this series to his list of grievances LOL.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject:

🔥

Love it so far!
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Jerry West looks really bad in the first episode.The worst offense is of course not wanting the Lakers to draft Magic. Add this series to his list of grievances LOL.

He can't blame the Laker org for this because they want nothing to do with this series.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject:

Is there a site which is streaming it? I don't have HBO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16
Jump to: