Time To Blow it Up?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Trade LeBron/AD?
Yes
72%
 72%  [ 32 ]
No
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 44

socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Time To Blow it Up?

This team is dying slowly if not dead already. No chance in winnings chips the next few years when LeBron and AD are more injury prone, then LeBron will retire. Start the rebuild while we can get some picks for anyone on the roster even if that is trading LeBron or AD. Russ has no trade value so they might as well eat his contract.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Not yet, that would be an overreaction. The Big 3/No Depth is the main issue considering the age of LBJ and fragility of AD (especially trying to play a bunch of minutes at center). The WB contract cost the depth that the Lakers need to fix the issue AROUND their stars. Moving LBJ or AD now before trying to correct that mistake is like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Going forward there has to be an intentional roster construction and intentional regular season "load management" for LBJ and AD. Construct a team sans LBJ and AD that doesn't lose consistently to the worse teams in the league - kind of a low bar to jump over, no?

I will say that moving off of both of them NEXT SUMMER should be on the table depending on if they can assemble a competitive roster for 22-23 or not. Lakers need to avoid the temptation to extend LBJ simply for the marketing having him on the team brings especially if he shows again next year that is can no longer consistently be the difference maker in terms of wins and losses.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Purge Lakerland of the Klutch virus.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Blowing it up is a understatement there should be a whole sale changes from all the FO people who are responsible for this mess and the players who don’t bring the effort needed every night for us to get wins
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject:

Sure, we have to blow it up - now!!!!

It's obvious that it's necessary to change anything

There ar two options:

Get RW in street clothes for the rest of the season(which is clearly my favorite) or fire the coach.
maybe this would ignite a fresh start with motivated stars

otherwise i don't see us winning 4 playoff games
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject:

The first step in fixing a problem is recognizing that you have a problem.

I don't know what will happen, but it's good to see that others finally realize that something is wrong with this current path.

It gives me hope that something might happen.

Might not be for a year... but if we can see it, maybe Jeanie will too.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject:

They don't have any cap space nor draft picks, its pointless to "blow it up" and rebuild. Just address the many roster holes in the offseason, then the following summer, they will have cap space (max contract slot) and draft picks to finally rebuild.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject:

Impossible to address this roster while we have 3 underperforming players making 40 million plus. Those players need to be better or go.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject:

Blowing it up doesn't make it any better than it is now. You think we'd be better off without Lebron? Look at 2013-2018. If you mean blowing up the front office, then yea, that's the change we need. Otherwise, we will be mediocre as long as the same decision makers are in place.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

No. But they need to trade Russ and try to get as many NBA level role players back.

Russ = KCP/Kuz/Trezz/2021 1st/possibly AC.

Think about that for a minute. We lost so much defensive identity and whatever we can get back for a diminished Russ will be 40 cents on the dollar at best.

That was a disastrous move and that's the first thing that needs to be fixed.

I think Vogel has lost the locker room so he's going to be gone.

Of course, it would be nice to have new ownership and a new GM, but that's not happening.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

At least trade AD while he has some value or else we're gonna be left with another Russ situation.

AD is more talented than Russ but he doesn't work hard in the off-season. Couple that with his tendency to get injured and you're going to have a really bad player in a year or so.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject:

Obviously not.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

I'd give AD a chance to show what he can do in the playoff
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject:

Bron has no market. Yes trade AD
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject:

Trade Anthony Davis
Trade Russell Westbrook
Trade Laker riftfraft (Bazemore, Ellington, Avery, so forth)
Keep Lebron James
Severely fine/reprimand Rob Pelinka for criminal incompetence
Warn Frank Vogel to get things righted or else
Force Phil Jackson to marry and advise Jeanie Buss
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
They don't have any cap space nor draft picks, its pointless to "blow it up" and rebuild. Just address the many roster holes in the offseason, then the following summer, they will have cap space (max contract slot) and draft picks to finally rebuild.

i mean turning tradeable vets into picks and accept the rebuild would take several years before being competitive again.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
No. But they need to trade Russ and try to get as many NBA level role players back.

Think about that for a minute. We lost so much defensive identity and whatever we can get back for a diminished Russ will be 40 cents on the dollar at best.

Of course, it would be nice to have new ownership and a new GM, but that's not happening.

And people would trust a FO that did all of that to rebuild? Blow it up after next season but if the FO doesn’t change, we need to pray for that next pandemic to win again.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And people would trust a FO that did all of that to rebuild? Blow it up after next season but if the FO doesn’t change, we need to pray for that next pandemic to win again.

I'm not a fan of our FO right now. But they did it right for 2020. Last year, I think we could have won it all if we had better health.

This year, a F- in terms of team construction.

I would say under ordinary circumstances, next season would be the final test for Rob but of course it won't be that way.

We were on the right track and for whatever reason, this FO blew up everything to get Russ and went away from everything that worked well for this team.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

There is a lot of criticism of Klutch and the failed roster but as great as the 2020 team was, it was not built for long term success.

The players from the playoffs that year:
LeBron - has declined from 2020
Anthony Davis - injury prone and has declined from 2020
KCP - I thought he was great but he didn’t do well in 2021 playoffs and was criticized as a Klutch pick (mostly replaced by Monk)
Kyle Kuzma - didn’t do well in 2021 playoffs
Danny Green - old, just a role player
Alex Caruso - role player (mostly replaced by Reaves)
Rajon Rondo - old, came back this year
Markieff Morris - old
Dwight Howard - old, came back this year
Javale McGee - still productive
JR Smith - finished
Dion Waiters - finished
Jared Dudley - finished
Quinn Cook - finished
THT - still here

I thought the Westbrook trade was bad when it happened because I didn’t see how he fit but with LeBron and Davis not being able to attack the basket the way they did in 2020 and with Davis’ injuries and outside shot completely disappearing, I don’t think they would be dominating with running that roster back year after year. If LeBron and AD were able to play like they did in 2020, I think the roster as it is would seem great. But since they aren’t, the roster and the play calling is really getting exposed.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We were on the right track and for whatever reason, this FO blew up everything to get Russ and went away from everything that worked well for this team.

I actually liked the thought process of last season. 2019-20 team wasn’t sustainable imo.

They were 24-6 or whatever it was. The issue was once the injuries hit, they couldn’t hold on. A combination of Harrell/Schroder having issues adjusting and probably exhausted players in Kuzma, KCP and AC from the previous season and insanely quick turnaround.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

Not necessarily blow it up, but go in a different direction. They need more emphasis on culture and system, as opposed to relying on mega stars to come here all the time. (bleep) might have worked in the past, but it's a different era and all the good teams are arming through the draft (Grizz, Cavs, Warriors, etc). That's the primary difference between orgs like the Warriors/Grizz/Jazz and the Lakers. No way we land a Giannis/Luka/Zion type without the draft. It goes without saying they desperately need young talent, although Reaves is a good start.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject:

LeBron is old.

Sure what he's doing this season is incredible for his age... but how much longer do some of you think it will be sustainable?

It's like making long term plans based on someone who has a terminal illness.

Sure, if LBJ is 27, I get how some of you would want to prioritize him based on his extraordinary talent... but every year that goes by, his ability to singlehandledly take a team on his back diminishes.

He has value to an already good team who just needs that final piece.

He doesn't have value to an unbalanced team with a second star who can't stay healthy.

I will admit even this year... we could turn things around if AD was healthy.

LBJ, AD, and Russ could catch fire and anything can happen.

But the odds will only get lower and lower over time and so will their value.

It's sheer stubbornness to double down and pray this gets better at this point.

Again, I get LBJ stans protecting their hero... but I don't get Lakers fans wanting to continue this experiment with a 37, 38, 39 year old LBJ.

I'm sure next season he'll be the best 38 year old to ever play this sport... but do you really want that to be the cornerstone of your team?

He won't take a back seat to management so it's just not worth it anymore.

It's not about his skills... if he would allow another GM to rebuild... he could be a very valuable piece... but as a control freak who has a say in every aspect of the team... it's no longer worth it.

We need a fresh start.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

Lakers at the least will want LBJ when he breaks KAJ's record. Thereafter, both sides can part. I just hope they don't extend him past 2024 as the max. It's a shame the 2023 FA class besides Jokic is so terrible.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject:

It's too early since we won't be able to accumulate assets through the draft. We need to wait until ADs contract is up atleast

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Bron has no market. Yes trade AD

oh he has plenty of value. He just scored 50+ points, and he can fill up an arena. Trade him to a team in a win-now mode and the Lakers can get future assets. The question is does LBJ want to be traded, because more and more it seems like his goal is to win the all-time scoring record, and playing with his son. If his goal was to win a championship, he would be demanding a trade by now.

AD, I would wait. His trade value is low, need to see him play next season and remind people of what he is capable of.

Last edited by paymonM on Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: