LAKERS -at- PELICANS - 3-27-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- PELICANS - 3-27-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Second Half Choke... The Lakers would push out to a 23-point lead in the first half. But if you know anything about this team, it’s that we’re always open for business.

And the Pelicans gave us the business in the second half.

They lit into the Lakers for 41 points in the third quarter to take back momentum.

The Lakers would roll out some spacing-challenged lineups in the fourth quarter and the expected results followed. They scored just 14 points, shot just 1-11 from three in the fourth and with that, L.A. lost the season series to the Pelicans.

“Time’s running out on us,” Vogel said of the 116-108 loss. “We came out with the proper urgency in this game, but weren’t able to close it.”

LeBron -- -- The long break got him a running start into this one as he came out with energy in his first shift. A flurry of scores out of the gates, including a couple of threes and some aggression in transition for scores to get the Lakers off to a good start. He also rejected a man in transition as well as got out high to pressure a ball handler on D. He had 11 points in the first quarter. Early in the second quarter, he crashed the glass and stepped on a foot, turning his ankle and going down. He wasn’t jumping and landing, so hopefully just a mild twist. In the second quarter, that three shooting from the left wing was on point. He hit multiple threes (four in the second quarter) that staggered the Pelicans. He’d have 14 in the second quarter, his one other score a layup off a bounce pass on an ATO from Monk. Second half, I felt bad for him on some of these rosters. You’d see THT’s defender sitting in LeBron’s lap. Ideally we have double gaps in the offense for him to run through. We give him nothing when you got Dwight/Russ/THT out there. He’d pass 37K in points in this one. Amazing he has been able to adjust his game to get 21 points from behind the arc with our awful lineups. Some of our offensive plays, though, would go belly up and we end up with the ball in his hands, no room, the clock low and him having to try to create something -- and we’d get that out of a timeout. Sigh. On his ankle after the game: “It’s horrible right now and we’re about to get on the plane.” The Stats: He scored 39 points on 14-27 shooting (7-13 from three, 4-6 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 5 assists, 1 block, 4 turnovers and 1 foul in 42 minutes. He was a -9.

Westbrook -- -- He sank a couple of threes from the left side in the first half. Those were kickouts from Reaves and Monk, the kind of threes we want him taking (not the pull-ups, especially in early offense). These came within the flow. He attacked multiple times in transition for layups, including a nice finish off a Euro-step and another finger roll on a rebound he pushed out with speed. He had 12 points (5-7 shooting), 3 assists and 3 turnovers in the half (the turnovers seemed like instant points the other way as he attacked crowds or in transition and the transition D was in trouble). Second half, we saw more of those pull-ups in early offense, which plays into the hand of the opponent and are sometimes as good as a turnover. He’d at least keep away from the turnovers in the second half, but the game is just so easy for teams with him on the floor. Even more so when LeBron is off it. He had the team low -18. He had a great late effort on the offensive glass, rebounding twice in a crowd and the second one led a big Monk three with 2 minutes to go. Love to see more of that from him. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 8-15 shooting (2-5 from three) to go with 7 boards (3 offensive), 6 assists, 1 steal, 3 turnvoers and 2 fouls in 32 minutes. He was a -18.

Reaves -- -- Oof. Great job moving the ball and finding teammates early. That kept the pressure on and the tempo going in the halfcourt. He attacked and hit Dwight for a layup. He kicked to Russ with a lefty feed to the corner for the open three. He had 4 assists in his that first shift along with 4 boards to lead the team. His only shift of the first half. Ingram would occasionally get a switch with him and go to the rim to outsize him. Tough for Reaves to defend that. Second half, again, not a lot of minutes for Reaves. He’d continue grabbing boards and dishing assists. But late in the game, we went back to him for a key stop…unfortunately, he had Ingram and that was a bucket. Not a good matchup and you could see that coming all game and we let them bullseye us on a key defensive stand. Both shots from Reaves in this game were trying to beat the shotclock. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go 6 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was a -16.

Howard -- -- He got the start again after his big game in the last one. He led the team with a +20 in the first half. He was grabbing boards and scoring off setups from teammates. Defensively, some tricky moments letting the big get behind him as he tried to pressure the ballhandler on the screen-rolls. That’s tough with the Pelicans’ midrange shooters. In the second half, we tried to send some weakside help, but the Pelicans moved the ball really well to exploit that. In key moments, we got burned here. Dwight just can’t make up the distance like an AD in those situations and the Pelicans picked up apart.. Dwight was a -22 in the second half. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-5 shooting (2-2 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 33 minutes. He was a -2.

Gabriel -- -- He got the start to match up with Ingram. He’d share that duty with Stanley, who tag in for him. Occasionally, we’d have Russ and Reaves matching up, as well. Down the stretch, however, it was Russ and Reaves. That led to some key scores. A couple good moments cutting off Russ’s drive to get open on that baseline for scores. He’d miss all three of his FTs. Painful on the road. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-3 shooting (0-3 from three) to go with 2 boards, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls in 18 minutes. He was a +5.

Monk -- -- Really well-rounded offensive first half from Monk. He was getting paint touches for scores or kicking out to teammates like Russ or LeBron for threes. We had a couple set plays where we used him as the trigger man, one on a bounce pass to LeBron down the lane, the other a no-look, behind-the-back to Gabriel for a dunk. He led the team with a +18 in his 14 minutes in the first half. In the second half, he was a -11. A lot of two-man action with him as the ballhandler in the second half. That led to some great drives by Monk. He’d get some good ones for the team in the fourth. He’d also hit a big three with under 2 minutes left to cut it to 3. The Lakers just could not get any stops. And there’s a reason why you saw Monk coming over to try to help get a stop on Valanciunas late in the game and instead give up an easy layup. That’s how you want to structure an offensive set if you are an opponent. The Stats: He scored 23 points on 9-17 shooting (2-8 from three, 3-3 from the line) to go with 6 assists, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 29 minutes. He was a +7.

Johnson -- -- I’m always going to highlight the weakside flares and pin-in screens he sets when we read those with passes. He set up LeBron for a three by doing that on the weakside on one in the first half. That’s how you turn yourself into a threat if you aren’t a respected perimeter player. Which is why I think you can play him more offensively even when things are a bit bogged down instead of defaulting to a Melo or someone one is only effective on one-side of the floor. That said, we didn’t get the quick-attacks on the catch from Stanley in this game. No north and south to it, a lot of east and west. He’s got to keep his foot on the gas with that aggression. He didn’t get a shot up or have an assist. The Stats: He didn’t score or shoot, had 1 board, 1 steal and 3 fouls in 19 minutes. He was a -11.

Anthony -- -- First, I like that we kept the minutes low. Second, if Melo is not hitting, you better keep them low. He went 1-4 from three and missed a big corner three in transition in the final few minutes. We didn’t do a good job of getting him activated in the post. The Pelicans would send help often and it just bogged down the offense and became a negative factor rather than a positive one. Got to at least get scoring from Melo. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-4 shooting from three to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a -6.

Horton-Tucker -- -- I don’t know how we can expect LeBron to try to work with you’ve got Russ, THT and Howard out there early in the fourth. That’s a ridiculous lineup. It doesn’t do THT or Russ any favors either. You can’t have more than one non-shooter around them. I think we’re hoping THT gives you some two-way minutes with his size on D. Unless he hits threes, it won’t work. He took and missed a huge three down 2 with 3 minutes to go. Predictable outcome. Small thing, I wish THT did a better job on the glass in this one. With Reaves in there, you at least get that from him. We got outrebounded by 5 on the offensive glass. I think you saw LeBron a couple of times telling his guards to crack back on the glass. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-4 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 assist and 1 foul in 21 minutes. He was a +6.

Augustin -- -- Instant spark off the bench in the first half. He got on balance catches and knocked down a couple of threes. He also hit LeBron for another three on a kickout. And knocked a pass loose to help ignite a break. That was a +8 shift in 7 minutes and helped take away some Pelican’s momentum in that second quarter. Nothing in the second half in his minutes. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-3 shooting from three to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 12 minutes. He was a +4.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Can you pick one moment in the second half? You give up 41 points in the third and score just 14 in the fourth. There is no key moment.

Key Substitution: Really, just a lot of awful fourth quarter lineups. I don’t know how you expect to score when you are running a trio of Dwight/Russ/THT out there. This was still a ball game heading into the fourth. Prior to the season starting, we were worried about how you could play Russ/THT together with their lack of shooting. Now add Dwight in the mix here and LeBron is going to be ganged up on with guys sitting in his lap. So, the Lakers would score just 14 points in the fourth quarter. The trouble with these lineups is there is no easy answer on this roster with AD/Nunn out. You are either going to be exposed on D or exposed on O. Pick your poison.

Key Stats: Lakers went 1-11 from three in the fourth quarter.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB

Lakers had 3 days rest with lebron having a week off

Pelicans on 2nd game of b2b

Lakers had 20 pt lead at the half

Lakers choke in embarrassing fashion like most of the season

Lol this team is going nowhere. Just miss the play-in and be done with this season.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Get that 10th seed Spurs! Dont you disappoint me now!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Thoughts:

This season’s clown Lakers would struggle with the St. Peter’s Peacocks.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Everyone in the game thread knew the outcome as soon as the momentum turned. They just didn't want to say it.

Once the lead is blown, that's the game folks.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

This team has issues both roster wise, lineup wise, physically (age / keeping healthy), and mentally. They are what they are this year. Hoping for a miracle off-season.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks to Will Smith, we are only trending number 7 on twitter
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

We can’t play THT + WB together, let alone dwight +them. Since WB can be useful as a playmaker, THT shouldn’t play. We struggle too much on offense with him on the court. Russ has been trending in the right direction in the games THT didn’t play, and it is not a coincidence
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Great write-up as always.

Good start, bad outcome. Just like all season. No lead is safe.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject:

Is the shame of missing the play-in a better motivator for real change, or is it getting in and having their @** handed to them the better motivator. That’s the only question left worth asking at this point.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject:

Jesus Christ, I hate this season so much.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB !!!

When you can't beat the bad teams, the fat lady already
sang and left.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject:

I don’t know how u got the stomach to do these reviews mod, much appreciated. One thing to have a 34 win season with the squad we got after Shaq but with this ‘stars’, FOH
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject:

I just don't emotionally invest in these games until AD is back. I feel we're at such a disadvantage with the Westbrook trade, that when you take out AD and now you have to play the guys we are and old Lebron (who always has some injury going on) it's just not a package you can put together.

We were up 20 at half and my son says game's over dad. I'm like, not with this year's Lakers, son. Boy, was a I right.

Thanks DB. This is a tough season to cover. However, I do think we need AD to have any sort of chance at being a balanced team. Both the Pels and Spurs have easier schedules and have been playing better basketball than us recently. Not looking good for the play in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB,
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject:

This team defies all logic. It was a one possession game and with a couple minutes of inspired play, it’s suddenly a 20 point blowout and seemingly heading toward 24 minutes of garbage time.

It’s just inexplicable that they can still find ways to lose when they’re blowing teams out and swishing 30 foot threes like nothing.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbob92TNpPZ/
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I just don't emotionally invest in these games until AD is back. I feel we're at such a disadvantage with the Westbrook trade, that when you take out AD and now you have to play the guys we are and old Lebron (who always has some injury going on) it's just not a package you can put together.

We were up 20 at half and my son says game's over dad. I'm like, not with this year's Lakers, son. Boy, was a I right.

Thanks DB. This is a tough season to cover. However, I do think we need AD to have any sort of chance at being a balanced team. Both the Pels and Spurs have easier schedules and have been playing better basketball than us recently. Not looking good for the play in.
You are “On Point!”

Your son was right about the game being over, he just got the wrong team that was going to win

“Old Lebron” is still Uber talented, but doesn’t have the ability to carry/inspire this team to victories (it’s not realistic for a 37/38 years old to do this!!).

With Le WestBrick is an Uber talented player on his last legs that can’t be depended on to effectively lead this team to victories, Lebron has to work even harder

With Dwight being regularly beaten by second tier centers and teams targeting Melo on offense, our veterans (supposedly/hopefully with a higher basketball IQ than their younger counterparts) are regularly being taken advantaged of while making them (along with Bazemore, Ariza, Ellington) eligible to apply for AARP benefits

Vogel is doing the right thing to limit the MPGs of his AARP bench while relying on the young players
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: