OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject:

Via B/R’s Fischer:

Quote:
The whispers have been quiet on who could serve as Los Angeles' next play-caller. Previous preferred candidates such as Tyronn Lue and Jason Kidd have found success with the Clippers and Mavericks, respectively, and the only word in coaching circles so far is the Lakers will likely prioritize finding an experienced coach rather than a first-timer for the job. That calculus would seem to align with Los Angeles' never-ending title quest around James.

Pelinka's circumstances are far cloudier than Vogel's. A franchise so rooted in its history, with a management focused on upholding a familial feel, deeply values its connection with the man who long represented Kobe Bryant. Former players, not just Magic Johnson, and other Lakers power brokers such as Kurt and Linda Rambis have always held prominent voices in Los Angeles' decision making. Pelinka is said to still have strong support from those Lakers figures.

“ His relationship with Kurt and Linda and Jeanie, it is very much a mom and pop shop," one assistant general manager told B/R.

There has been growing speculation about one name to replace Pelinka as Lakers general manager: Omar Wilkes, the current head of basketball operations for Paul's agency, Klutch Sports. Wilkes has been described as somewhat of a compromise between that ironclad Lakers family and Klutch's operation. His father, Jamaal Wilkes, played eight seasons with the franchise and won three championships alongside Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Jordan Wilkes, Omar's younger brother, spent six years in the Lakers' front office before joining the Hornets as a scout in 2019.

However, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation strongly denied Wilkes' candidacy to replace Pelinka, citing his hands-on role within Klutch's collegiate recruiting efforts. To be clear, the Lakers have not contacted him for any position. Wilkes has already landed an impressive client list starring Trae Young and Anthony Edwards, and has long been courting talented Duke forward Paolo Banchero, widely considered a top-three prospect in the 2022 NBA Draft.

Perhaps there's an alternative avenue in Los Angeles, where the franchise retains Pelinka under his current title of vice president of basketball operations and general manager, and hires another executive as president, similar to how Magic Johnson originally held the president position alongside Pelinka. That arrangement has become increasingly common in NBA front offices, like how Philadelphia anointed Daryl Morey atop the Sixers' front office, previously helmed by general manager Elton Brand. Or how Danny Ainge was named Utah Jazz CEO despite having Justin Zanik operating as general manager. Along those lines, league sources continue mentioning the possibility Minnesota brings in a president above interim general manager Sachin Gupta.

Quote:
While Pelinka's acquisition of Anthony Davis certainly helped power the Lakers to the 2020 NBA championship, his tenure leading Los Angeles has been checkered with costly decision-making. When the Lakers first acquired Davis, Pelinka's front office almost forfeited valuable cap room for a third max contract by not waiting to acquire Davis from the Pelicans ahead of the new league calendar year. The Lakers ultimately had to spend additional draft capital and young prospects to make it a larger three-team deal with the Wizards, all for an attempt to then sign Kawhi Leonard.

At the 2021 trade deadline, the Lakers retreated from talks with Toronto to acquire Kyle Lowry, both in reticence to the knowledge Lowry sought the exorbitant three-year deal he ultimately secured in free agency, and Los Angeles' resistance to part with Talen Horton-Tucker, sources told B/R. Flash forward to this year's trade deadline, and the Lakers were once again in serious talks that nearly sent Horton-Tucker to those same Raptors.

Pelinka's about-face from negotiations with Sacramento before the 2021 NBA Draft—which would have landed Buddy Hield—to instead acquire Russell Westbrook at a far richer price, has all been well-documented. Pelinka clearly acquiesced to James' and Davis' desire for Westbrook, yet the Lakers' stunned the Kings with their sudden change of tune. Sacramento staffers were largely made aware of the Wizards trade when the deal framework was reported publicly, sources said, rather than being informed by Lakers brass. Several rival front offices have indicated Pelinka has lacked when it comes to working with opposing teams.

Quote:
”He wasn't returning some teams calls at [this year's] deadline," one general manager told B/R.

"He was an (bleep) as an agent," said another assistant general manager. "He had the most powerful players and if he wanted the player moved, he would've eviscerated you as a staff to get whatever he wanted. You can't do that to people, and then expect them to work with you when you join their side."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10028406-intel-on-which-lakers-vips-will-remain-in-la-past-this-season

And that last bit is the reason he needs to go. He has no rapport and respect from his peers. So when we’re in a position where we absolutely need good faith from our trading counterparts, all they want to do is take Rob for a ride over a barrel.

Dude needs to go….

https://giphy.com/gifs/gtfo-leave-entourage-9Rp27Gpwjx1n2
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Hard_Butter wrote:
pokoy wrote:
This isn’t “the Lakers” vs Klutch. This is Jeannie Buss and her underwhelming “brain trust” vs Klutch.

Jerry West is 1000x the Laker that any of that front office are, and they just took his season tickets away. Jeannie and her minions can all leave for all I care and let someone who can compete with the other billionaire owners take over.

....or better yet, imagine this team being run by Pat Riley? He was the one guy to go tell Bron and his cohorts to f off. Pat was one of ours. Laker player, Lakers HC, and to this day one of the best executives. The counter is that Pat bolted as soon as Magic's HIV retirement and opted for greener pastures in NY. He left us. But to your point, if Jeanie (and to a lesser extent Jerry) really wanted to leave this franchise in good/familiar hands......West and/or Riley would've been choice.

The bolded isn’t true. Riley left after the 90 season and Dunleavy was the Coach of the 90/91 team that lost to the Bulls in the finals. That summer is when the HIV news broke. Riley did begin coaching the Knicks in 91.

It comes down to who you believe. Riley conveniently decided not to coach anymore after complaints about him being too hard on the team cost them the ‘89 championship against the Pistons when B. Scott got injured in practice, followed by Magic.

Why shouldn’t I believe Riley just quit and then went on to coach in NY? Because:
1) When Magic told media he wanted to be traded to Detroit, Buss immediately fired Westhead early in the year after a championship season, and said he planned to do it all along.
2) Keith Erickson was Chick Hearn’s sidekick for several years, but when Stu Lantz came around, suddenly Erickson decided the better career move was to quit and become president of the Magic Johnson fan club. He’s never been heard from publicly since then.

Did Riley quit? Feel free to believe it. I don’t.

Last edited by lakersboy on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Lakers need to step into the new century. They are the bright star of the NBA but act like they are operating out of old town highway gas station. Lakers should have a state of the art medical staff, analytics department, and brain trust. Instead we have the great Rambis pulling strings, players dabbling in GMing, and an owner who doesn't seem to have a clear direction. We have Lebron and I feel like we are in the same situation we were in the year or two BEFORE we got Lebron.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject:

It would be a solid tenure even if we move on. 1 ring in what 5 years? Solid.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

For me on some of the Pelinka moves, I'm not as down on him because I can at least understand the thinking behind some of the big moves

Last year - hey I can get to former Six men to add to the roster, seemed reasonable, but it didn't pan out

This year- hey can get an all star who can help Bron with on ball duties allowing him to rest more all season and have him fresh for playoffs....obviously didn't work out

I hope it's become clearer that chemistry matters, not just names, our coach is pretty one dimensional so if you keep him you have to build a roster that fits him and not expect him to adapt his coaching to the roster, Bron needs to have the ball, so if we are rolling with Bron prioritize the spot up shooting and D, AD is super injury prone, so if you are going to play him heavy minutes, need to move him back to the 4 and get an athletic rim protector again...
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:

I guess... but it didn't have to cost them everything. It's like that thanos meme.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
We have Lebron and I feel like we are in the same situation we were in the year or two BEFORE we got Lebron.

A potential new GM would open the cupboard and see that it’s bare. That’s not what Pelinka inherited. The draft picks were maturing but nobody had patience to wait for their bodies to get stronger and their games to grow. Thomas Bryant, Randle, Zubac, Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, were assets to be used or who with smart maneuvering, could bring in additional worthwhile assets.

Before Lebron, the Lakers had all their draft picks in hand. The hot new star young players we’re seeing all around the league are potentially guys who the Lakers could have had a chance at, but they/Lebron have decided draft picks don’t matter.

When Lebron arrived, the team was on the rise. Now it’s clearly declining.

The next GM won’t have much to do at draft time for years to come except eat peanut butter sandwiches.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I was looking at the Warriors and wondering how they managed their assets from their rebuild. In 3 years, they got: Steph 7th pick in 2009, Klay 11th in 2011, and Draymond 35th in 2012. In that 2012 draft, the Warriors had 4 picks and they took Harrison Barnes at 7, Festus Ezeli at 30 and then Draymond. So they obviously picked pretty well, especially since they didn't have the top picks.

GSW turned that group into 5 finals and 3 chips. They are second in the West this year. They have the highest payroll in the league. They have 6 FRPs from 2022 to 2028

Lakers picked pretty well when they were in rebuild mode. In 3 years, they got: Julius 7th in 2014, DLo 2nd and Nance 27th in 2015, BI 2nd and Zubac 32nd in 2016, Lonzo 2nd and Kuz 27th in 2017.

Lakers turned that group (via trades) into 1 chip. They are 9th in the West this year. They have the 6th highest payroll. They have 5 FRPs from 2022 to 2028. Lakers still have a few more years to catch up if we give each the same amount of time.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject:

^Solid observation, but there are unique factors that impacted their titles and our title.

-The cap spike that led to KD
-The COVID spike that led to a 4 month in-season layoff before the bubble playoffs

That being said, they made it to 2 consecutive NBA Finals and won one pre-KD. Meanwhile, other than the bubble, our team has been a bust so far and it doesn’t appear like we can correct our course without our FO facing some major recourse.

But as of right now, one thing is certain…as an agent turned GM, Myers running circles on Rob. One example of asset management is hardcapping themselves by S&T’ing KD for DLo, instead of losing him for nothing. They were playing with house money (due to the cap spike) and found a way to cash in.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^Solid observation, but there are unique factors that impacted their titles and our title.

-The cap spike that led to KD
-The COVID spike that led to a 4 month in-season layoff before the bubble playoffs

That being said, they made it to 2 consecutive NBA Finals and won one pre-KD. Meanwhile, other than the bubble, our team has been a bust so far and it doesn’t appear like we can correct our course without our FO facing some major recourse.

But as of right now, one thing is certain…as an agent turned GM, Myers running circles on Rob. One example of asset management is hardcapping themselves by S&T’ing KD for DLo, instead of losing him for nothing. They were playing with house money (due to the cap spike) and found a way to cash in.

Yep. I think Mitch and Jim tried but couldn't get anyone good, so they (probably Jim) panicked because of that dumb deadline to make the WCF and blew the extra cap space on some complementary players.

As you've noted Pelinka seems to have made several seemingly minor cap mistakes that were costly in aggregate not to mention his careless use of draft picks, pissing off other trade partners (well except for WAS and NO), and giving up good players for nothing. Makes me wonder if he really has a plan or understanding of how to build a roster.

The other big difference between GSW and the Lakers is the stability of the FO. Myers has been GM since 2012. Lakers had Mitch, Mitch and Jim, Magic and Pelinka, and just Pelinka. With each change there was a reset, which meant undoing what the predecessor had done.

Now we may be on the verge of getting another GM. Don't even want to think who that might be.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject:

The current FO is playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess. Mitch and Jim didn't throw away the Laker assets like candy. That's the one thing that makes me miss them. Even the MozDeng signings are starting to pale in comparison to the damage Pelinka has done. They got rid of Zu for literally no reason. They let Brook walk when he was willing to stay here for peanuts. It's been nothing but mistake after mistake.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
For me on some of the Pelinka moves, I'm not as down on him because I can at least understand the thinking behind some of the big moves

Last year - hey I can get to former Six men to add to the roster, seemed reasonable, but it didn't pan out

This year- hey can get an all star who can help Bron with on ball duties allowing him to rest more all season and have him fresh for playoffs....obviously didn't work out

I hope it's become clearer that chemistry matters, not just names, our coach is pretty one dimensional so if you keep him you have to build a roster that fits him and not expect him to adapt his coaching to the roster, Bron needs to have the ball, so if we are rolling with Bron prioritize the spot up shooting and D, AD is super injury prone, so if you are going to play him heavy minutes, need to move him back to the 4 and get an athletic rim protector again...

His moves have been a disaster.

I understand that there was a reason behind these moves. Heck, GM always have a reason.

But when they failed twice with Leborn, you need to get fired.

No excuses.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
av3773 wrote:

His moves have been a disaster.

I understand that there was a reason behind these moves. Heck, GM always have a reason.

But when they failed twice with Leborn, you need to get fired.

No excuses.

I keep reading that last year we would have been champs if not for injury. So arent we b2b champs if you take injury out of the equation.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject:

It's clear that Rob needs help. After considering it, maybe I've been too hard on him. No one really knows who is making decisions in this Lakers organization. Lebron, Klutch, Rambis, there is so much confusion and chaos from a fans perspective that it's no wonder things are the way they are. I look at this roster, and there is so many thing wrong with it, and it's things that even casual fans can recognize. It makes me wonder how such mistakes were allowed to be made by professionals that are paid millions of dollars to not make such amateur moves.

And then there's the impact of injuries. What if Nunn and AD would have been healthy. What if there was a formula in place that made the Westbrook pickup actually make sense, given the health of Nunn and especially AD. We will never know. We do know that Jeanie has mentioned more than once that this Lakers team cannot be judged unless all the key players are healthy.

Regardless, Rob needs someone to help him rebuild this Lakers roster into what it was for the previous two seasons. Who that person is, I don't know. Are we far? No. Lebron can still produce. Monk, ,Nunn and Reaves are young and show great potential. THT was supposed to have turned a corner. And maybe, just maybe, we can get that 2020 Anthony Davis back. Who knows.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:

And all it took was a global pandemic. I give Pelinka credit for nothing.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject:

I haven't been a Rob basher but I look at the players on the court now and wow, it's disastrous. The talent eroded incredibly fast from the championship team. Can't really excuse this.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

Rob should just get the opposite of what Lebrons wants on the roster. We’d probably have a really good team
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Rob should just get the opposite of what Lebrons wants on the roster. We’d probably have a really good team

Crazy this is probably one of worst Lebron roster since his rookie year. Track history is weak.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject:

Since everybody’s thread catching smoke right now, time to char this thread a bit…

Live look at Rob consuming the CBA…

https://tenor.com/qART.gif
#cal-cue-lulz

Dude, it’s too late to get familiar. But maybe you wanna grab that steak knife out Erv’s back and use it. There’s more efficient ways at cutting cap for 2023.

Robbie’s in shambles after trading his manna this offseason.

No wonder he targeted Kobe…dude continues to eat off his good name.

And not a season after losing Kobe, he trades for some Schnitzel. But you’ll never reach those highs again, cause Kobe was rare. Dude’s getting desperate…looking strung out off of edibles during these blowouts.

https://i.redd.it/y9tu0x1g6hn81.png

Makes you wonder why Magic was so upset at dude. Maybe he made a pass at Cookie.

Needless to say, the gravy train should be closed to you this offseason. We need someone else to feed our cap appetite…amirite?

Anyways, its a 2 drink minimum. Don’t forget to tip Chaz on your way out…and I’m here all offseason’n.

Damn, I must be hangry…#GotBeef
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject:

i like rob. hope he stays.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

What specifically do you like about him?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Hes aggressive. Obviously even the best in the world don't know it all, IMHO he's learned an incredible lesson that can only be learned by failing.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Hes aggressive. Obviously even the best in the world don't know it all, IMHO he's learned an incredible lesson that can only be learned by failing.

Aggressive? Yes aggressive at throwing away picks and players for nothing.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Aggressive? Yes aggressive at throwing away picks and players for nothing.

I understand.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject:

This clown ex agent should be fired 1st in offseason
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 183 of 243
Jump to: