What will prevent next season from being as bad as this one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Nothing. It'll be just as bad or worse. Book it.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

Yup. Lakers are stuck with WB and that means we are going to suck next year again.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, AD will have to play and the team will have to hope Bron can keep rolling. That's the only hope.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject:

A new direction and vision. People that know what they are doing in the FO. I personally want to move on from the Bron project and properly rebuild.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject:

DShotMaker1824 wrote:
Actually having draft picks

Why? So Lakers fans can start mistreating, underrating, overjudging and talking about how horrible they are and how they need to be traded when they aren't an all-star that saves our team in year one?
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:42 am    Post subject:

get a better GM and Coach to begin with
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject:

Depth, young talent, draft picks... just model the Grizzles, Celtics or even the Clippers. Those teams survived big injuries due to those 3 variables.

That being said, I fully expect them to pursue a guy like Beal in some way. He's obviously going to fix everything!

They'll never learn.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject:

We will atleast have the Pelicans pick next season
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Depth, young talent, draft picks... just model the Grizzles, Celtics or even the Clippers. Those teams survived big injuries due to those 3 variables.

That being said, I fully expect them to pursue a guy like Beal in some way. He's obviously going to fix everything!

They'll never learn.

The funny thing about this is that Mitch and Jim seemingly went through the same failures with trying to get big names before finally rebuilding like normal teams. The “this is gonna be fun team” that resembled this years team stands out the most. Bunch of past prime big names, and injured big man and a coach that didn’t fit the roster. Only difference was the psychopath competitor named Kobe Bryant that willed us into the playoffs practically on his own.

The rest is history but Mitch and Jim did finally start building through the draft. They just couldn’t get ANYONE to come as a free agent. The relationship with Magic and Klutch changed that but at the cost of reverting back where we were in that horrible 2013 year. If you remember around that time we also hadn’t had a first round pick in 7 years!

We got #17 so a very convincing argument could be made that it was all worth it and I find myself hesitantly leaning in that direction. Hopefully we can get out of this mess whenever we cycle back to building through the draft mode. I can only hope that there will teams that want out of horrible contracts and will be as willing to part with 1sts as we have been the last few years. I remember we took in J Lin from Houston along a first just so Houston could go after someone. Sad, but I humbly hope to be the NBAs dumping ground for draft picks again.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject:

The only thing that could prevent it: decent ownership

But next year we'll probably have

- retread coach (Lakers connections!!!!!)
- Kurt Rambis making decisions
- Money saving
- Washed up vets
- Trading assets for nothing
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

Information is king. The FO has a lot of that in regard to where we are and what we need
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

All about patience and being smart, which the Lakers have not done. So here is my wish list for the offseason:

- New GM. I personally doubt this happens but Rob is just wrong for the job. The team needs someone that will say NO and have the power to do that.

- New coach. Don't shoot for big name retread. Do not bring back a Lakers retread either. Rambis and Shaw both failed as coaches. The coach has to have a plan for Westbrook assuming they cannot trade him.

- Don't go cheap on the assistant coaches. Let the coach pick their staff.

- Remove Rambis from basketball decisions. Not sure why that has to be mentioned but it does.

- Test the market for Westbrook. This is all about fit, not about Russ entirely. Don't take any trade just the right trade. If they can break his deal into separate deals maybe they can move them for workable pieces.

- Keep the young guys. Gabriel, Johnson, Monk, Reaves. Monk maybe tough but he is still a wildcard player so maybe they can.

- Build a balanced roster. Enough of this midget ball. I am fine with AD playing more center but you need some size not a bunch of 6'4" and smaller guards.

- Resolve THT - He isn't as bad as he has looked. However he isn't a great fit with Lebron and WB he is really similar not as good. He is basically a less athletic young Lebron, but where Lebron would blow past and dunk on the other team, THT doesn't have that burst. He is a solid passer but his outside shot (like Russ) is causing teams to dare him to shoot. I would probably trade him but only for value.

- Rebuild the training staff. It seems they have gone cheap on the training staff. Whomever is handling Nunn needs to be fired.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject:

No more “name” players who actually shouldn’t be in the league.

Players on the floor should be capable of playing in the NBA.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
No more “name” players who actually shouldn’t be in the league.

Players on the floor should be capable of playing in the NBA.

So you're telling me they shouldn't sign Millsap and Aldridge ?

Not even in the slightest?

They are only 36 and 37 years old man. That's still young.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

- Money saving
- Washed up vets

This.

Sadly, I am fairly confident this team will likely continue on the path it has been for the last decade, namely missing the playoffs 70% of the time. Bad contracts, no assets, no draft picks, no FO leadership, no ownership vision.

There is no quick fix.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

Lineup the FO to give ‘em Will’s Hancock treatment.

Then make their ass walk the dotted line to the exits!

https://tenor.com/9GnK.gif
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

- Money saving
- Washed up vets

exactly, changes required at the ownership level, until then it'll be the same thing again. Jeannie Buss will use LeBron and Klutch as scapegoat this season, what will be her excuse next year? you can also add constant leaks from Jeannie's mouthpieces during the season to your list.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

I don't agree with that. They can't be worse.

They need to regroup and relook at the roster, coaching and each player look in the mirror at what they can bring to the table next season that they didn't this season:

1) Health is key, first and foremost. Got to keep the guys healthy.

2) Having better productive players would help. You have to admit, Bazemore, Ellington, Rondo (when he was here), Jordan (when he was here), Ariza, Bradley (for the most part), Melo (defensively for sure), Nunn (never played a single game), THT (was crap all season) etc., were all crap this season. That is 7+ players on the roster that contributed little, with the exception of Melo. That's half the roster.
Need to see all these guys move on.
Keep Monk, if you can, and Reaves.

3) Coaching change - As much as Vogel gets credit for the 2020 title, I still think a lot of it was luck, health, timing, and the roster had great chemistry. Also, the desire to win it for Kobe. Vogel got a lot of credit for that season, but in reality it was the players as well.
We need a coaching change. The players obviously have tuned Vogel out. His staff is weak with Fizdale, Handy and Penberthy. Need new blood.
I like the idea of Quinn Snyder but HATE the idea of Doc River (if rumors are true). We need a coach that can light a fire at both ends of the court.
This team was terrible at the defensive end, just terrible.

4) Roster changes - Not sure the Lakers can do much unless they trade one or more of Lebron, Russ or AD. I am convinced that all three guys, if they have to come back, can play well together. I think Russ played decent in the last month but I still want him and his, soon to be, $47 mill salary gone. Any takers? Likely not. Davis frustrates me game after game. He falls constantly and looks like a walking injury. Would love to see a healthy player come in to replace him. A top 75 player? Top 10 player in the league? No, not if not healthy.

5) Lastly, and sorry I missed it before, we need a FO shakeup. One that makes the news. Either hire someone smart or fire Pelinka or move him to another position. Give the Buss boys more authority, etc. Got to make a shake up happen. Also, need to make certain Rambis has no authority.
Also, I want to see the grip of Rich Paul and Klutch go away. Obviously has been a bad decision to let Klutch and Lebron (with Pelinka) construct the crap roster they had this year.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject:

Nothing, because idiot Rob traded away all of our assets for dead weight, over bloated contracts that we are stuck with for at least 1 more season.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Paths for Westbrook in my order of preference:

1) Russ, FRP ± THT for Fournier, Reddish, Burks ± Kemba
2) Stretch Russ after re-engaging Knicks on a THT, FRP for Reddish, Burks deal.
3) Bite the bullet and stretch Russ and replenish depth with the full MLE and BAE. Avoid using the full MLE on Monk, try to get two depth pieces.
4) Russ + picks for 2 of Turner/Brogdon/Hield

Either way our roster should reflect our coach's style, whoever that ends up being. Melo and Dwight are worth keeping around for spot minutes but we should otherwise bring in youth and energy with any remaining minimum slots to pace us through the regular season. We looked slow and old far too often.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:

Why? So Lakers fans can start mistreating, underrating, overjudging and talking about how horrible they are and how they need to be traded when they aren't an all-star that saves our team in year one?

Wha....what do you mean?! Why us fans would never do something like that. Nooooo not us...

What you say .”look at russel/kuz/hart/zu/lonzo/Randle/million draft picks/Bryant/cuso/ad.?” ....oh I don’t remember those players . Look at what we got ummm one whole bubble ring and a broke down Davis and a untradable Westbrook...that was fair trade.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:

Wha....what do you mean?! Why us fans would never do something like that. Nooooo not us...

What you say .”look at russel/kuz/hart/zu/lonzo/Randle/million draft picks/Bryant/cuso/ad.?” ....oh I don’t remember those players . Look at what we got ummm one whole bubble ring and a broke down Davis and a untradable Westbrook...that was fair trade.

those draftees don't get you out of the first round
bubble ring count just the same. its #17 on the year of kobes death
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: