1981/82 Magic and Dr. Buss flub firing of Paul Westhead

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: 1981/82 Magic and Dr. Buss flub firing of Paul Westhead

11-19-1981. (This of ULTIMATE RARITY). This footage has been written about, but only I had the receipts in The Volt. Now you can see what really happened. Buss' rookie mistake of naming West coach and West immed clarified the situation. That moment has been written about, but nary the actual footage.

NPZ:
Press conference by Lakers announcing the firing of Westhead and the hiring of Pat Riley. This is of legend. Dr. Buss, a newbie, handled the reasons terribly and sounded like he just rehired West for the HC gig, but West right at the podium put that to rest. Scene discussed in every Laker history book. This clip has news footage from the day of Westhead's firing on 11/19/81 and interviews by Magic, Kareem, Dr. Buss, Riley, Chick.
=
Young Magic wore the goat horns on this situation because there was a mini-team mutiny against Westhead and Magic's comments off the cuff after a WIN at Utah on 11/18 made the levee break. Internally, Dr. Buss, Bill Sharman, and Chick Hearn (the FO members) were planning on firing Westhead after about 5 more games in order to get their ducks in a row, but young Earvin, unwittingly put himself into the mix not knowing that. Everyone blamed him from the media to fans. He got booed on the first home game afterwards vs SA on 11/20. Laker history books write about that, but it wasn't as bad as portrayed. Nothing is. The media doesn't care about giving nuance, they care about pushing THE most controversial angle they can possibly create.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Amazing find and thanks for posting! Lots of cool interviews in there. Amusing that Jim Hill looks the same.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Westhead reminds me of one of those actors that appears on all sorts of TV shows but always gets cast as the villain. Can't quite think of a name though. The guy was given a chance at immortality but blew it. Anybody know if the Captain Hook hated him also?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject:

Awesome find as always NPZ! I've always especially loved the long game recaps from the Showtime era.

It's interesting, watching this vid and reading the books that I've read about the Showtime era, that Westhead seemed to have this lack of self awareness about why he was fired. Self awareness is such an important trait for any coach or leader to have, and it seems like he had no idea that making that team play slowdown basketball was not only a bad idea, but that it was pissing his players off, especially Magic.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

The original Stu! The late great “Silver Tip” Stu Nahan.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
Westhead reminds me of one of those actors that appears on all sorts of TV shows but always gets cast as the villain. Can't quite think of a name though. The guy was given a chance at immortality but blew it. Anybody know if the Captain Hook hated him also?

Dude took the team to a championship and would've gone back to back had Magic not gotten injured.

He also won a WNBA Championship as head coach and completely destroyed the NCAA tourney with his offense at LMU.

Even with his firing - it wasn't because he was inept. The team was wining - THE MAN WAS FIRED AFTER A 5 GAME WINNING STREAK! - and he wanted the offense to run through Kareem. Magic wanted Showtime. Even though Buss was planning to fire Westhead anyway, I still believe it was at Magic's behest.

So, say what you want, but Westhead was a damned good head coach.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject:

Watching/listening to Kareem's response pretty much verifies that this was a Magic thing. Kareem hints that Magic never complained to him about the offense.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

Dude took the team to a championship and would've gone back to back had Magic not gotten injured.

He also won a WNBA Championship as head coach and completely destroyed the NCAA tourney with his offense at LMU.

Even with his firing - it wasn't because he was inept. The team was wining - THE MAN WAS FIRED AFTER A 5 GAME WINNING STREAK! - and he wanted the offense to run through Kareem. Magic wanted Showtime. Even though Buss was planning to fire Westhead anyway, I still believe it was at Magic's behest.

People have been spinning the Westhead firing for 40 years.

Westhead wanted a boring, yet effective offense centered on Kareem. Magic wanted an exciting, and what turn out to be effective offense centered on his style of play.

Basic power struggle. Westhead was a good coach, but bad politician. He didn't realize the influence that Magic would have on the team, and the importance of entertainment in addition to winning.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

Westhead wanted a boring, yet effective offense centered on Kareem. Magic wanted an exciting, and what turn out to be effective offense centered on his style of play.

Basic power struggle. Westhead was a good coach, but bad politician. He didn't realize the influence that Magic would have on the team, and the importance of entertainment in addition to winning.

It was all big and dramatic at the time. When Riley came in, and Showtime succeeded, no one cared. Forty years later, it's simply a tidbit for those who like basketball history.

The big headlines of the moment eventually turn into LG threads that dribble to a close after a few posts.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject:

How come the 1982 NBA Finals are never talked about?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
How come the 1982 NBA Finals are never talked about?

1 - NBA's crappy TV package
2 - Early Showtime (Nixon/Wilkes) was unappreciated compared to later Showtime (Scott/Worthy)
3 - It was a coronation rather than a competition - Sixers had to go get Moses Malone the next season and still would've lost were it not for injuries (yes, I'm still bitter).
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

I didn't say anything about his coaching abilities. But he certainly didn't play his cards right, which is a pity for him.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

The career this situation gave Pat Riley. He could’ve still been the Lakers announcer.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject:

RestEasyBlackMamba wrote:
The career this situation gave Pat Riley. He could’ve still been the Lakers announcer.

Actually, it was the prior situation. Riley was an announcer when Jack McKinney was HC and Westhead was an AC. Jack McKinney was injured in a bicycle accident, Westhead was bumped up to HC and he hired Riles as AC.

I've always wondered if Chick pushed Riles out of the booth and onto the bench. Chick was still Assistant GM in 1979 and was notoriously hard on announcing partners (he fired Al Michaels - THE Al Michaels - for Pete's sake). Chick often talked about helping Riles out when Pat retired as a player.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject:

I'd say that things turned out all right for the Lakers
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

Error
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks as always to the legend that IS…npz
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Thanks as always to the legend that IS…npz

Homie got a shout out on Bill Simmons show today.. Kikanga caught it
Bill loves his videos

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=191726
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

Yep. Neither the players nor fans wanted that Westhead controlled fast break. It was boring. And Westhead overestimated the importance of the coach within an era where the power of the player was rapidly rising.

I felt bad for Magic, not only was he booed but many fans wanted him traded.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

They don't do sports journalism like this anymore
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject:

My wife is loving Winning Time and learning more about Lakers history, so after the events of last night's episode, she was asking about how exactly Pat Riley became HC and I ended up explaining this iconic press conference in detail. I came here to show her the video, but it's private! NPZ, any way we can make this video public?!
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
My wife is loving Winning Time and learning more about Lakers history, so after the events of last night's episode, she was asking about how exactly Pat Riley became HC and I ended up explaining this iconic press conference in detail. I came here to show her the video, but it's private! NPZ, any way we can make this video public?!

I second this
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:

NPZ needs to create a corresponding watch list for the various Winning Time episodes.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

NPZ needs to create a corresponding watch list for the various Winning Time episodes.

Love this idea!

@NPZ: If you don't want to make this particular video public, can you make it "Unlisted" and share the link to LG members who DM you directly for it?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

Love this idea!

@NPZ: If you don't want to make this particular video public, can you make it "Unlisted" and share the link to LG members who DM you directly for it?

Pretty please 🙏🏾
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: