Lakers to sign 6'9 Wenyen Gabriel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject:

I think the cut will have to be likely Bradley/Baze/Ellington.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Probably Ellington or Baze.
Vogel still plays Bradley a lot.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I know we picked up Augustin, and there’s the ever prospect of Nunn suiting up at some point, but one of these is not like the others.

Bradley 22.6 mpg / 56 games

Ariza 19 mpg / 22 games.
Wayne 18.6 mpg / 40 games
Baze 14 mpg / 37 games

The tricky thing is that you’re ending the season for whoever you cut because they won’t be playoff eligible. I wonder even if those appearances aren’t part of why we’re dragging our feet on the timing of Gabriel’s deal. Ariza is the crispiest of the group, and in all honesty might be ready to hang them up to focus on his family. He’s not the guy I would cut, but I wonder if he’s the most willing to retire.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

Baze would be the obvious choice. Ariza could be a locker room guy, Wayne is just good to have aroundi n case he gets hot, Baze has shown nothing for us and outside of staying "ready" isn't much value for the team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

The tricky thing is that you’re ending the season for whoever you cut because they won’t be playoff eligible. I wonder even if those appearances aren’t part of why we’re dragging our feet on the timing of Gabriel’s deal. Ariza is the crispiest of the group, and in all honesty might be ready to hang them up to focus on his family. He’s not the guy I would cut, but I wonder if he’s the most willing to retire.

I don't think we're dragging our feet. There just isn't any advantage to cutting someone to make room for him before you have to. On the other hand, if we wait, someone might get injured and we'll be happy we didn't act prematurely.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I know we picked up Augustin, and there’s the ever prospect of Nunn suiting up at some point, but one of these is not like the others.

Bradley 22.6 mpg / 56 games

Ariza 19 mpg / 22 games.
Wayne 18.6 mpg / 40 games
Baze 14 mpg / 37 games

If I had to choose, it would be Wayne.

I think Ariza is cooked, but he does offer size at the 3-4. Baze is a bigger shooting guard, so we may need him against guys like Booker, etc. Bradley, not a big fan, but no way Vogel lets him go.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject:

It's a tough call. I know in a vacuum Trevor fits the description of what the Lakers need. But at this point he's really just a chalk outline of that player. He's also fallen behind Gabriel, Stanley, Melo and Tucker in the rotation.

Bradley and Baze are both poor insurance at guard, but they are insurance. If we lose a forward at this point, Vogel is going to compensate with more three guard rotations. Of the three guards, Wayne is the poorest in terms of two-way appeal.

So I think it comes down to Ariza and Wayne.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I guess that answers the dilemma of who gets cut

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Figured it would be Ariza.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Figured it would be Ariza.

Dude is probably all about Cancun at this point, but Ariza will not be eligible to jump onto any squad and play for them during the playoffs. This transaction happened a little too late, but better late than never.

As for Gabriel, remember we have about 400k remaining of our prorated tpMLE remaining, meaning we could sign dude to a ROS deal where it can be 3yrs in length (ie this year wound count as 1 of those 3 yrs) rather than only a 2yr deal (using the vet min exception instead).

Please do the right thing, Rob.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Vas, that's what I would do too, the three year deal. But you probably need to give a bigger guarantee to Gabriel for next year (maybe full) to get him to agree and I'm not sure they do it. I'm expecting this season's flameout, including the absence of playoff revenue coupled with the monster tax payment that's coming due is going to keep the bank account frosty.

I know a minimum is a minimum. But roster spots aren't free and they might want to keep more flexibility to avoid cutting any guaranteed money. We'll see I guess.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Im glad hes staying

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject:

The Lakers have signed two-way forward Wenyen Gabriel to a new standard NBA deal.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1512513442963509259?s=21

Congrats Wenyen!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I wanted to wait and see the terms before I gave Rob a pat on the back (no knife tho)…but of course dude went with the 2yr vet min instead of the 3yr remainder from the tpMLE…

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Wenyen Gabriel signed a two-year contract with Lakers, with a team option for the 2022-23 season, sources said.

At the very least, they didn’t waste an opportunity to create a potential asset on a team friendly deal instead of having Ariza just expire off our books. So kudos for doing the bare minimum in asset management. Still hoping Jeanie sends your bare ass out the door tho.

Btw, the 2023 cap plan is still alive…
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I hope he and reaves put on blinders and live in the gym this offseason.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

For those that care, if we decide to exercise his team option to bring him back ( or use in a trade) he will be on an expiring deal paying him (also as a cap hit) of about 2.04m (signing the deal as a 3yr vet).
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Yes.

And I hope next season they get to practice enough to work on some on court things like one of Wenyen's big problems is fouling when he's trying to play defense. Let's actually do some development of a young talent instead of just throwing them out there and hoping it works out.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Yes.

And I hope next season they get to practice enough to work on some on court things like one of Wenyen's big problems is fouling when he's trying to play defense. Let's actually do some development of a young talent instead of just throwing them out there and hoping it works out.

Yeah. I mean his length and body type are perfect for being an elite defender.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

If both shoot like 500-1000 3-pointers a day and gain 10-15 pounds of upper-body/core muscle this summer, they can both have a serious future as valuable NBA role players.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject:

The three year deal would have required some guarantee next season. Almost no reason to sign it otherwise if you're Gabriel. Expect a summer of transactions that help the bottom line more than the box score. Will be interesting to see how they spin all of that.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject:

^LF: it’s a small thing, but as we’ve seen, if you marginalize working the margins, it could come back to get ya.

As an undrafted 3rd year vet, Gabriel has no footing to leverage a deal…and time & time again Rob has shown he’s just lousy at writing up contracts.

The Bucks just used their vacated roster spot to gain an asset on a cheap team deal for 3 years…

Quote:
Chris Haynes
@ChrisBHaynes

The Milwaukee Bucks have reached a three-year deal with forward Rayjon Tucker of the NBA G League’s Wisconsin Herd, league sources tell @YahooSports

It’s one thing to not have the mechanism to get something like this done, but we did have roughly 400k remaining of the prorated tpMLE left…you know the amount that we could have possibly used on an undrafted Reaves midseason, but chose not to.

If your owner expresses that they want to minimize the tax hit while also expressing their desire to field a 3 max roster, it’s your F’n job to work the margins instead of round that MFer out with has-been retreads on vet min deals. Do better!

Rob keeps getting a pass…oh it’s cause Klutch made him do it and made him sacrifice all them assets during trade negotiations …it’s cause Jeanie is too cheap and ain’t letting him spend…it’s cause his Tessie broke down and he couldn’t get into the office that day. Nah bruh…do your MF’n job. Dude has me heated at how he can’t do the simplest most general transactions in managing this roster. And dude claims to put in the work…then put in the MF’n work bruh. I can’t with this guy anymore.

#FOh

Btw: LF, I hope you don’t feel like you caught any strays. I know what you’re trying to say, but I’m just done with all built-in excuses this dude continues to get.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to Wen!
That new contract had Wenyen G. fired up tonight. He played with heart, hustle and determination.
16 pts, 7 rbs, 2 blks (+24)

Quote:
Dancing Barry wrote:

"Gabriel -- -- The Lakers penned him to a standard contract and will give Mac McClung a two-way deal. I like that they’ve got Gabriel, Stanley and Reaves all on cheap deals for next year.
He sank a wing three in the first half on a kick-out. Practice that all summer long. “This is a big summer for me to put in a lot of work,” he said afterward.
A lot of setups from teammates under the hoop that he was able to power up and score with ease using that length of his. His only miss was an easy two-footer that rimmed out.
Defensively, he blocked a couple of shots and did a good job switching and handling smaller players. He led the team in +/- with a +24 in 24 minutes.
The Stats: He scored 16 points on 6-7 shooting (1-1 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 1 assist, 2 blocks and 1 foul in 24 minutes. He was a +24."
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

<snip>
Dude has me heated at how he can’t do the simplest most general transactions in managing this roster. And dude claims to put in the work…then put in the MF’n work bruh. I can’t with this guy anymore.

I whole-heartedly agree, when your team is missing the playoffs it's freakin' time you pull out every stop, sweat the last drop of sweat, dot every i and cross every t. We get on AD and LBJ's cases for coasting, taking games for granted - well this is no different, the team is hurting and Pelinka's still coasting, presumably because it's "a small deal that's beneath his greatness".
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

<snip>
Dude has me heated at how he can’t do the simplest most general transactions in managing this roster. And dude claims to put in the work…then put in the MF’n work bruh. I can’t with this guy anymore.

I whole-heartedly agree, when your team is missing the playoffs it's freakin' time you pull out every stop, sweat the last drop of sweat, dot every i and cross every t. We get on AD and LBJ's cases for coasting, taking games for granted - well this is no different, the team is hurting and Pelinka's still coasting, presumably because it's "a small deal that's beneath his greatness".

No 🧢, dude don’t know cap!

It’s either that or he’s hired a team capologist that’s crapping all over our assets/cap minutiae.

We’ve seen what a 2yr deal vs a 3yr deal has done in terms of an ultimatum between THT & AC. THT on a 3yr deal using just 890k of our cap space in 2019 means we can retain AC this past offseason, while keeping THT on a rookie min deal, giving him full Bird rights this coming summer to bag up.

But recall AC too got a 2yr deal in 2019. What if as a two-way player having next to zero leverage, he too gets a 3yr deal that summer?! And why did we choose the 2yr route? Cause when we struck out on Kawhi, we kicked the tires to go the Giannis cap plan route.

Which brings us to now maneuvering for a 2023 cap plan, which I’m calling straight manure 💩! Like please move over, cause if not, we need to stage a hostile take over. This dude ain’t it.

Here’s a thought, we should have planned to give Reaves, Stanley & Gabriel all 3yr deals using some portion of the tpMLE this year. That way we get their full bird rights to use in — wait for it….a contingency to 2023! If we strike out again that summer, we can at least turn to those guys as a contingency and offer something to them that no other team can: full bird rights in 2024!

Instead they’re on 2yr deals and if we go the top heavy route again next summer, they all could be lost as potential FAs. Congratulations Rob, you played yourself…again!

#MarginalizingTheMargins
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

<snip>

No 🧢, dude don’t know cap!

It’s either that or he’s hired a team capologist that’s crapping all over our assets/cap minutiae.

We’ve seen what a 2yr deal vs a 3yr deal has done in terms of an ultimatum between THT & AC. THT on a 3yr deal using just 890k of our cap space in 2019 means we can retain AC this past offseason, while keeping THT on a rookie min deal, giving him full Bird rights this coming summer to bag up.

But recall AC too got a 2yr deal in 2019. What if as a two-way player having next to zero leverage, he too gets a 3yr deal that summer?! And why did we choose the 2yr route? Cause when we struck out on Kawhi, we kicked the tires to go the Giannis cap plan route.

Which brings us to now maneuvering for a 2023 cap plan, which I’m calling straight manure 💩! Like please move over, cause if not, we need to stage a hostile take over. This dude ain’t it.

Here’s a thought, we should have planned to give Reaves, Stanley & Gabriel all 3yr deals using some portion of the tpMLE this year. That way we get their full bird rights to use in — wait for it….a contingency to 2023! If we strike out again that summer, we can at least turn to those guys as a contingency and offer something to them that no other team can: full bird rights in 2024!

Instead they’re on 2yr deals and if we go the top heavy route again next summer, they all could be lost as potential FAs. Congratulations Rob, you played yourself…again!

#MarginalizingTheMargins

Reading stuff like this is depressing af. We have become the Los Assetless Lakers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: