THUNDER -at- LAKERS - 4-8-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: THUNDER -at- LAKERS - 4-8-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

A Win!... The Lakers finally snapped their -- ouch -- eight-game losing streak against the Thunder.

Both teams rolled out their youth (the Lakers needing to mix in some vets).

The Lakers trailed by a point after the first, then stretched the lead out to 9 points midway through the second quarter. The Thunder briefly took a lead in the third quarter, but the Lakers switchy defense got better as the game went along.

They dominated the fourth with a 30-19 fourth quarter to run away with the 120-101 home win.

Eight of the nine Lakers who played tonight scored in double figures.

Horton-Tucker -- -- A career-high 40 points in the last one as he was able to play on ball and attack with space. He was slow to start, scoring 9 points on 2-8 shooting in the first half. Both makes were jumpers as he missed a few around the rim. A couple assists early setting up Dwight for dunks. Some trouble finishing still in the second half. Just a lot of chippies he should have had. There must have been about 5 or 6 around the rim that just wouldn’t fall, even a dunk attempt late. So not a very efficient night. If he’s taking 16 shots, I want something like Stanley’s numbers with around 21 or 22 points. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 4-16 shooting (1-4 from three, 6-6 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals and 2 fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +21.

Johnson -- -- Nice game from Stanley with a season-high 21 points. He quietly led the team in scoring. Good work using that body and strong base to muscle in scores or bully guys in the paint. He grabbed defensive boards and quickly turned them up court to get the Lakers into transition. Three ball wasn’t falling, but he made one later in the game as they sagged off him to help elsewhere. Got to make them pay when they do that. He also hit and elbow pull-up, a baseline jumper and knocked down a jumper from the top of the key. So the midrange and rim game was there, just not the three ball so much tonight. Once again, no fouls. The Stats: He scored 21 points on 8-16 shooting (1-5 from three, 4-7 from the line) to go with 8 boards (3 offensive), 1 steal and 1 turnover in 32 minutes. He was a -2.

Monk -- -- He struggled a bit with the three ball. Some nice drives for scores, including some finishes in transition. He and THT teamed up for a lazy backcourt pass that was picked off. I think we’ve been averaging one of those per game and THT is somehow always involved, although this one was on Monk. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-13 shooting (1-5 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 5 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers and 2 fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +12.

Reaves -- -- Some nice aggression in this game, including working on iso at times. He can usually get separation with the handle and then cause problems for the D. He sank a corner three on a kickout from Monk. A few assists in this game, including some lobs. He got middle on the two-man sequence and lobbed to Dwight for the flush. Some good moments on D, including picking a cross over to ignite a break and another lob to Malik. He also had a good challenge on a three to force an airball. Again, some issues getting overpowered, but for the most part there wasn’t a lot of threat to score against him. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 3-5 shooting (1-2 from three, 4-6 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal and 1 foul in 28 minutes. He was a -1.

Howard -- -- The veteran anchor of the team right now, he led the team with 10 points at the half. The guards were making some strong lob passes he was able to flush. Good to see him dunking a bunch tonight. The three ball wasn’t working as he wrecked his elite three shooting by going 0-2. He is now 8-15 from three. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 5-7 shooting (0-2 from three, 5-8 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnover and 2 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a -5.

Augustin -- -- All the other Lakers had scored in double digits as Augustin neared the end of his fourth quarter shift. After scoring a layup off a loose ball in the backcourt, he had a chance to get there with a three. It hit the rim, popped up and didn’t drop for him. No luck. That was really the only excitement in the fourth as the Lakers ran away with it. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 2-5 shooting (1-4 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 3 assists, 2 steals and 1 foul in 23 minutes. He was a +10.

Gabriel -- -- The Lakers penned him to a standard contract and will give Mac McClung a two-way deal. I like that they’ve got Gabriel, Stanley and Reaves all on cheap deals for next year. He sank a wing three in the first half on a kickout. Practice that all summer long. “This is a big summer for me to put in a lot of work,” he said afterward. A lot of setups from teammates under the hoop that he was able to power up and score with ease using that length of his. His only miss was an easy two-footer that rimmed out. Defensively, he blocked a couple of shots and did a good job switching and handling smaller players. He led the team in +/- with a +24 in 24 minutes. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 6-7 shooting (1-1 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 1 assist, 2 blocks and 1 foul in 24 minutes. He was a +24.

Ellington -- -- One of the other vets out there early with the kids and Dwight and D.J. He sank a couple of threes and finished a layup on the break for his 8 points in the first half. He’d get to double digits attacking for a layup in the second half. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-9 shooting (2-7 from three) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 22 minutes. He was a +15.

Jones -- -- Several And-1s in this game. He’s a strong guy and can absorb that contact well. He didn’t miss a shot from the floor, including sinking a one-on-three three on the break. I liked his read, diving off Augustin’s drive on one of those And-1 scores. Got to love the efficiency -- 4 shots and 13 points (THT had 12 more shots and 2 more points). The Stats: He scored 13 points on 4-4 shooting (1-1 from three, 4-5 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist and 3 fouls in 18 minutes. He was a +21. The Action: Dish to Ellington on break for a layup. Attack and muscle up an And-1 in paint on iso. // Dive off DJ drive who hit him for And-1 layup at end of third. Took contact, heard whistle and threw it up to bank it in from about 13 feet out And-1. Stop on a one-on-three and hit the three.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: The Thunder briefly had the lead in the third quarter. Vogel was wary about the focus early in that quarter and took a timeout. After they gave up the lead, they chipped away and got it back up to the 8- to 9-point range by the end of the quarter. Then dominated the fourth from there after not giving the team hope during that third quarter stretch..

Key Substitution: Good to see us give Mason Jones some quality minutes to show what he can do at this level after a strong G-League season..

Key Stats: The Lakers shot 29-39 from the line tonight. The Lakers finish 21-20 at home.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I love what we're seeing from Reaves, Johnson and Gabriel. I know I keep saying this, but there is hope for next season as long as management makes the right moves with Westbrook and hiring the right head coach (not Doc Rivers).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Feels good to win one. Any win is a good win.
Mason Jones was impressive. The team played well. Thx DB
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject:

Good to see a team play with energy, effort and focus

Acknowledge that these were two teams that were playing with their youth.

Reeves, Johnson and Gabriel ar the silver linings of this season.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks for this one DB.

I was actually looking forward to this game because wanna have a look at some of these guys for next year.

A lot depends on coaching but I like

Stanley, Gabriel, Reaves.

A) They’re cheap.
B) They’re gonna be off the bench options.
C) They seem to be able to give motor on both sides.

Im more on the side that says let Monk go, way too much to bring back. I can’t see him come back on a short deal and I don’t like keeping him at a big contract.

THT is a work in progress and it certainly would have been nice not to have traded for WB and allow THT to go through what WB did this season. Like if you’re gonna have a losing season would have been nice to have developed THT that season. Only now 3 games left have we had this chance. Huge blunder. Just think about where we would be right now having started the season with Caruso, KCP, THT, Reaves and a vet like Rondo as our 5 man guard core. And could have always drafted a wing or big with our first round pick. Ugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks for this one DB.

I was actually looking forward to this game because wanna have a look at some of these guys for next year.

A) They’re cheap.

Im more on the side that says let Monk go, way too much to bring back. I can’t see him come back on a short deal and I don’t like keeping him at a big contract.

THT is a work in progress and it certainly would have been nice not to have traded for WB and allow THT to go through what WB did this season. Like if you’re gonna have a losing season would have been nice to have developed THT that season. Only now 3 games left have we had this chance. Huge blunder. Just think about where we would be right now having started the season with Caruso, KCP, THT, Reaves and a vet like Rondo as our 5 man guard core. And could have always drafted a wing or big with our first round pick. Ugh.

That ALL we've been thinking about. The front office blew it. Period.

DB, I can't say how much I appreciate your work my man. Other than the development of Reaves, and the acquisitions of Johnson & Gabriel on the fly, you've been a silver lining in this season as well.

Thank you!
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>
Huge blunder. Just think about where we would be right now having started the season with Caruso, KCP, THT, Reaves and a vet like Rondo as our 5 man guard core. And could have always drafted a wing or big with our first round pick. Ugh.

And then to compound it by signing DJ, and then further compounding it by adding guards upon guards instead of signing a 10 minute relief 5 for the injured Davis+Howard.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks for this one DB.

A) They’re cheap.

Yeah this is the type you used to enjoy in a different way before Lebron arrived. Obviously not as competitive but definitely easier on the blood pressure.

I agree that if we free up the full MLE, using it on Monk should not be an automatic. I'd rather go after a 3/D wing or use about 2/3 of it to keep Monk and then the rest as essentially another BAE or midseason carrot. I like Monk's skillset but has numbers are essentially comparable to last year, also on a lottery team. Are we sure that teams will be lining up to give him the full MLE?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB (and Wolf!).

Gabriel, Johnson and Reaves are definitely keepers. Good pieces to have sitting on your bench, young guys on cheap contracts.

They offer much more than the corpses of Bazemore, Ellington and Ariza.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject:

A win's a win.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again DB! So good to see a T&R with a happy face on it again.

I'll echo what others have said about bringing back Stanley, Gabriel and Reaves on inexpensive contracts. They hustle, defend, stay active and play like every game and every minute matters. That's what I want to see back next year.

I hope you enjoyed writing this one up, I enjoyed reading it!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Yay winning. Yay young guys and Dwight! Thanks DB (& wolf)
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
where we would be right now having started the season with Caruso, KCP, THT, Reaves and a vet like Rondo as our 5 man guard core. And could have always drafted a wing or big with our first round pick. Ugh.
Great Points

Sadly, we wouldn't have found Reaves if Caruso was on this roster.

KCP/Caruso/Rondo/THT at PG while AD/LBJ's were injured would not be a consistently good experience, if the team were a legitimate title contender.

If we had our draft choice, it would only be another chip used in trading for another player.

One has to wonder why LBJ/AD were satisfied with a roster that didn't have much length or speed
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

<snip>
Sadly, we wouldn't have found Reaves if Caruso was on this roster.

Why?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
One has to wonder why LBJ/AD were satisfied with a roster that didn't have much length or speed

Basketball players don't always make great GMs. Kobe wanted Bynum traded for Kidd. It would have cost Kwame and Bynum I think, so the issue there would have been the size. Especially back then, not having a dominant physical presence in the middle, you're going to struggle in the playoffs.

The difference is for some reason we've given Lebron this sort of power here. Through his agency. It shouldn't happen. We let guys like Dwight/McGee go after a ring run, when they made sacrifices so we could get Klutch client like Trez in. This always rubbed me wrong. We then moved Danny Green for Dennis, and added a pick to it, I think.

I don't mind a tinker, a small move here or there. But the massive change that Pelinka makes each summer has done this team in, not the coaching of Frank Vogel. Even Frank's staff was adjusted by them, bringing in someone like Fizdale who was to run more of a small ball Miami Heat style offense.

Mistakes happen, but the lesson here for me is that sometimes being loyal is good. The guys that won you a title, deserved better. Pelinka and his partnership with Klutch needs to be finished. Laker fans need to pressure this. Perhaps he has learned his mistakes, and that is why you saw no activity at the deadline. I don't know. I do know, giving up draft picks now to correct mistakes is not the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Basketball players don't always make great GMs. Kobe wanted Bynum traded for Kidd. It would have cost Kwame and Bynum I think, so the issue there would have been the size. Especially back then, not having a dominant physical presence in the middle, you're going to struggle in the playoffs.

The difference is for some reason we've given Lebron this sort of power here. Through his agency. It shouldn't happen. We let guys like Dwight/McGee go after a ring run, when they made sacrifices so we could get Klutch client like Trez in. This always rubbed me wrong. We then moved Danny Green for Dennis, and added a pick to it, I think.

I don't mind a tinker, a small move here or there. But the massive change that Pelinka makes each summer has done this team in, not the coaching of Frank Vogel. Even Frank's staff was adjusted by them, bringing in someone like Fizdale who was to run more of a small ball Miami Heat style offense.

Mistakes happen, but the lesson here for me is that sometimes being loyal is good. The guys that won you a title, deserved better. Pelinka and his partnership with Klutch needs to be finished. Laker fans need to pressure this. Perhaps he has learned his mistakes, and that is why you saw no activity at the deadline. I don't know. I do know, giving up draft picks now to correct mistakes is not the way to go.

Though if they had traded Bynum for Kidd, maybe they win the title in 07-08. You have Kidd’s all star impact on top of Kobe/Pau. So maybe that would have been the right decision.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: