Lakers to sign 6'9 Wenyen Gabriel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

<snip>
Dude has me heated at how he can’t do the simplest most general transactions in managing this roster. And dude claims to put in the work…then put in the MF’n work bruh. I can’t with this guy anymore.

I whole-heartedly agree, when your team is missing the playoffs it's freakin' time you pull out every stop, sweat the last drop of sweat, dot every i and cross every t. We get on AD and LBJ's cases for coasting, taking games for granted - well this is no different, the team is hurting and Pelinka's still coasting, presumably because it's "a small deal that's beneath his greatness".

No 🧢, dude don’t know cap!

It’s either that or he’s hired a team capologist that’s crapping all over our assets/cap minutiae.

We’ve seen what a 2yr deal vs a 3yr deal has done in terms of an ultimatum between THT & AC. THT on a 3yr deal using just 890k of our cap space in 2019 means we can retain AC this past offseason, while keeping THT on a rookie min deal, giving him full Bird rights this coming summer to bag up.

But recall AC too got a 2yr deal in 2019. What if as a two-way player having next to zero leverage, he too gets a 3yr deal that summer?! And why did we choose the 2yr route? Cause when we struck out on Kawhi, we kicked the tires to go the Giannis cap plan route.

Which brings us to now maneuvering for a 2023 cap plan, which I’m calling straight manure 💩! Like please move over, cause if not, we need to stage a hostile take over. This dude ain’t it.

Here’s a thought, we should have planned to give Reaves, Stanley & Gabriel all 3yr deals using some portion of the tpMLE this year. That way we get their full bird rights to use in — wait for it….a contingency to 2023! If we strike out again that summer, we can at least turn to those guys as a contingency and offer something to them that no other team can: full bird rights in 2024!

Instead they’re on 2yr deals and if we go the top heavy route again next summer, they all could be lost as potential FAs. Congratulations Rob, you played yourself…again!

#MarginalizingTheMargins

Cheap ass Buss family.
lakerhalo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject:

As depressing as the situation is, thank you for the detailed explanation v17!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

<snip>
Dude has me heated at how he can’t do the simplest most general transactions in managing this roster. And dude claims to put in the work…then put in the MF’n work bruh. I can’t with this guy anymore.

I whole-heartedly agree, when your team is missing the playoffs it's freakin' time you pull out every stop, sweat the last drop of sweat, dot every i and cross every t. We get on AD and LBJ's cases for coasting, taking games for granted - well this is no different, the team is hurting and Pelinka's still coasting, presumably because it's "a small deal that's beneath his greatness".

No 🧢, dude don’t know cap!

It’s either that or he’s hired a team capologist that’s crapping all over our assets/cap minutiae.

We’ve seen what a 2yr deal vs a 3yr deal has done in terms of an ultimatum between THT & AC. THT on a 3yr deal using just 890k of our cap space in 2019 means we can retain AC this past offseason, while keeping THT on a rookie min deal, giving him full Bird rights this coming summer to bag up.

But recall AC too got a 2yr deal in 2019. What if as a two-way player having next to zero leverage, he too gets a 3yr deal that summer?! And why did we choose the 2yr route? Cause when we struck out on Kawhi, we kicked the tires to go the Giannis cap plan route.

Which brings us to now maneuvering for a 2023 cap plan, which I’m calling straight manure 💩! Like please move over, cause if not, we need to stage a hostile take over. This dude ain’t it.

Here’s a thought, we should have planned to give Reaves, Stanley & Gabriel all 3yr deals using some portion of the tpMLE this year. That way we get their full bird rights to use in — wait for it….a contingency to 2023! If we strike out again that summer, we can at least turn to those guys as a contingency and offer something to them that no other team can: full bird rights in 2024!

Instead they’re on 2yr deals and if we go the top heavy route again next summer, they all could be lost as potential FAs. Congratulations Rob, you played yourself…again!

#MarginalizingTheMargins

It seems like, with the possible exception of the Kobe era, this team has always been on a 2-3 year timeline as far as clearing out a max salary slot and hoping to get a big-name superstar.

We don't need that any time soon (unless LeBron definitely leaves within the next 16 months). Just get quality pieces around LeBron and AD and build a team with depth, athleticism and energy that is able to thrive in today's fast-breaking, defensive-minded NBA.

We don't need any more "names" right now. We need players.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject:

lakerhalo wrote:
As depressing as the situation is, thank you for the detailed explanation v17!

Believe it or not, I’m an optimistic guy…but I just can’t see it with this group. Reason being, they repeatedly make the same mistake, not learning from the error in their ways.

That being said, you’re welcome and feel free to hit me up if you need more cap related breakdowns. Hopefully this ish gets turned around soon tho. Don’t know how much more I can personally handle haha

Anyways, the deadline to waive players has passed (need to offer at least 48 hrs to clear waivers), but I would have cut Ellington, Baze & DJA to poach younger players we may have scoured in the Gleague (see how Chaundee was poached from our farm system by ATL).
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject:

I thought about that too Vas (cutting at least one more guy to take a swing at another prospect). But I suppose Pelinka has to consider not pissing off the vets (and their agents) too. It’s the relationship part of the business, and Pelinka already has enough people out there who don’t care for him.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

LF: I’m not saying you’re wrong, but it’s peculiar to value player relations from a guy that just cut a dude he used to rep and now dude can’t really link up with a title contender to potentially earn & ink up on a new deal next year (ie Ariza is playoff ineligible due to the timing of being cut).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

I understand your logic, but I can't get on board with this. These are marginal players for whom you wouldn't want to invest much cap space. You can find guys like Johnson and Gabriel in the clearance bin every season. Reaves is the only one that might get minutes on a contender. If these guys are a contingency plan, that's depressing.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject:

AH: I get what you’re saying too in that roster spots shouldn’t be accounted for by marginal talent, however if we’re talking about this particular FO, these players should be on the cap sheet as a safeguard from ourselves.

They’ve blown most of our flexibility in draft capital. In terms of salary fodder, we don’t have much besides Russ, THT and Nunn…all who have their own unique negatives making them distressed assets.

So having near minimum guys on the roster is probably a good preemptive measure in approaching our supposed 2023 cap plan. As is, they will be expiring deals that summer with a larger than vet min cap hold. That will bleed into our projected cap space unless we renounce them.

Personally, I’d like to add payroll to any tithe contender as a means of securing our tithe shot, but as we've seen, that’s not how this FO operates. They will target namers and their associated salaries and then round out the roster with tax cutting decisions.

Let’s say everything works out as planned for us, AD + Bron (on a 30m+ re-up) OR a 2023 max type FA + THT opted in will account for nearly 80-90m+ in team salary alone on a salary cap projected to be at the very max of 136m (tax kicking in at 165m).

Now account for the capholds of Stan, Gabriel our 2023 1st pick swap & the QO of Reaves and you lose about 10m+ in cap space right there. Then account for the incomplete roster charges along with the ntpMLE place holder and your cap space goes down roughly 16m+ from there.

So we would have roughly 10-20m in cap space to offer mid tier/vet type FAs.

So renouncing Stan/Gabriel/Reaves cap holds and losing them as FAs gets us right back to the top heavy cap sheet where we need to round out the roster with stop gap 1yr vet min deals. Why go thru that again when we have all those young’ns on near rookie scale vet min deals to hold us over till 2024?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Let’s say everything works out as planned for us, AD + Bron (on a 30m+ re-up) OR a 2023 max type FA + THT opted in will account for nearly 80-90m+ in team salary alone on a salary cap projected to be at the very max of 136m (tax kicking in at 165m).

Now account for the capholds of Stan, Gabriel our 2023 1st pick swap & the QO of Reaves and you lose about 10m+ in cap space right there. Then account for the incomplete roster charges along with the ntpMLE place holder and your cap space goes down roughly 16m+ from there.

So we would have roughly 10-20m in cap space to offer mid tier/vet type FAs.

So renouncing Stan/Gabriel/Reaves cap holds and losing them as FAs gets us right back to the top heavy cap sheet where we need to round out the roster with stop gap 1yr vet min deals. Why go thru that again when we have all those young’ns on near rookie scale vet min deals to hold us over till 2024?

I'll take your capology on faith. But this is a different matter than setting up Wenyen Gabriel and Stanley Johnson as a contingency plan if we strike out on free agents. Furthermore, I still submit that Gabriel and Johnson are fungible players from the clearance bin. So renounce away. We can find two more players like them in the clearance bin. Reaves is a different matter, because he has two-way skills and is a cut above the clearance bin. Reaves is second on the team in RAPM this year (1.06), behind only Monk. He's second in D-RAPM to Davis (0.7). I'm not sure that this is sustainable or that it would scale if he played a greater role. But I wouldn't put him in the same pot with Gabriel and Johnson.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject:

YEAH WENYEN!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject:

I know he probably won’t be much more than a 12th man but I certainly saw flashes that with right development he could be dpoy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject:

I'm not mad about him returning.

For the minimum, he's still young enough and has athleticism.

We started the year after FA chock full of old guys and ended up unleashing Reaves, signing Stanley/Gabriel.

So we're hopefully starting the year off with younger legs, which is what LBJ/AD really need around them as they age.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Players like Gabriel are exactly what we need on a roster with practically no size. Has the FO forgotten what we look like at our best? We were both big & fast. It was the primary reason 2020 was not a fluke, or tainted, or deserved an asterisk, or any other bs.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject:

With our lack of assets and draft picks moving forward, our only choice is to develop guys like Gabriel and hope they become diamonds in the rough.

If he just becomes a 3-point shooter, he would become a pretty valuable rotation player, as he plays with a good amount of energy and is a pretty good rebounder.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I workout

Everyone working their asses off already

LETS ROLL
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Glad he's likely back for next game on Sunday, we need as much bigs avail out there in case AD is out.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Glad he's likely back for next game on Sunday, we need as much bigs avail out there in case AD is out.

where'd you hear this?
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:

where'd you hear this?

My bad might be wrong. They said he was supposed to return to tonight's game.

This is the recent update for him.
Quote:
Wenyen Gabriel is nearing a return from his shoulder injury. Darvin Ham says he’s day-to-day at this point.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1603511850821226496
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:

where'd you hear this?

Not exactly what was said but it does sound like he's close

TDRock wrote:
Gabriel is out for the Denver game, per the Lakers. Their next game after that is Sunday at home vs Washington.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1603541849020370944?s=46&t=A3WQUPgOPHlc5ZR0W5LMEg
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
levon wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:

where'd you hear this?

Not exactly what was said but it does sound like he's close

TDRock wrote:
Gabriel is out for the Denver game, per the Lakers. Their next game after that is Sunday at home vs Washington.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1603541849020370944?s=46&t=A3WQUPgOPHlc5ZR0W5LMEg

Thanks TDRock! also thanks for the stream the other day, can't find any good ones online.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:07 am    Post subject:

Ah, I forgot about this thread when I wanted to post about him a few weeks back. The search feature here is not too good I guess.

In any case, I'm happy he's going to be back at it soon.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Looking promising

Video at link

https://twitter.com/cooperhalpern/status/1604655208323158016?s=46&t=8NxHTQr86tKORCMzCWQqUQ
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Looking promising

Video at link

https://twitter.com/cooperhalpern/status/1604655208323158016?s=46&t=8NxHTQr86tKORCMzCWQqUQ

Particularly with AD out, why wouldn’t you insert him back in.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Come back soon we miss you
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Looking promising

Video at link

Particularly with AD out, why wouldn’t you insert him back in.

Theseus wrote:
Come back soon we miss you

The hope is he's back tomorrow which I think is why he did not play today
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: