Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Thanks, Frank!

I’m sure you would do some things a bit differently next time but no one would have succeeded with this season’s roster full of clowns.

Ty Lue is succeeding without Paul George and Kawhi Leonard.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

Props to frank for keeping team focused for a 4.5 month break and isolated conditions during the bubble, when other teams showed little to no interest and even Avery who left to take care of his son.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Thanks, Frank!

I’m sure you would do some things a bit differently next time but no one would have succeeded with this season’s roster full of clowns.

Seems like a player problem
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Finally it will be over soon.

Bye Frank. Thanks for being apart of the title team in 2020, but despite the roster turnover and injury issues, this team has completely underachieved, and it’s clear he’s lost the locker room at this point. Look at the Clippers if you want to see a team that has been dealt a terrible hand with injuries, yet they still played hard. That’s on the coach.

He was never good at coaching an offense either. Which is far more important in this league than ever. I want to finally see a team that looks like they know what they are doing on that front, instead of looking like a YMCA offense.

Time to just burn it down.

Burn it down and rebuild what? You think Phil Jackson is going to come and rescue the Lakers? Defense wins championships, not offense. Every NBA team runs the same sort of offensive sets. Offensive coaching isn't really about X's and O's. It's about having players who know how to shoot the damn ball and actually make shots. You win based on defense. Every team that improved this season improved their defense. Do the research. You want on offensive team? Go ask D'antoni how that worked for him.

Nah. Burn it down as in rebuild the roster, get a coaching staff that doesn’t play useless players like Ariza, DJ, Bazemore, etc for half the season and an offense that doesn’t look like a joke. Sorry, but the coaching was inexplicably bad regardless of roster construction. The team underachieved, that’s a fact.

And now he’s gone. Good. Get someone like Quinn Synder and a good assistant coaching staff like 2020 if we’re still competing. Vogel had Kidd, Hollins, and Rondo as the player coach. It’s clear that Vogel wasn’t the brightest mind there.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

I don't think any of this disastrous season was Frank's fault. Not even one little bit. I also don't think coaches are going to see this as an appealing job. Brace yourselves for the return of Byron. Whoever comes in, fans will be complaining about them before long. It's funny this cycle goes on and on.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Classless of Woj leaking the news when he did. You know he was given the green light to do this when he did it.

Funny, because my reaction is mixed. Sure, I knew Vogel was gone but part of me is pissed at Jeanie, Kurt & Linda, Rob, Lebron for putting us in this position to begin with.

Now that Vogel is gone, my hopes is that the media attacks Jeanie, Kurt, Rob, etc. Vogel was an easy scapegoat but I hope everyone rips into those idiots!!

Not really fair that Vogel shoulder the blame here.
He was great for us, until he wasn’t.
He was given a crappy set of cards this year.
Not the winning hand for any coach.

I wish him the best!!

Thanks, Frank!

Exactly. And yes - thanks Frank!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject:

Elephant in the room: Vogs wasn’t a very good HC.

Definitely a great DC, head of chair as an AC candidate, but as an X&os HC, not a very good choice…which explains why he was not the priority during the 2019 coaching search and accepted lesser terms than his contemporaries and allowed complete control in the pickings of his assistants by Kurt Rambis.

He essentially became the yes man/shield of his employees so it comes with the territory why he was ousted in this way.

This is yet another reason why our current leaders in the FO are not looked highly upon by their exec contemporaries.

Terrible optics to see Vogs done away with in this manner, but what did he/we expect from this FO group?

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Thanks, Frank!

That's because the Clippers have young, hungry, focused players that can actually make shots and play some defense. It's about how the Clippers roster is constructed versus the Lakers, and how their culture is maintained versus the Lakers. The Clippers are better built and better ran franchise than the Lakers.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Thanks, Frank!

That's because the Clippers have young, hungry, focused players that can actually make shots and play some defense. It's about how the Clippers roster is constructed versus the Lakers, and how their culture is maintained versus the Lakers. The Clippers are better built and better ran franchise than the Lakers.

Their players take leadership roles. Bron disregarded that. We went off the rails early and he did zero.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Elephant in the room: Vogs wasn’t a very good HC.

Definitely a great DC, head of chair as an AC candidate, but as an X&os HC, not a very good choice…which explains why he was not the priority during the 2019 coaching search and accepted lesser terms than his contemporaries and allowed complete control in the pickings of his assistants by Kurt Rambis.

He essentially became the yes man/shield of his employees so it comes with the territory why he was ousted in this way.

This is yet another reason why our current leaders in the FO are not looked highly upon by their exec contemporaries.

Terrible optics to see Vogs done away with in this manner, but what did he/we expect from this FO group?

Regardless, dude got himself a ring which is more than 99% of other head coaches can say. He should have zero problem finding a new gig as HC. Might take him a season as there doesn't seem to be a whole bunch of coaches getting canned this offseason but he could still jump right in as lead assistant and make someone a dangerous defensive team. Perhaps if we can steal Snyder, Utah looks at him.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Thanks, Frank!

Ty Lue has a bunch of good, hungry basketball players with length and athleticism.

Outside of Monk and Reaves, the Lakers role players were garbage…but hey at least everyone knows their names!
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
troy wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Bye Frank. Thanks for being apart of the title team in 2020, but despite the roster turnover and injury issues, this team has completely underachieved, and it’s clear he’s lost the locker room at this point. Look at the Clippers if you want to see a team that has been dealt a terrible hand with injuries, yet they still played hard. That’s on the coach.

He was never good at coaching an offense either. Which is far more important in this league than ever. I want to finally see a team that looks like they know what they are doing on that front, instead of looking like a YMCA offense.

Burn it down and rebuild what? You think Phil Jackson is going to come and rescue the Lakers? Defense wins championships, not offense. Every NBA team runs the same sort of offensive sets. Offensive coaching isn't really about X's and O's. It's about having players who know how to shoot the damn ball and actually make shots. You win based on defense. Every team that improved this season improved their defense. Do the research. You want on offensive team? Go ask D'antoni how that worked for him.

Nah. Burn it down as in rebuild the roster, get a coaching staff that doesn’t play useless players like Ariza, DJ, Bazemore, etc for half the season and an offense that doesn’t look like a joke. Sorry, but the coaching was inexplicably bad regardless of roster construction. The team underachieved, that’s a fact.

And now he’s gone. Good. Get someone like Quinn Synder and a good assistant coaching staff like 2020 if we’re still competing. Vogel had Kidd, Hollins, and Rondo as the player coach. It’s clear that Vogel wasn’t the brightest mind there.

Get someone "like" Quinn Snyder? What, you think getting a quality head coach is that easy? Like buying a shirt at Walmart? What quality coaches, "like Quinn Snyder" as you put it, are out there? And of them, what quality coaches, "like Quinn Synder", would want to come into this mess? I doubt Snyder wants to come into this dysfunctional Laker franchise. You forget, 3 years ago, when the conditions were at their best in Lakerland, we tried to get two quality coaches to come here and they both turned us down. Good luck getting anyone now.

But hey, we can always get Kurt Rambis to coach the Lakers. He's "like Quinn Snyder", right?
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject:

I'm ashamed to be a fan of this organization. Despite ny philosophical disagreements with Frank and his staff and my belief that they should have been let go, leadership's treatment of this man has been torturous these past three years. Incredibly unprofessional and reeks of insecurity at every level. Meanwhile Frank was the epitome of class and won the press conference through dark times. Not to mention he delivered a championship in his first year.

Good luck Coach Vogel. Thank you for being so poised while working with these pieces of (bleep).
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
I'm ashamed to be a fan of this organization. Despite ny philosophical disagreements with Frank and his staff and my belief that they should have been let go, leadership's treatment of this man has been torturous these past three years. Incredibly unprofessional and reeks of insecurity at every level. Meanwhile Frank was the epitome of class and won the press conference through dark times. Not to mention he delivered a championship in his first year.

Good luck Coach Vogel. Thank you for being so poised while working with these pieces of (bleep).

Exactly how I've been feeling. Questioning my fandom at this current point in time.

Thank you for 2020, Coach.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
levon wrote:

Exactly how I've been feeling. Questioning my fandom at this current point in time.

Thought I was the only one. My desire to remain a Laker fan is at an all-time low. I don't really like this current Lakers team. I don't like Lebron, AD, or Westbrook as Laker players. Lebron's a good guy, I'm sure, I just don't like him on the Lakers. I also don't like all the rift-raft on the team. I don't like Rambis. I can't stand Rob. Jeanie is slowly pissing me off. What's worse is that the damned Clippers are starting to look better and better to me, as an organization.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
levon wrote:

Thought I was the only one. My desire to remain a Laker fan is at an all-time low. I don't really like this current Lakers team. I don't like Lebron, AD, or Westbrook as Laker players. Lebron's a good guy, I'm sure, I just don't like him on the Lakers. I also don't like all the rift-raft on the team. I don't like Rambis. I can't stand Rob. Jeanie is slowly pissing me off. What's worse is that the damned Clippers are starting to look better and better to me, as an organization.

The Clippers are absolutely run better in every way, shape, and form. But also, (bleep) the Clippers. I'll just tune out of being super invested in the Lakers and kind of casually keep up with the team until changes are made, if they're ever made. Once the structure of the Lakers change on a fundamental level, then I can't wait to come back.

I just can't support Jeanie and the Rambis family anymore. I do like LeBron and AD. Joey and Jesse are cool, but they don't have much say in what goes on as far as we're all aware.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
troy wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
levon wrote:

The Clippers are absolutely run better in every way, shape, and form. But also, (bleep) the Clippers. I'll just tune out of being super invested in the Lakers and kind of casually keep up with the team until changes are made, if they're ever made. Once the structure of the Lakers change on a fundamental level, then I can't wait to come back.

I just can't support Jeanie and the Rambis family anymore. I do like LeBron and AD. Joey and Jesse are cool, but they don't have much say in what goes on as far as we're all aware.

I'm not leaving my Lakers. I'm just not that invested right now. I agree with your take; I'm just gonna lay low and wait and see. I have a few teams in the playoffs that I can invest my passion into until the Lakers clean up their act.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
troy wrote:
We didn't lose because of Vogel, Lebron or even Westbrook. We lost this season because of poor roster construction and AD (and maybe Nunn) being hurt.

There were many factors of course. I think the problem with Vogel though is that he not only never found the right buttons to push but he never settled into a lineup. I think they showed a stat on TV recently that said they had 40 starting lineups this season. I may be off on the exact number there but that is what it was from my recollection someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But there is no way to have continuity when you do that. Even lineups that played well would just inexplicably be shifted the next game.

If a team underperforms it's going to fall on the head coach. While injuries are a valid excuse for some of it, not all of it. Same with roster construction. The team didn't consistently play hard. They were bottom feeders on both ends of the floor.

Vogel coached the team to a title two years ago and that counts for something. But he also did that with an all-star list of assistant coaches and a player coach in Rondo. He may have been propped up a bit.

Everyone will have their own opinion on how much each element contributed to this disaster of a season. They all have a share of the blame. But given that the Lakers were a poor offensive team in each of the past two seasons. Given that they probably had the most disappointing season in Lakers history just now. He's almost certainly going to be fired in my opinion.

He's won a title though. He'll land on his feet. I don't think he's a bad coach. But he seemed to lose the team this season and at least some of those guys will be back next season. I just don't see how he can survive that and stay with the team.

It ended up being 41 starting lineups.

I basically agree with what you have said.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I don't really get this offense versus defense thing.

How about both? Isn't that what wins championships?
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject:

What about Pau Gasol?

My list would be

1) Duncan
2) Ginobili
3) Gasol

Battier and Redick would be good assistants

We need a coach that know the importance of being unselfish and sharing the ball
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Unbiased NBA Fan wrote:

Frank Vogel is currently the front-runner for the Houston Rockets' head coach position, per @BenDuBose.

Former Hornets coach James Borrego is expected to interview today. With Ime Udoka interviewing either today or tomorrow.
Apr 17, 2023ReplyRetweetFavorite
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Shouldn’t this get moved to general basketball discussions? Not in Lakers lounge?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Shouldn’t this get moved to general basketball discussions? Not in Lakers lounge?

Agreed. Frank was a great coach and will do great things, but he’s not our coach anymore. And I won’t be cheering for any team he’s part of. Nothing personal, but I only have 1 team… in the playoffs and in the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224
Page 224 of 224
Jump to: