jeannie and the Rambi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

Based on her comments, Jeanie seems to want to stay out of the basketball side of the business. That's fine and definitely more preferable than having a hands-on owner who isn't very good.

In watching some older interviews, she talks about getting back to Lakers basketball, which is winning championships. That's fine for a TV interview, but obviously behind the scenes it's not as simple as that.

There are times where she still needs to be involved and to set the direction. She's got some big decisions coming up, like the new coach and LeBron's potential extension, where she has the final say.

I have no idea, but she doesn't seem comfortable making these decisions on her own based on the number of ex-Lakers that she seems to consult (Magic, Rambii, Phil).
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
she talks about getting back to Lakers basketball, which is winning championships.

she has done that. Then allowed her people to swing for the fences, but whiffed. Next up at bat. let's see. Every team that bron has been on has been left in shambles so this is the norm for him.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
bluehill wrote:
she talks about getting back to Lakers basketball, which is winning championships.

she has done that. Then allowed her people to swing for the fences, but whiffed. Next up at bat. let's see. Every team that bron has been on has been left in shambles so this is the norm for him.

That's kinda of what I'm getting at. When Rob wanted to trade for Russ, I would think that he ran it by Jeanie. I would hope that Jeanie asked some questions about why he thought Russ would fit with LBJ and AD, how Rob planned to replace the depth going out and whether a FRP was necessary to include, etc.

Ultimately, she has to live with the consequences of those decisions, so she needs to understand the thought process and it should make sense to her. If she really is letting Rob, Kurt, Phil, Magic run the show with the only directive being to win a championship, then I can see more long shot risk taking in the future ending with more ugly seasons like this one.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Jeannie appears to acknowledge she doesn't understand basketball operations, which is why she has surrounded herself with people she trusts (Kurt, Magic, Phil even). I am sure she has Kurt advising on basketball operations for better or worst. Her and Linda have been BFFs for a long time. The problem here is it isn't working. She really needs to bring in a qualified GM to run the basketball decisions and not let Kurt meddle in that. She needs to look outside for once. I don't think Pelinka is working. Kurt will do more for better or worst until they do that.

Buss has been in this "family business" for ~40 years and defaults to the, "I don't understand basketball operations" is lazy. So, if I were running Starbucks or Coffee Bean can I truly say I don't understand coffee? This might be a ridiculous comparison, but the point is that if you don't understand the business you're in, then you shouldn't be trusted to run the organization.

It's time for the 27% ownership to sit her down and present how the Dodgers are run.

Rambis was a failure as a head coach and as a GM - FOH
Tim Harris was an Ops guy who thinks he can "run" basektball - GTFOH
Pelinka was an NBA agent, and was an adversary to most NBA front offices because he represented the interests of his clients is now on the other side; would one believe the NBA FOs would be friendly to him now? - GTFOH
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

SoCal88 wrote:

... Buss has been in this "family business" for ~40 years and defaults to the, "I don't understand basketball operations" is lazy. So, if I were running Starbucks or Coffee Bean can I truly say I don't understand coffee? This might be a ridiculous comparison, but the point is that if you don't understand the business you're in, then you shouldn't be trusted to run the organization.

So true. She doesn't have to execute, but at this point she should have a good enough understanding of basketball operations to evaluate and question the decisions that are being made.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Please correct to Rambii, the plural of Rambis.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

The Rambitrocity.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:

... Buss has been in this "family business" for ~40 years and defaults to the, "I don't understand basketball operations" is lazy. So, if I were running Starbucks or Coffee Bean can I truly say I don't understand coffee? This might be a ridiculous comparison, but the point is that if you don't understand the business you're in, then you shouldn't be trusted to run the organization.

So true. She doesn't have to execute, but at this point she should have a good enough understanding of basketball operations to evaluate and question the decisions that are being made.

I don't believe Jeanie has ever held a job that her father didn't give her. And most of her jobs were the kind of things that no one outside the organization could even guess whether she was doing the job well or poorly.

Her brother Jim took on the job where every move was analyzed and evaluated by fans. I got the impression that Jeanie wanted to distance herself from all that to keep a high level of deniability and escape blame for whatever happened.

She just seems like a buck passer to me.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The Rambitrocity.

There’s no stopping this Rambiiniquitous regime.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject:

How about #Rambye?

And it doubles down for 49er fans next year for revengeSZN.

Oh I got one more…cut em off from Jeanie @ the Rambilicus.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
Before Jeannie took over, the team was in the cellar with no top players even interested.

Since she took over, the team now has one of the greatest players of all time, another in AD, and won a championship.

Not good enough?

LeBron's contract was up. He would've come Jeannie or not. AD was going where ever LeBron was going
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
focus wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The Rambitrocity.

Seems like your Rambii-ling a little there, I usually wouldn't say anything but it piqued my Rambii-guity
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject:

lakeshowtacular wrote:
XTC wrote:
focus wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The Rambitrocity.

Seems like your Rambii-ling a little there, I usually wouldn't say anything but it piqued my Rambii-guity

So many Rambiiculous comments here ..
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
lakeshowtacular wrote:
XTC wrote:
focus wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The Rambitrocity.

So many Rambiiculous comments here ..

We talking about the Rambeciles?
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject:

The Dodger's ownership are gonna buy the Chelsea for 5 billion dollars. Are the Lakers actually more expensive?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
The Dodger's ownership are gonna buy the Chelsea for 5 billion dollars. Are the Lakers actually more expensive?

Actually, $3.09B. The other $2.16B is a commitment to make future investments in the team, including the problematic renovation of Stamford Bridge. The $3.09B includes a package of assets, including the women's team, so it isn't exactly analogous to the sale of an NBA franchise. That's a minor point, though.

Having said that, the sale price seems absurd. Abramovich bought the team for $150M. Chelsea has been highly successful during his tenure, but only because he pumped vast sums of money into the team. Even now, Chelsea does not have the global brand of some of the other big teams. Chelsea has won six first division titles in its history, but five of them were under Abramovich, and the team had not won a title in 50 years until they broke through under Abramovich. Basically, it was a good, but not great, English club before Abramovich.

It's in London, which makes it attractive. But man, the new owners are going to need to pour a lot of money into the club if they want to stay competitive. Abramovich is eating $2B in loans to the club. Are these people really going to keep pouring that much money into the club?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: