Where does Anthony Davis currently rank among the league's top players?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where does Anthony Davis currently rank among the league's top players?
Top 5
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
6-10
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
11-15
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
16-20
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Outside of the top 20
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 40

hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, c'mon now.. People saying that he's not 20 because of injuries and then listing Kawhi, Klay, Mitchell etc is pure comedy.. I also take him over a huge chunk of these other great offensive players being listed in here.. I never understood in what world Jokic is better as well, he's a great player but mediocre on the defensive end as a slowish big.. No thanks as my franchise player, he'll lead them mid way into the Playoffs every year with a solid cast for sure since he's an extremely well rounded offensive beast but I don't see him doing anything beyond that.. Denver is basically a more exciting version of the Utah Jazz when healthy who people fall in love with every single year and still act surprised when they fail in the Playoffs like clock work again and again. I've said this about both teams for like 2-3 years at least now.

I completely get not putting him in the top 5 and even having him slip a bit out of the top 10 but even that's pushing it, anything beyond that and you're losing me. A legitimately great 2 way player is a straight up Unicorn in todays NBA especially being a big that is absolutely elite defensively in the middle and on the perimeter...

I will say though if he ends up spending a good chunk of next season as well on the sidelines injured then he'll officially be entering Kawhi territory where it's all "what if's" and false hope with him also beginning to get older but he's not quite to that point yet imo.

Even though he hasn't been the same offensively the last couple seasons he's still better then the majority of players. I also get peoples frustration with him because I share it 100% but it doesn't mean he's still not a great player. He just barely turned 29 last month.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject:

15-20 if healthy as of now.

AD's offense has declined since the bubble.

His jump shot is almost non-existent at the moment. You can basically dare him to shoot outside the paint.

That's not going to cut it if he wants to be a top 10 player again.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject:

not as healthy, not as good as effective as before... probably top 20
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
15-20 if healthy as of now.

AD's offense has declined since the bubble.

His jump shot is almost non-existent at the moment. You can basically dare him to shoot outside the paint.

That's not going to cut it if he wants to be a top 10 player again.

The problem is we hired that idiot Mike Penberthy when we should have went after the Pelicans shooting coach, look what he’s done to Ingram and Murphy
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Those are all better. AD would need to beat out guys like Jimmy Butler, Kyrie, Donovan Mitchell, Chris Paul, Towns, Bradley Beal, etc. to be in the top 20.

Lillard, Booker, Young, Morant. I would say none of those guys is better than AD right now. Offensively, maybe. But AD's best attribute is his defense. And his offense isn't far behind.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject:

When healthy and MOTIVATED, definitely fringe top 5 or 6-10 based on who you ask. But that’s not really a fair comparison as you can make that argument for other players as well. You have to look at the whole body of work, and ability to stay healthy fair or not is part of the process. I’d say 13-15 overall. I can see arguments for 15-20 as well.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject:

Is Poole better than him?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject:

Well if he keeps not playing bottom 100
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

40 games this year in 82 game season
36 games last year in 36 game season

Maybe too 60/75
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Yeah, c'mon now.. People saying that he's not 20 because of injuries and then listing Kawhi, Klay, Mitchell etc is pure comedy.. I also take him over a huge chunk of these other great offensive players being listed in here.. I never understood in what world Jokic is better as well, he's a great player but mediocre on the defensive end as a slowish big.. No thanks as my franchise player, he'll lead them mid way into the Playoffs every year with a solid cast for sure since he's an extremely well rounded offensive beast but I don't see him doing anything beyond that.. Denver is basically a more exciting version of the Utah Jazz when healthy who people fall in love with every single year and still act surprised when they fail in the Playoffs like clock work again and again. I've said this about both teams for like 2-3 years at least now.

I completely get not putting him in the top 5 and even having him slip a bit out of the top 10 but even that's pushing it, anything beyond that and you're losing me. A legitimately great 2 way player is a straight up Unicorn in todays NBA especially being a big that is absolutely elite defensively in the middle and on the perimeter...

I will say though if he ends up spending a good chunk of next season as well on the sidelines injured then he'll officially be entering Kawhi territory where it's all "what if's" and false hope with him also beginning to get older but he's not quite to that point yet imo.

Even though he hasn't been the same offensively the last couple seasons he's still better then the majority of players. I also get peoples frustration with him because I share it 100% but it doesn't mean he's still not a great player. He just barely turned 29 last month.

Jokic is better, he carried the Nuggets into the playoffs without Murray and MPJ. His 2nd option is Barton, his 3rd option is Gordon. If they are healthy next year, thats where he will be judged in terms of ability to carry a team in the playoffs

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

People will say no because of the two way thing... but Poole was playing like a seasoned veteran in the playoffs at 22 years old.

I'd trade Poole straight up but I doubt the Warriors would take it.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Was Hot Rod Williams better than Kareem? That's the level of comparison's that you are making now.

Jordan Poole, #3 scorer on his own team. And a distant third. Two points less than Klay and 7 less than Steph. Rounds out the stat box with 4 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 0.8 steals, and 0.3 blocks. Medium impact on offense second worst impact on defense on their squad, and is a mediocre three point shooter. Wild card stat about him is he's averaged missing 12 games per season or 16.4% of his teams games due to the two shortened seasons.

Is that guy better than Anthony Davis? Are you just trolling at this point? He's still arguably the games best defensive big man. The injuries are a concern but when he's out there he still gave you 23.2, 9.9, 3.1, 1.2, and 2.3 on 53.2% shooting.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Right now, 30-40 range would be generous.

Availability is part of it too. Kawhi can’t be considered top 10 anymore until he comes back and proves he’s still at that level.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Was Hot Rod Williams better than Kareem? That's the level of comparison's that you are making now.

Jordan Poole, #3 scorer on his own team. And a distant third. Two points less than Klay and 7 less than Steph. Rounds out the stat box with 4 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 0.8 steals, and 0.3 blocks. Medium impact on offense second worst impact on defense on their squad, and is a mediocre three point shooter. Wild card stat about him is he's averaged missing 12 games per season or 16.4% of his teams games due to the two shortened seasons.

Is that guy better than Anthony Davis? Are you just trolling at this point? He's still arguably the games best defensive big man. The injuries are a concern but when he's out there he still gave you 23.2, 9.9, 3.1, 1.2, and 2.3 on 53.2% shooting.

no he's not. Gobert gets recognized as being better defensively. I would say Embiid is too then you start down the list of smaller guys. Green is certainly better. i don't care about his box score. This dude puts pretty numbers but gets pushed around.

Stop overrating him. Hes a solid defender.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
hype wrote:

Jokic is better, he carried the Nuggets into the playoffs without Murray and MPJ. His 2nd option is Barton, his 3rd option is Gordon. If they are healthy next year, thats where he will be judged in terms of ability to carry a team in the playoffs

Disagree if i'm looking for a Championship.. I agree he's better as a #1 but imo neither have a realistic chance at winning a Championship so that's kind of worthless to me. As a #2 or even 1b i'm going with AD with ease because of his 2 way ability.

I completely understand someone picking Jokic because of availability which is valid but if both are healthy i'm rolling with AD every time. No doubt Jokic is a great player so I have no issues with anyone picking him instead just def. not the way i'd go.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
no he's not. Gobert gets recognized as being better defensively.

Notice I said arguably. Gobert is a good shot blocker, he is nowhere near as mobile as AD though. He's been exposed badly in the playoffs as a result of this.

Have you already forgotten the Clipper series last season? The Clippers spread the floor and made him cover distance. The result was 4 straight clipper wins and Gobert averaged worse than -11 in those four games. They completely exploited him in a way that you can't exploit Anthony Davis due to his mobility. Embiid has averaged a mere 1.4 blocks per game over the past three seasons. AD is big enough to be a good defender down low, while also being mobile enough to switch out on guards and defend them well, or to close out on three point shooters. The only other person who really comes to mind in the league who can also do that is Giannis.

The Lakers this season had a defensive rating of 110.3 with Anthony Davis and of 117.7 without him. That would have put them at 13th in the league, 0.1 behind the Knicks and Sixers for the 11th spot, and 0.7 points better than the #14 Timberwolves with AD.

Without AD they had a defensive rating of 117.7, which would have them not only dead last in the league, but a full 1.3 points worse than the league worst Rockets. That's how big of a difference his defensive impact makes. They gave up 7.4 more points per 100 possessions when he wasn't on the court.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
hype wrote:

Disagree if i'm looking for a Championship.. I agree he's better as a #1 but imo neither have a realistic chance at winning a Championship so that's kind of worthless to me. As a #2 or even 1b i'm going with AD with ease because of his 2 way ability.

I completely understand someone picking Jokic because of availability which is valid but if both are healthy i'm rolling with AD every time. No doubt Jokic is a great player so I have no issues with anyone picking him instead just def. not the way i'd go.

The thing is, Jokic didnt have a chance to compete with a full squad yet. Murray and MPJ arent really superstars, but they are much better than current players and they take some burden off Jokic. The only time he had something like that was 2020 when they lost in 5 close games to us. But that was before his MVP years and Murray and Porter Jr were 22 and 21 still. Its true he hasnt proven he can win yet, but i cant blame him for going out against these Warriors without his best players. So i think youre partially right, but i give him the benefit of the doubt until next seasons playoffs

hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
hype wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
hype wrote:

The thing is, Jokic didnt have a chance to compete with a full squad yet. Murray and MPJ arent really superstars, but they are much better than current players and they take some burden off Jokic. The only time he had something like that was 2020 when they lost in 5 close games to us. But that was before his MVP years and Murray and Porter Jr were 22 and 21 still. Its true he hasnt proven he can win yet, but i cant blame him for going out against these Warriors without his best players. So i think youre partially right, but i give him the benefit of the doubt until next seasons playoffs

In 2020 Murray scored more then he did in the series with us and was pretty spectacular in the Playoffs overall (obviously Jokic is at another level now but they need at least that version of Murray again imo) so I agree if he comes back and they can be an interchangeable 1-2 again (at least scoring wise) with more experience then they can be a big problem depending on how the rest of the West stacks up going into the Playoffs next Season. I'm still not nearly as high on Jokic but I could fully understand how someone would be backing that team if everything goes there way next Season. If he then leads them to a Championship then I have no doubt people will be talking about Jokic as the possible best player in the NBA or at worst top 3-5 much like they were with AD after he won it all just 2 years ago. The tide can change real fast!

AD had that spectacular Playoffs a couple years before being traded to us as the #1 while delivering a big upset against the Blazers in extremely dominant fashion (47/10 in the closeout game) and then ran into the Prime Warriors and lost as well with a pretty mediocre overall roster.. Then he had which was basically a lost year while he was waiting to be traded.. The following year is when we won it all in 2020.

Then the following two years have clearly been a huge disappointment even beyond the injuries so if he doesn't come back with a vengeance next season while also not missing a huge chunk of games then you're looking at a guy that's suddenly hitting his 30's and is spiraling downwards while he then obviously drops off the map at that point regarding the best players in the NBA.

I just think some here are forgetting just how great he was those last few years with the Pelicans and the first year with us before these two injury riddled Seasons. He completely transforms an offense and defense which only Giannis can be compared too imo. I'm holding out hope he still has at least a few years of dominance like that left. Only time will tell at this point but I will agree it's very far from a sure thing, sadly.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject:

Poole's shooting at 22 years old is more efficient than AD.

And he's shooting from the perimeter not 2 feet away.

AD shot like 18% from three.

His first two playoff games in his career he scores 29 and 30 shooting like 80% TS as the third option.

Obviously he can't keep this up... but his seasonal stats are already elite efficiency.

The problem with people is they wait until the player is already considered a top ten player before they try to get them.

If AD is healthy... playing with swagger 80 games every season... sure you can say he's better than Poole.

But this injured version that plays timid is not better than Poole.

Ask Golden State... I bet they wouldn't trade him for AD or LBJ.

AD because he's hurt and LBJ because he's old.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

The problem with people is they wait until the player is already considered a top ten player before they try to get them.

Exactly. We aren’t winning a ring with Bron as our best player anymore and our only valuable trade asset is AD. Depending where GSW ends this year if it’s not a championship why wouldn’t they look to adding AD to steph, klay, dray.

We get Poole, Wiggins, wiseman, pick.

They get better and so do we.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

talent wise 11- 15, impact on wins and losses? outside of 20.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Exactly. We aren’t winning a ring with Bron as our best player anymore and our only valuable trade asset is AD. Depending where GSW ends this year if it’s not a championship why wouldn’t they look to adding AD to steph, klay, dray.

They don’t get better
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

They don’t get better

sure they do. Assuming AD is who some say he is.

Steph
Klay
Kuminga
AD
Green

is better than what they have.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
hype wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
hype wrote:

In 2020 Murray scored more then he did in the series with us and was pretty spectacular in the Playoffs overall (obviously Jokic is at another level now but they need at least that version of Murray again imo) so I agree if he comes back and they can be an interchangeable 1-2 again (at least scoring wise) with more experience then they can be a big problem depending on how the rest of the West stacks up going into the Playoffs next Season. I'm still not nearly as high on Jokic but I could fully understand how someone would be backing that team if everything goes there way next Season. If he then leads them to a Championship then I have no doubt people will be talking about Jokic as the possible best player in the NBA or at worst top 3-5 much like they were with AD after he won it all just 2 years ago. The tide can change real fast!

AD had that spectacular Playoffs a couple years before being traded to us as the #1 while delivering a big upset against the Blazers in extremely dominant fashion (47/10 in the closeout game) and then ran into the Prime Warriors and lost as well with a pretty mediocre overall roster.. Then he had which was basically a lost year while he was waiting to be traded.. The following year is when we won it all in 2020.

Then the following two years have clearly been a huge disappointment even beyond the injuries so if he doesn't come back with a vengeance next season while also not missing a huge chunk of games then you're looking at a guy that's suddenly hitting his 30's and is spiraling downwards while he then obviously drops off the map at that point regarding the best players in the NBA.

I just think some here are forgetting just how great he was those last few years with the Pelicans and the first year with us before these two injury riddled Seasons. He completely transforms an offense and defense which only Giannis can be compared too imo. I'm holding out hope he still has at least a few years of dominance like that left. Only time will tell at this point but I will agree it's very far from a sure thing, sadly.

I agree, AD is one of the all time playoff performers. If we dont factor in his games vs PHX where he played injured, it looks scary good: 28.6 10.7 2.8 1.4 1.9. However, this is on a smaller sample size than Jokic. Less games and less times did he play more than one round. AD made the playoffs 4 times, 2 times did he make it further than R1. Im not gonna go into quality of opponents, its just for putting the numbers into context. I also want to say that AD has declined recently, especially athletically. He used to be much quicker and harder to guard 1on1. Currently he looks much slower than his prime version should be. So hes not the same player like 2020 or 2018.

Jokic made it past the first round each time, this season will be an exception, he has more playoff games and he has greater sample size for his numbers: 25.9 11.2 6.4 1.0 0.9. 14th all time in playoff scoring, 30th in rebounding, 32nd in assists. And he is trending upwards, keep that in mind. Jokic was a late bloomer. He came into the league and was a 10ppg scorer on 7 shots, and 2 assists. He developed gradually, 4th year he became an allstar when he upped his scoring to 20ppg, and his assists to 7apg. Then in his MVP campaign he improved as a scorer on bigger volume, having higher %. Then this year hes 2nd in rebounding at 14 per game. And his assists are now 8 per game despite taking more shots. And you might disagree but hes a much improved defender as well. Maybe it doesnt show in shotblocking but its evident in watching him. I mean, im pretty sure hes gonna be even better next season, hes been like that every year so far. He has one weakness, which is his speed, so he can be taken advantage off on switches out on the perimeter. But his BBIQ, shooting, scoring, rebounding, passing, court vision, interior defense, no one in the leage has this combination of skills.

At the moment i only put him bellow Giannis. You can make a case for KD too. And also Doncic is closing in at fast speed. Then id have to think about who would be 5th, but as far as bigs, im giving Embiid currently the edge over AD. I hope AD can prove me wrong next season, because he definitely has potential to be in the conversation with those guys

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: