Is What's Best for LeBron James Also What's Best for LA Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Is What's Best for LeBron James Also What's Best for LA Lakers?

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport Is What's Best for LeBron James Also What's Best for LA Lakers? https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033080-is-whats-best-for-lebron-james-also-whats-best-for-la-lakers

Cheers,

EP
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject:

What odds do you put on the Lakers trading LeBron this summer?
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Somebody is talking about player development when they trade all the young guys that are not Klutch clients... LeBron needs to be traded while he still has value. This championship window with LeBron has closed and we need assets for the future

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject:

The championship window may or may not be closed. We don’t know for sure. Imo it’s premature to take that stance considering we just recently went through several years of tank-a-thon and would likely go through that again if we trade LeBron and/or AD. It would a disservice to us as fans to go through that again so soon if there is a reasonable chance to construct a contender.

I agree that it would be more torture if we went through another season like this one and then have to start the rebuild a year later than if we started it now, presumably with less trade value for our stars than now but....

I can’t handle another 4-6 years of what we just went through so recently...especially if there is a chance to compete for a title with the right moves.

Without the right moves...I’d have to concede to an immediate rebuild but I think the org owes the effort to at least explore the possibility of constructing a contender by offering deals that would create that opportunity. If deals are offered and all fall through so that we fail to create a contender then that would be the time to commit to a rebuild...that’s not where we are at right now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject:

"Myself and [agent] Rich [Paul] can't even begin to talk with [vice president of basketball operations] Rob [Pelinka] or the front office at all because of the collective bargaining agreement,"

so whats the big deal. they cant talk.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
The championship window may or may not be closed. We don’t know for sure. Imo it’s premature to take that stance considering we just recently went through several years of tank-a-thon and would likely go through that again if we trade LeBron and/or AD. It would a disservice to us as fans to go through that again so soon if there is a reasonable chance to construct a contender.

I agree that it would be more torture if we went through another season like this one and then have to start the rebuild a year later than if we started it now, presumably with less trade value for our stars than now but....

I can’t handle another 4-6 years of what we just went through so recently...especially if there is a chance to compete for a title with the right moves.

Without the right moves...I’d have to concede to an immediate rebuild but I think the org owes the effort to at least explore the possibility of constructing a contender by offering deals that would create that opportunity. If deals are offered and all fall through so that we fail to create a contender then that would be the time to commit to a rebuild...that’s not where we are at right now.
Whether it is building arond LBJ/AD (two HOFers) or rebuilding, it will always take "The Right Moves."

Jeanie always aims high - Championship Rings.

Laker fans have always NOT appreciate or understand "The Process" to "Rebuild." Lakers had Zubac, Nance, BI, Hart, Kuzma, Randle, Lorenzo Ball, Caruso, DLo and others that have thrived outside the glare/scrutiny of LaLaLand. Are any of them (at this time) bonafide superstars - nope (acknowledging that all these players will have long careers with a few seasons where they will shine brighter).

Will Jeanie approved the appropriate contract to get a strong Head Coach, since they didn't in the past - surprisingly, though they have paid for Assistant Head Coaches

For those that are advocating for a Rebuild, will you be patient for 3-4 years of a team with young players needing to make their mistakes that results in medicore records - history have shown that Laker fans will not. Which of the players that the Lakers drafted (see above) would be in the Starting Lineup - maybe BI, but he wouldn't get the touches like Kuzma didn't?

The Lakers draft choices would be part of a good bench for a championship team or part of the starting lineup of a 2nd/3rd tier NBA team that hopes to get into the playoffs and make some noise

Championship Ring was worth all the trials and tribulations
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

slim, very slim
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
"Myself and [agent] Rich [Paul] can't even begin to talk with [vice president of basketball operations] Rob [Pelinka] or the front office at all because of the collective bargaining agreement,"

Teams and agents/players talk before they're legally allowed to - that's just how the NBA operates. Case and point - Rich and the Bulls prenegotiated the Lonzo deal to Chicago and the NBA fined the Bulls a pick for it
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Teams and agents/players talk before they're legally allowed to - that's just how the NBA operates. Case and point - Rich and the Bulls prenegotiated the Lonzo deal to Chicago and the NBA fined the Bulls a pick for it

I get that but it doesn't seem like something that is usually made public, but I could be wrong.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

slim, very slim

Too bad..

I believe it would behoove the Lakers to begin an immediate rebuild. Try to deal for as many picks/young players/assets they can possibly acquire.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
emplay wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I get that but it doesn't seem like something that is usually made public, but I could be wrong.

LeBron saying that was LeBron saying that to the public - what's actually happening is something else. I don' believe hey've negotiated yet - but it's something the Lakers will try to get clarity on before they have to make any decisions. But they may not get clarity from LBJ
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject:

Something else I published:

Latest @SportsBizClass Ja Morant, Zion Williamson, Jordan Poole Headline Extension Eligible Rookie-Scale Players (Darius Garland, too) https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/ja-morant-zion-williamson-jordan-poole-headline-extension-eligible-rookie-scale-players/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

slim, very slim

Too bad..

I believe it would behoove the Lakers to begin an immediate rebuild. Try to deal for as many picks/young players/assets they can possibly acquire.

To be fair to Emplay, I believe no one right now has any clue what’s gonna happen with LeBron, if he signs the extension then he’s obviously committing to the Organization but if he doesn’t then the talk of him getting traded is gonna get loud
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
daytripper wrote:
emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
slim, very slim
Too bad..

To be fair to Emplay, I believe no one right now has any clue what’s gonna happen with LeBron, if he signs the extension then he’s obviously committing to the Organization but if he doesn’t then the talk of him getting traded is gonna get loud
Rebuild is not in the cards for the Lakers or Laker fans, unless one like having the biggest day of the season being the day the ping pong balls determine the order and the draft. If one likes medicore teams for a few seasons, then being a Clipper fan might be good.

LBJ/AD brought a ring, they can make this team a legitimate contender with the right moves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject:

LeBron would only go to a contender if traded. Which contender would be willing to take LeBron just for a year and give up decent players?
GS - Draymond plus Wiseman and a FRP? maybe actually, a Steph-Poole-Klay-Bron-Kuminga is a sick line up and I would have them as the favorite next year
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:22 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LeBron would only go to a contender if traded. Which contender would be willing to take LeBron just for a year and give up decent players?
GS - Draymond plus Wiseman and a FRP? maybe actually, a Steph-Poole-Klay-Bron-Kuminga is a sick line up and I would have them as the favorite next year

Other than Cleveland, GS makes sense. Their core is aging and might feel a sense of emergency. Wiggins has an expiring contract, as LBJ does, and might be too expensive for GS to resign. GS is paying lux tax and has Poole extension on the horizon. Wiggins+ Wieseman, who is out of favor, for LBJ is certainly an upgrade for next season for them.

If LBJ picks GS, this could work.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
daytripper wrote:
emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
slim, very slim
Too bad..

Rebuild is not in the cards for the Lakers or Laker fans, unless one like having the biggest day of the season being the day the ping pong balls determine the order and the draft. If one likes medicore teams for a few seasons, then being a Clipper fan might be good.

LBJ/AD brought a ring, they can make this team a legitimate contender with the right moves.

Per hoopshype, the team have the following to work work with

Westbrook 47M
LBJ 44.49M
AD 37.98M
THT 10.26M
Nunn 5.25M
Stanley Johnson 2.35M (team option)
Austin Reaves 1.56M
Wenyen Gabriel 1.87M (team option)

AD is the only one signed after 2023.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/los_angeles_lakers/

They also have taxpayer MLE at around 6M, and can trade 2027, 2029 FRPs.

What "right moves" do you have in mind?

I expect them to postpone the rebuild at least for one year. My hope is they do not trade more future picks or acquire big, bad, long contracts.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
daytripper wrote:
emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
slim, very slim
Too bad..

To be fair I'm talking about a 1-2 year rebuild where the Lakers are right back in the FA market in '23 and '24. I'd much rather be rooting for hungry players that the scouting department brings in next season than another year of the JRT. This team used to be an escape but now it's just torture to watch the games. I prefer they not waste anymore future draft capitol to prop up the current mess.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
daytripper wrote:
emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
slim, very slim
Too bad..

To be fair I'm talking about a 1-2 year rebuild where the Lakers are right back in the FA market in '23 and '24. I'd much rather be rooting for hungry players that the scouting department brings in next season than another year of the JRT. This team used to be an escape but now it's just torture to watch the games. I prefer they not waste anymore future draft capitol to prop up the current mess.
1-2 year plan is "retooling" not rebuilding since it will take rookies at least 2-3 years to start realizing their potential while adding veterans (see Pelicans to 76ers to many other examples. How many FAs in '23 and '24 (https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/future_free_agents) would want to play for a team that is not a legitimate title-contending team - not many.

Amazing how a 1-2 year plan becomes a 3-5 year plan. Consider the young players that we drafted and how many prominent FAs they would have attracted. They might be part of a package to get a top FA (hello AD) hence repeating a process that we started a few years ago.
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:20 am    Post subject:

LOL. The ship has sailed for a championship. LeBron and AD showed how age and injuries speeds up the decline in one's game. Trust me, no matter what they do this off-season, Lakers play won't be pretty. The league sees blood and we will continue to get blown out like we did next season. This roster needs overhauling completely and a renewed attitude. Unfortunately, that's going to take years to construct and get lucky in the draft. All goliaths eventually have their fall. We witnessed it this season. Plain and simple
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
daytripper wrote:
emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

slim, very slim

Too bad..

Sam Amick reported that Bron may be leaning towards staying - but on 1-yr deals. I checked with Klutch on that, and the answer was, they haven't discussed any of all that yet.

My main point - the Lakers need clarity to really do what they need to do - and going year-by-year is problematic potentially
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
daytripper wrote:
emplay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

slim, very slim

Too bad..

Sam Amick reported that Bron may be leaning towards staying - but on 1-yr deals. I checked with Klutch on that, and the answer was, they haven't discussed any of all that yet.

My main point - the Lakers need clarity to really do what they need to do - and going year-by-year is problematic potentially

It’s problematic because if he does 1 year deals he’s gonna want to have a in put and voice on who the FO should go after and that would be a non starter and a disaster, love LeBron but the Lakers wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t at least field trade offers for LeBron this summer.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:

LOL. The ship has sailed for a championship. LeBron and AD showed how age and injuries speeds up the decline in one's game. Trust me, no matter what they do this off-season, Lakers play won't be pretty. The league sees blood and we will continue to get blown out like we did next season. This roster needs overhauling completely and a renewed attitude. Unfortunately, that's going to take years to construct and get lucky in the draft. All goliaths eventually have their fall. We witnessed it this season. Plain and simple
With a HEALTHY Kyrie and KD being swept, is there “Blood in the Water” for the Nets since the league has seen how to effectively shut them/limit their effectiveness in the playoffs

If the Lakers surround AD and Lebron with players that will limit the MPG to between 30-35 MPG during the regular season, who knows what will happen

BI’s emergence as a legitimate star highlights the question - would Laker fans have the patience to wait for him. Obvious answer is no No NO.

Last season probably highlighted LBJ’s skill as a leader. This HOFer didn’t inspire the veterans he brought in to play at their maximum effort and there were issues of him connecting/working with Russ that was surprising

Time for LBJ - The Leader - to show up next season

Time for Rob to step up to listen to LBJ, but make the right player decisions
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

<snip>
Last season probably highlighted LBJ’s skill as a leader. This HOFer didn’t inspire the veterans he brought in to play at their maximum effort and there were issues of him connecting/working with Russ that was surprising

What about the prior season? Did LBJ inspire the veterans on the team that season? Veterans like Rondo, Howard, Dudley, Green?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

<snip>

What about the prior season? Did LBJ inspire the veterans on the team that season? Veterans like Rondo, Howard, Dudley, Green?
Answer is yes, along with being inspired that season because of the tragic passing of The Black Mamba

Fascinating that three of the teammates you mentioned are no longer on the team

Noteworthy that the Lakers n

Note the words of past veteran teammates - Rondo & Morris, who provided championship leadership and wanted to be Lakers

Bazemore, Ellington, Ariza and DJ put in a good day’s work to earn their minimum contracts with little concerns or urgency to win a RING.

Westbrook seemingly put in the effort to get great stats, which was more important than getting a ring. Isn’t it strange that a very athletic basketball player that will probably go into the Hall of Fame couldn’t have an average shooting percentage and was proactive in finding out how to work with LBJ/AD

Did we just witness a player who assumed that they would be given the keys of the team without earning them (hello to D12’s first season with the Lakers).

Will Westbrook learn from his fellow HOFer or continue placing a higher priority in his stats via “Letting Russ be Russ.”
Will Westbrook understand that the Lakers start with LBJ and AD (hello Kyrie Irving)
Will Westbrook learn from fellow HOFers Kobe and Pau on how quickly they learned how to play with each other (less than one game).
Will Westbrook learn from The Mailman and The Glove on how they were initially successful with the Lakers (until Malone got injured)
Will Westbrook learn from the KD/Kyrie debacle
Will Westbrook from what has been happening to Harden
~ Sadly, the answer might be “no.”

Rondo Comments
“Out there with teammates that care and want to win, just playing hard."
-
Granted, this is an aggregation since Westbrook was never mentioned by name, but it’s not a stretch that Rondo’s statement relates to his frustration with Russ’s approach to the game.

Russ’s effort is unquestionable, but his style of play has been picked apart for years. Westbrook prioritizing his stats over wins has been a common critique of his game by executives and players alike. Russ’s uneven play has been a motif in the Lakers disappointing season so far.
https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/lakers-rajon-rondo-takes-a-dig-at-russell-westbrook-ee21

“I see myself as a guy that I can get back to my old self, just playing the game the right way, not having to look over my shoulder. I feel like we have nobody on the team like just, ‘give him the ball, and then everybody just watch and let them make the play.’ It’s a collective.”
-
Morris is careful not to mention LeBron James by name, but it's clearly who this jab is aimed at. It is curious that he doesn't mention James' name. It is interesting for a Morris, who with his brother allegedly assaulted a former mentor, and who once threw a towel at a coach after a disagreement during a season in which he kept demanding a trade, to criticize the culture of a team where he won a championship.
https://www.si.com/https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/ex-laker-markieff-morris-takes-a-subtle-verbal-jab-at-lebron-james-and-la nba/lakers/news/ex-laker-markieff-morris-takes-a-subtle-verbal-jab-at-lebron-james-and-la

Sidebar: Since Westbrook has deleted all his IG pictures with the Lakers, Rockets and Wizards, leaving only his OKC pictures
If Westbrook gets traded to OKC
Presti trading Westbrook to the Rockets for Chris Paul, two-first-round picks and two pick swaps three years ago, trading Paul for another first-rounder, and then getting at least one more first for taking Westbrook back before the contract Presti originally traded him on has even expired.
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2022/4/26/23042884/russell-westbrook-deletes-instagram-posts-referencing-lakers-rockets-wizards-thunder-trade-rumors
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: