Thank you MALIK MONK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Sad the Lakers spent $10 mill a year on THT or $10 mill for 2 years on Nunn.
Monk is the one who is worth both of those guys at this point.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Malik Monk: It's not about the money, it's about feeling at home

“Rob (Pelinka) and Frank (Vogel) were the first people to call me as soon as free agency hit,” Monk said, “and they told me this exact picture that happened this year for how they see me playing and it worked out perfect with that aspect, so I just thank those guys for that.

“I love being here, man. I love playing in this atmosphere and of course would love to come back and not do this(have a losing season) again.”

Fortunately for the Lakers, Monk isn’t entering free agency simply looking for the top offer.

"With a little money or more money, it’s just really me feeling at home at the end of the day."

“I mean, the money matters, but I know what I can do on the court and I can go out there and earn that,” Monk continued. “I think I proved that, so it’s just me feeling at home and wanted.”

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2022/4/12/23022357/nba-free-agency-malik-monk-lakers-return-offseason-free-agency-los-angeles-contract-value-salary

Don't blow this, Lakers...

SIGN HIM!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Money matters is the understatement of the year.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Monk figures to be a mid-level exception player, at worst, on the open market and could fetch a deal in the three-year, $32 million (or four year, $45 million) range, according to sources around the league. He could make some of that back by signing with the Lakers the following summer, when the Lakers can pay him a mid-level deal themselves. But it would cost Monk up-front money and put him at enormous injury risk.

One league executive said that Monk, who has often mentioned he had no offers last summer except the Lakers, will not have that problem again because there figure to be at least four teams in the hunt for Monk this summer, besides L.A.

“The team to watch, if he is going to leave the Lakers which he obviously should, is the Knicks,” the GM said. “They had interest in him last year, and some of it might depend on what happens with Evan Fournier, do they keep him or move him? But that is a team that needs talent, needs shooters and Monk will be a good value even at the mid-level.”

But there were two other Eastern Conference teams that came up: Chicago and Cleveland. “The Bulls need shooting, as much as they identify as a midrange team,” he said. “They have got to find shooters. It’s 2022, you need 3s. And Cleveland, they’re going to look to make an impact in free agency. They could use a shooter, too.”

In the Western Conference, the interest might be more limited. “Dallas, I would look out for them,” the GM said. “They need to create flexibility but once they do, they would have an interest in a guy like Monk.”

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-knicks/malik-monk-free-agent-lakers-nba-rumors/

srekal2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

Keeper!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Dallas is a tax team so I'm less worried about them. The others are certainly interesting especially if Fournier ends up with us that compels the Knicks to pursue Monk aggressively and us less so. I'm glad Monk seems to have found a home here but I have to say that with a coaching change there's more uncertainty. If Vogel was staying I think Monk would be more inclined to give us a slight discount. If he gets full multi-year MLE offers elsewhere then I wish him the best because I think that's an overpay for us.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Monk is nice, but he's looking for a big payday, like 10M+ per year long term deal, i doubt that's within Lakers' price range. Monk had a solid season because rest of the team just plain suck, so he was like a bright star amongst everyone besides LeBron and AD, but his lack of size is really a concern. he's too small to play 30+ mins at starting SG, and he's not a natural PG. not sure what to think about him this summer.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject:

There is no "BUT" when it comes to keeping Monk right now.

Do NOT be cheap. The guy wants to be here, sign him and bring him back.

Stop looking for a team of 15 over 6'7 Kawhi Leonard's.

Monk is something the team would SORELY miss if they didn't re-sign him.

Now 's not the time to be cheap or get on the "But he's not a 6'8 defensive player of the year offensive juggernaut" trains. Keep him at all costs.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Without trying to sound contentious, what are you seeing from him this year that turns him from a player that struggled to get minimum offers to someone that we should keep at all costs? His numbers are comparable to his last year with Charlotte and he's doing it on a borderline lottery team. I'll admit I'm surprised by his highlight-reel moments on D and his playmaking ability but without having watched him play in Charlotte, was that something that wasn't apparent before in Charlotte?

I understand what some may perceive as an obsession with two-way wings but the fact is that we don't have any whereas we already have 3 rotation-worthy guards. If we somehow convert Russ and/or other assets to at least 2 two-way wings I wouldn't be as opposed to giving Monk the full MLE but until then...
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Yea I'll be surprised if he gets more than mle next year from a contender... I don't think he had made that kind of jump compare to last year at all.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
^^^ Without trying to sound contentious, what are you seeing from him this year that turns him from a player that struggled to get minimum offers to someone that we should keep at all costs? His numbers are comparable to his last year with Charlotte and he's doing it on a borderline lottery team. I'll admit I'm surprised by his highlight-reel moments on D and his playmaking ability but without having watched him play in Charlotte, was that something that wasn't apparent before in Charlotte?

I understand what some may perceive as an obsession with two-way wings but the fact is that we don't have any whereas we already have 3 rotation-worthy guards. If we somehow convert Russ and/or other assets to at least 2 two-way wings I wouldn't be as opposed to giving Monk the full MLE but until then...

Instant scoring off the bench, pairs well with lebron and AD, if our next coach is not stupid enough to put him on opposing team’s best guards, he will be an asset. MMLE is a very good price for him
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
^^^ Yea I'll be surprised if he gets more than mle next year from a contender... I don't think he had made that kind of jump compare to last year at all.

MMLE is fair price to pay for him, and I think we keep him with that for 1 year and go for bigger contract next year
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:19 am    Post subject:

We have come to a new low where we have to hold our breath and hope Monk stays put. Unfortunately, he is that important for us next season.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject:

I think a 1+1 MMLE is a reasonable price to pay, just not the full MLE should we manage to free it up. For argument's sake if you had a choice between Monk and Otto Porter Jr for the MMLE, who would you take?
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

Lot of groupthink among league execs, and Monk has been boneheaded enough to cause them to shy away. But he’s only 24 with a lot of game.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Malik Monk says he doesn’t care about starting or coming off the bench moving forward

“Not really man,” Monk said. “It’s whatever the team wants me to do. I’m comfortable with whatever they want me to do.”

There were pretty minimal differences between Monk’s statistics off the bench versus as a starter. He was a marginally better field goal shooter off the bench — barely one percent — but did shoot 7.3 percent better from the 3-point line as a starter.

As a result, when looking at his per-36 minute averages, Monk averaged 3.2 points more per-36 minutes as a starter versus a reserve, That is effectively the only difference in stats, aside from +/- in which Monk had a higher average as a reserve.

Overall, Monk was productive no matter what his role was this season and, as a result, will have many suitors on the free agent market this season. That won’t change his mindset heading into the offseason and a new season overall.

“I really feel about the same man,” Monk said, “because I don’t want to get too high on myself and feel like I deserve something way more than I do so I’ll just come in like I did last year, like I had no offers, so I can work a little harder than I did and just try to get way more all-around with everything.”
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2022/4/21/23035016/malik-monk-lakers-starter-bench-sixth-man-lebron-james

Re-Sign.. Him....
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

“I mean, the money matters,

The most important thing he said. buried but the key.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I think a 1+1 MMLE is a reasonable price to pay, just not the full MLE should we manage to free it up. For argument's sake if you had a choice between Monk and Otto Porter Jr for the MMLE, who would you take?

How can we free up the Fmle? I thought we free it up since we traded Harrell and his contract ends this season?
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Hes saying the right things. I think if he signed with us, hed expect us to pay him next summer. Woukd you guys do it? Im not sure, on a low salary is a asset. If he eats into the cap he loses some value

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
There is no "BUT" when it comes to keeping Monk right now.

Do NOT be cheap. The guy wants to be here, sign him and bring him back.

Stop looking for a team of 15 over 6'7 Kawhi Leonard's.

Monk is something the team would SORELY miss if they didn't re-sign him.

Now 's not the time to be cheap or get on the "But he's not a 6'8 defensive player of the year offensive juggernaut" trains. Keep him at all costs.

If they couldn't keep Caruso, they definitely won't be keeping Monk. It's all about saving money and with LeBron and AD on payroll, can't afford anything else otherwise they are handcuffed by salary cap penalty, which Jeanie won't pay. So expect Monk to sign probably with the Bulls and join Caruso lol
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject:

Monk is gone, guaranteed! I predict LeBron will sign a 2 year extension and they will eventually look to deal AD and bring in some younger and less injury prone talent. However, we won't win another chip for quite a while. After LeBron leaves the Lakers in a couple years, we will have money to sign or trade for Jayson Tatum at some point.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:47 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see Monk back. But if they do free up the full MLE, they may be faced with a situation where Monk is going to cost the full MLE, but they might feel they could get a better player for the same money.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

What’s the most the lakers could offer Monk, say ignoring the luxury tax?

Just curious.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
gng930 wrote:

How can we free up the Fmle? I thought we free it up since we traded Harrell and his contract ends this season?

You free it up by getting far enough under the apron (~$155 million) so that you can use the Fmle ($~10 million) and still stay under the apron. So you're talking about getting your payroll down to the low 140s. We're already above $160 million with our current contracts (including Russ and Nunn opting in) and the handful of players you'd still need to fill out a full roster. The most likely routes to get that far under the Apron would be to trade Russ and maybe Nunn/THT for less salary coming back or to waive/stretch Russ. Have fun .
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject:

I don’t think that Monk coming back or leaving will change next season’s outcome very much. He shot well at times but couldn’t defend and made his share of unforced turnovers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 26 of 31
Jump to: