Best Lakers Championship Team
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Best Lakers Championship Team

I was re-watching a documentary on the 1986-87 Lakers team. What a beautiful squad. That just got me thinking, what do we consider as the best Lakers teams all-time? Here are my candidates:

1986-87: Magic/Worthy/KAJ, with Byron/AC/Coop/Thompson off the bench. I think this is such a versatile and deep team.

2000-01: Shaq/Kobe. Nuff' said with that dynamic duo.

1984-85: younger version of that 86-87 team (in terms of Magic/Worth/KAJ).

2009-10: Kobe/Pau, with really strong role support in guys like Odom, Artest, Fisher, Bynum, etc. Nostalgically, one of my favorite teams, especially b/c we beat the Celtics.

1981-82: an earlier iteration of Showtime with Nixon/Wilkes joining Magic/KAJ.

1971-72: an aging Wilt, but dominant duo of West/Goodrich in the backcourt.

My personal top two (in order) are the 1986-87 squad, then 2000-01.

What are yours, and am I missing some?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject:

I really enjoyed the 08-09 championship, because I felt like I had watched those guys grow up, even if they weren’t originally drafted as Lakers. And it was redemption for the season before when we were so close.

I enjoyed the 09-10 season too, but I felt that by then the team was probably past its peak.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject:

Easily 1986/87 but most here probably only know Shaq and Kobe era

Last edited by AD23 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject:

I'd go with '53, even though Fort Wayne took us to the limit in the division finals. George, Slater, and Vern really brought down the hammer in game five. The Knicks never had a chance in the Finals, even if Ernie Vandeweghe was a pest.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

2000-2001, Shaq was the most dominant force I have seen in the league. That playoff run is legendary. The fact that they somewhat coasted during the regular season and people said they were done made the playoffs more special.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I'd go with '53, even though Fort Wayne took us to the limit in the division finals. George, Slater, and Vern really brought down the hammer in game five. The Knicks never had a chance in the Finals, even if Ernie Vandeweghe was a pest.

I feel like you're speaking in a completely different language.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2000-2001, Shaq was the most dominant force I have seen in the league. That playoff run is legendary. The fact that they somewhat coasted during the regular season and people said they were done made the playoffs more special.

The dismantling of the Spurs that year in the WCF was like watching a cheetah take down a gazelle. And Kobe was brilliant that series.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The dismantling of the Spurs that year in the WCF was like watching a cheetah take down a gazelle. And Kobe was brilliant that series.

Quick playlist.

WCF G1 G2 G3 G4
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject:

2001 Lakers was the dominate team I have ever seen. Also the year of Kobe’s true emergence as a superstar and one of the best players in the league already. While also paired up with arguably the best in the league in with Shaq.

The greatest duo of all time. I can only imagine how much more dominate they would be today. Even if you doubled team Shaq, he was great at kicking out the open man. Can’t double Kobe either and if you do try to guard those two tightly, they get wide open looks to their 3 point shooters and beat you that way.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I feel like you're speaking in a completely different language.

Oh, come on. We beat the Indianapolis so badly in the first round that the Olympians never played another game. Sure, Magic, Shaq, and Kobe won titles, but did they ever send an opponent into oblivion?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

I know people clown on the bubble, but I really enjoyed the 2019-20 playoffs run. Not saying it was the best, but there was so much emotions that year that I really appreciated it.

I enjoyed the defensive schemes. The adjustments made after game 1 losses. I wish the AD game winner was at Staples. It would have been on the Horry level.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Wow!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

Our 84 team was the best either though we did not win a championship. We should have swept the Celts that year if it was not for Big Play having a brain fart in game #2 and DJ hitting a lucky shot in game #4.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

The Glory of the 1953 Title
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I go with the '50 team. I just think Kundla did his best coaching that year. Granted, Slater Martin was a rookie, and not the Slater Martin we all came to know. But Jim Pollard was at his peak then.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Best championship team? That 50's team might have been dominant for it's time, that is worthy of respect, and I'm partial to how dominant of an athlete and player Wilt Chamberlain was as well, but for best team I'd have to go with:

1-3) every iteration of Showtime
4) 2001 Shaq/Kobe
5) Wilt/West '71
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

2001 Lakers - Absolute dominance.

1985 Lakers - Exorcising demons from decades of coming up short vs Celtics

The Lakers were still looking to defeat the Boston Celtics in the Finals for the first time ever. Over a span of 25 years, Lakers had yet to beat their rivals in the Finals: 1959, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, and 1984.

On the ninth meeting in the Finals, it didn’t start off well, some of us still remember the Memorial Day Massacre with the Celtics winning 148-114 in Game 1. Lakers fought back to go into Boston up 3-2 in the series. In Game 6, Lakers finally defeated the hated Celtics *in* Boston 111-100, 38-year-old Cap was Finals MVP.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I go with the '50 team. I just think Kundla did his best coaching that year. Granted, Slater Martin was a rookie, and not the Slater Martin we all came to know. But Jim Pollard was at his peak then.

I can see your argument. They sent the Chicago Stags to oblivion, then later they sent the Anderson Packers to oblivion. Frankie Brian had a good year for the Pack, though he wasn’t an all-star yet. Then they took down Syracuse in the Finals even though Dolph Schayes and Johnny Macknowski were lighting it up. Big George averaged 32.2 in the Finals. That’s domination.

Okay, you changed my mind.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Don’t think any Laker team had it together like the 87 team.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Our 84 team was the best either though we did not win a championship. We should have swept the Celts that year if it was not for Big Play having a brain fart in game #2 and DJ hitting a lucky shot in game #4.

The 89 team was the best team that didn’t win. Thought it was their deepest team. Riley going off the rails did them in with injuries to Byron and Magic.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

So you're saying you are 137 years old

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

So you're saying you are 137 years old

I still have my I Like Ike button.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject:

You could take a NBA All Star Team and they aren't beating the 2001 Lakers in a playoff series.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
You could take a NBA All Star Team and they aren't beating the 2001 Lakers in a playoff series.

What about the Durant Warriors?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject:

For me personally it's '87 because that was when my Laker love began, but honestly I think the '01 team would beat all others.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: