Best Lakers Championship Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject:

'86-'87 was when I flipped the switch from being a general Lakers fan born in a Lakers family to being a Lakers fan in my own right. That was just a magical time I went to the parade just everything.

'2009/10 was just... to this day I still get emotional when I watch those last 11 seconds of that game.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
You could take a NBA All Star Team and they aren't beating the 2001 Lakers in a playoff series.

What about the Durant Warriors?

4-0, LA.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject:

2001 imo. Prime Shaq and elite Kobe is just unfair

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Im forever rollin with Shaq and Kobe.

Experienced that dominance firsthand.

That threepeat ride after them getting swept out the playoffs for like 3 straight years was beyond special.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Easily 1986/87 but most here probably only know Shaq and Kobe era

I would take that team over any team in NBA history. But the following year is my favorite. You had Pat Riley's guarantee at the parade. So much was made about the difficulties of winning back to back. Besides for the 1st rd against the Spurs, every rd after were 7 game nail biters. Utah, Dallas, Detroit. It is ingrained in me. Like it happened yesterday.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject:

Sounds like 86/87 and 00/01 Lakers teams are the frontrunners here.

The other two teams that are usually mentioned in best all time teams are the Warriors (with KD) and pick any of the MJ/Pippen teams.

How do the 86/87 and 00/01 teams match up with them?

Personally, I think the 86/87 team fares better b/c it was so deep and had many versatile players. Granted, 00/01 Lakers probably had the superstar power, and some decent depth, but I like the 86/87 squad better.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject:

86/87 easily. The best team ever. Too deep for any of the Kobe/Shaq teams.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject:

There isn't a lot of footage of the glorious 1950 Finals, but here is footage of Bob Harrison's immortal buzzer beater:

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:

Agree. I saw 80s teams and they were unreal prime shaq punishes them and Kobe could not be checked.

Bubble is clearly the worst
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Agree. I saw 80s teams and they were unreal prime shaq punishes them and Kobe could not be checked.

Why is the 2020 team the worst? You had an insane duo of LBJ/AD, with a deep bench and great role players.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Why is the 2020 team the worst? You had an insane duo of LBJ/AD, with a deep bench and great role players.

You look at the gauntlet the other teams had to run through vs. that teams.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

I remember reading a LOT of NBA pundits saying that the Blazers would upset us, then the Rox. The Nuggets team was VERY good with Jokic/Murray/Grant. They gave us a run for the money. That HEAT team was very good but ran out of gas and Bam was hurt a few games (and Dragic).

You have to be more specific about what the other Lakers championship teams faced, but I don't fault a team at all for the competition they went up against. They can only beat who is in front of them.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

I remember reading a LOT of NBA pundits saying that the Blazers would upset us, then the Rox. The Nuggets team was VERY good with Jokic/Murray/Grant. They gave us a run for the money. That HEAT team was very good but ran out of gas and Bam was hurt a few games (and Dragic).

You have to be more specific about what the other Lakers championship teams faced, but I don't fault a team at all for the competition they went up against. They can only beat who is in front of them.

More specific? Go up and down rosters without recency bias. That’s first then you have brittle brow who played center who also gets rag dolled by far lesser going against shaq. Then you have old bron against prime Kobe. Right there is a sweep.

Now give that lakers team the luxury of no travel, a 4th month break . They decimated far better defenses plus they were way more physical. Horry would have made Kuz irrelevant. The list is long.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

More specific? Go up and down rosters without recency bias. That’s first then you have brittle brow who played center who also gets rag dolled by far lesser going against shaq. Then you have old bron against prime Kobe. Right there is a sweep.

Now give that lakers team the luxury of no travel, a 4th month break . They decimated far better defenses plus they were way more physical. Horry would have made Kuz irrelevant. The list is long.

You're all over the place here. I didn't even list the 19-20 team on my personal list. No one said that they would beat the 00-01 Lakers. If that's the measuring stick, nearly all the other championships may fail that test too.

These championships have to be measured independently. 19-20 LBJ/AD was one of the best historic duos. Now, it didn't pan out long term, but that season, they were amongst the best duos ever.

I get that your life's mission on LG is to tear down any praise of LBJ/AD, but let's be a bit objective, no? The Bubble leveled the playing fields. You don't think Lakers would have a tremendous home court advantage with Staples? Have you watched Staples during a championship run? It's an amazing place.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

You're all over the place here. I didn't even list the 19-20 team on my personal list. No one said that they would beat the 00-01 Lakers. If that's the measuring stick, nearly all the other championships may fail that test too.

These championships have to be measured independently. 19-20 LBJ/AD was one of the best historic duos. Now, it didn't pan out long term, but that season, they were amongst the best duos ever.

I get that your life's mission on LG is to tear down any praise of LBJ/AD, but let's be a bit objective, no? The Bubble leveled the playing fields. You don't think Lakers would have a tremendous home court advantage with Staples? Have you watched Staples during a championship run? It's an amazing place.

Level the playing? Ok. So put any other laker champion in the bubble against bron and AD and bron and ad are ringless as lakers. Man for man bron ad get smoked by any other laker Champion even Kobe pau.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

Again, you are ALL over the place. What is your point? That they didn't win a championship? Or that they don't beat every other champion in history? Or just the Lakers championship teams? Pick one.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

2010... On my 30th bday
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject:

86/87 easily was best (really any of the 80’s showtime teams). The 71/72 team was a monster as well. These were teams that played as teams better than anyone else… ever (Golden State and Boston had a couple of these as well). It wasn’t about individual greatness, even though they had some of the best all time players. It was about playing as perfectly as a team as possible.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject:

Found this great article.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-lakers-championship-teams-where-2019-20-lebron-james-anthony-davis-squad-fits-into-storied-franchise/

They rank the 19-20 Lakers championship as #6 of all the Lakers championships.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how time treats this team given the unique bubble situation, but the duo of James and Davis is right up there with prime Kobe-Shaq and Magic-Kareem. This team was dominant, though the net rating is a little deceiving, thanks to two blowouts in the Finals. What really puts them behind some of the others is the lack of depth. Caldwell-Pope had a great playoff run, but he, 34-year-old Rajon Rondo, Kyle Kuzma, Danny Green and Alex Caruso don't quite stack up to some of the supporting casts that rank higher on this list.

I didn't even include them on MY list. But others who are less emotionally-driven about LBJ/AD seem to think they should be given some credit.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-lakers-championship-teams-where-2019-20-lebron-james-anthony-davis-squad-fits-into-storied-franchise/

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how time treats this team given the unique bubble situation, but the duo of James and Davis is right up there with prime Kobe-Shaq and Magic-Kareem. This team was dominant, though the net rating is a little deceiving, thanks to two blowouts in the Finals. What really puts them behind some of the others is the lack of depth. Caldwell-Pope had a great playoff run, but he, 34-year-old Rajon Rondo, Kyle Kuzma, Danny Green and Alex Caruso don't quite stack up to some of the supporting casts that rank higher on this list.

I didn't even include them on MY list. But others who are less emotionally-driven about LBJ/AD seem to think they should be given some credit.

They get credit for circumstance especially Vogel and spoelstra for keeping their team focused. But players have come out and said they were uninterested. Bron AD were smart. They knew this was their only chance.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

They get credit for circumstance especially Vogel and spoelstra for keeping their team focused. But players have come out and said they were uninterested. Bron AD were smart. They knew this was their only chance.

Every championship can have a "circumstance" attached to it. Do the Raps get dinged b/c KD/Klay got hurt?

Or the Warriors b/c they got KD to join a loaded 3 superstar team? Or how about pre-KD b/c LBJ lost Kyrie/Love in the Finals?

In this case, the Bubble made every team a co-equal. No one had home court or any advantage. And if you're excusing teams that didn't have the mental fortitude to persist and win, then that's not on the Lakers.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

Every championship can have a "circumstance" attached to it. Do the Raps get dinged b/c KD/Klay got hurt?

Or the Warriors b/c they got KD to join a loaded 3 superstar team? Or how about pre-KD b/c LBJ lost Kyrie/Love in the Finals?

In this case, the Bubble made every team a co-equal. No one had home court or any advantage. And if you're excusing teams that didn't have the mental fortitude to persist and win, then that's not on the Lakers.

So we’re not comparing them to just past lakers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

Lol, did you even read my OP? I didn't list the 19-20 Lakers as my top Lakers championship squad. But that goes to show how blessed Lakers fans are. It is not meant to diminish the 19-20 championship, but to show how strong of teams we have had in the past.

I just don't understand why you walk around ashamed of the 19-20 championship. I will never understand that as a Lakers fan. Sure, there were unique circumstances, but it applied to all teams and that is a banner I am proud to see hung up in the rafters.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Whoever believed that didn't understand basketball. James and Davis are both better and bigger than either of those teams. We were the best team in the WC that year, only the clippers would have made it a series

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

Lol, did you even read my OP? I didn't list the 19-20 Lakers as my top Lakers championship squad. But that goes to show how blessed Lakers fans are. It is not meant to diminish the 19-20 championship, but to show how strong of teams we have had in the past.

I just don't understand why you walk around ashamed of the 19-20 championship. I will never understand that as a Lakers fan. Sure, there were unique circumstances, but it applied to all teams and that is a banner I am proud to see hung up in the rafters.

I know. I volunteered my best and for extra credit gave my worst.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: