Jay Wright retiring from Villanova

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Jay Wright retiring from Villanova

He's the guy I've been wanting to be Laker head coach for a while. Is he retiring for good or is he retiring from Nova? hmmmm

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1516915441624662016?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Josh Hart, Jalen Brunson, Mikal Bridges... Villanova churns out some of the toughest players in the NBA. Wright is a great coach, but I would think he's done at age 60.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject:

At 60 i believe he has some years left in the tank still. I dont think however the Lakers even consider him

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
At 60 i believe he has some years left in the tank still. I dont think however the Lakers even consider him

would he consider us?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject:

The shot fake offense. I wonder how effective that would be at the professional level. The athletes at this level are longer and quicker than college.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay Wright retiring from Villanova

AD23 wrote:
He's the guy I've been wanting to be Laker head coach for a while. Is he retiring for good or is he retiring from Nova? hmmmm

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1516915441624662016?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Retiring from coaching.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33775177/villanova-jay-wright-retire-head-coach-kyle-neptune-take-over

Quote:
Wright has been solicited for several NBA jobs through the years, but sources told ESPN on Wednesday that Wright's intention is to retire from coaching, not only Villanova. Wright enjoyed his experience coaching Team USA under Gregg Popovich in recent years, but becoming an NBA head coach has held increasingly less appeal with him, sources said. He listened to overtures but never seriously considered leaving Villanova for any of them.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Good for him to retire as one of the best in college coaching and not try and pursue $ and the "glamour" of the NBA. He knows it comes with undue pressure, difficult personas and can ultimately tarnish his career legacy.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

would he consider us?

NBA coach salary upgrade from college? I'd say that's a good incentive but it's LA and he can ruin his career like Vogel just did
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

would he consider us?

NBA coach salary upgrade from college? I'd say that's a good incentive but it's LA and he can ruin his career like Vogel just did

I am not trying to flame but what coach, knowing where bron is at in his career wants any part of this?
You have limited control what goes on on the court

You know the power he wields off of it

You have the video of his passive aggressive sound bites

Plus kaj is within reach.

If this were just AD and scrubs itโ€™s a no brainer. You take it.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject:

College coaches rarely do well in the NBA.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

would he consider us?

Pretty sure Wright earns more then most NBA HCs. Quick search stated $6m a yr. Which puts him firmly in the top 10.

Without the crazy expectations of winning with a questionable roster and having to deal with the drama of a โ€œplayerโ€™s Leagueโ€. For his own sanity he should stay far away from the Lakers.

The man has had a great coaching career. Enjoy your retirement.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Great college coach, supposedly he wants to be a TV guy and I think he will be very good at it as he is well spoken and smart.

I am going to take him at face value that he just wants to take a break at this point. Maybe he coaches again, maybe he doesn't but he has a nice legacy and can pick and choose potential opportunities.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

Coach K would be a better choice.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject:

Why would Jay take this (bleep) job? To get yelled by Rambis, get sabotaged by Jeannie Buss and her mouthpieces when things not going right? on top of that he has to roll with the low rent assistant coaches Rambis hand picked for him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
Coach K would be a better choice.

I think Wright is a far better X's & O's basketball coach than K.....but I do not see him having any interest in the NBA......especially an NBA team with Lebron/Klutch.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

Retired Villanova men's basketball coach Jay Wright leaves door open for possible move to NBA

Quote:
Appearing Tuesday on ESPN's Keyshawn, JWill & Max, Wright said that he's not looking to coach right now, but said "I'd be lying" if he said he hadn't thought about coaching in the NBA.

"Not right now. That was something I always thought about," Wright said of his NBA ambitions. "My experience with the Olympics kind of scratched that itch. ... I kind of feel like I did it a little bit. And I loved coaching those guys."

Wright was part of San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's gold medal-winning Team USA staff, a group that also included Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr and Boston Celtics coach Ime Udoka.

"Right now I definitely need a break," Wright said Tuesday. "Right now I'm looking forward to this [special assistant] position at Villanova. But honestly, down the road, I'd be lying -- I don't know what I'm going to feel like."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33809304/retired-villanova-men-basketball-coach-jay-wright-leaves-door-open-possible-move-nba
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Retired Villanova men's basketball coach Jay Wright leaves door open for possible move to NBA

Quote:
Appearing Tuesday on ESPN's Keyshawn, JWill & Max, Wright said that he's not looking to coach right now, but said "I'd be lying" if he said he hadn't thought about coaching in the NBA.

"Not right now. That was something I always thought about," Wright said of his NBA ambitions. "My experience with the Olympics kind of scratched that itch. ... I kind of feel like I did it a little bit. And I loved coaching those guys."

Wright was part of San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's gold medal-winning Team USA staff, a group that also included Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr and Boston Celtics coach Ime Udoka.

"Right now I definitely need a break," Wright said Tuesday. "Right now I'm looking forward to this [special assistant] position at Villanova. But honestly, down the road, I'd be lying -- I don't know what I'm going to feel like."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33809304/retired-villanova-men-basketball-coach-jay-wright-leaves-door-open-possible-move-nba

Good. Hope he takes the Nets job and stays away from L.A.
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

why would he come here and be Rambis' puppet?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: