For you guys who want Vogel gone, who is going to replace him?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
If I’m looking for my first head coaching job the last thing I would want would be a team with a post-prime Lebron chasing Kareem’s scoring record, a disinterested AD and a set in his way Westbrook. Better to start with a young team where the players would actually listen to you.

Nah.

Only 32 jobs available. You grab whatever opportunity you have.

Not if you realize that it could potentially be your last opportunity due to reasons beyond your control. The Laker FO and management team are a mess, tying your future to them could be disastrous.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mark Jackson has emerged as a finalist for the Sacramento Kings head coaching job, sources tell me and @sam_amick. Kings GM Monte McNair has begun to notify candidates whether they will move onto in-person meetings.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1520504047920422912

Thank you Sac!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:
Mark Jackson has emerged as a finalist for the Sacramento Kings head coaching job, sources tell me and @sam_amick. Kings GM Monte McNair has begun to notify candidates whether they will move onto in-person meetings.

Thank you Sac!

Let’s hope lakers don’t think they are missing out on something and offer him something silly.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dham is an interesting choice.

Fits the mold of late 40-early 50 year olds who were mediocre as players being good coaches a la Monty and Kerr.

Why do you think it is that mediocre players make good coaches but star players usually fail, other than maybe Kidd? (Too early to tell with Nash.) Theoretically, shouldn’t Kidd’s offensive genius translate to coaching?

Have no idea.
Maybe stars don't have the patience of guys not being as good as them?

That's usually the prevailing theory.

Bird was pretty good too. I remember reading an article and Rick Carlise and some other guy were in charge of the defense/offeense (forget who). Bird took a more hands off approach and was there to manage personalities, rotations etc but the X's and O's were the assistants. Basically the opposite of a Mark Jackson who regularly threw his own assistants under the bus.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Whoever ends up with the Coaching job gets to resume Vogel’s post of sitting in the crosshairs in the battle between Buss and Klutch for control of the team. It has been telling that Fizdale hasn’t come up once as a candidate.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Whoever ends up with the Coaching job gets to resume Vogel’s post of sitting in the crosshairs in the battle between Buss and Klutch for control of the team. It has been telling that Fizdale hasn’t come up once as a candidate.

He’s a bad choice.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

He’s a bad choice.

I agree. He isn’t a strong candidate. But he is team Klutch/LeBron. So his absence from any headlines seems noteworthy.

I wonder if Dave Joerger, currently an assistant in Philly, is ready for another head coaching opportunity. He battled cancer earlier this year but resumed his assistant coaching role a few months ago. Could be he’s hanging around Philly to succeed Rivers if that goes sideways.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
If I’m looking for my first head coaching job the last thing I would want would be a team with a post-prime Lebron chasing Kareem’s scoring record, a disinterested AD and a set in his way Westbrook. Better to start with a young team where the players would actually listen to you.

Nah.

Only 32 jobs available. You grab whatever opportunity you have.

Not if you realize that it could potentially be your last opportunity due to reasons beyond your control. The Laker FO and management team are a mess, tying your future to them could be disastrous.

That is literally every single job.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Juwan
Quinn
Nurse
Kidd

IMHO is the list they will go after.

Go after coaches you can’t talk to?

come on. "can't" doesn't really mean "can't".

Actually it does, they are under contract. I guess you could trade picks and/or players for the opportunity to talk to them.

Typically, you ask. If the team says "no," that pretty much obligates them to extend or give a new deal to a coach. Sometimes, the team/coach/both are ready to part ways, even if the marriage has been successful. Rarely, a team will trade a draft pick for a coach.

Doc Rivers was under contract with the Celtics - the Clippers traded a #1 for him.

The Knicks traded Pat Riley to the Heat for a #1 and $1 million.

SVG was traded from Miami to Orlando for a #2.

Doc was "fired" by the Clippers - but had a deal in the bag with Philly ahead of time - so Ballmer didn't have to pay him.

Larry Brown left the Nets (while under contract), the Spurs (while under contract) and was fired by the Pistons (after back2back Finals trips and a win) for publicly thinking about the Knicks' job.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you Sac!

Let’s hope lakers don’t think they are missing out on something and offer him something silly.

Unlikely. We have been very cheap when it comes to coaches in the Jeanie era.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie listens these 4 camps;

Phil and Rambi
Pelinka as extenison of Kobe
Magic
Klutch

So which coach gets most ticks from those camps will be hired as HC.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

Phil and Rambi
Magic
Klutch

Good point + a coach that agrees to a 3 year "moderate" deal with oversight from the Rambii.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I think Jeanie is struggling with keeping control of the franchise from Klutch. Limiting the length of the Head Coach's deal, giving Lebron the assistant he wants (Kidd, Fizdale) but not the head coach (Lue, Jackson), Rambis interjection himself in the locker room, it all looks like a means to be "in the (locker) room" and be able to cut ties if needed without eating a lot of salary. After Pelinka turned over the roster for a third straight season, you could see Vogel lining more towards Klutch. He's gone now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

Phil and Rambi
Magic
Klutch

It’s disrespectful to call Pelinka an extension of Kobe, Kobe understood the game at a much higher level.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Palin wrote:

Phil and Rambi
Magic
Klutch

It’s disrespectful to call Pelinka an extension of Kobe, Kobe understood the game at a much higher level.

I meant in terms of trust. Jeanie trusts Pelinka because of Kobe. We all know how clueless Phil and Magic are too yet Jeanie trusts them.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Palin wrote:

Phil and Rambi
Magic
Klutch

I meant in terms of trust. Jeanie trusts Pelinka because of Kobe. We all know how clueless Phil and Magic are too yet Jeanie trusts them.

The problem with all four of these groups is they are either clueless or selfish with their own hidden agendas or both. NOT ONE GROUP STANDS FOR LAKER NATION. GET IT TOGETHER JEANIE.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:42 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Palin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Palin wrote:

Phil and Rambi
Magic
Klutch

The problem with all four of these groups is they are either clueless or selfish with their own hidden agendas or both. NOT ONE GROUP STANDS FOR LAKER NATION. GET IT TOGETHER JEANIE.

Why is Phil still around in the Lakers organization? He went to go be President of the Knicks before getting fired there.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
epic_ wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dham is an interesting choice.

Fits the mold of late 40-early 50 year olds who were mediocre as players being good coaches a la Monty and Kerr.

Why do you think it is that mediocre players make good coaches but star players usually fail, other than maybe Kidd? (Too early to tell with Nash.) Theoretically, shouldn’t Kidd’s offensive genius translate to coaching?

Have no idea.
Maybe stars don't have the patience of guys not being as good as them?

That's usually the prevailing theory.

Bird was pretty good too. I remember reading an article and Rick Carlise and some other guy were in charge of the defense/offeense (forget who). Bird took a more hands off approach and was there to manage personalities, rotations etc but the X's and O's were the assistants. Basically the opposite of a Mark Jackson who regularly threw his own assistants under the bus.

Maybe because mediocre players mostly sit on the bench, watching and observing. They see how better players and better coaches react to certain situations. Pat Riley and PJax were bench players, Pop didn't even play pro ball.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject:

Ham, Rondo, Perkins (for AD) would be a decent trio. You probably want to mix in some of the current more experienced coaches like Handy. I see no purpose or value added by Fiz, but he's a Lebron guy so he will likely stay on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Palin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Palin wrote:

Phil and Rambi
Magic
Klutch

Why is Phil still around in the Lakers organization? He went to go be President of the Knicks before getting fired there.

Because Jeanie trusts him. That's the only reason.

The pre-requisite to work with the Lakers? Be Jeanie's friend. It doesn't matter if you're actually good at your job
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Josh Lewenberg
@JLew1050

Nick Nurse on reports of the Lakers' interest in him: "I don't know where that stuff comes from and I'm focused on coaching this team."

Oh, coachspeak.
You know where it comes from.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

I would thank the kings for getting Mark Jackson off the air. I think he's a wonderful choice for them.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Josh Lewenberg
@JLew1050

Nick Nurse on reports of the Lakers' interest in him: "I don't know where that stuff comes from and I'm focused on coaching this team."

Oh, coachspeak.
You know where it comes from.

Ah straight out of the Klutch LePlaybook. Good job by his Klutch rep circulating the rumor to gain leverage for Mr. Nurse.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Darvin Ham is my preferred coach as we’re settling through the options. The more I’ve researched him the more I feel he’s one of the top upcoming coaches waiting for the right opportunity.

He’s the one tasked with setting accountability on the Bucks: “There’s a high, high level of respect for the head coach in Milwaukee and I think that players are held accountable by Budenholzer, but there’s a level of accountability of the staff. So, everybody speaks the same language on the staff. We might argue in a meeting or whatever, but you walk out of there and everybody is aligned and speaking the same language, and I think a lot of that is Darvin’s doing, because if you are not aligned with what Budenholzer wants or what he’s doing or you kinda veer off, Ham will grab you and pull you aside and have those tough conversations so that Budenholzer doesn’t have to.

I’ve seen it done many times and he does a lot of that, not that Bud can’t do it but he does a lot of that dirty work for Bud to help save his voice a little bit and his bullets, per se. He is really, really good at that. And he doesn’t pull you in, screaming at you. But he looks you in the eye and he’s basically like, ‘This is the way it is here. This is how it’s gonna be.’ You leave there feeling good about yourself and also you leave his office feeling like I gotta get my (bleep) together a little bit. And I think you can feel that with that team.”

That is from Silver Screen & Roll: https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2022/4/19/23031398/lakers-rumors-coaching-search-darvin-ham-terry-stotts-anal

For me, he’s got the experience of working with Kobe in 2011 on a team that didn’t have success so he understands the level of scrutiny that comes from that. He also has the gravitas of leading the Bucks to success. The Bucks have the best rim protection in the NBA, smart & structured offense where they don’t take dumb shots. That’s what we need here and he’s clearly well regarded for his ability to connect to players. Feels like Udoko on the Celtics.

He’s my guy - I’m all in on poaching him from the Bucks. I think he can be a fixture beyond Lebron’s timeline.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Everyone except Doc and Mark Jackson.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16
Jump to: