Now Maybe Devin Booker understands what AD was saying
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 141078
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject:

I get why fans make up alternate realities to make themselves feel better but the facts are the facts. And the facts for this thread is that Booker didn’t need to blame anything on his injury, his team won the series. Only those who lose look for excuses.
_________________
Between the things known, and the things unknown, are the Doors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1771

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

<snip>

But it doesn’t matter the cause because at the end of the day their play reflected that of a 7th seed by the time they faced the suns. That’s why they completely collapsed once AD went down.


How so? They were up 2-1, that's way better than 7th seed level play. After AD went down they certainly played like a 7th seed - just like you'd expect.

Quote:


If they were a true playoff team better than their record indicates, then they at least go down fighting and not get blown out in the last 2 games.


I don't get this. The top defender who anchors the defense and one of the 2 all-stars on the team goes down on a team that was well understood to be a top heavy team. Top-heavy means they're potentially great when both are healthy but all bets off when either one is hurt as no role player can come close to either one's Top 10 level NBA play. On top of that KCP goes down in the Suns series, the starting SG, a great defender and a championship role player, and you expect the team to meet some arbitrary standard of performance against the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NBA?

Quote:

The other injuries to AD, LBJ and even players like KCP derailed the team’s play/chemistry to where it degraded them to a non-legit play-in team by the time of the playoffs.


OK now I'm doubly lost, because I agree with this statement, so I'm not sure what the disagreement is about?
The team was a 7th seed because all those injuries during the regular season. The team played much better entering the playoffs and through the first 3 games against the Suns when most/all were back to near full health. They were a game up, oddsmakers tagged them as the better team likely to win the series.
Then AD (the anchor, the 2nd best player) went down and the team went back to being mediocre. Then KCP got injured and the roof caved in.
The above sure doesn't support the narrative "the Lakers would have lost against the Suns irrespective of AD's injury".


Last edited by ThePageDude on Sun May 01, 2022 11:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 56604

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

Lakers were a 7th seed only after ADs injury
Before they 1st 21-6 or something
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 11309

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ADs injury

the only consistent thing about AD thus far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1864

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
How so? They were up 2-1, that's way better than 7th seed level play. After AD went down they certainly played like a 7th seed - just like you'd expect.


The reason they were 2-1 was because of CP3's injury.

They played like a 7th seed after AD injury because they were a 7th seed before the playoffs.

Collapsing in such a fashion is the behavior of a 7th seed and not a team better than their record indicates.

Did the nuggets collapse last year after losing jamal murray? No they got the 3rd seed and still won against their first round opponent.

Did clippers collapse after losing kawhi? No they pulled an upset against utah.

Did the nets collapse after losing kyrie? No they took the champs to 7 games and were mere centimeters away from beating them.

Did the bucks collapse after losing giannis? No they beat the hawks and advanced to the nba finals.

Again, many teams have fought through adversity once injuries happened in the playoffs. The fact the lakers gave up after the AD injury showed they weren't a legit playoff team that year.

ThePageDude wrote:
I don't get this. The top defender who anchors the defense and one of the 2 all-stars on the team goes down on a team that was well understood to be a top heavy team. Top-heavy means they're potentially great when both are healthy but all bets off when either one is hurt as no role player can come close to either one's Top 10 level NBA play. On top of that KCP goes down in the Suns series, the starting SG, a great defender and a championship role player, and you expect the team to meet some arbitrary standard of performance against the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NBA?


If they were a legit playoff team that had the ability to win a championship, then I at least expect them to go down fighting instead of being down by 30 at times in the last 2 games. Heck, I would have been lenient if they had fought hard at home instead of having to crawl back from a huge deficit.

Being top heavy doesn't mean you're automatically a title-contender or a legit playoff team.

Being top heavy doesn't say anything about the quality of your team.

All being top heavy means is your team is reliant on your best players more so than others.

The lakers being top heavy and the lakers being a mediocre team aren't mutually exclusive.

The lakers won a championship because their stars played like MVP's and developed great chemistry despite being top heavy. Injuries last year robbed our stars of their mvp-levels, which dropped the overall play of the team well before their series with the suns.

ThePageDude wrote:
OK now I'm doubly lost, because I agree with this statement, so I'm not sure what the disagreement is about?
The team was a 7th seed because all those injuries during the regular season. The team played much better entering the playoffs and through the first 3 games against the Suns when most/all were back to near full health. They were a game up, oddsmakers tagged them as the better team likely to win the series.
Then AD (the anchor, the 2nd best player) went down and the team went back to being mediocre. Then KCP got injured and the roof caved in.
The above sure doesn't support the narrative "the Lakers would have lost against the Suns irrespective of AD's injury".


The lakers were 6-4 in their last 10 games before the play-in. Their last 3 wins came against HOU, IND, NOP. Those teams had nothing to play for at the time and rested their main pieces. IND, for example, did not have Sabonis, Turner or Brogdon when we played them. The same with NOP as well. They didn't play BI, Zion, Ball or even Adams that game. OTOH, we had to play our full line-up just to maintain HC for the play-in.

While they did play better down the stretch compared to most of the season, it was neither at the level that got them the 21-7 start nor a play-off team better than their record indicates at the time.

One reason was rushing lebron from injury late due to play-in implications, which impacted his play and the ceiling of the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1771

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

The reason they were 2-1 was because of CP3's injury.

And the reason the Lakers lost the next 3 games was due to the injuries to AD+KCP.
You give the Suns a pass for being down 2-1 on the basis of CP3's injury then in the same breath you give no credit to the Lakers for losing both AD and KCP!
(Oh wait you offer the 30 point loss argument which I address below)

Quote:

They played like a 7th seed after AD injury because they were a 7th seed before the playoffs.
Collapsing in such a fashion is the behavior of a 7th seed and not a team better than their record indicates.

Yes, *without* AD they were a play-in/7th-seed kinda team. This discussion is not about that team, this discussion is how they would have played *with* AD healthy (and LBJ and KCP).

Quote:

<snip> (Lots of examples of other teams that didn't collapse with injuries to their stars)

The Lakers 2 stars when healthy won a championship. The team was built for peak performance, not resilience, so it matters little if without one of the stars they lose by 30 given that they were not going to win the chip after losing one of the two stars anyways.

Quote:

If they were a legit playoff team that had the ability to win a championship, then I at least expect them to go down fighting instead of being down by 30 at times in the last 2 games.
<snip>

When the Lakers in 2004 lost 3 straight to Detroit after losing Malone, scoring 66 in Game 3 and losing by 20 (which in today's game is like losing by 30), did you also state your belief that that team was not a legitimate playoff team?
That team lost the final game by 13 while playing all of Shaq, Kobe and Payton. Fancy that!

Quote:

The lakers won a championship because their stars played like MVP's and developed great chemistry despite being top heavy. Injuries last year robbed our stars of their mvp-levels, which dropped the overall play of the team well before their series with the suns.

And why couldn't this have happened with a healthy LBJ + AD + KCP?

Quote:

The lakers were 6-4 in their last 10 games before the play-in. Their last 3 wins came against HOU, IND, NOP.
<snip>

They had 5 straight wins one of which was against the Suns. Prior to that closing win-streak they had a run of 5 losses in 6 games, all with LBJ out. That's the whole point - LBJ was hurt so the record up until that point in time was NOT indicative of the peak capability of that team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1864

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
And the reason the Lakers lost the next 3 games was due to the injuries to AD+KCP.


And the suns came out on top despite cp3's injury.

That's the thing: both sides can claim injury but ultimately the suns won because they were the better team.

If neither side suffered any injury during the series, then the suns still likely beat the lakers because they had played better all year as indicated by their record.

Sure you could say injuries to the whole team derailed the lakers from playing their best but those injuries happened before playoffs.

Injuries during the series were not the main cause, especially when the other side could say they were injured as well.

ThePageDude wrote:
You give the Suns a pass for being down 2-1 on the basis of CP3's injury then in the same breath you give no credit to the Lakers for losing both AD and KCP!


I don't give credit to the lakers because the suns were a better team that year. If both CP3 and AD/KCP didn't suffer an injury during the series, then the suns win 9/10 times based on nba history.

ThePageDude wrote:
(Oh wait you offer the 30 point loss argument which I address below)


Yes, *without* AD they were a play-in/7th-seed kinda team. This discussion is not about that team, this discussion is how they would have played *with* AD healthy (and LBJ and KCP).



No that's not what the discussion is about. Let me quote AD for you:

Link

Quote:
Dave MacMenamin
@mcten

Anthony Davis, asked if his groin injury is the main reason the Lakers didn’t beat the Suns in the playoffs last year, says: “It was … We know that. They know that … They got away with one”


AD literally says his groin injury was the main reason the lakers didn't beat the suns in playoffs last year. He emphasized it by saying "We know that. They know that.....They got away with one." He made no mention of LBJ prior injuries on even the ones on KCP.

This discussion has nothing to do with injuries suffered during the season. Look at the title of the topic:

"Now Devin Booker understands what AD is saying"

This discussion was brought about by booker suffering an injury during game 2 of the suns/pelicans series and not during the season like LBJ. The TC tried to make it analogous with AD injuring his groin in game 4 last year, which failed because the suns didn't lose to the pelicans due to being a legit playoff team unlike the lakers.

It also fails because CP3 could say the lakers/suns series wouldn't have been competitive if he didn't injure his shoulder in game 1.

ThePageDude wrote:
The Lakers 2 stars when healthy won a championship. The team was built for peak performance, not resilience, so it matters little if without one of the stars they lose by 30 given that they were not going to win the chip after losing one of the two stars anyways.


The lakers 2 stars were able to win the championship not only because they stayed on the floor but played at mvp levels as well.

Even though LBJ/AD were playable at the end of last season, it's clear neither were playing at the level that caused them to win a championship in 2020. Lebron especially was hobbled coming into the series.

That's why they weren't a legit playoff team that year. Staying on the court was only part of the issue: injuries also derailed their level of play.
If the lakers had 2020 lebron then they probably don't give up even if AD got injured in game 4.

ThePageDude wrote:
When the Lakers in 2004 lost 3 straight to Detroit after losing Malone, scoring 66 in Game 3 and losing by 20 (which in today's game is like losing by 30), did you also state your belief that that team was not a legitimate playoff team?


No because the lakers were the #3 seed that year despite malone's injuries and kobe's trial.

This means they were a legitimate playoff team form the start. They weren't first round fodder unlike a #7 or #8 seed.

Also they lost and got blown out on the road. The lakers in 2021 got blown out on the road and at home in their final 2 games consecutively.

ThePageDude wrote:
That team lost the final game by 13 while playing all of Shaq, Kobe and Payton. Fancy that!


But the fact they went to the finals showed they had already proven their merit. That's different from failing to advance in the first round.

You don't need to win the title to show legitimacy. You can take care of enough business despite injuries as the nuggets/clippers showed us last year.

ThePageDude wrote:
And why couldn't this have happened with a healthy LBJ + AD + KCP?


Because they were never healthy that year, especially compared to 2020.

Being able to play on the court doesn't mean you can produce in a similar manner. LBJ for example was able to play but was clearly hobbled by the ankle sprain, which limited his production/impact.

Bottom line, just because they were able to stay on the court doesn't mean our stars were able to produce like in 2020. We needed them to play as such in order to be more than just first round fodder.

ThePageDude wrote:
No, the Lakers went 7-3 to close the season including 6 straight wins one of which was against the Suns. Prior to that closing win-streak they had a run of 5 losses in 6 games, all with LBJ out. That's the whole point - LBJ was hurt so the record up until that point in time was NOT indicative of the peak capability of that team.


Last 10 games in 2021 before the play-in:

Sac- L
Tor- L
Den- W
@Lac- L
@Por- L
Pho- W
Nyk- W
Hou- W
Ind- W
Nop- W

That looks like a record of 6-4 to me.

Play-in games/stats are not official. Can say it's part of the season. It's its own thing.

Lebron played only 4 games during that 10 game span with AD: Sac, Tor, Ind, Nop. The lakers went 2-2 over those 4 games.

So no the lakers did not play anywhere close to the 21-7 record for the final games of the season. They played .500 ball even when they had AD/LBJ together.

Lebron also told the media his ankle wouldn't be 100% until the offseason, which everyone knew would impact the lakers in the playoffs. That's enough indication the ceiling of the team wouldn't be high coming into the sun/lal series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1771

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

That looks like a record of 6-4 to me.
.


I corrected my post, I had mis-read the record.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1771

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:


It also fails because CP3 could say the lakers/suns series wouldn't have been competitive if he didn't injure his shoulder in game 1.


AD says the Lakers would have won if his groin didn't get injured.
CP3 says the Suns would have won more games if he had been fully healthy.

Your position is the Suns would have won.
My position is the Lakers *could* have won if LBJ/AD/KCP all remained healthy given the way they were playing the first 3 games of the series
I will leave this as a "I'll agree to disagree" - I haven't yet seen a compelling argument either way.

As for the Detroit 2004 example, you moved the goal posts.
Your original comment was:
Quote:

If they were a legit playoff team that had the ability to win a championship, then I at least expect them to go down fighting instead of being down by 30 at times in the last 2 games. Heck, I would have been lenient if they had fought hard at home instead of having to crawl back from a huge deficit.


The Lakers did NOT go down fighting in game 3, they lost by 20 points scoring only 66. The Lakers did NOT go down fighting in game 5, they lost by 13 points.
Now you move the goalposts to regular season records and making it to the Finals.
Quote:

No because the lakers were the #3 seed that year despite malone's injuries and kobe's trial.

This means they were a legitimate playoff team form the start. They weren't first round fodder unlike a #7 or #8 seed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1864

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
AD says the Lakers would have won if his groin didn't get injured.
CP3 says the Suns would have won more games if he had been fully healthy.

Your position is the Suns would have won.
My position is the Lakers *could* have won if LBJ/AD/KCP all remained healthy given the way they were playing the first 3 games of the series
I will leave this as a "I'll agree to disagree" - I haven't yet seen a compelling argument either way.


The compelling argument is that the suns were the #2 seed and the lakers were the #7 seed at the time.

If neither team suffers an injury like CP3 in game 1 or AD in game 4, then the suns win 9/10 because nba history says that's the likely result.

The suns were simply the better team heading into the series. They had the better record and played like it, which is why the lakers lost to them in 6 games.

You refuse to admit they were better in the series simply because the lakers lost to them. As venturalakersfan points out: only losing teams look for excuses.

ThePageDude wrote:
As for the Detroit 2004 example, you moved the goal posts.


Hey now don't be talking about moving goal posts when you can't tell the difference between 7-3 and 6-4.

I already said it earlier in this thread before replying to you: my main argument is the lakers were not a legit playoff team last year because they were the #7 seed.

#7 seeds hardly advance based on nba history, which shows they were closer to first round fodder than being a title contender or legitimate playoff team. Giving up that easily after AD's injury is a reflection on their play as a #7 seed.

ThePageDude wrote:
The Lakers did NOT go down fighting in game 3, they lost by 20 points scoring only 66. The Lakers did NOT go down fighting in game 5, they lost by 13 points.


The 2004 lakers put up a fight in game 4 after getting blown out in game 3.

The 2021 lakers wilted in game 6 at home after getting blown out in game 5.

Quite a difference being blown out at home and on the road in consecutive games vs alternating blowouts and effort in 3 consecutive games on the road.

ThePageDude wrote:
Now you move the goalposts to regular season records and making it to the Finals.


I've never even mentioned the finals. You're the one who used it as an example.

I've always maintained the lakers were first round fodder simply by virtue of getting the #7 seed.

The were never a legit playoff team in 2021 because of what they went through in the regular season. That's why they were the #7 seed for a reason.

What injuries happened in the Suns series are just excuses because they beat the lakers 9/10 times based on nba history.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epic_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jan 2020
Posts: 5795

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I get why fans make up alternate realities to make themselves feel better but the facts are the facts. And the facts for this thread is that Booker didn’t need to blame anything on his injury, his team won the series. Only those who lose look for excuses.


We lost. It hurt. We thought we could have won. We did have injuries to our players.
It's not unusual to wish things played out differently.
It's not unusual to dislike a team (players) that you lost to.
It's not unusual to say Booker has a punchable face.
_________________
💜💛 🏆 👀

Ben
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1771

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

<snip>
What injuries happened in the Suns series are just excuses because they beat the lakers 9/10 times based on nba history.


In other words you agree that CP3's contention that they would have won more games if he had not been injured is an excuse.
You also agree that Booker's disclaimer that if they lost this playoff series it would have been due to his injury is also an excuse.
Got it.

Quote:

#7 seeds hardly advance based on nba history, which shows they were closer to first round fodder than being a title contender or legitimate playoff team. Giving up that easily after AD's injury is a reflection on their play as a #7 seed.

As I've said before this argument is specious, misuses statistics, lacks context. There are #7 seeds that are true number #7 seeds because the team at its peak would be a #7 seed. Then there are #7 seeds that are low seeds due to injuries, that would and could be much higher seeds if not for the injuries. You acknowledge these facts but repeat the generalization "they could not have won because they were the #7 seed" despite being reminded that the team playing the Suns the first 3 games was NOT the team that got the #7 seed.


Quote:

Hey now don't be talking about moving goal posts when you can't tell the difference between 7-3 and 6-4.

You have no idea what "moving the goalposts" means. What I did was make a mistake, which I acknowledged. What you are doing is changing your argument on the fly when you get shown the flaw in your argument.
I'm done with this discussion, we've reached a stalemate and I'm not learning anything new. Have a good day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Now Maybe Devin Booker understands what AD was saying

dabask11 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Scherm wrote:
I love Devin Booker -- Kobe did too -- but he got offended when AD implied that his injury last year was a turning point and the Suns know they got away with one.

Now Booker is hurt and a series that the Suns had under control suddenly looks iffy.

Get it now? It's not sour grapes -- just reality.


Whats the reality now?


They struggled to beat a #9 seed.


In other words they won.


And Booker returned to the court. Their record without him was 1-2.


Their record without him was 2-1.

Booker played in one of the pelican’s wins


You’re right. I was thinking of the game where Booker left early with the injury as the second loss. I don’t think this series is a good comparison to the Lakers losing to the #2 seed Suns last year after AD went down. The Pelicans should not have even been in the tournament and had a record of 10 games below .500.


The #4 seed clippers were able to win against the #1 seed jazz last year despite losing kawhi when the series was 2-2.

The #3 seed bucks were able to win against the #5 seed hawks last year despite losing giannis when the series was 2-2

The lakers losing last year showed they were closer to this years pelican’s than the top teams of either year.

It’s just AD making excuses: the lakers were a 7th seed play-in team for a reason. They were first round fodder regardless of AD getting injured or not in the playoffs that year.


1st roumd fodder that would habe beaten the NBA finalist if healthy. Yeah


But they didn’t win and sure played like fodder the last 2 games.


Without AD, and momentum was already on their side. 2-1 up, winnable game 4. AD plays until the end and its series over
_________________
17 99 19 22 44 13 25 52 33
32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3 Mic.

48 49 50 52 53 54 72 80 82
85 87 88 00 01 02 09 10 20
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Now Maybe Devin Booker understands what AD was saying

dabask11 wrote:
Lakers aren’t 2-1 if cp3 didn’t injure his shoulder.


Are they up if James was 100%? But now you change the subject, Paul still played the whole series, Davis was out for half of it. They had a 2-1 lead and a game they lost by 8pts with their best player missing half of that game. You cant claim it didnt change the series, thats ridiculous
_________________
17 99 19 22 44 13 25 52 33
32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3 Mic.

48 49 50 52 53 54 72 80 82
85 87 88 00 01 02 09 10 20
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1864

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
In other words you agree that CP3's contention that they would have won more games if he had not been injured is an excuse.
You also agree that Booker's disclaimer that if they lost this playoff series it would have been due to his injury is also an excuse.


But why would the suns be talking about excuses when they came out the victor in each of the series? Injuries are part of the game after all.

They won in the end, that is all that matters. Chris paul asking for more wins in a series they still came out on top is meaningless.

What booker disclaimer talking if they lost this playoff series? Do you have a link to where he said that? The suns still won the series. The last thing most people would be talking about after winning is IF they had lost.

Bottomline there is no "IF" when it comes to winners. They got job done in the end. That's not how it works in the NBA. Otherwise you could potentially apply it to every situation. Do the bull lose the 1997 championship IF MJ didn't hit the game winner against russell? Maybe, but at the end of the day MJ hit the shot and the rest is history.

ThePageDude wrote:
As I've said before this argument is specious, misuses statistics, lacks context. There are #7 seeds that are true number #7 seeds because the team at its peak would be a #7 seed. Then there are #7 seeds that are low seeds due to injuries, that would and could be much higher seeds if not for the injuries. You acknowledge these facts but repeat the generalization "they could not have won because they were the #7 seed" despite being reminded that the team playing the Suns the first 3 games was NOT the team that got the #7 seed.


It's all speculation for the lakers because the suns won the series in the end.

The laker team that won the first 3 games WAS the team that got the #7 seed. They had a hobbled lebron who was never going to be 100% coming into the series, which affects teamplay due to the roster's makeup. They finished the season 6-4 in the last 10 games and 2-2 in the games LBJ/AD played together.

Yes they could have been better if things turned out differently earlier in the season, but the signs were there the lakers coming into series weren't going to reach anywhere close to there full potential. Lebron being hobbled was arguably the biggest blow to the team. A 2-1 doesn't say much about series other one team having a lead.

ThePageDude wrote:
You have no idea what "moving the goalposts" means. What I did was make a mistake, which I acknowledged. What you are doing is changing your argument on the fly when you get shown the flaw in your argument.
I'm done with this discussion, we've reached a stalemate and I'm not learning anything new. Have a good day.


That's fine. At the end of the day the Suns won against the lakers and pelicans. We could argue and speculate all we want about the "IF's" but history remembers the winners and forgets the losers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1864

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Now Maybe Devin Booker understands what AD was saying

GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Lakers aren’t 2-1 if cp3 didn’t injure his shoulder.


Are they up if James was 100%? But now you change the subject, Paul still played the whole series, Davis was out for half of it. They had a 2-1 lead and a game they lost by 8pts with their best player missing half of that game. You cant claim it didnt change the series, thats ridiculous


If James was 100% then maybe the lakers don't even play the suns.

In last 10 games the lakers were 2-2 with LBJ/AD together. A 100% lebron likely means they go 4-0 or 3-1 and get the 5th or 6th seed.

Paul still played but avg 9 points on .386 shooting and .200 from 3. He was so injured he wondered why the lakers didn't leave him open in game 1.

If Paul doesn't get injured in game 1, then the suns could have been up 3-0 instead of down 2-1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Now Maybe Devin Booker understands what AD was saying

dabask11 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Lakers aren’t 2-1 if cp3 didn’t injure his shoulder.


Are they up if James was 100%? But now you change the subject, Paul still played the whole series, Davis was out for half of it. They had a 2-1 lead and a game they lost by 8pts with their best player missing half of that game. You cant claim it didnt change the series, thats ridiculous


If James was 100% then maybe the lakers don't even play the suns.

In last 10 games the lakers were 2-2 with LBJ/AD together. A 100% lebron likely means they go 4-0 or 3-1 and get the 5th or 6th seed.

Paul still played but avg 9 points on .386 shooting and .200 from 3. He was so injured he wondered why the lakers didn't leave him open in game 1.

If Paul doesn't get injured in game 1, then the suns could have been up 3-0 instead of down 2-1.


Thats another story, and we are talking about something else now. But one thing i know, both teams healthy entire series, we would win
_________________
17 99 19 22 44 13 25 52 33
32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3 Mic.

48 49 50 52 53 54 72 80 82
85 87 88 00 01 02 09 10 20
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 11309

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Now Maybe Devin Booker understands what AD was saying

GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Lakers aren’t 2-1 if cp3 didn’t injure his shoulder.


Are they up if James was 100%? But now you change the subject, Paul still played the whole series, Davis was out for half of it. They had a 2-1 lead and a game they lost by 8pts with their best player missing half of that game. You cant claim it didnt change the series, thats ridiculous


If James was 100% then maybe the lakers don't even play the suns.

In last 10 games the lakers were 2-2 with LBJ/AD together. A 100% lebron likely means they go 4-0 or 3-1 and get the 5th or 6th seed.

Paul still played but avg 9 points on .386 shooting and .200 from 3. He was so injured he wondered why the lakers didn't leave him open in game 1.

If Paul doesn't get injured in game 1, then the suns could have been up 3-0 instead of down 2-1.


Thats another story, and we are talking about something else now. But one thing i know, both teams healthy entire series, we would win

Hypothetically
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1864

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Now Maybe Devin Booker understands what AD was saying

GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Lakers aren’t 2-1 if cp3 didn’t injure his shoulder.


Are they up if James was 100%? But now you change the subject, Paul still played the whole series, Davis was out for half of it. They had a 2-1 lead and a game they lost by 8pts with their best player missing half of that game. You cant claim it didnt change the series, thats ridiculous


If James was 100% then maybe the lakers don't even play the suns.

In last 10 games the lakers were 2-2 with LBJ/AD together. A 100% lebron likely means they go 4-0 or 3-1 and get the 5th or 6th seed.

Paul still played but avg 9 points on .386 shooting and .200 from 3. He was so injured he wondered why the lakers didn't leave him open in game 1.

If Paul doesn't get injured in game 1, then the suns could have been up 3-0 instead of down 2-1.


Thats another story, and we are talking about something else now. But one thing i know, both teams healthy entire series, we would win


The suns were healthy coming into the series. Chris Paul wasn’t injured until game 1. The lakers were never healthy after their 21-7 start and lebron was limping into the playoffs.

That’s the story as to why they played each other in the first round. You can’t have a fully healthy lakers as a 7th seed: they would be much higher based on their potential play.

They wouldn’t have met in the first round if the lakers had a top record to match the suns last year. Top 3 teams don’t have a chance to play each other until the semi’s

Would a fully healthy Lakers beat the Suns last year if both teams made the semi’s? On paper yes but that’s too many hypotheticals to argue about.


Last edited by dabask11 on Tue May 03, 2022 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 3692
Location: Lake Nacimiento

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Now Maybe Devin Booker understands what AD was saying

GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Lakers aren’t 2-1 if cp3 didn’t injure his shoulder.


Are they up if James was 100%? But now you change the subject, Paul still played the whole series, Davis was out for half of it. They had a 2-1 lead and a game they lost by 8pts with their best player missing half of that game. You cant claim it didnt change the series, thats ridiculous


If James was 100% then maybe the lakers don't even play the suns.

In last 10 games the lakers were 2-2 with LBJ/AD together. A 100% lebron likely means they go 4-0 or 3-1 and get the 5th or 6th seed.

Paul still played but avg 9 points on .386 shooting and .200 from 3. He was so injured he wondered why the lakers didn't leave him open in game 1.

If Paul doesn't get injured in game 1, then the suns could have been up 3-0 instead of down 2-1.


Thats another story, and we are talking about something else now. But one thing i know, both teams healthy entire series, we would win


It's all opinion so no way to win this argument but I agree with you 100%.. I fully believe we beat the Suns somewhat easily if both Bron and AD were healthy.. That Lakers team was FULLY built to play alongside Bron and AD, without one of those two our chances dropped drastically and then you add the fact we lost AD on top of Bron being hobbled and it was pretty much game over at that moment.

Injuries/availability are part of the game but nobody is swaying me to believe in the slightest that the Suns could beat a healthy Lakers team that season. It was always a gamble though just like this Season and next Season will be with both Bron and AD being healthy by the Playoffs.. I don't trust either of them to remain healthy at this point anymore sadly.

BTW i'll happily play a make believe series where CP3 is fully healthy if Bron and AD are as well...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 5072

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject:

This is the saddest thread in this entire section right now and that says a lot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB