Phil Jackson advising Lakers Ownership in Coaching Search
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

He's advising Kurt.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

PJ could coach
https://twitter.com/kobehighlight/status/1519390368873156608?s=20&t=R3454WBHi0UPekv4h3GLiw
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.

This is facts.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.

This is facts.

Completely spot on.

Jeanie continues to be the absolute worst.

Can’t wait until she’s no longer in charge
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
I trust PJ way more than I trust Rambis. Not sure why all the consternation - sounds like he probably had a hand in advising they select Vogel, who turned out to be a great choice.

Why? Seriously, why? I'm not saying that you should trust Rambis. But what has Phil Jackson done as an executive that makes you think that he has good judgment about hiring coaches? If you think that Vogel was a great choice, well, Rambis was supposedly the point man on the decision. I'm not sure that it's really a feather in his cap, given the mess with Lue. But why do you think that Phil Jackson has any expertise on these decisions, especially after what we saw with the Knicks?

His Knicks career was a blight, agreed, although there are some nuances to the coaching angle. But I think it's possible to grow from that. As to why I trust him, I just assumed he was behind Vogel. You state that was Rambis - to be frank (no pun intended), I haven't looked into it extensively, just noted the OP stated PJ had involvement. I also assume that in a battle of wills between PJ and Rambis, PJ probably wins, so I deferred to him having made the choice. I was very happy with the Vogel choice, as you can see. (And even with the Lue debacle . . . I mean, choosing Lue was also a great choice. if they lowballed him, it was probably because of Jeanie. Coming out of that with Vogel isn't bad IMO.)

FWIW, his first choice in NY was Steve Kerr, not Derek Fisher. Kerr declined, but I think that says more about the perpetual dysfunction of the Knicks and the state of the roster than it does PJ.

PJ also wanted to get rid of Porzingis. He saw the error of his ways pretty quickly there, but NYK wasn't having it and basically chose KP over PJ. I don't think that turned out well.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton part 2 come on down.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait to see a reenactment of this on Season 42 of Winning Time.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I don’t a have a issue with Phil consulting on the coaching hire he wanted the Lakers FO to get Ty Lue in 2019 when they were focusing on other candidates he knows more about the coaching situation then trying to have a voice on personnel decisions now that’s something that’s more worrisome.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I don’t a have a issue with Phil consulting on the coaching hire he wanted the Lakers FO to get Ty Lue in 2019 when they were focusing on other candidates he knows more about the coaching situation then trying to have a voice on personnel decisions now that’s something that’s more worrisome.

Phil's barometer for a good coaching hire is whether or not Phil coached them as a player.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Is Slava or Devean George available?
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Interesting. Mitch wasnt perfect but he was a good GM, and i coukdnt care less abiut Jim. But i will give him that, we didnt look like a circus with them in charge. And i dont mean the stuff on the court of even the trades and FAs, i just mean all the noise around the franchise and seemingly anyone having a say in what we do

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Interesting. Mitch wasnt perfect but he was a good GM, and i coukdnt care less abiut Jim. But i will give him that, we didnt look like a circus with them in charge. And i dont mean the stuff on the court of even the trades and FAs, i just mean all the noise around the franchise and seemingly anyone having a say in what we do

You say this, but Jeanie and her mouthpiece, Ding, sure tried their hardest to paint LA as a clownshow. And signings like Mozgov and Deng sure didn't help
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

If my presumption is right that Phil is volunteering his services, i commend Jeanie again to getting free advice from legends who can help themselves stay away from the Laker franchise.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
beat me to it!

so... should we give Fish a second shot at the NBA (at least interview him)? or you'd all rather have quinn, marc jackson, etc?

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
i was surprised Fish didn't become a solid coach. i mean banging teammates wives probably wasn't a great look... but was he really that bad of a coach? that knicks roster sucked ass anyway.

He took the Sparks to the semi finals his first year.

Ham>Fish
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
MJST wrote:

I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.

Not hiring Phil and hiring DumbToni instead might have cost us a championship.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Username wrote:
MJST wrote:

Again, take off your purple gold glasses. Kobe and Pau gasol were no where near their prime in 2014, and other star free agents have spun us during those few years because they didn’t care about laker glamour and played in Kobe’s shadow remember. Also back in 2014 LeBron was in his prime, there’s no way laker even made it to the conference finals with Phil Jackson as the head coach back in 2014.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject:

My only worry about the Lakers next season is them actually being good.

Because if they are, it will be because of AD and LeBron being healthy and putting together a great season, and that will only empower this circus of a front office to stay in power for longer.

Once the superstars are gone, the Lakers will be absolutely screwed spearheading a rebuild with Phil and Kurt Rambis leading the front office charge.

This announcement tells me that things are never going to change in the near future - and if they do, then it's going to have to get REAL bad.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

It frightens me that you might actually be serious.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
This move could drive a wedge between Jeanie and Klutch

That’s the last thing I care about.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject:

please not another tri-heavy coach..
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

triangle is pretty outdated for today’s league to be honest. Only Jokic and probably Embiid can even be the focal point, I am not sure Phil advising is a good thing, he wasn’t exactly Popular
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
triangle is pretty outdated for today’s league to be honest. Only Jokic and probably Embiid can even be the focal point, I am not sure Phil advising is a good thing, he wasn’t exactly Popular

IMO it's been outdated since the mid-2000... I was salivating at the thought of Kobe in his prime playing the MDA style offense...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I guess we will see what happens.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
MJST wrote:

Phil wanted stake of ownership in the team back in 2004, and Jerry Buss didn't give it to him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: