Phil Jackson advising Lakers Ownership in Coaching Search
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
If Jeanie is using Phil to drive out LBJ... maybe she has more game than I thought.

*grabs popcorn*

I know you're kind of joking here, but I do think the fact that it's publicly known that she's "consulting" with Phil is an indication that even after all these years in the business she's still not confident enough in or unwilling to accept responsibility for her decisions.

It's not like Steve Ballmer bringing on Jerry West to signal to the Clipper fanbase that he knows he got some stuff to learn about building a team as a new owner. Same with Lacob bringing West on to mentor him him and Myers. Jeanie has been running the Lakers for 9 years, but she's been involved much longer.

I'm not saying she shouldn't get advice from knowledgeable people, but at this point she should have some opinions about what makes a good coach or the kind of team she wants to build. That's not meddling. That's providing Rob with direction because she still has to sign off on those decisions.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject:

I wonder if Jackson’s involvement is more about easing the concerns and recruitment of any HC candidate.

Jackson still has credibility in the leagues coaching circles. Consider the way Vogel was scapegoated, the unprofessional firing and the current roster issues that are not going away any time soon.

I have a feeling the Laker job is not as coveted as we fans would like to think. Perhaps Jackson’s influence can improve that perception and the reluctance to be the asked with fixing this dysfunctional situation.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

It's 2022 and the fact Jeanie is dipping into Magic, Rambis and Phil...

There are so many great basketball ops minds out there and these are the people we are going to.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I wonder if Jackson’s involvement is more about easing the concerns and recruitment of any HC candidate.

Jackson still has credibility in the leagues coaching circles. Consider the way Vogel was scapegoated, the unprofessional firing and the current roster issues that are not going away any time soon.

I have a feeling the Laker job is not as coveted as we fans would like to think. Perhaps Jackson’s influence can improve that perception and the reluctance to be the asked with fixing this dysfunctional situation.

Phil is still respected as a coach, so he might just be there to stop the bleeding...Lakers reputation has taken a beating this year, so he could just be there to stabilize the situation.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:

This is such a reflection of our team. Old and stale.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

There are so many great basketball ops minds out there and these are the people we are going to.

Unbelievable.

Jeanie can't think outside the box. And her box is extremely tiny.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
If Jeanie is using Phil to drive out LBJ... maybe she has more game than I thought.

*grabs popcorn*

I know you're kind of joking here, but I do think the fact that it's publicly known that she's "consulting" with Phil is an indication that even after all these years in the business she's still not confident enough in or unwilling to accept responsibility for her decisions.

It's not like Steve Ballmer bringing on Jerry West to signal to the Clipper fanbase that he knows he got some stuff to learn about building a team as a new owner. Same with Lacob bringing West on to mentor him him and Myers. Jeanie has been running the Lakers for 9 years, but she's been involved much longer.

I'm not saying she shouldn't get advice from knowledgeable people, but at this point she should have some opinions about what makes a good coach or the kind of team she wants to build. That's not meddling. That's providing Rob with direction because she still has to sign off on those decisions.

I don't think Jeanie needs to know the intricacies of being a general manager... I think she just needs to know when her team isn't working and when to take it in another direction.

LBJ is a brilliant basketball player... but like many others who were great... so far he hasn't shown any terrific skill in personnel management.

People have been trolling Magic but at least Magic kept role players like Cooper, Byron, Rambis, AC Green around for years instead of trading them.

Even Jordan kept a lot of role players around... but LBJ keeps tinkering around and the main factor I see in his success since he left Miami... is himself more than any personnel moves that he makes.

A worst case scenario for us is if LBJ/Klutch find a way to buy the team.

I just saw on one of my Facebook feeds that LBJ just said he didn't consider the season a failure.

If he had any sort of accountability for his actions I'd feel so much better... if he said... "well, I messed up... maybe we'll try something different"

Instead he's going to try to LeBron himself out of his mistakes next season.

And he's such a good player that at 37... he just might pull one more playoff season out of his aging body.

But my fear as that he will be here much longer... and that any success will be interpreted as that LBJ was right about personnel all along when the only thing great about him is his play.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

i think it'll have the opposite affect. coaching staffs nowadays have evolved compare to a couple or even a decade ago. head coaches nowadays pick their own staff, and are operating without or with little influence from owners, especially not from owners' underqualified BFFs. Phil Jackson when he was in the league wasn't a popular either, he rubbed off people the wrong ways big time if i remember correctly, and he's a known snitch and source of leaks. having Phil Jackson leading the coaching search is so typical of Jeannie Buss, backward thinking, phil coached 6 title he must know a thing or two about hiring a good coach, yes he knows, he knows how to steal job away from someone, and leaking stuff to media if things not going his way.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

for those who want phil to drive out LeBron/Klutch, i got 2 questions:

1. why the mythical theory about Klutch taking over the team, if you want to cut tie with them just trade AD and LeBron, or not renew LeBron next year, it's that simple because either way you gonna piss them off, so what's the difference whether using phil jackson or not.

2. Klutch is the last remaining non ex-Laker piece we have on the team that has connections with the modern NBA. many young stars are being represented by Klutch, and the list is growing every year. what's good out of getting rid of them? going back to 80's show time highlight reel PPT to court free agents?
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Unbelievable.

Remember when we were the only team to not be at the Sloan conference?

Now the league is being run by analytics.

Hilarious and comical. Just let the pros do the work. Bunch of dinosaurs going to run us into the ground.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject:

The positive about this is Phil is an Alpha and Klutch can't rule over him.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

again, why you need an alpha to deal with Klutch, just simply trade LeBron or just not renew him when the time comes. the weakness of this ownership is getting ridiculous.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
bluehill wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

*grabs popcorn*

I don't think Jeanie needs to know the intricacies of being a general manager... I think she just needs to know when her team isn't working and when to take it in another direction.

LBJ is a brilliant basketball player... but like many others who were great... so far he hasn't shown any terrific skill in personnel management.

People have been trolling Magic but at least Magic kept role players like Cooper, Byron, Rambis, AC Green around for years instead of trading them.

Even Jordan kept a lot of role players around... but LBJ keeps tinkering around and the main factor I see in his success since he left Miami... is himself more than any personnel moves that he makes.

A worst case scenario for us is if LBJ/Klutch find a way to buy the team.

I just saw on one of my Facebook feeds that LBJ just said he didn't consider the season a failure.

If he had any sort of accountability for his actions I'd feel so much better... if he said... "well, I messed up... maybe we'll try something different"

Instead he's going to try to LeBron himself out of his mistakes next season.

And he's such a good player that at 37... he just might pull one more playoff season out of his aging body.

But my fear as that he will be here much longer... and that any success will be interpreted as that LBJ was right about personnel all along when the only thing great about him is his play.

I agree that she doesn't need to know the intricacies of being a GM and you're right that she needs to know when to change direction.

My concern is that it still takes a level of understanding to know when things aren't working (other than waiting until we're a lottery team) and what the new direction should be.

I would think that she's been in the business long enough to have this understanding because she's a hands-on operating partner not a minority owner. My fear is that she doesn't know or she's not confident enough to follow through and that's why we see this rotating group of friends and confidants whenever there's a crisis.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

all the more painful that Kobe is gone. HE'S the one ex laker that would be forward thinking. and despite what he said about leaving basketball behind after retirement... he would certainly have been DEEP into lakers decision making right now IMHO.

these guys are all still extremely competitive and the lakers will forever be "their team". it's not like they aren't trying to still "win". it just ain't going according to plan!

danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Unbelievable.

Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

again, why you need an alpha to deal with Klutch, just simply trade LeBron or just not renew him when the time comes. the weakness of this ownership is getting ridiculous.

Getting rid of Lebron, AD doesn't solve the problem, because another problem would arise. 1st of all getting rid of them is a PR nightmare. Players are buddy buddy now and talk, so it would be a bad look on the Lakers. Also, who and what are you gonna get for them, and execute it to rebuilding and establishing your team, with no vision? Also, there are gonna be others that step all over you and you can't just take your ball and go home, everytime it happens.

Jeanie, to me is the problem. She doesn't know a thing about the basketball side and doesn't have an actual vision, just repeats what her father said or says "this is what her father wanted." Though, she doesn't actually know nor do what her father wanted, but I digress. She is not a true leader, because a true leader gets people in line, and aligned with their vision. They get people that are experienced and equipped to carry out the vision. She has no vision and goes the comfortable route and gets unqualified people; simply because she "trusts" them, not because they are able to do the job. Their leadership is a reflection of her leadership.

Jeanie goes against the laws of power: "When you’re in a position of power, beware of hiring a friend. Hiring friends weakens you because your friend is rarely the one who can help you the most. You need skill and competence more than friendship. Also, friendly feelings can get in the way of what needs to be done."

But then, Phil breaks that mold. He strikes me as a person that doesn't care about friends, more than he cares about getting the job done and a no non sense type of person. He is a true leader and Alpha. Is it a good thing or a bad thing to bring him a board? That is yet to be determined, but it didn't work out for the Knicks, so his experience doesn't seem to be note worthy or suggest competence from an executive stand point. Granted, he wanted Steve Kerr, but signed derrick Fisher and kept Kurt Rambis as the coach. He seems like a "back in my day" type of person and I don't know how good that is for the modern NBA. He also seems like a control freak and not as flexible. Though in every situation, you need an alpha at the top to sort out the bottom.

Phil isn't my 1st pick, I wouldn't have selected him at all. Though, at this present moment, since we are gonna keep the FO the way that it is, Lebron and AD, I don't mind it and hope for the best. But make no mistake about it, to me, Jeanie is the problem .

Last edited by Outspoken on Wed May 04, 2022 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

<snip>
... because a true leader gets people in line, and aligned with their vision. They get people that are experienced and equipped to carry out the vision. She has no vision and goes the comfortable route and gets unqualified people; simply because she "trusts" them, not because they are able to do the job. Their leadership is a reflection of her leadership.

Jeanie goes against the laws of power: "When you’re in a position of power, beware of hiring a friend. Hiring friends weakens you because your friend is rarely the one who can help you the most. You need skill and competence more than friendship. Also, friendly feelings can get in the way of what needs to be done."

Well said
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

<snip>
... because a true leader gets people in line, and aligned with their vision. They get people that are experienced and equipped to carry out the vision. She has no vision and goes the comfortable route and gets unqualified people; simply because she "trusts" them, not because they are able to do the job. Their leadership is a reflection of her leadership.

Well said

and Jeannie has a business degree from SC? LOL
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

She like one of those people who still daily drive a 1974 Lincoln Continental or something like that… probably still uses the a-track deck on it too to play 1970’s hits too…
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I see what you’re trying to say, but I think your description of the desirability of the job goes beyond Jackson. I am not quite sure if Jackson holds the credibility that he once would’ve held. A lot of the coaches during his era are now retired. I’m not sure if he is held with as high of a regard now compared to, say, 20 years ago. Maybe having a new generation of coaches is positive for any mystic that Phil Jackson’s name has, but I doubt it. I think everyone still remembers him being with the Knicks. His comments about Carmelo and LeBron, IMO, killed any credibility that he had left in this (player’s) league.

Vogel was out of the league. He was fired from Orlando. He was desperate. Was anybody else going to give him another gig? I think Vogel was hired because he was desperate and the Lakers were cheap.

It’s gonna take another desperate person, maybe a Mark Jackson type of guy, to agree to be the captain of the Titanic, and do it at a rate that a cheap owner would agree to as well. And he would be the scape goat as well, just like Vogel was. And this is a guy who won the championship less than 2 years ago with them. If I’m a coaching candidate and I see them treating a guy that won a championship with them like that.. well, that’s a ‘nuff said.

Sounds like a very desirable job opening, to say the least
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

She like one of those people who still daily drive a 1974 Lincoln Continental or something like that… probably still uses the a-track deck on it too to play 1970’s hits too…

Hey now, nothing wrong with those 1970’s hits.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

None whatsoever!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

None whatsoever!

1970s hits slap

💃🏾 💃🏾 💃🏾
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject:

As some have said, since this is a coaching search, ok. So far of the names we've seen they do seem more on the inspiring side than the OMG what the hell are these guys thinking.

Griffin from Nurse's staff and Ham from Buldenhozer.

Former NBA players.
Learned from elite championship winning systems.

The only downside is now you have a on the learn GM/Prez in Rob, and an on the learn coach as well.

I would have much preferred if we really wanted a former NBA player turned coach to have found a way to give the keys to Kidd. Kidd has the same criteria they are looking for but 2 big advantages 1) He knew Frank's schemes on D so our D schemes could be elite without Frank 2) He had experience as a head coach to fail to have that learning curve which a rookie head coach will need to have.

This isn't going to be a Golden State level roster so the coach's weaknesses will be exposed. Anyway, lets see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

None whatsoever!

1970s hits slap

💃🏾 💃🏾 💃🏾

Unfortunately, there isn’t much to laugh at these days when it comes to the Lakers.

I’m convinced the clown show will continue as long as the team stays in the Buss family. People can blame Klutch all they want (and rightfully so, in some regards) … but this clown show has existed before, and will continue to exist after Klutch’s days of influence are long gone.
rokobe81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
kwase wrote:
Username wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.

I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.

Not hiring Phil and hiring DumbToni instead might have cost us a championship.

Again, take off your purple gold glasses. Kobe and Pau gasol were no where near their prime in 2014, and other star free agents have spun us during those few years because they didn’t care about laker glamour and played in Kobe’s shadow remember. Also back in 2014 LeBron was in his prime, there’s no way laker even made it to the conference finals with Phil Jackson as the head coach back in 2014.

I think he is referring to 2012. Kobe and Pau were still good enough to win a championship. I still blame Pringles for Kobe's achilles, so we might have had a few more years of prime Kobe.

The D'Antoni hire was a disaster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: