Jeanie Buss interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Username wrote:
Pelinka should resign today. He's going to be the fall guy once again for someone else's decisions, this time the Phil/Magic/Rambii triumvirate.

he is the reason we are where we are

Nope we are here in this stupid situation because she won’t stand by robs decisions and lets klutch and legm do what they want. Keep it 100. Rob had trades lined up but klutch messed that up now she got the three man clown circus of Phil and Linda and Rambis...but let’s all go with the dumb stuff everyone else thinks oooo she so cute...god save Jenny ...poor Jenny blah blah.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Username wrote:
Pelinka should resign today. He's going to be the fall guy once again for someone else's decisions, this time the Phil/Magic/Rambii triumvirate.

Nope we are here in this stupid situation because she won’t stand by robs decisions and lets klutch and legm do what they want. Keep it 100. Rob had trades lined up but klutch messed that up now she got the three man clown circus of Phil and Linda and Rambis...but let’s all go with the dumb stuff everyone else thinks oooo she so cute...god save Jenny ...poor Jenny blah blah.

If you as a GM, are blaming players and their agency, for a call and trade that you had to execute as the Lakers GM, what does that say about you as the GM?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject:

Maybe I’m reading it all wrong, but from what I got from this is that she felt Vogel was the problem and that a new head coach will change things big time.

Everything else was exactly the same ole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Username wrote:

If you as a GM, are blaming players and their agency, for a call and trade that you had to execute as the Lakers GM, what does that say about you as the GM?

Oooo let me help ya with real world situation ....if You are a manager of the company and your employee is on the golf course with the owner of the company and the employee says they want their other best friend to be hired you best believe that friend is being hired....regardless of what You might think...this happens every day. Why? Because the employee got the favor of the owner and the owner scared to put a foot down and let management do their job. The owner wants to stay in favor with the employee smh. So you ie manager want to be fired? Because you will be leaving the company before the best friend

Moreover do you believe trez kcp chandler thot just were there because they were highly “skilled”? Pffft lol ok
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Username wrote:

Oooo let me help ya with real world situation ....if You are a manager of the company and your employee is on the golf course with the owner of the company and the employee says they want their other best friend to be hired you best believe that friend is being hired....regardless of what You might think...this happens every day. Why? Because the employee got the favor of the owner and the owner scared to put a foot down and let management do their job. The owner wants to stay in favor with the employee smh. So you ie manager want to be fired? Because you will be leaving the company before the best friend

Moreover do you believe trez kcp chandler thot just were there because they were highly “skilled”? Pffft lol ok

You didn't answer my question. What does that say about Pelinka then?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject:

You're telling me that LBJ has so much pull, but he couldn't even get his coach of choice (Lue) hired? Or that he apparently wanted AC back but couldn't get that done too?

It's your job as a GM and the rest of ownership, to of course listen to the input of your players (and especially stars). But you are the ultimate decision maker. It's frankly really embarrassing for our FO to intimate that "LBJ made me do this." Make the team look feckless and infantile.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Username wrote:

You didn't answer my question. What does that say about Pelinka then?

Hugh? It means he can’t do his job. What it suppose to say? It’s obvious..smh a gm is suppose to have the backing of the owner but he doesn’t....why? Because she scared to go against others..ie klutch friends legm. Something Mitch and Jim didn’t care about...they going to move their own way...but I tell you this Mitch wouldn’t be able to do nothing without Jim or Jerry standing behind his decisions
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject:

I just read the full article I did not sense that she wouldn’t trade AD and LeBron if she decided to tore it down, all I got from the interview is that she thinks LeBron and Davis can win together but I didn’t gauge on them not being traded if it presented itself, and Pelinka right now is on the hot seat and any positive vibe towards him is to show loyalty.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

I find all of this stuff just lip service at this point but I do think Jeanie and gang are feeling the pressure.

They all screwed up this off season....Westbrook was a terrible decision + old ass roster + the injuries to AD, Nunn and Lebron + inconsistent coaching = formula for disasters.

The pressure is on to do this right in the off season. For me, I don't care for Jeanie, Rambii or Pelinka, but who cares if they are all there next year, they need to deliver a better product out there.

Period....
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

so paying the Luxury tax was really uncomfortable to her... i got it, it would be nice to win a championship without paying luxury tax like 2020, but what is her expecting with 3 aging stars? maybe someone who is comfortable with paying luxury tax should take over the Lakers.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
so paying the Luxury tax was really uncomfortable to her... i got it, it would be nice to win a championship without paying luxury tax like 2020, but what is her expecting with 3 aging stars? maybe someone who is comfortable with paying luxury tax should take over the Lakers.

Quote:
From 2002, there have only been 4 teams that have won the Championship and not paid the Luxury Tax the year they won.

05-06: Heat
13-14: Spurs
14-15: Warriors
16-17: Warriors

The Warriors, however paid the tax in 15-16, 17-18, and 18-19. They will pay again this year.

https://twitter.com/fearthebrown/status/1303397593121202177?s=21

You have to pay to win. Just get out if you can’t hang, Jeanie.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:
I like it. Either the current brain trust of Pelinka/Kurt gets it together or they are gone. Works for me.

Both are incompetent. Why are they still employed? Neither should have a job after last year. But keep firing coaches.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

In fairness, she's not complaining about paying the luxury tax here. She's complaining about paying the luxury tax for a lottery team. That should bother her just as it would bother any owner, and if it's a catalyst for change we should be happy about it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

In fairness, she's not complaining about paying the luxury tax here. She's complaining about paying the luxury tax for a lottery team. That should bother her just as it would bother any owner, and if it's a catalyst for change we should be happy about it.

If that’s the case, fine.

I just don’t think she should be fixated on the luxury tax and if she is, then freaking get a modern NBA front office like all those successful smaller market teams.

If you are going to complain about Luxury tax, then taking a chance on Russ is going to kill your chances and that’s exactly what happened.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie defending the Rambii:

Quote:
“I know that there’s been some unfair criticism of Kurt Rambis,” she said. “I want to remind people, he’s been involved in the NBA for close to 40 years, that he has been a part of championship teams both as a player and assistant coach, he is someone I admire for his basketball knowledge.”

Buss also offered a strong endorsement of Linda Rambis, Kurt’s wife and longtime Buss friend and confidant. There are reports that Linda Rambis has input on basketball decisions, stories that Buss vehemently denied.

“In terms of Linda Rambis, she does not have a role in the basketball department; her role is, as it’s been for the last almost 40 years, is as my advisor,” Buss said. “She and I have worked together for years and years and years. Why that has become an issue for people, I don’t understand.”

So she listens to Kurt because he’s been part of a championship team as a player and assistant coach? Mark Madsen for future Lakers GM!

So Linda doesn’t have a role in the basketball dept, she’s just the advisor of the person making basketball decisions.

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Tue May 10, 2022 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I just don’t think she should be fixated on the luxury tax and if she is, then freaking get a modern NBA front office like all those successful smaller market teams.

If you are going to complain about Luxury tax, then taking a chance on Russ is going to kill your chances and that’s exactly what happened.

That’s the crux of the issue. Her blind spot is that she doesn’t understand that listening to people who are accomplished in other areas of basketball (and more importantly, people she is close to and trusts) isn’t the best way to get the results she wants on the floor. The reason she’s perplexed by the criticism of Kurt is that he won championships as a player and a coach and has the blessing of Phil Jackson. Phil Jackson is the greatest coach of all time. How would he not be an asset to take counsel from? Who could know the ins and outs of the game better than the greatest PG of all time in Magic? Rob was a top agent who earned the respect of Kobe. Her world is insulated. She’s been surrounded by these types her entire adult life. I would bet money that when she hears the criticism that she’s too meddling she is genuinely confused because she thinks she has hired elite people to run things and has written enormous checks to back their decisions. They probably sold her on Westbrook as a superstar that puts them back in contention and the people selling her on it were legends of the game and her closest friends. The solution is for her world to become less insulated. Less dependent on other former Lakers. Less dependent on her friends and loved ones. But how many people have you met that change fundamentally at age 60? She has erected an inner circle that includes elite players, elite coaches, elite agents. The problem is she needs an elite executive and she doesn’t understand the difference.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie isn't a thoughtful person and she doesn't make nuanced comments. Almost everything she says -- positive or negative -- feels riddled in exclamation points, but lacking in content.

She always seems to take responsibility but the slough off responsibility at the same time. ("I will make the hard decisions." "I’m held accountable for every decision that’s made here." "I’m a collaborator, that’s my nature, as opposed to a sole decision maker.")

I don't get the impression she comes into interviews with a strategy of what she wants to communicate. It all feels very shoot from the hip.

All that said, this is the type of interview where it's virtually impossible to satisfy people. She can't really rip into people or reveal any sort of plans.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jeanie isn't a thoughtful person and she doesn't make nuanced comments. Almost everything she says -- positive or negative -- feels riddled in exclamation points, but lacking in content.

She always seems to take responsibility but the slough off responsibility at the same time. ("I will make the hard decisions." "I’m held accountable for every decision that’s made here." "I’m a collaborator, that’s my nature, as opposed to a sole decision maker.")

I don't get the impression she comes into interviews with a strategy of what she wants to communicate. It all feels very shoot from the hip.

All that said, this is the type of interview where it's virtually impossible to satisfy people. She can't really rip into people or reveal any sort of plans.

she's way over her head, which i have nothing against if she can just stick of being a hands off type of owner and hire a true basketball mind to run the team, not bunch of her friends.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

exactly. She seems willing to pay, its up to her subs, to make sure the dollars are spent wisely.

they are not. that's a problem.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject:

If you figure the Lakers are worth with current inflation around 6 billion.

If Jeanie spent 10 million extra it would be the equivalent of someone with 100,000 in the bank spending 167 dollars on something

This narrative about how the Buss family is broke is absurd.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
If you figure the Lakers are worth with current inflation around 6 billion.

If Jeanie spent 10 million extra it would be the equivalent of someone with 100,000 in the bank spending 167 dollars on something

This narrative about how the Buss family is broke is absurd.

There is a big difference between liquid wealth and illiquid wealth. The Lakers are not cash poor, but on the other hand, they aren’t going to spend $340M in a season like Lacob.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's an interesting bit of writing. Plaschke wrote it with the veneer of a puff piece ("staking her claim as the fearless controlling owner of the city’s most celebrated sports franchise"), but a lot of it really doesn't make her look good. She is unapologetic for the way she is doing things. In fact, she doubles down on some of the stuff that draws the most criticism. But Plaschke got his interview.

Yeah. I don't feel better about the Lakers if she has so much confidence in Rambis/Pelinka, and is still dipping in the Magic/Phil pool of knowledge for a game that has passed these all time greats by.

So I read this as yes, we acknowledge all of these problems but to make them better we're going to do more of the same, plus add two more giant egos with questionable GMing abilities into the mix. And also, "I'm responsible for everything...but I'm not going to actually accept any responsibility for the mess I created." And "Linda doesn't make basketball decisions...but she advises me." If she isn't advising about basketball, then why are you paying her?

I'm sure in her delusional way Jeanie somehow thought this interview would make it better. Instead, she just confirmed everyone's worst fears.

The team isn't for sale? Ugh. For god's sake, why not?!

Yep, we're doomed.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

We don't know if she is fixated on it.

Plaschke used that quote high up in the piece, probably because he knew it would push some fans buttons,

But for all we know she might have just mentioned the luxury tax one time in the middle of a long interview, giving it no more importance than the many other topics she touched on.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Shouldn't her "advisor" Linda be prepping her for this stuff? Oh wait, this was Linda prepping her.

Let me rephrase---shouldn't a high net worth individual running an iconic brand in one of the largest media markets in the world hire PR professionals to run damage control for her as she tries to burn her inheritance into the ground? I mean how hard is it in LA to find a competent PR company?

And she absolutely can and should rip into people--namely, herself.

This isn't rocket science: "I take responsibility for the poor decisions I allowed to be made over the last couple of seasons. I know the fans and disappointed and deserve better. I would like to thank Rob, Linda and Kurt for their service, but I have decided the franchise needs a fresh vision and new leadership, run by the best basketball minds in the world. I am employing (insert high powered consulting firm here) to help me search for the most innovative basketball executives, coaches, trainers and analytics people in the world and I will not rest until the Lakers are not just the best product on the court, but in every aspect of basketball ops."

This isn't hard. This shouldn't be complicated for anyone with an IQ over room temperature and access to plenty of money. But if that is too hard, let me write another speech for Jeanie: "I take responsibility for the poor decisions I have made since taking over the team from my brother. After much consideration, to honor the memory of my father, and the Lakers nation, I have decided that it is in the best interest of the team for me to find ownership willing and able to make this the premier franchise in the NBA again. I want to thank Los Angeles and Lakers fans everywhere for your continued support, and know that whomever buys the team will continue the great Lakers tradition."

A or B. Clean house or clean house, yourself included. Accept responsibility for everything in either case. If she doesn't have A or B to say, she might want to consider just not saying anything else anymore because telling us that Rasputin and Rasputina plus Phil and Magic is going to solve everything ain't helping any of sleep better at night. But I'm sure Jeanie can't wait to leak gossip to Platschke about whatever drama ensues between Phil, Magic, Klutch and Rob all vying for power....
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Shouldn't her "advisor" Linda be prepping her for this stuff? Oh wait, this was Linda prepping her.

Let me rephrase---shouldn't a high net worth individual running an iconic brand in one of the largest media markets in the world hire PR professionals to run damage control for her as she tries to burn her inheritance into the ground? I mean how hard is it in LA to find a competent PR company?

And she absolutely can and should rip into people--namely, herself.

This isn't rocket science: "I take responsibility for the poor decisions I allowed to be made over the last couple of seasons. I know the fans and disappointed and deserve better. I would like to thank Rob, Linda and Kurt for their service, but I have decided the franchise needs a fresh vision and new leadership, run by the best basketball minds in the world. I am employing (insert high powered consulting firm here) to help me search for the most innovative basketball executives, coaches, trainers and analytics people in the world and I will not rest until the Lakers are not just the best product on the court, but in every aspect of basketball ops."

This isn't hard. This shouldn't be complicated for anyone with an IQ over room temperature and access to plenty of money. But if that is too hard, let me write another speech for Jeanie: "I take responsibility for the poor decisions I have made since taking over the team from my brother. After much consideration, to honor the memory of my father, and the Lakers nation, I have decided that it is in the best interest of the team for me to find ownership willing and able to make this the premier franchise in the NBA again. I want to thank Los Angeles and Lakers fans everywhere for your continued support, and know that whomever buys the team will continue the great Lakers tradition."

A or B. Clean house or clean house, yourself included. Accept responsibility for everything in either case. If she doesn't have A or B to say, she might want to consider just not saying anything else anymore because telling us that Rasputin and Rasputina plus Phil and Magic is going to solve everything ain't helping any of sleep better at night. But I'm sure Jeanie can't wait to leak gossip to Platschke about whatever drama ensues between Phil, Magic, Klutch and Rob all vying for power....

this is exactly why media loves Jeannie Buss, every time she opens up her mouth, it's $$$ time for whoever interviews her, while at the cost of his "beloved" team to an even more laughing stock
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: