Jeanie Buss interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

So let me get this straight... She implies that she's "growing impatient" then listens to her FRIENDS about basketball decisions and which direction the team should go....

You can't make this (bleep) up... What a moron....

Wish Jerry Buss was still alive so he could kick all his dumbass children out of the Lakers organization...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject:

If you want to knock her for listening to the wrong people, not looking outside her little box of Laker relics, and cutting some financial corners, I'll join you on that. 100% all true and major flaws in the way she does things.

But putting that aside, I actually think this was one of the better interviews I heard from her thus far as an owner.. she takes ultimate accountability while also putting Rob on the clock.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
If you want to knock her for listening to the wrong people, not looking outside her little box of Laker relics, and cutting some financial corners, I'll join you on that. 100% all true and major flaws in the way she does things.

But putting that aside, I actually think this was one of the better interviews I heard from her thus far as an owner.. she takes ultimate accountability while also putting Rob on the clock.

Rob was never the one who actually made decisions. it was always LeBron/Klutch asking something, Rob runs it through the Jeannie and Rambii, Rob was just the executioner of the decisions made by those parties, the perfect fall guy.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject:

The article suggesting that she’s gonna wait until next summer to make changes in the FO is likely just her spit-balling, the Rambii’s will probably stay in power but Klutch/Pelinka are on the hot seat.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
2019 wrote:

Rob was never the one who actually made decisions. it was always LeBron/Klutch asking something, Rob runs it through the Jeannie and Rambii, Rob was just the executioner of the decisions made by those parties, the perfect fall guy.

And the best part is Rob doesn't have a history to fall back on.

He didn't have a stint before the lakers where he was making moves like masai.

He didn't rise through the ranks in a great organization or learned from experienced executives like bob myers with west.

Simply put, he was underqualified the moment he took the job. He doesn't have a resume other than being an agent, which based on other accounts is a bit dubious despite representing kobe.

An easy target to be the first fall guy in the FO because you can't give him the benefit of the doubt.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject:

the responses are funny.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The article suggesting that she’s gonna wait until next summer to make changes in the FO is likely just her spit-balling, the Rambii’s will probably stay in power but Klutch/Pelinka are on the hot seat.

Best case scenario is she gets rid of them this off-season, but at worst they should both be gone after next year.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“I’m growing impatient just because we had the fourth-highest payroll in the league. … When you spend that kind of money on the luxury tax, you expect to go deep into the playoffs.”

To me, she's putting the blame entirely on Rob for the bad results and the decisions that led to them.

I'm assuming that Rob told her about the Russ trade. I just don't think she can hear about that trade, which was a huge risk that everyone was talking about at the time, and then when it blows up, act like she had no idea this was one of the potential outcomes.

Her comment doesn't sound to me like she's being accountable. She's not defending the decisions that led to the fourth-highest payroll or explaining why she believed they were good decisions. She's saying essentially that Rob told me this would work and it didn't.

If she didn't question the cost of the trade, the luxury tax implications, the impact on the team's depth, then she shouldn't be the "controlling owner."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Best case scenario is she gets rid of them this off-season, but at worst they should both be gone after next year.

She won’t reveal her real intentions to someone like Bill Plaschke
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
so paying the Luxury tax was really uncomfortable to her... i got it, it would be nice to win a championship without paying luxury tax like 2020, but what is her expecting with 3 aging stars? maybe someone who is comfortable with paying luxury tax should take over the Lakers.

Quote:
From 2002, there have only been 4 teams that have won the Championship and not paid the Luxury Tax the year they won.

05-06: Heat
13-14: Spurs
14-15: Warriors
16-17: Warriors

The Warriors, however paid the tax in 15-16, 17-18, and 18-19. They will pay again this year.

https://twitter.com/fearthebrown/status/1303397593121202177?s=21

You have to pay to win. Just get out if you can’t hang, Jeanie.

I am fairly confident that 2020 lakers didn’t pay any luxury tax. It’s not just pay the tax or not, it is how much you pay, the warriors tax bill for this season is greater than total luxury tax we ever paid.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

In fairness, she's not complaining about paying the luxury tax here. She's complaining about paying the luxury tax for a lottery team. That should bother her just as it would bother any owner, and if it's a catalyst for change we should be happy about it.

Warriors paid luxury taxes in their lotto seasons, and they paid a lot too
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
Quote:
“I’m growing impatient just because we had the fourth-highest payroll in the league. … When you spend that kind of money on the luxury tax, you expect to go deep into the playoffs.”

To me, she's putting the blame entirely on Rob for the bad results and the decisions that led to them.

I'm assuming that Rob told her about the Russ trade. I just don't think she can hear about that trade, which was a huge risk that everyone was talking about at the time, and then when it blows up, act like she had no idea this was one of the potential outcomes.

Her comment doesn't sound to me like she's being accountable. She's not defending the decisions that led to the fourth-highest payroll or explaining why she believed they were good decisions. She's saying essentially that Rob told me this would work and it didn't.

If she didn't question the cost of the trade, the luxury tax implications, the impact on the team's depth, then she shouldn't be the "controlling owner."

Clearly the majority of people here...not all have zero people management at a high level experience. Her responses are clear, without hysterics, and very a matter of fact.

She has no problem spending a ton if results are connected

She trusts Rob today but expects results

Say whatever you want about her posse, I have to believe none of them ...certainly not PJ and magic are yes men.

She certainly did look to bron for input but maybe less so now

Smart enough to know any comment on Russ would get ethered

Knows they are strapped for assets so hiring a coach that can work with this roster is imperative.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
bluehill wrote:
Quote:

Clearly the majority of people here...not all have zero people management at a high level experience. Her responses are clear, without hysterics, and very a matter of fact.

Say whatever you want about her posse, I have to believe none of them ...certainly not PJ and magic are yes men.

Knows they are strapped for assets so hiring a coach that can work with this roster is imperative.

I agree. That's the problem right there. She's confusing being a manager with being a leader.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
Halflife wrote:
bluehill wrote:
Quote:

I agree. That's the problem right there. She's confusing being a manager with being a leader.

what? She is both, but she has layers. Shes fine. we're fine.

We traded away our youth for a ring= accomplished
Followed with a better team on paper, unfortunately, our leader aged rapidly.
Swung for the fences and failed.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

In fairness, she's not complaining about paying the luxury tax here. She's complaining about paying the luxury tax for a lottery team. That should bother her just as it would bother any owner, and if it's a catalyst for change we should be happy about it.

And? If that became the norm for Golden State I bet you ownership wouldn’t be pleased.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

And? If that became the norm for Golden State I bet you ownership wouldn’t be pleased.

We paid 1 season, they paid 3, so we are further to the norm compare to them. Jeanie wouldn’t pay luxury tax in non contending years.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

We paid 1 season, they paid 3, so we are further to the norm compare to them. Jeanie wouldn’t pay luxury tax in non contending years.

I’m not sure I understand your point. Should she be happy to pay a giant luxury tax bill for a non-playoff team? Do you just want her to happily pay it every year regardless of whether the team is any good or not? She paid the tax, acquired a super max player to go along with 2 other max guys we already have. It was the wrong player to acquire but you see where I’m going. No owner would be happy paying that much and not even making the play-in. She doesn’t have the bankroll these other owners have.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Cannot stand this clown...please sell the team, Jeanie and go away forever.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Proves once again why Jeanie Buss is the best owner in sports, not just NBA.

How many owners sit on their hands and laurels after winning a Championship for decades doing the bare minimum to make themselves richer while team goes to (bleep)? Too many to count. After winning a Championship less than 2 years ago, Jeanie isn't satisfied and wants more and willing to do anything to win again. I wouldn't bet against her.

Btw, some of these Lakers fans are beyond embarrassing. Never seen so many so called fans trying so hard to put an * on their own Championship season just so they can denigrate a great owner. You won't see Spurs fans doing that to their 1998-99 strike shortened season or even Asstros fans doing that to their 2017 cheating season. Only so-called Lakers fans.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:

How many owners sit on their hands and laurels after winning a Championship for decades doing the bare minimum to make themselves richer while team goes to (bleep)? Too many to count. After winning a Championship less than 2 years ago, Jeanie isn't satisfied and wants more and willing to do anything to win again. I wouldn't bet against her.

Btw, some of these Lakers fans are beyond embarrassing. Never seen so many so called fans trying so hard to put an * on their own Championship season just so they can denigrate a great owner. You won't see Spurs fans doing that to their 1998-99 strike shortened season or even Asstros fans doing that to their 2017 cheating season. Only so-called Lakers fans.

except she has one of the highest payrolls. so in a spending game she does more than most. And in a business where winning rings is all that matters shes only a couple years removed.

we good.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
Quote:
“In terms of basketball decisions, I have complete confidence in our front office, which is headed by Rob Pelinka,” she said. “He is a person that is extremely smart, extremely strategic, everything he does is thoughtful and with purpose. … I have complete confidence that he can put together a roster and find a coach that is going to get us back to where we belong.”

Maybe she doesn't want to bash Rob in public, but this statement is almost delusional. If she really believes it, she really hasn't learned much about running a NBA team after all this time.

It's not delusional. Rob has made mistakes. No doubt about it. But when the 6th man of the year (Harrell) and the runnerup to the 6th man of the year (Schroder) signed after we won the 2020 championship everybody talked about how crafty and competent he was. It didn't work out but it was a great idea at the time, but with flaws.

Rob, LeBron & AD deserve blame for the Westbrook fiasco. It was a very, very foolish move. They had another deal lined up before dealing for Westbrook. Something tells me that Rob had it mapped out until he allowed James and Davis to sway him. Probably against his better judgment.

But Rob is competent. I think he's learn a lot about the way to operate after being too influenced by James and Davis. We'll see.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Why the (bleep) does this front office always impose deadlines on itself? Its so (bleep) stupid and doesnt serve anything but to give the media more ammo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:

Wrong, she isn’t willing to do anything to win again, she refuses to build a competent NBA front office.
King Kleazy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jeanie isn't a thoughtful person and she doesn't make nuanced comments. Almost everything she says -- positive or negative -- feels riddled in exclamation points, but lacking in content.

She always seems to take responsibility but the slough off responsibility at the same time. ("I will make the hard decisions." "I’m held accountable for every decision that’s made here." "I’m a collaborator, that’s my nature, as opposed to a sole decision maker.")

I don't get the impression she comes into interviews with a strategy of what she wants to communicate. It all feels very shoot from the hip.

All that said, this is the type of interview where it's virtually impossible to satisfy people. She can't really rip into people or reveal any sort of plans.

Shouldn't her "advisor" Linda be prepping her for this stuff? Oh wait, this was Linda prepping her.

Let me rephrase---shouldn't a high net worth individual running an iconic brand in one of the largest media markets in the world hire PR professionals to run damage control for her as she tries to burn her inheritance into the ground? I mean how hard is it in LA to find a competent PR company?

And she absolutely can and should rip into people--namely, herself.

This isn't rocket science: "I take responsibility for the poor decisions I allowed to be made over the last couple of seasons. I know the fans and disappointed and deserve better. I would like to thank Rob, Linda and Kurt for their service, but I have decided the franchise needs a fresh vision and new leadership, run by the best basketball minds in the world. I am employing (insert high powered consulting firm here) to help me search for the most innovative basketball executives, coaches, trainers and analytics people in the world and I will not rest until the Lakers are not just the best product on the court, but in every aspect of basketball ops."

This isn't hard. This shouldn't be complicated for anyone with an IQ over room temperature and access to plenty of money. But if that is too hard, let me write another speech for Jeanie: "I take responsibility for the poor decisions I have made since taking over the team from my brother. After much consideration, to honor the memory of my father, and the Lakers nation, I have decided that it is in the best interest of the team for me to find ownership willing and able to make this the premier franchise in the NBA again. I want to thank Los Angeles and Lakers fans everywhere for your continued support, and know that whomever buys the team will continue the great Lakers tradition."

A or B. Clean house or clean house, yourself included. Accept responsibility for everything in either case. If she doesn't have A or B to say, she might want to consider just not saying anything else anymore because telling us that Rasputin and Rasputina plus Phil and Magic is going to solve everything ain't helping any of sleep better at night. But I'm sure Jeanie can't wait to leak gossip to Platschke about whatever drama ensues between Phil, Magic, Klutch and Rob all vying for power....

THIS, EVERYTHING WRITTEN HERE IS 100% Correct!!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject:

^RG73 is not taking prisoners.

Completely agree. I am OK with Jeannie as the owner but stop trying to make decisions, farm that out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: