Jeanie Buss interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Go Jeanie Go!
Lets get that ring!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
You have to pay to win. Just get out if you can’t hang, Jeanie.

In fairness, she's not complaining about paying the luxury tax here. She's complaining about paying the luxury tax for a lottery team. That should bother her just as it would bother any owner, and if it's a catalyst for change we should be happy about it.

Warriors paid luxury taxes in their lotto seasons, and they paid a lot too

And? If that became the norm for Golden State I bet you ownership wouldn’t be pleased.

We paid 1 season, they paid 3, so we are further to the norm compare to them. Jeanie wouldn’t pay luxury tax in non contending years.

I’m not sure I understand your point. Should she be happy to pay a giant luxury tax bill for a non-playoff team? Do you just want her to happily pay it every year regardless of whether the team is any good or not? She paid the tax, acquired a super max player to go along with 2 other max guys we already have. It was the wrong player to acquire but you see where I’m going. No owner would be happy paying that much and not even making the play-in. She doesn’t have the bankroll these other owners have.

Luxury tax is the first thing she brings up when talked about last season. A lot of owners paid stupid amount of luxury tax and was disappointed, but they don’t talk about the luxury tax. Everyone is disappointed with last season, but I am not sure why luxury tax is something on top of her list when she was too cheap to bring back AC before the season.
She is not the right owner for Lakers, maybe the spurs would be perfect for her.
King Kleazy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe so many post from Linda and Kurt have been put up here supporting Jeanie's interview. It's also crazy that the ONE FORMER LAKER that she should listen to about our areas of concern in tht FO she has an issue with..... LOGO
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
You have to pay to win. Just get out if you can’t hang, Jeanie.

In fairness, she's not complaining about paying the luxury tax here. She's complaining about paying the luxury tax for a lottery team. That should bother her just as it would bother any owner, and if it's a catalyst for change we should be happy about it.

Warriors paid luxury taxes in their lotto seasons, and they paid a lot too

And? If that became the norm for Golden State I bet you ownership wouldn’t be pleased.

We paid 1 season, they paid 3, so we are further to the norm compare to them. Jeanie wouldn’t pay luxury tax in non contending years.

I’m not sure I understand your point. Should she be happy to pay a giant luxury tax bill for a non-playoff team? Do you just want her to happily pay it every year regardless of whether the team is any good or not? She paid the tax, acquired a super max player to go along with 2 other max guys we already have. It was the wrong player to acquire but you see where I’m going. No owner would be happy paying that much and not even making the play-in. She doesn’t have the bankroll these other owners have.

Luxury tax is the first thing she brings up when talked about last season. A lot of owners paid stupid amount of luxury tax and was disappointed, but they don’t talk about the luxury tax. Everyone is disappointed with last season, but I am not sure why luxury tax is something on top of her list when she was too cheap to bring back AC before the season.
She is not the right owner for Lakers, maybe the spurs would be perfect for her.

Just because it’s the first thing quoted in the article doesn’t mean it was the first thing brought up but if she talks about it more than most it’s probably because it impacts her more than most. She’s probably among the poorest owners in the league. I agree she’s not the right owner but she’s going to be the owner for probably the rest of her life. I’d rather have her angry at something if it means changes are coming than if she were happy and satisfied with how things are going.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
But when the 6th man of the year (Harrell) and the runnerup to the 6th man of the year (Schroder) signed after we won the 2020 championship everybody talked about how crafty and competent he was.

Whoa, there. That's not accurate. Look, there are always going to be some people who support any move that the Lakers make. If we traded a first-round pick for a case of toilet paper, those folks would talk about how Pelinka was being smart by preparing for the next pandemic. We're talkin about optimists and glass-is-half-full folks.

So yeah, there were people talking about what crafty moves Pelinka made. A lot of those folks cheered for the Mozgov/Deng signings and were ecstatic about the Westbrook trade. Do you remember the people who were excited about Dion Waiters? Andre Drummond? This used to annoy me, but now I try not to get mad at people for being positive, even when it is borderline delusional.

But no, crowd cheering for Harrell and Schroder was not everybody, not by a long shot. There were plenty of us who were puzzled that we signed a Clippers castoff and traded good assets for an egotistical point guard who wore out his welcome in Atlanta. There were plenty of us who were bashing Pelinka's roster construction. We just didn't know how bad it was going to get.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“I’m growing impatient"

"did not get the results that we were looking for. … I’m not happy."

"I’m not satisfied.”

Then stop interfering.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jeanie isn't a thoughtful person and she doesn't make nuanced comments. Almost everything she says -- positive or negative -- feels riddled in exclamation points, but lacking in content.

She always seems to take responsibility but the slough off responsibility at the same time. ("I will make the hard decisions." "I’m held accountable for every decision that’s made here." "I’m a collaborator, that’s my nature, as opposed to a sole decision maker.")

I don't get the impression she comes into interviews with a strategy of what she wants to communicate. It all feels very shoot from the hip.

All that said, this is the type of interview where it's virtually impossible to satisfy people. She can't really rip into people or reveal any sort of plans.

Shouldn't her "advisor" Linda be prepping her for this stuff? Oh wait, this was Linda prepping her.

Let me rephrase---shouldn't a high net worth individual running an iconic brand in one of the largest media markets in the world hire PR professionals to run damage control for her as she tries to burn her inheritance into the ground? I mean how hard is it in LA to find a competent PR company?

And she absolutely can and should rip into people--namely, herself.

This isn't rocket science: "I take responsibility for the poor decisions I allowed to be made over the last couple of seasons. I know the fans and disappointed and deserve better. I would like to thank Rob, Linda and Kurt for their service, but I have decided the franchise needs a fresh vision and new leadership, run by the best basketball minds in the world. I am employing (insert high powered consulting firm here) to help me search for the most innovative basketball executives, coaches, trainers and analytics people in the world and I will not rest until the Lakers are not just the best product on the court, but in every aspect of basketball ops."

This isn't hard. This shouldn't be complicated for anyone with an IQ over room temperature and access to plenty of money. But if that is too hard, let me write another speech for Jeanie: "I take responsibility for the poor decisions I have made since taking over the team from my brother. After much consideration, to honor the memory of my father, and the Lakers nation, I have decided that it is in the best interest of the team for me to find ownership willing and able to make this the premier franchise in the NBA again. I want to thank Los Angeles and Lakers fans everywhere for your continued support, and know that whomever buys the team will continue the great Lakers tradition."

A or B. Clean house or clean house, yourself included. Accept responsibility for everything in either case. If she doesn't have A or B to say, she might want to consider just not saying anything else anymore because telling us that Rasputin and Rasputina plus Phil and Magic is going to solve everything ain't helping any of sleep better at night. But I'm sure Jeanie can't wait to leak gossip to Platschke about whatever drama ensues between Phil, Magic, Klutch and Rob all vying for power....

Sure, that's a lot of fans wet dream. Jeanie stands in front of a mic and says, "I am the cause of everything wrong, and I will sell the team to someone more capable."

Of course, it won't happen. Jeanie has seen fans angry at her family and demanding they sell for half her life.

So she will periodically give an interview, where she will generally say something stupid that upsets people, and then she will disappear for a while. That's her MO.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Getting advice from Phil or even LeBron in itself isn't a bad thing, but the problem is some of the decisions the team has made as a whole, and the fact that people like the Rambii and Rob Pelinka are running the Lakers.

The problem with hiring friends and family is that they'll tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear, and there won't be enough out of the box thinking.

I agree with others in this thread that this franchise hasn't had a clear vision or process of how to win. It keeps chasing big names and a third superstar while turning over the roster every year and signing every non-star to one or two-year contracts.

I think Jeanie Buss is a good human being, but she has proven to be lackluster at staffing her business with the right men and women. Other once-great organizations have fallen from grace because of their insistence on giving prominent position to family members instead of hiring the best people.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Parsing and grouping the quotes:

***Quotes on How She Feels about Last Season

“This last year was extremely disappointing … it was hugely disappointing,” she said. “I feel like we let down Laker fans, and don’t want to do that again, and we’ve got to get it right.”

“Yeah, it was heartbreaking to see us lose games,” she said.

"I’m growing impatient just because we had the fourth-highest payroll in the league. … When you spend that kind of money on the luxury tax, you expect to go deep into the playoffs,” she told The Times. “So, yeah, it was gut-wrenching for me to go out on a limb like that and not get the results that we were looking for. … I’m not happy, I’m not satisfied.

***Quotes about Her Management

“We don’t like to be missing the playoffs, I understand the fans anger and frustration,” she said. “I’ve got to make it better.” Even if this means eventually making changes? “Absolutely, if we are not living up to the Lakers standard, absolutely I will look at everything,” she said, later adding, “I will make the hard decisions, because that’s what you have to do.”

“I’m kind of like my dad, where it’s kind of like, let the players, let the team, be the focus, not me,” she said. “But I get that I have been kind of in the background too much for people to understand what’s going on.

Do James and Klutch Sports run the Lakers? “Do they have final say? No. Are they running the team? No, no, not at all,” said Buss. “I am controlling owner of the Los Angeles Lakers, I’m held accountable for every decision that’s made here.”

I’m a collaborator, that’s my nature, as opposed to a sole decision maker,” said Buss

***Quotes about Her Executive Team

Rob Pelinka
“In terms of basketball decisions, I have complete confidence in our front office, which is headed by Rob Pelinka,” she said. “He is a person that is extremely smart, extremely strategic, everything he does is thoughtful and with purpose. … I have complete confidence that he can put together a roster and find a coach that is going to get us back to where we belong.”

Kurt Rambis
“I know that there’s been some unfair criticism of Kurt Rambis,” she said. “I want to remind people, he’s been involved in the NBA for close to 40 years, that he has been a part of championship teams both as a player and assistant coach, he is someone I admire for his basketball knowledge.”

Linda Rambis
“In terms of Linda Rambis, she does not have a role in the basketball department; her role is, as it’s been for the last almost 40 years, is as my advisor,” Buss said. “She and I have worked together for years and years and years. Why that has become an issue for people, I don’t understand. Every team has somebody like that, in our case it’s Linda. … She’s done that for over 30 years with the Lakers,” Buss said. “Not like all of a sudden she’s become the assistant general manager, that’s not true.”

Magic Johnson
“It was a big surprise,” she acknowledged of Johnson’s spontaneous decision to quit and ensuing criticism of the team. “I appreciate his honesty, I kind of wish it was just a little bit different. However, she said, “I would never want him to stay in a job where he wasn’t happy. Bottom line, the Lakers are important to him and he wants the Lakers to win, and he wants the Lakers to be on top. I know that’s in his heart, and I trust him, and … my relationship with him is as good as it’s ever been.” So is she relying on him again? “Absolutely,” she said.

Phil Jackson
“People see us around town, we have breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever … it’s not anything romantic,” she said. “He’s somebody that knows this environment and knows the challenges I have and wants to see the Lakers successful, so he’s somebody I know doesn’t have any other agenda than for the Lakers to be successful, so he’s somebody that I can lean on.”

LeBron James
“It’s normal when you have a top player or players you bounce things off of them, I think that’s smart business,” she said. I want him to feel confident in the team, that we have the pieces to win a championship,” Buss said. “He has to be happy. … I want to make sure that he’s happy.”

Dr. Jerry Buss
“In terms of selling the team, I’m not going anywhere. This is exactly what my dad asked me to do,” she said, adding, “The team is not for sale.”
“This was something that was important to him, that he wanted me to keep the Lakers in the family,” she said. “I like to say, my dad had his children, but the Lakers were his baby, and he put me in charge of the baby, and I will make sure that the baby thrives.”

***Quotes About the Team Outlook

Buss would not speculate about how Westbrook fits into that roster, saying, "Having a conversation like that is premature. We have to now find the right coach to lead this team. Depending on the style of play that that coach wants to play, given the roster that we have, it all has to start to come together."

There’s no reason for me to think we can’t win with them,” she said. “Something that I learned from Phil Jackson is that there’s always a path to success. … Sometimes it might be a little bit harder than other times, … but you have to see the ability.”

***Quotes to Make You Feel Warm and Fuzzy Inside

I want Lakers fans to be optimistic that we’re going to get the team back on track just as they expect,” she said. “We want to make sure we live up to the Lakers’ past as we go forward into the future.”

“It’s a hostile world out there and you have to be careful … but I don’t want to lose that feeling of being accessible to the fans,” she said. “One of the last games, a woman came over with her baby, and she stuck her baby in my arms so I could take a picture with her baby. … The baby was head-to-toe Lakers.” She added, “That’s the most important thing to her is her child, and the idea that she would want her child identified as a Lakers fan even at 6 months old, and that she wanted a photo of me with her child, that’s the greatest compliment that you could get, and I’m not going to turn away from that.”
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
2019 wrote:
If you want to knock her for listening to the wrong people, not looking outside her little box of Laker relics, and cutting some financial corners, I'll join you on that. 100% all true and major flaws in the way she does things.

But putting that aside, I actually think this was one of the better interviews I heard from her thus far as an owner.. she takes ultimate accountability while also putting Rob on the clock.

Rob was never the one who actually made decisions. it was always LeBron/Klutch asking something, Rob runs it through the Jeannie and Rambii, Rob was just the executioner of the decisions made by those parties, the perfect fall guy.

Hammer, meet nail.

Pelinka is just the scapegoat. Just like Vogel was. There's too many cooks in the kitchen here between Jeanie, Phil, Magic, Rob, Kurt, (insert Buss sibling). The one that will ultimately take the fall for it is Rob.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject:

When your aim is to win the championship, you need to be prepared to spend money especially when your culture is to build through acquiring stars instead of via draft and asset management. If not because we needed to clear cap space for the 3rd max player, there were many role players we could have kept that would be great for us such as Nance, Zubac and Hart.

In order to maintain competitiveness, it is important to be able to build via draft. For example, Spurs was top contender for about 10 years because they drafted Duncan then Parker and Ginobili and then lastly Leonard. Even then, Spurs have now fallen out of the playoff spot. Sometimes you just need to be patience. When you give your team a deadline to reach an unrealistic goal, it is either your GM will do something crazy that they wouldn't have done in usual circumstances or the other team will try to take advantage of you because they know you are desperate.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Besides, she believes the Lakers can win another championship with James and Anthony Davis as their cornerstones.

“There’s no reason for me to think we can’t win with them,” she said. “Something that I learned from Phil Jackson is that there’s always a path to success. … Sometimes it might be a little bit harder than other times, … but you have to see the ability.”

Jeanie Buss is seeing that ability and will hold her employees accountable to see the same thing.

“I want Lakers fans to be optimistic that we’re going to get the team back on track just as they expect,” she said. “We want to make sure we live up to the Lakers’ past as we go forward into the future.”

I wonder what she knows about the CBA and the fact that the only tool the team has this summer is the 6 million MLE which may not may not be enough to bring back Monk.

Prediction:
Next season will be about LBJ's scoring title. Revenue generated despite of missing the playoffs. Pelinka fired or resign. 1st rounder swapped. Massive cap space and yet no superstar to sign.

I wonder which top coach candidate will take this job when the outlook is being fired after two seasons of missing the playoffs. The pay must be good.

Sorry, I am not optmistic at all.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32049869/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2022-2023

Last edited by LaxT on Wed May 11, 2022 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Gave an interview because many thiught she was too quiet, others said that she should not talk - lol

Some have shared that she should use a “good PR team” to filter her comments while I appreciate her candor

Lakers have one of the “poorest” ownership, yet they have the fourth highest payroll in the NBA

Some say that The Logo should be part of the decision process while West has repeatedly stated that there are hard feelings to Jeanie

Having LBJ, AD, Westbrook, Melo, Dwight and others in your team SHOULD be in the playoffs is a reasonable expectation and assumption

Many have shared that one needs to go through “The Process” quickly forgot the many years where wondering which lottery pick we will get and being impatient on waiting for the young players to grow up - with the only one being BI who is just now blossoming. Laker fans will NOT wait

Jeanie should sell the team, who else will have the passion and commitment as her - nobody. For many owners, having a NBA team is just another toy. For Jeanie, it is her life

Any smart leader will have many people being consulted, which is done with all NBA teams not named Lakers. When we won the ring, nobody complained about the people she consulted

If people who want a new owner, beware that you might get a “Frank McCourt” or a Vivek Ranadivé or a James L. Dolan.

Jeanie has remained accessible and accountable in accomplishing her passion, getting RINGS

I can live with that - anytime
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject:

We are so done. This woman is a clown, and talks about this team like a mom and pops store, not a 5 billion dollar global enterprise. And being a cheapskate is the cherry on top. Sell this franchise already, ffs.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Some say that The Logo should be part of the decision process while West has repeatedly stated that there are hard feelings to Jeanie

Many have shared that one needs to go through “The Process” quickly forgot the many years where wondering which lottery pick we will get and being impatient on waiting for the young players to grow up - with the only one being BI who is just now blossoming. Laker fans will NOT wait

Jeanie should sell the team, who else will have the passion and commitment as her - nobody. For many owners, having a NBA team is just another toy. For Jeanie, it is her life

Any smart leader will have many people being consulted, which is done with all NBA teams not named Lakers. When we won the ring, nobody complained about the people she consulted

1. But West wanted to come back, just Jeanie didn't want him to

2. Very false assumption. I was willing to wait for the prospect to grow. I'm sure I was not the only one

3. If she only has the passion but can't figure out what to do, does passion really matters? Does James Dolan has passion to let Knicks be great? (I genuinely don't know)

4. Another false assumption. I was upset that Jeanie decided to say no to Jerry West and again I was not the only one.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:19 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

I can live with that - anytime

You speak as if a team can choose not to miss the playoffs. That is not true. When a lottery team lacks the talent, assets and tools to improve, it will miss the playoffs again.

Face the reality, this is a lottery team with limited means to rebound in the near future. Live with that.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject:

I think it's very reasonable to think that the Lakers can get back into the playoffs. 33 wins with an injury riddled AD, and Westbrook being a poor fit, with a coach the Lakers gave lame duck status with their BS 1 year extension and no support staff with Rambis sitting in on coaching meetings.

A healthy AD season (which is anything north of 65 games) and some stability can get the Lakers into that 43-45 win window where they'll be a playoff team. I definitely think we'll be able to get back in the playoffs. But what worries me about Jeanie's plan is it seems completely putting the accountabilty on the coaching staff, and belief in AD/Bron, when in reality the issues are far deeper. Her support for Kurt Rambis and Pelinka is unfounded. What has Rambis ever done as a coach to have the authority to sit in on coacihng meetings? Pelinka has failed in every big 3 plan he has pursued (Kawhi, Westbrook trade) and has shown he can not build a steady longterm roster, yet Jeanie shows 100% faith in Pelinka and Rambis. That's my real issue with her, she's being conned into thinking that this was just a coaching problem. It was so much deeper than that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject:

Plaschke unfortunately avoided the good questions.
Should've asked her about letting Caruso go, about Westbrook's fit, filling the roster with geriatric players, the revolving doors of changing 90% of the roster every damn year.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Should've asked her about letting Caruso go, about Westbrook's fit, filling the roster with geriatric players, the revolving doors of changing 90% of the roster every damn year.

Straight up questions:

1) Why do you trust a FO that made a Westbrook trade?
2) You're complaining about paying tax for a lottery team, but you trust a FO that chose to let Caruso walk and all season you suffered on perimeter defense?
3) Were you happy with the FO's decision to go with an old aging roster based on name appeal vs actual merit on the court?
4) What coach could have taken this group to a better place?

She trusts Rob 100%, yet Rob is the one who put the team together according to what she is saying. They scapegoated Vogel, but fail to see Kidd is doing solid using Vogel's shemes on a much lesser Dallas team, only because the Dallas team has enough defensive balance and some continuity with their moves.

I feel her entire interview was just a giant indirect piss on the coaching staff, and to prop her own team/associates in the FO. Her team is resposible for the current situation, and instead of acknowledging that they need more help, she instead props them more. In contrast, let me tell you what she was saying about the coaching staff 20 games into the season "It's too early to judge, with all the injuries". She never gave the coaching staff the same credit she gives her buddies in the FO even though their roles were critical in the championship run as well. We let Hollins, Kidd etc all go without being properly replaced.

Sorry, this is grade A (bleep) from Jeanie, IMO. And I have zero problems with her personally, I've always given her a fair chance. But even after this disaster she fails to see that there is problems with her set up in the FO. A new coach and voice won't change a 33 win team into a 56 win team title level team. 6 coaches in 11 years. It's not always the coaches. Jeanie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:

Straight up questions:

2) You're complaining about paying tax for a lottery team, but you trust a FO that chose to let Caruso walk and all season you suffered on perimeter defense?
3) Were you happy with the FO's decision to go with an old aging roster based on name appeal vs actual merit on the court?

She trusts Rob 100%, yet Rob is the one who put the team together according to what she is saying. They scapegoated Vogel, but fail to see Kidd is doing solid using Vogel's shemes on a much lesser Dallas team, only because the Dallas team has enough defensive balance and some continuity with their moves.

I feel her entire interview was just a giant indirect piss on the coaching staff, and to prop her own team/associates in the FO. Her team is resposible for the current situation, and instead of acknowledging that they need more help, she instead props them more. In contrast, let me tell you what she was saying about the coaching staff 20 games into the season "It's too early to judge, with all the injuries". She never gave the coaching staff the same credit she gives her buddies in the FO even though their roles were critical in the championship run as well. We let Hollins, Kidd etc all go without being properly replaced.

Sorry, this is grade A (bleep) from Jeanie, IMO. And I have zero problems with her personally, I've always given her a fair chance. But even after this disaster she fails to see that there is problems with her set up in the FO. A new coach and voice won't change a 33 win team into a 56 win team title level team. 6 coaches in 11 years. It's not always the coaches. Jeanie.

Exactly.

She's "not happy" with the results but doesn't connect the dots. It was Pelinka and Rambis who made this mess.
Instead... she gives them props.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject:

Egos are in plenty supply in Lakers Kingdom
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

2. Very false assumption. I was willing to wait for the prospect to grow. I'm sure I was not the only one

3. If she only has the passion but can't figure out what to do, does passion really matters? Does James Dolan has passion to let Knicks be great? (I genuinely don't know)

4. Another false assumption. I was upset that Jeanie decided to say no to Jerry West and again I was not the only one.

incompetent and insecure mom and pop owners don't want to hire people smarter than them to run their company. it's human nature. what would happen to her BFF linda rambis and kurt rambis, and phil if jerry west is in charge?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:

Straight up questions:

she said rob runs basketball decisions. So any answer she gave on these may not be accurate.

Of course its grade A bleep to you and some others.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:

Straight up questions:

she said rob runs basketball decisions. So any answer she gave on these may not be accurate.

Of course its grade A bleep to you and some others.

Do tell us who "really" runs the show. Who is doing the negotiating for the trades (and getting routinely destroyed)? If you don't understand that the rot starts from up high, and that the institutional pillars of the team post-Dr. Buss (be it Jim and now Jeanie) are rotten, not sure what to tell you.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

incompetent and insecure mom and pop owners don't want to hire people smarter than them to run their company. it's human nature. what would happen to her BFF linda rambis and kurt rambis, and phil if jerry west is in charge?
Jerry West made the decision to not do anything with the Lakers (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jerry-west-calls-relationship-with-lakers-horrible-says-its-too-late-for-any-kind-of-reconciliation/amp/)

Most Laker fans would not have the patience to wait until now for tangible results - noting BI’s improvement, Randle’s rise/fall, Clarkson finding his place as a 6th man not a starting PG, Hart as a dependable bench guy, DLo finding his niche as a complimentary player with TWolves, etc - as oppose to winning a ring a couple years ago.

Jeanie has shown that she has the passion know and that she has allowed her basketball people to make roster decisions while providing them the financial means to make trades from LBJ to AD to Westbrook

As shared by various sport pundits on tv and radio, all team owners have a close circle of friends that they have known for a long time (in and out of sports) to give input into decisions from LBJ to Balmer to Jeanie (who is more highly scrutinized because she owns the Lakers and she still is accessible to the general public despite death threats).

Jeanie rolled the dice with Westbrook and it came up snake eyes.
Jeanie rolled the dice with AD, hence the ring
Jeanie rolled the dice with Magic and Rob, hence the ring

If “Mom and Pop Store operations” is taken that she doesn’t have the financial resources to do what is necessary, she has shown that the assumption is incorrect. In our Salary Cap era, having unlimited financial resources is not the clear advantage as it was before

Laker fans have far less patience, shown far greater scrutiny of team’s success, much higher expectations EVERY year, etc because we care at a much amplified levels because our team is the NBA’s greatest franchise - a place where the Warriors to the Clippers to the Spurs to the Nets to the 76ers, etc - as this thread/board has consistently confirmed
Note: deliberately leaving out the hated Celtics

We Care

Should the team and it’s operations be criticized - YES

IMHO - Are we lucky to have Jeanie in charge, yes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: