Jeanie Buss interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
Proves once again why Jeanie Buss is the best owner in sports, not just NBA.

How many owners sit on their hands and laurels after winning a Championship for decades doing the bare minimum to make themselves richer while team goes to (bleep)? Too many to count. After winning a Championship less than 2 years ago, Jeanie isn't satisfied and wants more and willing to do anything to win again. I wouldn't bet against her.

Btw, some of these Lakers fans are beyond embarrassing. Never seen so many so called fans trying so hard to put an * on their own Championship season just so they can denigrate a great owner. You won't see Spurs fans doing that to their 1998-99 strike shortened season or even Asstros fans doing that to their 2017 cheating season. Only so-called Lakers fans.

She's not a great owner. A great owner doesn't fire the head coach that got her her first NBA Championship less than 2 years ago. A great owner doesn't fail to maintain a championship culture by getting the right players on the roster. A great owner doesn't sit back and let minions do her thinking for her. Jeanie Buss is starting to be more and more like her onscreen character in that HBO series; gullible, indecisive, and too reliant on friend/others making decisions for her. She seems like a good person, but as an owner, she is as incompetent as her front office. But then again, birds of a feather...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject:

The mistakes in managing the roster/salaries and then blaming coaches goes well beyond KLUTCH and pre-KLUTCH.

Hiring Byron Scott, who was the worst coach the Lakers had in the last 11 years, who was awful for development of younger talent, just a "voice" for Kobe to respect/get along with. Ok, you did it for Kobe, so we can overlook it. Kobe is one of the few guys even if he hated a coach he would play hard because that's just how Kobe was wired, but ok, lets put it on that KFT.

They've been putting it on D'Antoni or Mike Brown before that, Jeanie was all over the place on D'Antoni, basically, when the roster in itself also had issues while she was arguing openly with her brother Jim. It was always someone else's fault.

Deng? Mozgov? Those are pre-klutch decisions made by one of the Buss kids in power.

When will Jeanie or the Buss kids get - You don't want to interfere, but by surrounding yourself with only people who are unproven as executives (or taking the role on yourself like Jim did) that in itself is leading to mismanagement.

Since Jeanie likes to bring it up as expecations of being a Laker, Laker fans deserve an elite executive and coach, Jeanie. If anything. You decided to go to your 3rd choice HC (who end up delievring championship and elite defensive schemes/system) due to money and then fired the 3rd choice the moment he couldn't turn poop into gold defensively.

I LOL at blaming Klutch. I am not a Klutch supporter, but the more I think about it, the more I see evidence that we should thank heavens Klutch chose us as Lebron's next destination. With the Buss kids running things, we may have gone an entire decade with 0 playoffs and 0 titles. At least we got 2 playoffs and 1 title. It's a sad realization, but it may be true. If not for Klutch, there may not have been even 1 title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
The mistakes and blaming coaches goes well beyond KLUTCH and pre-KLUTCH.

Hiring Byron Scott, who was the worst coach the Lakers had in the last 11 years, who was awful for development of younger talent, just a "voice" for Kobe to respect/get along with. Ok, you did it for Kobe, so we can overlook it.

They've been putting it on D'Antoni or Mike Brown before that, Jeanie was all over the place on D'Antoni, basically, when the roster in itself also had issues while she was arguing openly with her brother Jim. It was always someone else's fault.

Deng? Mozgov? Those are pre-klutch decisions made by the Buss kids.

When will Jeanie or the Buss kids get - You don't want to interfere, but by surrounding yourself with only people who are unproven as executives (or taking the role on yourself like Jim did) that in itself is leading to mismanagement.

Since Jeanie likes to bring it up as expecations of being a Laker, Laker fans deserve an elite executive and coach, Jeanie. If anything. You decided to go to your 3rd choice HC (who end up delievring championship and elite defensive schemes/system) due to money and then fired the 3rd choice the moment he couldn't turn poop into gold defensively.

I LOL at blaming Klutch. I am not a Klutch supporter, but the more I think about it, the more I see evidence that we should thank heavens Klutch chose us as Lebron's next destination. With the Buss kids running things, we may have gone an entire decade with 0 playoffs and 0 titles. At least we got 2 playoffs and 1 title.

100% this Wolf. I think blaming Klutch squarely ignores the fact that without them, we wouldn't have a ring but also we may be on a 10+ consecutive year streak of missing the playoffs. The 2020 ring papered over so much that is wrong with this leadership structure, and to witness the FO/ownership systematically deconstruct the championship core and then of all things, trade for Russ, shows incompetence at the highest levels. I'm scared to see what a Klutch-less Lakers team looks like to be honest.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Plaschke unfortunately avoided the good questions.
Should've asked her about letting Caruso go, about Westbrook's fit, filling the roster with geriatric players, the revolving doors of changing 90% of the roster every damn year.

Jeanie would have kicked him out if he'd gone there. The "interview" was controlled, trust me.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:
Should've asked her about letting Caruso go, about Westbrook's fit, filling the roster with geriatric players, the revolving doors of changing 90% of the roster every damn year.

Straight up questions:

1) Why do you trust a FO that made a Westbrook trade?
2) You're complaining about paying tax for a lottery team, but you trust a FO that chose to let Caruso walk and all season you suffered on perimeter defense?
3) Were you happy with the FO's decision to go with an old aging roster based on name appeal vs actual merit on the court?
4) What coach could have taken this group to a better place?

She trusts Rob 100%, yet Rob is the one who put the team together according to what she is saying. They scapegoated Vogel, but fail to see Kidd is doing solid using Vogel's shemes on a much lesser Dallas team, only because the Dallas team has enough defensive balance and some continuity with their moves.

I feel her entire interview was just a giant indirect piss on the coaching staff, and to prop her own team/associates in the FO. Her team is resposible for the current situation, and instead of acknowledging that they need more help, she instead props them more. In contrast, let me tell you what she was saying about the coaching staff 20 games into the season "It's too early to judge, with all the injuries". She never gave the coaching staff the same credit she gives her buddies in the FO even though their roles were critical in the championship run as well. We let Hollins, Kidd etc all go without being properly replaced.

Sorry, this is grade A (bleep) from Jeanie, IMO. And I have zero problems with her personally, I've always given her a fair chance. But even after this disaster she fails to see that there is problems with her set up in the FO. A new coach and voice won't change a 33 win team into a 56 win team title level team. 6 coaches in 11 years. It's not always the coaches. Jeanie.

she said rob runs basketball decisions. So any answer she gave on these may not be accurate.

Of course its grade A bleep to you and some others.

Do tell us who "really" runs the show. Who is doing the negotiating for the trades (and getting routinely destroyed)? If you don't understand that the rot starts from up high, and that the institutional pillars of the team post-Dr. Buss (be it Jim and now Jeanie) are rotten, not sure what to tell you.

Jenny runs the circus at the end of the day. However she letting the employees instead of management run the company smh. Also she got the 3 shadow friends do co tuning also Rambo Linda And Phil none with good track records on running a team or building one.
All she had to do was make one good decision in her life. Just one right decision and that was saying yes to logo to come back. She could have then sailed off to do her usual nothingness after that move. She could go on media outlet and do the usual cuteness and take no blame junk which she does till this day smh.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:

Straight up questions:

2) You're complaining about paying tax for a lottery team, but you trust a FO that chose to let Caruso walk and all season you suffered on perimeter defense?
3) Were you happy with the FO's decision to go with an old aging roster based on name appeal vs actual merit on the court?

She trusts Rob 100%, yet Rob is the one who put the team together according to what she is saying. They scapegoated Vogel, but fail to see Kidd is doing solid using Vogel's shemes on a much lesser Dallas team, only because the Dallas team has enough defensive balance and some continuity with their moves.

I feel her entire interview was just a giant indirect piss on the coaching staff, and to prop her own team/associates in the FO. Her team is resposible for the current situation, and instead of acknowledging that they need more help, she instead props them more. In contrast, let me tell you what she was saying about the coaching staff 20 games into the season "It's too early to judge, with all the injuries". She never gave the coaching staff the same credit she gives her buddies in the FO even though their roles were critical in the championship run as well. We let Hollins, Kidd etc all go without being properly replaced.

Sorry, this is grade A (bleep) from Jeanie, IMO. And I have zero problems with her personally, I've always given her a fair chance. But even after this disaster she fails to see that there is problems with her set up in the FO. A new coach and voice won't change a 33 win team into a 56 win team title level team. 6 coaches in 11 years. It's not always the coaches. Jeanie.

she said rob runs basketball decisions. So any answer she gave on these may not be accurate.

Of course its grade A bleep to you and some others.

Do tell us who "really" runs the show. Who is doing the negotiating for the trades (and getting routinely destroyed)? If you don't understand that the rot starts from up high, and that the institutional pillars of the team post-Dr. Buss (be it Jim and now Jeanie) are rotten, not sure what to tell you.

Facts are

She got the golden egg in bron

won a ring

Followed up ring with a better team on paper, unfortunately, the the FO didn't see bron breaking down this badly or quickly

Swung for the fences and missed. And regardless of the geniuses here who have zero ability to GM, coach etc Vegas, who is much smarter than all of us had us as co-favorites to start the year.

Bleep happens. If you think I am hanging the success of the team on whether caruso was signed or not, you have the wrong guy.

In regard to kidd.

Option A
Coach an old broken down, IMHO uncoachable bron + a talented yet brittle brow under the microscope of Los Angeles

or

Option B
Coach arguably the 2nd best player in the league who plays a similar role as he did in a far more forgiving market.

we know he chose the smart one.

We know jeanie spends money. facts show that. This past year it wasn't smart money.

We are all keyboard warriors without the slightest understanding of how the sausage is made. I get the outcry. Its the culture.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Option A
Coach an old broken down, IMHO uncoachable bron + a talented yet brittle brow under the microscope of Los Angeles

or

Option B
Coach arguably the 2nd best player in the league who plays a similar role as he did in a far more forgiving market.

LBJ wanted Lue, but apparently he doesn't control Jeanie like you think he does and they got Vogel. I still think we win a ring with Lue and that he would still be coaching this team.

As to Kidd, how does he "choose" the Lakers? Vogel was 1 season removed from a championship, so there was no way for Kidd to take the job. You make it sound like Kidd wouldn't have jumped at the chance to be the Lakers coach. Only problem, there was no opening. No doubt in my mind if there was, he would absolutely jump at that.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:

Straight up questions:

I think them internally putting a lot of the blame on Klutch meddling and their self-imposed hard cap would also explain their overall mentality and answer your questions. Feels to me that Jeannie is willing to give Rob carte blanche for the year short of being reckless (e.g. multiple FRPs for injury-prone players on long-term deals). Worst case scenario in her opinion might be that Lebron leaves but they get to avoid the repeater tax, recoup some value for AD, and reset for 2024/2025 free agency. I'm not saying it's a great plan, just what I imagine they could be thinking.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss interview

troy wrote:
Some things I liked reading...too many things I did not (re: Rambis and Rob). And yes, she's a daddy's girl. I think that HBO series is spot on about her.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-jeanie-buss-says-she-110046500.html

This is just awful. The telling line about paying the luxury tax is that she "went out on a limb" in deciding to do so. Lady, you should be paying luxury tax EVERY SEASON. Ridiculous.

Also, she's made it clear this season is Rob's last chance ... the stink of desperation coming off this franchise just became palpable. Now everyone knows, for sure, that Rob Pelinka HAS to make some deals to save his job. If he goes into next season just with WB, he's almost certain to be fired. This is just monumentally stupid. Either change out the FO or give Pelinka a vote of confidence and pretend like he's not on the hot seat. Incompetence.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss interview

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
troy wrote:
Some things I liked reading...too many things I did not (re: Rambis and Rob). And yes, she's a daddy's girl. I think that HBO series is spot on about her.

Lady, you should be paying luxury tax

she did didnt she?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss interview

troy wrote:

This is just awful. The telling line about paying the luxury tax is that she "went out on a limb" in deciding to do so. Lady, you should be paying luxury tax EVERY SEASON. Ridiculous.

Also, she's made it clear this season is Rob's last chance ... the stink of desperation coming off this franchise just became palpable. Now everyone knows, for sure, that Rob Pelinka HAS to make some deals to save his job. If he goes into next season just with WB, he's almost certain to be fired. This is just monumentally stupid. Either change out the FO or give Pelinka a vote of confidence and pretend like he's not on the hot seat. Incompetence.

Totally agreed, these show time OGs all operate in the same way, through intimidation via media messages and ultimatums to coaching staff and players. Is this still the 80s? Comparing this ownership with rest of league is like comparing a local “everything must go” electronic store to Apple store.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss interview

Halflife wrote:
troy wrote:

Lady, you should be paying luxury tax

she did didnt she?

GTFO. You literally deleted the second half of my sentence to fit your argument.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss interview

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
troy wrote:

Totally agreed, these show time OGs all operate in the same way, through intimidation via media messages and ultimatums to coaching staff and players. Is this still the 80s? Comparing this ownership with rest of league is like comparing a local “everything must go” electronic store to Apple store.

except we are worth more, 2 years removed from having greatest product. Introduced a new variation that the market claimed would be best seller but fell on its face.

So we are actually apple.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Jeanie rolled the dice with Westbrook and it came up snake eyes.
Jeanie rolled the dice with AD, hence the ring
Jeanie rolled the dice with Magic and Rob, hence the ring

This is the problem I keep warning about. The bubble title was proverbial double-edged sword. It's great that we won a title. No doubt about it. But it validates the way that the team is being run, which is not good.

In addition, it is tempting for some of you to act like the Westbrook trade was an aberration. It wasn't. It was part of the same plan that goes back to whenever we started talking to Lebron -- the idea of building a super team for Lebron. This wasn't a roll of the dice -- it was a night at the craps table. And now we don't have a lot of chips left.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss interview

troy wrote:

This is what’s truly scary, the only owners who talk and complain about luxury tax value/ return are cheapskates. She’s so awful, read the room.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
danzag wrote:

Jeanie would have kicked him out if he'd gone there. The "interview" was controlled, trust me.

I doubt she would have kicked him out.

More likely, she would have said, "I'm not going to comment on specific roster moves and specific players, but, generally speaking, we want to put together a winning team that ..." yada yada yada.

I mean, does anyone really expect Jeanie to dissect how Westbrook fits, etc.? She's only going to talk about the basketball stuff at a high level.

It's an interview after all; not a deposition.

That said, local reporters know the game. If they ask questions that make people uncomfortable or are highly adversarial, they are going to find those people are too busy for future interviews.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
troy wrote:
danzag wrote:

More likely, she would have said, "I'm not going to comment on specific roster moves and specific players, but, generally speaking, we want to put together a winning team that ..." yada yada yada.

I mean, does anyone really expect Jeanie to dissect how Westbrook fits, etc.? She's only going to talk about the basketball stuff at a high level.

That said, local reporters know the game. If they ask questions that make people uncomfortable or are highly adversarial, they are going to find those people are too busy for future interviews.

There's no right way to answer, but here's a different way she could have answered.

Joe Lacob talking about DLo.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

jeanies great.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

she's pissed at the result but doesn't make any management changes yah ok... still relying on her friends to find a new coach. oddly enough they found the last coach they just fired. this the definition of insanity. mark my words the next guy won't finish his contract
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
she's pissed at the result but doesn't make any management changes yah ok... still relying on her friends to find a new coach. oddly enough they found the last coach they just fired. this the definition of insanity. mark my words the next guy won't finish his contract

if he doesn't win he shouldn't.

Funny people whined about luke being here too long. Vogel, who I like did nothing with this team. Plenty of coaches have found ways to make russ HOF effective.

I get bron is gassed and has aged a decade in 2 years but vogel didn't have an answer for anything.

So if russ is staying why keep him?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
activeverb wrote:
troy wrote:
danzag wrote:

There's no right way to answer, but here's a different way she could have answered.

Joe Lacob talking about DLo.

Lacob was talking about how Russell might fit with Curry after Curry came back from an injury.

That's a lot easier than talking about Westbrook after a fiasco of a season where he obviously didn't fit.

But, also, I doubt Jeanie knows enough about basketball to articulately discuss how players can fit together.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

But, also, I doubt Jeanie knows enough about basketball to articulately discuss how players can fit together.

no ones cares about GSW and shes smart enough not to comment knowing that anything she says will get gassed no matter what.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

if he doesn't win he shouldn't.

Funny people whined about luke being here too long. Vogel, who I like did nothing with this team. Plenty of coaches have found ways to make russ HOF effective.

I get bron is gassed and has aged a decade in 2 years but vogel didn't have an answer for anything.

So if russ is staying why keep him?

Nonsensical crap. Vogel did plenty for this team before this last roster disaster. Westbrook? Zero titles for a reason. HOF effective at stat padding only, GTFO. Chump didn't bother a whit to develop his game as he aged, and he stands around on defense. Oh yeah that's right boo hoo the coach didn't "make" him play defense. And for this we gave away a solid defensive squad. Bad. Roster. Decision. And Jeannie is at the helm even if she delegates her role as leader that's still on her.

Jeannie stinks both as an owner and as a leader. Finding someone else to blame is the surest sign the latter is true.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Fresh off his interview with Jeanie, Plaschke had this to say in a podcast:

Quote:
I’ve heard that Phil would like LeBron traded. I’ve just heard that but I’ve got nothing to back that up. No on-the-record stuff to back that up. I do know that Phil would like to keep Westbrook and try to make that work with him

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Fresh off his interview with Jeanie, Plaschke had this to say in a podcast:

Quote:
I’ve heard that Phil would like LeBron traded. I’ve just heard that but I’ve got nothing to back that up. No on-the-record stuff to back that up. I do know that Phil would like to keep Westbrook and try to make that work with him

It's probably not a great idea to seek counsel from someone your star player has openly feuded with.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: