2022 Lakers Draft News (Lakers pick #35 Max Christie; Undrafted Signings: Shareef O'Neal, Pippen Jr.-2-way, Swider-2-way)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
If I can give smth to Lakers FO is scouting which is great. We have found so many great prospects and players through the years. I hope they can get some 2nd round pick somehow and draft someone good or at least serviceable player like Reaves. I am sure there is someone, just its their job to get that one pick.

The stark divide between the FO and scouting/drafting department is concerning. Almost like there are two different organizations with diametrically opposed plans. I'm sure the Buss kids weren't happy with the FO trading away literally ALL of the young pieces + many future picks, or with Lebron being the longest tenured Laker. That level of turnover just points to a chaotic, stressful and unhealthy environment. Despite that, I think they'll find a way to accumulate more talent. The g-league will always have another Caruso or Alvarado. Euroleague is another viable avenue. I did like Huertas but seems like they got him 5 years too late. He would be great in a modern offense.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

Me three days ago:

Quote:
The passing off the dribble, willingness to absorb contact, ability to get into the paint, find open teammates, and as I found out later, three level scoring make him an easy 1st-round talent in this draft.

He has been listed on mock drafts as a mid-2nd rounder multiple times, but what kind of second rounder is wing-sized, initiates the offense, shoots 44% of his total field goal attempts at the rim, and has a 65/40/40/80 (rim, 2pt, 3pt, FT) shooting profile? There are no 2nd rounders like that and if I simply read the statistical profile, I would have thought he was an edge lottery player.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/p/my-watch-has-begun?s=w

Today's release:

Quote:
Great to check in on 21-year-old Santa Clara star Jalen Williams earlier this week. Easy to see him generating substantial 1st round buzz during the pre-draft process. Super skilled in PnR w/ a 7-2 wingspan and defensive versatility. Averaged 18-4-4 on 55% from 2 and 40% from 3.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1524416424898293768

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Me three days ago:

Quote:
The passing off the dribble, willingness to absorb contact, ability to get into the paint, find open teammates, and as I found out later, three level scoring make him an easy 1st-round talent in this draft.

He has been listed on mock drafts as a mid-2nd rounder multiple times, but what kind of second rounder is wing-sized, initiates the offense, shoots 44% of his total field goal attempts at the rim, and has a 65/40/40/80 (rim, 2pt, 3pt, FT) shooting profile? There are no 2nd rounders like that and if I simply read the statistical profile, I would have thought he was an edge lottery player.

Today's release:

Quote:
Great to check in on 21-year-old Santa Clara star Jalen Williams earlier this week. Easy to see him generating substantial 1st round buzz during the pre-draft process. Super skilled in PnR w/ a 7-2 wingspan and defensive versatility. Averaged 18-4-4 on 55% from 2 and 40% from 3.

Do you think Nikola Jovic has star potential?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Me three days ago:

Quote:

Today's release:

Quote:

Slim chance, but I've had him edge lottery and keep debating his draft position as more information comes out. As high as 7 and as low as 15. I'd have more faith if he was more physically dominant attacking the rim, but he's too good at the small footwork 3s.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

I want to draft whoever Mike has on his list

Honestly some team should hire him into their college/international scouting department. He even nailed Reaves UDFA last cycle.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Me three days ago:

Quote:

Today's release:

Quote:

Slim chance, but I've had him edge lottery and keep debating his draft position as more information comes out. As high as 7 and as low as 15. I'd have more faith if he was more physically dominant attacking the rim, but he's too good at the small footwork 3s.

The last 4 MVPs have been awarded to international players, so maybe there's a chance...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Me three days ago:

Quote:

Today's release:

Quote:

The last 4 MVPs have been awarded to international players, so maybe there's a chance...

Being international isn't the qualifier to being an MVP.

You'd think the Spurs would have 12 MVPs with the international players they've taken in the past couple of decades.

Luka got next.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I want to draft whoever Mike has on his list

Honestly some team should hire him into their college/international scouting department. He even nailed Reaves UDFA last cycle.

I shouldn't have gone against my instincts with Scottie Barnes. But at minimum, I absolutely nailed #1, #2, and UDFA for LAL both times.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Me three days ago:

Quote:

Today's release:

Quote:

Being international isn't the qualifier to being an MVP.

You'd think the Spurs would have 12 MVPs with the international players they've taken in the past couple of decades.

Luka got next.

That was said tongue-in-cheek, because of how good the international talent pool is these days. Subconsciously, my brain is putting high expectations on Jovic because of his predecessors. In a way, the Spurs tapped into the European talent pool before it was popular, making them pioneers in talent evaluation. While Ginobili, Parker and co did not win MVPS, I can't remember any other team having a better payoff after drafting international talent. They dominated basketball for nearly 2 decades. As the worst case scenario, Ginobili finishes top 5 in MVP voting on any other team, if not MVP on a Duncan-less playoff team. He was that good and sacrificed his stats to ensure continuity and success. Tony Parker also won a FMVP during that time. I also remember Dirk's MVP and FMVP. It's not exactly an anomaly that international players are winning MVPs today. I think the signs were always there. Luka does look like he'll continue the tradition.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject:

The rest of the league has caught onto international scouting, but the Spurs prefer overseas players because there's a higher degree of execution, physicality, and team work compared to NCAA schools with stand out "franchise" one-and-dones. It especially helps that international hoops *can* have tougher defenses because there's no defensive 3 second rule, and stringent accounting for assists as well.

lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject:

is this place gonna shut down if the pels get the #1 pick on tuesday? lol
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

AD, General FA thread will blow up with piss & moan posts while VLF will have time of his LG career.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

I don't think this draft has a generational prospect, but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. There are some good players, maybe a few star caliber. I'm fond of Ivey and Sharpe. I think if the Lakers had their pick outside the top 10, they'd ride the Eurotrain and go with Jovic.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Clippers didnโ€™t have a draft pick but used cash to draft Brandon Boston in the second round. That is something that the Lakers should be doing, using their revenue to improve the team.

Of course you use the Clippers as an example.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, this guy Jamaree Bouyea the Lakers worked out had an excellent G League Elite Camp performance and tested 1st in most of the athletic drills.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
FWIW, this guy Jamaree Bouyea the Lakers worked out had an excellent G League Elite Camp performance and tested 1st in most of the athletic drills.

He would be fun. Not ideal.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Clippers didnโ€™t have a draft pick but used cash to draft Brandon Boston in the second round. That is something that the Lakers should be doing, using their revenue to improve the team.

Of course you use the Clippers as an example.

Yeah, too bad that I canโ€™t use the Lakers and I really donโ€™t expect them to be forward thinking.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

So how does this draft work tonight? If we get a better pick then the pelican we swap with them?
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
So how does this draft work tonight? If we get a better pick then the pelican we swap with them?

Pelicans own our pick if it is 1-10. Otherwise Memphis owns our pick. Lakers do not currently own a first or second round pick this year.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject:

why does david robinson look 4 inches shorter than chet holmgren when standing next to him? aren't they both supposed to be 7 footers? lol
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

It would be very funny, almost as funny as our eventual coaching hire, if the Lakers pick was #1
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject:

pels got #8, everyone can relax now, lol
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Blazers tanked only to get one above the Pels. Wow. Basketball gods do not reward tanking.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Are there any kids with high bball iq and instincts with mediocre measurements?
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Yeah, us giving up the #1 pick, Celts getting 18, us hiring Jackson, lol now that would have been an obscene end to a year
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 2 of 30
Jump to: